HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray, Markov & other UFA

Old
02-15-2007, 07:41 PM
bigmcbob

vCash: 500
Souray, Markov & other UFA

Why is there no comments from the front office on signing Souray or Markov before the deadline? Seeing what other teams are getting for rentals makes one think hard about moving these guys out.

bigmcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
GSK*

I though Gainey was waiting for both to know how well they can play all season. It will be brutal if he sign both of time like 10 games ago and after that starting to suck or not worth anymore the money he gave to them.

If they want to resign in Montreal, they will.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:49 PM
bjac

While it sucks that the Habs MIGHT become sellers (I'd say its 50:50 right now), ultimately it would make our team a better team going into next year. Trading Souray, Markov (hopefully they resign him though) and the other UFA would bring back some solid young players and 1st-3rd round picks. Also our draft position would be decent if the Habs really tank the season... It would give some younger players a bigger role in the team for the last 15-20 games also. One thing about Markov is that the return might not be enough to justify abandoning the chances of resigning him for next year. He is a great D-man.

With all this said, I still have faith that they can pull through and make the playoffs (and I hope they do!). All I am saying, if they don't, it'll actually help us in future years (look at the Pens). Gainey will wait until close to the deadline to make his decision.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:56 PM
RE-HABS

We lack defensive depth in prospects, I would love to see Gainey trade one of or both of these guys for Dmen prospects or Dmen that are young and in the NHL now or 1st round pick(s) to go after more prospects in general.

We can always sign one of them or both in the off season, Gainey can be straight up with them and say look we are wanting this team to be a winning team for years and if your committed to returning you can be a piece of it. Let them know that they are valuable assets and that you are allowing them a chance to play with contenders for the Cup and that with the players in return and cash you are willing to give them next season that they are still in your plans like Recchi, Weight and possibly Forsberg have been used for.

I would do it. I would hate to see us sit there, not make the playoffs and maybe both walk away and we get nothing, that to me would be the ultimate slap in the face. Gainey has to get something, at least for Souray because I see him not returning and Markov could get some sweet offers out there, he and AO are close friends....he could go to Washington a team with $'s.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:33 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Gainey has a policy of not conducting contract negotiations midseason.

02-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
In this cap world that is very stupid... Markov should not go into the offseason unsigned!!!!

Im really startiing to wonder if gainey has a grasp on the reality's of this new CBA?

Teams have startred early to make their big trades. Not waiting for the actual deadline to make their deals.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Namso

Quote:
hmm...i dont understand that. Players might play a little better knowing they wont be traded.

Also on second thought...koivu signed his contract midseason.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Teams have startred early to make their big trades. Not waiting for the actual deadline to make their deals.
If we somehow don't turn things around and don't look like we're gonna make the playoffs, the good thing about this is a lot of teams have their sights on certain players. A lot of them are going early. Once those players go, there will be less to chose from. At the deadline when the pickings are slim, Gainey can take offers for Souray and let them pour in. I can see teams paying big for his shot in the playoffs. The Ducks have a lot of nice prospects, for example.

PS I'm not giving up on the Habbies but if they can't score more then a goal or two a game, they don't have much of a chance.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Not exception-proof, though; see Koivu's last contract extension.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:57 AM
sicilianu

Trade Souray!!!!!!!

Bob Gainey has got to trade Souray. His trade value is very high and were probably going to lose him in the off season anyways. We could get at least a prospect and a 1st rounder.

TRADE HIM B4 FEB 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sicilianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Yup lets trade our best scorer and our best PP guy when were still in a playoff race...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Habs13

n00b

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Subban Fan

Souray and Sammy for Ehrhoff and Bell and 2nd...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Souray and Sammy for Ehrhoff and Bell and 2nd...
Bell would like to play for the Habs, I asked him last summer. Not sure what is going on with his legal issues right now though? Wouldn't mind seeing Matt Carle on the Habs.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Bell would like to play for the Habs, I asked him last summer. Not sure what is going on with his legal issues right now though? Wouldn't mind seeing Matt Carle on the Habs.

I think this trade could make sense...The Habs get a d-man signed for next year...They get rid of Sammy and they get a 2nd pick...I really think Bell could do bettre by playing on top line...He'e the big guy we need up front...The Sharks get the guy they need on their pp and Sammy could regain his form by playing with big Joe...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
LesCanadiens

If there is one guy I'd sell off right now, it's Souray.

This guy is waaaay overrated. Injury prone, and always seems to rise to the occasion on a contract year. Plus he absolutely sucks in our zone, horrible defensively and not nearly phyisical enough for his size.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
MTL-rules

We don't need more young prospects or draft pick, we got one the best and deepest farm in the league and very good young players on this team. We need to start building a contending team and that will start with signing both Souray and Markov...there is not one young prospect who could replace them adequately before 3 or 4 years...do you really want to keep on losing for another 3 or 4 years???

A better coach and a star forward...that's the two things this team needs to be seriously dangerous...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
We don't need more young prospects or draft pick, we got one the best and deepest farm in the league and very good young players on this team. We need to start building a contending team and that will start with signing both Souray and Markov...there is not one young prospect who could replace them adequately before 3 or 4 years...do you really want to keep on losing for another 3 or 4 years???

A better coach and a star forward...that's the two things this team needs to be seriously dangerous...
On offense maybe with Grabovski, Kostystin, etc. But where's our depth on D?

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
If there is one guy I'd sell off right now, it's Souray.

This guy is waaaay overrated. Injury prone, and always seems to rise to the occasion on a contract year. Plus he absolutely sucks in our zone, horrible defensively and not nearly phyisical enough for his size.
Wow, I've never seen more bs in one post ever. Lets see...rises to occasion in contract years, and injury prone.
2005-2006 Canadiens 75 12 27 39 -11 116 7 1 0 0 202 5.9
2003-2004 Canadiens 63 15 20 35 4 104 6 1 3 0 186 8.1
Since the lockout Sheldon has been one of the top scoring defenceman in the league. Has over 100 penalty minutes per year and has an absolute cannon from the point. As far as the defence goes he is adequate, far from horrible. Trade him if that's what Gainey wants but this other bs you mention is garbage.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
On offense maybe with Grabovski, Kostystin, etc. But where's our depth on D?
Fisher, Emelin, Carle, Valentenko, O'Byrne...and we got Souray, Markov and Komisarek...no problem here...

Old
02-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Coco Fever

Souray/Markov might be gone.

Emelin - never saw him play. Heard good comments, but who would he replace? Rivet? Okay.
Fisher - he needs at least 3 years
Carle - can't replace Markov next year...not the year after and not in 5 years...
O'Byrne - ???

Next year;
Streit, Dandeneault, Komisarek, Emelin (if the deal with Russia gets signed...), Côté...
OUCH!

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Two topics started, two ideas that have been rehashed 100 times already. Great way to start your membership on HF!

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Wow, I've never seen more bs in one post ever. Lets see...rises to occasion in contract years, and injury prone.
2005-2006 Canadiens 75 12 27 39 -11 116 7 1 0 0 202 5.9
2003-2004 Canadiens 63 15 20 35 4 104 6 1 3 0 186 8.1
Since the lockout Sheldon has been one of the top scoring defenceman in the league. Has over 100 penalty minutes per year and has an absolute cannon from the point. As far as the defence goes he is adequate, far from horrible. Trade him if that's what Gainey wants but this other bs you mention is garbage.
there is a good chance we lose both , Markov may bolt to Washington ,and Souray
has a sweater waiting for him in LA or San Jose , so we may have to make the best deal for one of them .souray is over rated plus lets get one thing clear , as good as an all star year he is having , WE ARE LOSING , how much better is he going to get
when the big $$ comes in , plus with our weak core , where are we going , so lets be realistic here , there no purpose keeping both at 10-12 million , none. We are not the Preds or the Canes of last year , solid teams down the middle, quality depth and youth , on a roll , etc.. they traded no core players to make a run at the cup, fillers and draft picks .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Emelin - never saw him play. Heard good comments, but who would he replace? Rivet? Okay.
Carle - can't replace Markov next year...not the year after and not in 5 years...
O'Byrne - ???

Next year;
Streit, Dandeneault, Komisarek, Emelin (if the deal with Russia gets signed...), Côté...
OUCH!
Well unless we intend to stay around the salary floor, we'll sign a UFA defenseman of some sort.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:19 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

O'Byrne - ???

Next year;
OUCH!
That's why resigning, not trading, Markov and Souray should be Gainey's no1 priority...anyway, we won't get a top notch ready (aka Johnson) d-man who could replace one of them in a trade involving them...

With Souray and Markov sign the future is just fine.