HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier

Old
03-01-2014, 07:38 AM
DecadesofFutility

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Vinny should be the last big name FA whose better days are past him to be signed by the Flyers. The sexy but no substance signings of old vets has got to stop. I couldn't care less about all the hype it creates and how good he looks in a Flyers jersey blah blah blah. All the guy is turning out to be is a PR ploy.
The only way we need Vinny is if Couts or B. Schenn is going to be traded for a Dman.
We stockpile #1 pick centers and then man our backend with other teams leftovers.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 09:19 AM
deadhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
If you have the money and the klout to sign something for nothing, you do it. That money won't make our team any better if it's sitting in Wells Fargo (not the center)
And if better options arise we can sell him for some small payment.
With a cap and guaranteed contracts, you're not signing "something for nothing." As we've seen, dumping bad contracts has a signficant cost, often requiring giving away draft picks. If they can find a sucker, I'd move him now for anything they can get just to get rid of the future salary hangover.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Tripod

It is frustrating to see us with extra C and have them NOT be able to move to wing.

Remember Carter on the wing? Sucked. Goes to LA...no issue.

San Jose is FILLED with Centers on the wing, no issue.

Why the hell can't we have that success?

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Flyers14
Rookie User

To early to give up on vinny. He will prove his worth on the stretch.

Flyers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Curufinwe

Not at LW. It doesn't fit his skills.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Garbage Goal

It isn't a rule that you have to use all your cap room. Cap room is a good thing as it allows you flexibility in many ways and makes signings as well as trades easier tobacco mad ate. Which is why no signing is actually just "free ". Especially one like Lecavaliers.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 12:13 PM
DecadesofFutility

Why does Homer sign centers then expect them to be able to become wingers???
Why doesn't he just sign a LW or RW rather than attempt to force a square peg into a round hole?
And if he signs another slow lumbering defenseman I am ready to pull all my hair out.

Old
03-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Tripod

Could have added Raymond for 1 -1.5 mill for 1 year. Then we would have a LW who could get points and have better team speed. Better balanced team IMO

At his age, I don't see Vinny learning a new position and excelling at it. If the are going to keep him, then trade Schenn for a young D.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Curufinwe

I would have preferred MacArthur, even at more than double the cost.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 04:12 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Vinny has 2 points coming out of the break. He'll be fine as long as he stays healthy.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 12:45 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
With a cap and guaranteed contracts, you're not signing "something for nothing." As we've seen, dumping bad contracts has a signficant cost, often requiring giving away draft picks. If they can find a sucker, I'd move him now for anything they can get just to get rid of the future salary hangover.
When we eventually move Vinny we won't lose a pick

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 12:49 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It isn't a rule that you have to use all your cap room. Cap room is a good thing as it allows you flexibility in many ways and makes signings as well as trades easier tobacco mad ate. Which is why no signing is actually just "free ". Especially one like Lecavaliers.
Tobacco mad ate?

It's true that no signing is free, you only get 50. However, 4.5mil is cheap, and it's not handcuffing us in any real way. The bigger problem is that teams aren't letting players hit UFA, so beggars can't be choosers.

Old
03-02-2014, 03:42 AM
Wixztor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Vinny has 2 points coming out of the break. He'll be fine as long as he stays healthy.
I think so too, but I just can't wrap my head around how slow he looks out there. It really looks like he's just not hustling. Is he not well conditioned?

Obviously he's not happy with the wing situation, but the thought has crossed my mind that he may be unhappy with the team's overall situation. It seemed quite clear that he expected a top-tier team in Philly this year. What if he's so severely underwhelmed that he just doesn't give a full 100 %?

Wixztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 05:51 AM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixztor View Post
I think so too, but I just can't wrap my head around how slow he looks out there. It really looks like he's just not hustling. Is he not well conditioned?

Obviously he's not happy with the wing situation, but the thought has crossed my mind that he may be unhappy with the team's overall situation. It seemed quite clear that he expected a top-tier team in Philly this year. What if he's so severely underwhelmed that he just doesn't give a full 100 %?
I am fine with trading him for a young developing defenseman or a real winger.
Then the experiment is over and we can move on from running an alumni team
and create a real team with a chance to compete for a cup.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:33 AM
deadhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixztor View Post

Maybe he's just old and slow?

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Tobacco mad ate?

It's true that no signing is free, you only get 50. However, 4.5mil is cheap, and it's not handcuffing us in any real way. The bigger problem is that teams aren't letting players hit UFA, so beggars can't be choosers.
Yeah, I'm posting from my phone so weird autocorrect stuff pops up.

When I read your post I was like "what the hell is tobacco mad ate?" then a few seconds later I was like "oh...****".

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Esq.

Does Vinny have a NTC? If so, do we know if he's be willing to waive it, or for which teams? I like him, I just don't think he fits in with our current situation. I wonder how he feels about the way he's been utilized thus far and whether he's be open to going to a team where he'd be a top 6 center rather than a winger moving all over the place in the lineup.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 02:24 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

OT winner today...enough said about Vinny. There are other players on this team that should be gone over Vinny. ie: Downie and Hartnell, Hartnell missed two empty nets vs the Rangers and can't seem to find the net when it matters. Downie just takes dumbass penalties

03-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Prairie Spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
Maybe he's just old and slow?
One thing that was prevalent during Vinny's early years in Tampa is that he needed help to be motivated. Torts had to light a fire under him every now and again. Might be the same thing here. Unmotivated/unfamiliar position=ineffective Vinny.

Prairie Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
OT winner today...enough said about Vinny. There are other players on this team that should be gone over Vinny. ie: Downie and Hartnell, Hartnell missed two empty nets vs the Rangers and can't seem to find the net when it matters. Downie just takes dumbass penalties
Ideally, I think the Flyers should move Downie, Meszaros, Hartnell, Grossmann, Streit, and Lecavalier (probably in that order, too). Realistically, I think they will probably move three of those six at some point before next season begins - most likely, Downie, Meszaros and either Grossmann or Hartnell.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 03:16 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Ideally, I think the Flyers should move Downie, Meszaros, Hartnell, Grossmann, Streit, and Lecavalier (probably in that order, too). Realistically, I think they will probably move three of those six at some point before next season begins - most likely, Downie, Meszaros and either Grossmann or Hartnell.
I agree except Grossmann before Hartnell, and hang on to Streit and Vinny. They're at least excellent on the PP.

I think this break helped Vinny, he's been good these 3 games. I feel like Vinny can end up being like Briere with uninspired/inconsistent play in the regular season and turning it on for the playoffs. Not to mention that he's got fantastic experience as a leader and winner that I want to keep around. We need his shot too, no one on our team even comes close to his slap shot.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I agree except Grossmann before Hartnell, and hang on to Streit and Vinny. They're at least excellent on the PP.

I think this break helped Vinny, he's been good these 3 games. I feel like Vinny can end up being like Briere with uninspired/inconsistent play in the regular season and turning it on for the playoffs. Not to mention that he's got fantastic experience as a leader and winner that I want to keep around. We need his shot too, no one on our team even comes close to his slap shot.
Vinnie also adds a lot of size and a bit snarl with it, which comes in handy in the stretch run and playoffs.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 03:26 PM
blinds

The whole logjam at center is definitely an issue though, especially with Laughton coming up and Couts will probably be better than a 3C in the next couple seasons.

I think ideally we would have Couts - Laughton as 2C and 3C and have one of Schenn or Giroux move to wing. It's a tough decision because while I'd like to see Giroux on the wing because I feel like his game is more suited for it, in intense games like today's and like those in the playoffs against the Pens he's the guy you want in the dot and all over the ice.

I feel like Schenn's the real enigma of our centers. It's hard to tell whether he'll develop into a capable 1C (allowing G to move to wing) or if he'll stay around 2C capability. If he can't take over 1C duties, that leaves the Flyers in a hard place choosing between Couts and Schenn for the 2C spot. What management obviously wanted was to see him move to wing, but thats been unproductive and it's pretty clear he's better at center.

Schenn's future is hard to pinpoint, but I would have liked to see him be given at least a season on wing to give him the time to adjust. Switching him between LW and C hasn't given him a chance to really learn the wing. But really, the whole point is I think that both Vinny and Schenn are better at C, but Schenn would be better suited to LW longterm and should have been given the chance to learn the position better and fight through the adversity. Also, since he's younger it might be expected that he would learn the position better than Vinny who's been a center for much longer.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 05:54 PM
lancer247

Let's see Laughton contribute for a full season before we worry about a log jam at center.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, I'm posting from my phone so weird autocorrect stuff pops up.

When I read your post I was like "what the hell is tobacco mad ate?" then a few seconds later I was like "oh...****".
Haha yeah that's what I figured..strangest auto correct I've seen in a while tho