HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

its kinda wierd..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2007, 10:15 PM
  #1
Malice430
Registered User
 
Malice430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Forest, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
its kinda wierd..

.. i was looking at some of the year-by-year Kings rosters and im surprised by who i can and cant remember. i can remember people like Scott Bjugstad and Mikko Makela from the 80's, but not people like Kai Nurminen and Len Barrie from the 90's.

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
  #2
Shootmaster_44
Registered User
 
Shootmaster_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
.. i was looking at some of the year-by-year Kings rosters and im surprised by who i can and cant remember. i can remember people like Scott Bjugstad and Mikko Makela from the 80's, but not people like Kai Nurminen and Len Barrie from the 90's.
Kai Nurminen, I had forgotten about him. Wasn't he supposed to be the next big thing out of Europe when he came over? Either that or I am confusing him with Jere Karalahti?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
  #3
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Kai Nurminen, I had forgotten about him. Wasn't he supposed to be the next big thing out of Europe when he came over? Either that or I am confusing him with Jere Karalahti?
That's Karalahti, who held the "best player not in the NHL" for a short while and for that short while that title was over-hyped because it came with the tag "...last one was Peter Forsberg" also.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:25 PM
  #4
Shootmaster_44
Registered User
 
Shootmaster_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
That's Karalahti, who held the "best player not in the NHL" for a short while and for that short while that title was over-hyped because it came with the tag "...last one was Peter Forsberg" also.

- R
Would Karalahti have lived up to that tag had not been a huge drug addict? He showed some promise, but then made the huge mistake of admitting to using heroin to Sports Illustrated. Its nice that he came "clean" but I can't remember any failed tests in the NHL. But it was shortly after that interview came out that he was shipped to Nashville and then run out of the league.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:47 PM
  #5
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
he had one hell of a playoff series!

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:48 PM
  #6
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Would Karalahti have lived up to that tag had not been a huge drug addict? He showed some promise, but then made the huge mistake of admitting to using heroin to Sports Illustrated. Its nice that he came "clean" but I can't remember any failed tests in the NHL. But it was shortly after that interview came out that he was shipped to Nashville and then run out of the league.
I think he failed a test in 2002 and was suspended for almost the entire season. Then he went back to Europe.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:50 PM
  #7
Malice430
Registered User
 
Malice430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Forest, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think he failed a test in 2002 and was suspended for almost the entire season. Then he went back to Europe.
i thought that was Lilja

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:22 AM
  #8
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
i thought that was Lilja
Nope it was Karalahti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jere_Karalahti

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
  #9
Primakov!
Registered User
 
Primakov!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Yesteryear
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
The NHL's substance abuse policy includes the prohibition of alcohol consumption, which was the kicker to seeing him leave the NHL really.

Quote:
Suspended Nashville Predators defenseman Jere Karalahti has decided to quit the NHL and return to his native Finland rather than quit drinking. Karalahti, 27, received a six-month suspension without pay this summer for a third violation of the league's substance abuse policy. He isn't sure whether he will be permitted to play even if he participates in a rehabilitation program. Karalahti added that if he were to continue in the NHL "I would have to be a teetotaler. I don't really believe I can do that, and I don't even have the will to try. If I know myself at all, I know that zero tolerance with alcohol won't work."
Source

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:07 AM
  #10
Shootmaster_44
Registered User
 
Shootmaster_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
The NHL's substance abuse policy includes the prohibition of alcohol consumption, which was the kicker to seeing him leave the NHL really.



Source
Wow that's kind of crazy. How does the NHL justify this when the league provides the Stanley Cup Champions with champaign after the final game? Seems a little hypocritical to say a guy violated the substance abuse policy and turn around and give out bottles to the champs. It should be one policy for everyone.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:09 AM
  #11
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.
 
Beauty, eh?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
The Kings roster over the years is littered with players like that. I've been following the team since 1990, and have seen the likes of many a journeyman.

Lonnie Loach
Mikael Lindholm
David Goverde
Dan Currie
So on
So forth

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:10 AM
  #12
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.
 
Beauty, eh?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Wow that's kind of crazy. How does the NHL justify this when the league provides the Stanley Cup Champions with champaign after the final game? Seems a little hypocritical to say a guy violated the substance abuse policy and turn around and give out bottles to the champs. It should be one policy for everyone.
I'm pretty sure it's the team (organization) that provides the players with booze for the post-game Cup celebration.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:46 AM
  #13
Malice430
Registered User
 
Malice430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Forest, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the team (organization) that provides the players with booze for the post-game Cup celebration.
(nice name btw)
i was gonna say that they probably dont care since its the last game, but then i remember that the champagne flows after each round is won, plus when a divison is clinched, and sometimes when a team clinches a playoff berth.

Ive also seen sean avery drinking around town before in the middle of the season too. i didnt think that the NHL cared about drinking as long as it wasnt excessive and it didnt hinder the players ability on the ice.

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:43 AM
  #14
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.
 
Beauty, eh?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Nothing out of the ordinary - drinking a beer after a game is the canadian way

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
  #15
Malice430
Registered User
 
Malice430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Forest, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Nothing out of the ordinary - drinking a beer after a game is the canadian way
really? i thought it was before-during-after a game, kinda like american softball leagues

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:46 PM
  #16
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 43,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
The NHL's substance abuse policy includes the prohibition of alcohol consumption, which was the kicker to seeing him leave the NHL really.



Source
It's probably designed to confront alcohol ABUSE as opposed to simple alcohol consumption. I assume the NHL overlooks casual drinking, but if a player becomes a raging drunk, I can see the NHL having a policy about that.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
  #17
lakings41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Would Karalahti have lived up to that tag had not been a huge drug addict? He showed some promise, but then made the huge mistake of admitting to using heroin to Sports Illustrated. Its nice that he came "clean" but I can't remember any failed tests in the NHL. But it was shortly after that interview came out that he was shipped to Nashville and then run out of the league.
I thought Karalahti was amazing and himself and Matti were the reason why Forsberg had his spleen removed. He was absolutely crushing in the playoffs.
His drug problem was that of heroin very early in his career and it took years for him to finally cross the ocean. In the end he basically just came out and said that he was not going to be a teetotaler.
The guy like to put a few back. Big deal! Have you ever seen Chelios drink? His problem was not drugs in the end but that he couldn't drink either and that was part of his restriction. That's why he bolted back to Finland.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
  #18
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
I thought Karalahti was amazing and himself and Matti were the reason why Forsberg had his spleen removed. He was absolutely crushing in the playoffs.
His drug problem was that of heroin very early in his career and it took years for him to finally cross the ocean. In the end he basically just came out and said that he was not going to be a teetotaler.
The guy like to put a few back. Big deal! Have you ever seen Chelios drink? His problem was not drugs in the end but that he couldn't drink either and that was part of his restriction. That's why he bolted back to Finland.


it is also well known that dope fiends use alcohol to kick... my guess is that Jere was still having difficulty with heroin even when he was playing for Los Angeles.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:25 PM
  #19
lakings41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
it is also well known that dope fiends use alcohol to kick... my guess is that Jere was still having difficulty with heroin even when he was playing for Los Angeles.
Well I don't know about that. The only thing I heard was that it involved booze. So I won't speculate on the drugs.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
  #20
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
Well I don't know about that. The only thing I heard was that it involved booze. So I won't speculate on the drugs.

i'm just venturing a guess given my experience with someone suffering from heroin addiction.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.