HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumoured fight in Habs Dressing Room

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Never criticize vigilance. Nothing wrong with a neighbourhood watch committee. Of course, everyone says that until the lynchings start.
I think a good Lynching is what we need....to add some excitement during our current slump.

02-15-2007, 01:27 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Lets start with one first line player. A guy who Higgins and co. can feed off of until they develop into legit first line guys.
A guy like Iginla, just as an example, he isn't available, who can create his own chances thru wanting to, makes Koivu's job easier, let's Higgins find openings, or gives him passing options. I don't think the core is necessarily that bad,just missing a piece that makes everyone better. It was wrong to expect Koivu to do that. That's more of a fan issue though, as I believe the team knows this,just hasn't been able to adress it.

The question though is, who ? You have to assume a non playoff team is the target. Any ideas ?

Old
02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
A guy like Iginla, just as an example, he isn't available, who can create his own chances thru wanting to, makes Koivu's job easier, let's Higgins find openings, or gives him passing options. I don't think the core is necessarily that bad,just missing a piece that makes everyone better. It was wrong to expect Koivu to do that. That's more of a fan issue though, as I believe the team knows this,just hasn't been able to adress it.

The question though is, who ? You have to assume a non playoff team is the target. Any ideas ?
There might be a few players would could target, but until we know for sure which teams will become Sellers....I personally don't have any answers.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:31 PM
zednik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
We have a better D and better goalies.. And more depth upfront even if they have better players.
Recchi, Malone, Armstrong, Ouellet, Gonchar, Talbot,...

Old
02-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Give more details....You want us to trade everyone and spend 4-5 years at the bottom to have good draft picks???
Did I say that? This has nothing to do with acquiring draft picks...this team has a few assets that could get us immediate help as well as help in the future.

Gainey has handcuffed himself by paying average players, above average salaries...He's got to either hope that miraculously, those average players start playing above average consistently or he's going to have to move some of the assets he does have (Souray, Markov, Ryder) to get those average players more help.

This team is going to go as far as guys like Koivu, Kovalev, are going to bring them. They don't step up, the Habs don't go anywhere.

You guys realize that our leading scorer is Sheldon Souray a defensman with 47pts?? At this point, I don't even think a forward will score 20 goals or 60 pts, which is ridiculous and a complete joke when you consider the talent on this team, which isn't great, but come on! Take away the names on a scoresheet, and it looks like an expansion team. It's unnaceptable IMO.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Mathletic

so long for team spirit

Old
02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Did I say that? This has nothing to do with acquiring draft picks...this team has a few assets that could get us immediate help as well as help in the future.

Gainey has handcuffed himself by paying average players, above average salaries...He's got to either hope that miraculously, those average players start playing above average consistently or he's going to have to move some of the assets he does have (Souray, Markov, Ryder) to get those average players more help.

This team is going to go as far as guys like Koivu, Kovalev, are going to bring them. They don't step up, the Habs don't go anywhere.
Very true...if guys like Koivu, Kovalev don't step up we are in big trouble. But trading some of our assets (Souray, Markov, Ryder), I don't think will add to our team. The reason why I say this is, any team that would be interested in these players would be teams that are playoff contenders.

So...if you are a playoff team...why would you give up players that would help your team during a playoff run? The answer....they wouldn't...the best we could get for those 3 players would be draft picks and young prospects that aren't ready to contribute.

Now if you want to write off the season for the Habs...then yes, that would be a good idea. But if you have any hopes of making the playoffs, trading these players don't make a lot of sense to me.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Simon Gagne from a non-playoff team and Brad Richards as the wild-card. Short-term fixes of Sakic, Forsberg, and Tkachuk are appealing aswell.

I just refuse to believe that we don't have the necessary trade ingredients to fetch one of those guys. Even if we overpay, it's time to get something like this done. The next little while is "go-big or go-home for Gainey"... I'm going to be sick if we lose out on all those guys only to land an underachiever that no one else wanted which is becoming the trend with Bob.

Old
02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Reuben

I heard it was Souray and Kovalev invovled in the altercation but who knows really its a soap opera in that room again, I mean we have guys like Rivet who get Benched and can't understand why and seems to think he wasn't playing that badly. If carbo was benching people based on preformance Rivet was one the first in line for this honour imo... I can't rememeber how many givaways he committed that lead directly to opposing teams goals. He did nothing no physical play whatsoever from him either so really he brought nothing to the table except his so called leadership.

He gets benched then cries about it to the media ya that's a great example to set, go job. And the fact that he didn't think he was playing bad is equally disturbing. to get better the first thing u have to do is identify the problem/problems and then takes steps to remedy it.. yes I know there were plenty of candidates for a benching at the time. But the fact that he and even some fans seem to think there was nothing wrong with the way he was playing comfirms to me carbo made the right decision.

Old
02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I heard it was Souray and Kovalev invovled in the altercation but who knows really its a soap opera in that room again, I mean we have guys like Rivet who get Benched and can't understand why and seems to think he wasn't playing that badly. If carbo was benching people based on preformance Rivet was one the first in line for this honour imo... I can't rememeber how many givaways he committed that lead directly to opposing teams goals. He did nothing no physical play whatsoever from him either so really he brought nothing to the table except his so called leadership.

He gets benched then cries about it to the media ya that's a great example to set, go job. And the fact that he didn't think he was playing bad is equally disturbing. to get better the first thing u have to do is identify the problem/problems and then takes steps to remedy it.. yes I know there were plenty of candidates for a benching at the time. But the fact that he and even some fans seem to think there was nothing wrong with the way he was playing comfirms to me carbo made the right decision.
I would hardly consider the way Rivet reacted as "crying to the media". he was ( as always) proffesional and respectful. Its not his fault if the media is asking him about the benching, what is he supposed to say - " Its great to be benched".

Old
02-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Reuben

No he is suppose say i haven't been playing well and I have to be better.. which would be the truth... to me it just sets a bad example to the youngsters. if rivet can't see why he was benched that's his problem until he does he should stay on the bench. Samsanov even admitted he was producing like he should be after his second benching. Strange i see guys like Higgins getting interviewed after a game.. Despite the fact he was one of our better players, he even says he can be better and has to get back to what made him successful early in the year which is Skating and driving the net,
every player on the team should anylyze there own play (which is one thing u actually have control of) and find ways to contribute more. If you can't score and in a slump park yourself in front of the net. there is no secret this is the way to get out of a scoring slump... and If u are unwilling to pay the price in front of the net to get a few garbage goals then find another way to help preferable by stepping up your defensive game, maybe someone(besides Begin) could lay down to block shots once in a while also, or hey even maybe try and finish your checks every chance u get.

Old
02-15-2007, 02:51 PM
antidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I heard it was Souray and Kovalev invovled in the altercation but who knows really its a soap opera in that room again, ....
Where did you heard that ?

Old
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
One Trick Pony

The player who will be traded will be the guy who hit kovalev

Old
02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Reuben

I think yvon pendneault but not sure just what i heard thats all just pure speculation on whoever said maybe someone from the bell centre staff said something i dunno. im just stating what i heard, who knows if any truth to it or not

Old
02-15-2007, 02:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

There was no fight.

Old
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Reuben

well altercation,yelling match whatever u want to call it ,just symantics. If true seems like more passion in the room after a loss than passion on the ice

Old
02-15-2007, 03:01 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Amazing how losing can change the chemistry so fast.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
They should only take hotel rooms with a double size bed when they are away...the chemistry would come back...

Old
02-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
They should only take hotel rooms with a double size bed when they are away...the chemistry would come back...
My wife disagrees.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Chemistry, team spirit, etc. All funny stuff.
I think the guy who said it best was good ol' Felipe Alou; for him team spirit did not exist...winning was everything. Win and the boys will be happy, they'll love each other...lose and they'll yell at each other. Exactly what happened with our "Glorieux" this year.

By the way, there was 1 thing that Kovalev said that bugged me a bit (in La Presse): "I got benched, but other players do mistake as well..."

That's exactly what we don't need. Look at what you can do for the team, control your game. Reminds me of Theodore blaming other players instead of admitting he had a bad game...

Old
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Laurentides

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
There was no fight.

Its the second time your saying that.......change de disque.

It could have happened since its quite common in sports teams that fights occur.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:45 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Simon Gagne from a non-playoff team and Brad Richards as the wild-card. Short-term fixes of Sakic, Forsberg, and Tkachuk are appealing aswell.

I just refuse to believe that we don't have the necessary trade ingredients to fetch one of those guys. Even if we overpay, it's time to get something like this done. The next little while is "go-big or go-home for Gainey"... I'm going to be sick if we lose out on all those guys only to land an underachiever that no one else wanted which is becoming the trend with Bob.
Doing that on the ufa market is understandable. Unless signature at gun point can be done. I don't like the results of plan d signings either. Trading is the way to go, I believe, and the chips probably are there if you want to get 'the guy'.

I'm not sure the short term serves any other purpose other than to get in this year. I thought you were more referring long term. I like Gagne, but to me, he isn't enough. When it's all said and done, I don't know that he's better than Higgins. Richards, the player, sure, the contract, well, it'd take some real creativity, on both sides.

I think we'll see a name coming over in a deal. The worry is that whether the losing streak has turned hom off of a rental, like Guerin, if he was the guy, or Tkaczuk for that matter.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentides View Post

It could have happened since its quite common in sports teams that fights occur.
That's right. You could punch me in the face and we'd still be friends. I'd prefer if you didn't though.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentides View Post

I refuse to believe it until I get proof.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
RE-HABS

Don't know if anyone actually threw punches, but this was a CBC column on the "29 Minute" Meeting....Freidman says that the meeting started over a screaming or yelling match between Kovalev and Souray.

Here is the link if no one has seen it, sorry if it has been posted.

Link:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/sportsblog/...onality_t.html

QUOTE:

Some reports out of Montreal indicate Sheldon Souray and Alexei Kovalev started the screaming match. It’s not certain if the two were yelling at each other, but these two have a history. You might remember Game 4 of the 2004 first-round series between the Canadiens and the Bruins. Kovalev gave up on the puck when slashed in overtime, Glen Murray picked it up and scored the winner. Boston went up 3-1 in the series. Immediately afterward, Souray ripped Kovalev publicly.

Kovalev isn’t exactly a blameless target. He has a history of infuriating teammates/coaches/management. There’s a well-known story about Mike Keenan getting so angry at Kovalev’s lengthy shifts that he tried to punish him by refusing to let him off the ice. Kovalev loved it, with the coach getting angrier as he realized the player didn’t realize it was a punishment.

Closed Thread