HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Arena Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2014, 09:08 AM
  #26
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
I hope they take inspiration from Sochi and put a score clock on the side of the building. Unfortunately, given the state of the team, it might be considered a source of visual pollution.
That arena looks tremendous if you ask me. The whole comlex they have there lit up at night is cool.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 10:55 AM
  #27
Draekke
Registered User
 
Draekke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
So any one know the details of the surrounding developments? Is the Edmontontonian just purposed or is going to go ahead?
What is this? I've never heard about it, and google is just as confused as I am...

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:35 PM
  #28
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
I hope they build a moat around the arena filled with oil. That would be badass. They can even light it on fire during games or something too.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:55 PM
  #29
Oilerzfan
Registered User
 
Oilerzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
What is this? I've never heard about it, and google is just as confused as I am...
http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/the-edmo...y-garden-tower



Also...

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=5

Oilerzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:14 PM
  #30
JeremyBresciani
Registered User
 
JeremyBresciani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
WOW! I love the concept. Retains some of the familiarity of the old Colliseum, but adds a modern twist.

JeremyBresciani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:41 AM
  #31
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,402
vCash: 130
Maybe it's just me, but it kinda looks funny. It's like the guy who's big toe is an inch and a half shorter than the second toe.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:55 AM
  #32
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,151
vCash: 500
No club99 for the new arena http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/95...get-on-budget/

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:41 AM
  #33
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,522
vCash: 500
To all the people saying they should've named it "Rogers Colliseum", "Rogers Forumn" etc they named it "Rogers Place" because EVERYONE will call it "Rogers" if they used "Rogers Colliseum" then everyone would just call it the Colliseum. No one is going to call the new arena "The Place".

They want to drill Rogers into your head every day multiple times for the rest of your life.

ROGERS OILERS HOCKEY ON ROGERS SPORTSNET AT ROGERS PLACE.

ROGERS ROGERS ROGERS ROGERS ROGERS ROGERS ROGERS ROGERS

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
  #34
tips
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
They have started work on the site. Looks like they are working on building a new parking lot for the casino, as the one that is there currently will obviously be torn out. The new lot will be to the north of the casino, right across the street from the Epcor building.

tips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:41 PM
  #35
yukoner88
Registered User
 
yukoner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dawson City, YT
Posts: 2,662
vCash: 500
I want a Roy Rogers all of a sudden

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:10 PM
  #36
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell
 
Del Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 50
CTV Edmonton ‏@ctvedmonton
Construction of Rogers Place begins Monday - North lane of 104 Ave (between 104 St and 102 St) closed #yeg

https://twitter.com/ctvedmonton/stat...63197053968384

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:06 AM
  #37
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it kinda looks funny. It's like the guy who's big toe is an inch and a half shorter than the second toe.
There will be more, the main thing restricting the height of the buildings downtown was the City Center Airport, thats gone so expect a lot of development over the next few years.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:23 AM
  #38
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
There will be more, the main thing restricting the height of the buildings downtown was the City Center Airport, thats gone so expect a lot of development over the next few years.
Well, that and demand, things like the price of land, and why anybody would build towers higher than that already constructed in Downtown Edmonton.

Why would that be?

From a cost and land pricing pov and even if you for some reason wanted to build a head office tower in Edmonton why would you build it very high?

As things stand I'm amazed whenever we get 30floors here.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:45 AM
  #39
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well, that and demand, things like the price of land, and why anybody would build towers higher than that already constructed in Downtown Edmonton.

Why would that be?

From a cost and land pricing pov and even if you for some reason wanted to build a head office tower in Edmonton why would you build it very high?

As things stand I'm amazed whenever we get 30floors here.
You build high office/apartment towers to make money. Edmonton is one of the hottest real estate markets in NA right now so I'm not surprised at all. Look at Calgary and the amount of huge skyscrapers they have. I think we'll end having a few 40-50 floor towers and a bunch right around that 30 mark, especially with a revitalized downtown. Lets remember that companies don't have to use the whole building and can rent out/sell suites/floors to smaller companies/residents.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:01 AM
  #40
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You build high office/apartment towers to make money. Edmonton is one of the hottest real estate markets in NA right now so I'm not surprised at all. Look at Calgary and the amount of huge skyscrapers they have. I think we'll end having a few 40-50 floor towers and a bunch right around that 30 mark, especially with a revitalized downtown. Lets remember that companies don't have to use the whole building and can rent out/sell suites/floors to smaller companies/residents.
Suburban Edmonton is one of the hottest real estate markets. Not necessarily downtown Edmonton (albeit much improvement in that sector)

No serious comparison can be made with Calgary which is regional head office territory for virtually any Oil related firm and who have the most head offices found west of Toronto.

Calgary is an entirely different game. EPCOR was the first office tower to go up in downtown Edmonton in decades.

Not many people live in Downtown Edmonton area either, and while that number is increasing there is going to already be a glut in that market with recent builds that have gone up or are not yet completed.

Next, and architects can speak to this a lot more than I can but building high in Edmonton Region is dependent on lot soil conditions and requires extensive cost building substrata to stabilize towers. With the higher you go incurring significant cost. These are not the best soil strata conditions for building high towers here.

Again why would anybody incur such cost when land prices are really not prohibitive?

Next, why would say an Oil firm even build a tower downtown. They can build headquarters anywhere and with much of this also taking place in the burbs. Anything even remotely do do with the Oil or supply industry is located, headquartered in the burbs for sake of cost efficacy, efficiency, and with Henday delivering on that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
  #41
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch
 
OilChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moneybags
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well, that and demand, things like the price of land, and why anybody would build towers higher than that already constructed in Downtown Edmonton.

Why would that be?

From a cost and land pricing pov and even if you for some reason wanted to build a head office tower in Edmonton why would you build it very high?

As things stand I'm amazed whenever we get 30floors here.
Not to mention the 150m height restriction that has been lifted with the closing of the airport.

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:12 AM
  #42
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch
 
OilChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moneybags
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
There will be more, the main thing restricting the height of the buildings downtown was the City Center Airport, thats gone so expect a lot of development over the next few years.
This^^^

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
  #43
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Not to mention the 150m height restriction that has been lifted with the closing of the airport.
My response was to that not being the ONLY thing that is restricting development of towers over 150m.

For instance in this market how many if any would have occurred anyways?

Over the next couple decades we'll see. The last few decades were pretty dead.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:28 PM
  #44
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My response was to that not being the ONLY thing that is restricting development of towers over 150m.

For instance in this market how many if any would have occurred anyways?

Over the next couple decades we'll see. The last few decades were pretty dead.
They were dead because downtown Edmonton has been an absolute hole for over a decade and there was a restriction on height. Won't be surprised if we see a few BIG skyscrapers go up on 104Ave now with the new arena development and Epcor tower there.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 03:10 PM
  #45
Spartan117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I don't care about the name that much. Rogers isn't horrible; however, I don't like "Place". It's sort of bland.
Same here. "Place" sounds so tiny and simple. It doesn't sound like it's a pillar of strength like "Stadium".

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 03:13 PM
  #46
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
Same here. "Place" sounds so tiny and simple. It doesn't sound like it's a pillar of strength like "Stadium".
Isn't there already a rogers place somewhere in Canada. Would have been nice to see a unique name.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:44 PM
  #47
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
I saw on the Business of Hockey board that Kevin Lowe was getting specifics on the roof scoreboard at Sochi. Any chance we get one of those?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:00 PM
  #48
soothsayer
Registered User
 
soothsayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Isn't there already a rogers place somewhere in Canada. Would have been nice to see a unique name.
Another poster touched on this in different thread, but the name is quite deliberately made so that "Rogers" will always be mentioned when referring to the arena. No one is going to shorten it to "the place," like they would if the name had "coliseum" or "forum" in it. Rogers wants Rogers everywhere.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 02:10 AM
  #49
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I saw on the Business of Hockey board that Kevin Lowe was getting specifics on the roof scoreboard at Sochi. Any chance we get one of those?
CBC mentioned something about this before the telecast, said that the configurations of the roof will make it possible. Didn't actually here if it is a go or not though.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 10:47 AM
  #50
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
They were dead because downtown Edmonton has been an absolute hole for over a decade and there was a restriction on height. Won't be surprised if we see a few BIG skyscrapers go up on 104Ave now with the new arena development and Epcor tower there.
Seriously...Fort Mac has plans for a 45 floor skyscraper in the next couple of years, so I think Edmonton could handle a few.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.