Notices

Why Ference isn't similar to Sweeney

Old
02-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
No, actually I think he was awful. Just because he had a "job" for a number of years -doesn't mean he wasn't lousy at it. I think we've all worked with people who are not good at what they do, but who still managed to hang around for a number of years.
Just look at Jason York.

As for playing all of them with the B's - I can think of a number of reasons why that was - first he was a good friend of Ray's - second he never was at risk to embarass the team in public with DUI's or other issues - 3rd he never got or asked for much money - 4th he was a good friend of Ray's - 5th he was a good friend of Ray's.
Steve Kasper was his best friend. Dealt.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:19 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Well I don't think he was terrible. Better defensively than Paul Coffee on his best day. There were far far worse, and I was never a big Sweeney fan. I'd piss on a electrical socket to see half of his effort from some current Bruins.

Bourque made a lot of guys NHL worthy who without him, probably weren't. Think Gill is in the NHL w/o the experience he gained with Bourque? I don't think so.

Forget about Sweeney, explain the love affair with Boynton, who only stood out because everyone else just sucked. I never got that one.

You can make a case for the "Rudy type" allegiance with guys like Reasoner, Leach etc. For all his shortcomings, Sweeney was an absolute work horse. One problem I see in this region is, we take for granted Orr, Park, Bourque, and don't realize how special they are until left with the mere mortals like Sweeney.

I stopped reading there.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
I stopped reading there.
Paul Coffey was a 2 on 1 machine. He was never the one either.

Old
02-15-2007, 12:48 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Good point and it would have been pertinent if I said that Sweeney was Ray's best friend, but I didn't. I said he was a good friend of Ray's. Which he was.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:52 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauts View Post
So Ray Bourque wanted his buddy along side despite the fact that he was an awful hockey player and he (Ray) somehow managed to convince Bs management to go along with this for 15 or so seasons. I get it now. Nice talking with you.
If you think that his relationship with Bourque and the fact that he played for relatively low pay and that he was a good citizen and that he never had even a marginally negative thing to say about management for the entire time he was a Bruin, had nothing to do with the fact that he played here for so long, then you are very naive.

Face it, every team has a few Sweeney's - guys who aren't very good or productive but who fill out the roster.

You can't have 20 all-stars and if given the choice between a young punk, a malcontent, a hothead that can cost your team with bad penalties or players with other issues - and a guy like Sweeney to fill one of those spots - anyone would be crazy not to take the Sweeney type. That doesn't make him a good player, though.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
erfus

Quote:
If only Don Sweeney had some trade value, we could've had another Bobby Carpenter.

I think Sweeney was a decent defenseman in the prime of his career. However, even in that prime of his career, he was occasionally taken advantage of as a result of his physical limitations.

Ference will also hopefully bring a bit more offensive ability and sense than Sweeney ever did.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfus View Post
If only Don Sweeney had some trade value, we could've had another Bobby Carpenter.

I think Sweeney was a decent defenseman in the prime of his career. However, even in that prime of his career, he was occasionally taken advantage of as a result of his physical limitations.

Ference will also hopefully bring a bit more offensive ability and sense than Sweeney ever did.
I agree, what you would have gotten in return wouldn't exceed what Sweeney was.

I guess that's all I'm saying, he was decent, and worked hard. Can't even beleive I'm even defending Sweeney. I used to close my eyes when he carried the puck.

Ference puts far more mean and nasty back into the B's than Sweeney ever did. I'll take that right now. But whether or not he'll be the work horse that Sweeney was, is too early to say. One big difference, Ference has a shot at being a fan favorite because he can be nasty. Sweeney, not so much.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Durnberg

Sweeney allowed Bourque to be what he was, Bourque could be more aggressive and offensive because he could rely on Sweeney to back him up. I am just glad you guys finally stopped crying about getting rid of that useless Brad Stuart. Originally he was the only bright spot for the bruins in the Thorton trade, he proved to be a waste of money in a short amount of time. As we all know Preems was a waste of space out there and Brad was having a hard time at the best of times. I was really happy about the trade the minute I heard about it, management finally did something right that will help the team. Chuck is going to be a spark as well, mark my words, he is exactly what we need.

- Durny

Durnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnberg View Post
Sweeney allowed Bourque to be what he was, Bourque could be more aggressive and offensive because he could rely on Sweeney to back him up. I am just glad you guys finally stopped crying about getting rid of that useless Brad Stuart. Originally he was the only bright spot for the bruins in the Thorton trade, he proved to be a waste of money in a short amount of time. As we all know Preems was a waste of space out there and Brad was having a hard time at the best of times. I was really happy about the trade the minute I heard about it, management finally did something right that will help the team. Chuck is going to be a spark as well, mark my words, he is exactly what we need.

- Durny
Right, Sweeney really made Bourque the player he was. Absolutely, spot on with that.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnberg View Post

- Durny
I have to agree with Chippa on point 1. I think you could have and they pretty much did team Bourque with anyone. Sweeny DID not make Bourque better.

Point 2 I have to disagree on as well. Brad Stuart was not useless out on the ice and neither was Prims, they were just either misused or fit in with the rest of the team(with the odd exception this year ->see M Savard) this year.

I do have to agree that I was not sad about the trade or thought we got to little, because this board does have a way of overvaluing our guys fast and in a big way.

Last. I cant/wont mark anyones word on this board, wether they have 4 posts or 4000. Way to many people feel that they are bang on about everything around here and are wrong 90% or more of the time

Path Of The Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Durnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
Right, Sweeney really made Bourque the player he was. Absolutely, spot on with that.
Haha, didn't mean it quite like that it is however exactly what I typed .

What I meant was that he was able to take chances because Sweeney was there to back him up, Bourque knew he could rely on Sweeney if he got caught. Sort of like McCabe and Kaberle in Toronto. Except either one of them are as good as Bourque or Sweeney. I need to proof read what I type, expecially if I am going to continue to have brainfarts and type things like that.

Durnberg is offline   Reply With Quote