HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Pirri dealt to Florida for a 3rd (2014) & a 5th (2016)

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2014, 10:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
wait what? Why even bother getting a 3rd and a 5th for him? Doesnt he hold more value as a piece in a bigger trade!?!?!

If they really wanted picks instead they could have waited until the draft to do this deal.

Confused...
You're assuming he holds much weight as part of a package.

And at the draft, Pirri would be an RFA, who would lose his waiver-exempt status the following season.. this way, Florida gets to try him out for the rest of the season and see where he stands heading into next season.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
hockeydoug

It does look like there is something to be said for getting something now instead of sitting on it the based on how so much trade activity seems to have been balled up for the last 14 months.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:24 PM
hisgirlfriday

As I said in the trade forum thread on this, if this is all we're getting then might have wanted to just hang on to him in case flukey injuries happened but whatever...

That this is the same return Frolik brought does put a bit of a different perspective on this.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Sevanston

A fine trade for an AHL All-Star.

Pirri deserved to be traded. It wasn't working out here.

Wish him the beat in Florida.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
As I said in the trade forum thread on this, if this is all we're getting then might have wanted to just hang on to him in case flukey injuries happened but whatever...

That this is the same return Frolik brought does put a bit of a different perspective on this.
If an injury happens Regin , Nordstrom , PMB , etc will be on Q's list well before Pirri come playoff time

Old
03-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Then how is he "pulling magic"?
Although it is still a good deal for Tallon, in my opinion, he have up more than Pirri's value. However, we'll never know why. There was likely another team in on this. Florida was unlikely the only team that talked to Stan. Florida may have had to kick in the extra pick to "out-bid" others.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:08 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Regin - a guy with 10 points in his last 71 NHL games - and PMB - 29 points in his last 71 - were moved for a fourth round pick. Regin was waiver fodder and PMB was a cap dump.

We got a fifth round pick for John Scott. Anybody pretending like they can nail down a guy's exact worth with mid to late picks is full of it.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Cullksinikers

He was worth nothing to the Hawks, which could be deemed unfair to Pirri. They didn't have a use for him. The guy wanted out, struggled in his 35 games, pending RFA status, no waiver protection if he stayed, and was not pleasing Q.

Pirri gets a better opportunity. The Hawks get picks. Florids gets a young center. Everyone wins.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Sure. No umbrage with any of that. It's the wow, I'm surprised he got that much bit that's perplexing. What did you have Pirri's value pegged at exactly?

Old
03-02-2014, 11:18 PM
HeisenBaez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zovirax View Post
I'd rather have Pirri than a 3rd.
And I rather have a player who will actually get to play for Q than Pirri who will never get a legitimate chance with the coach. Rather you think it's right or wrong, Pirri wasn't going to get a fair chance with Q, so it's better to get something while you can. Wish it was a better package, but oh well.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:21 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

It's not just for the Hawks benefit, it's for Pirri's. These are people that will be playing professional hockey on this continent and others. With your picks/potential UFA's. You don't want to get a reputation as an organization that holds people back.

The Ducks let Bryzgalov go on waivers so that he'd get to play. The Flyers let Sharp go because he was buried behind an obscene center depth chart (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) in Philly.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Sure. No umbrage with any of that. It's the wow, I'm surprised he got that much bit that's perplexing. What did you have Pirri's value pegged at exactly?
I thought a 3rd and a conditional pick (7th) if he re-signed with the team who acquired him. I made a few proposals on the main board for a 3rd and a conditional pick. I really thought Carolina would be in on this. Maybe they were, but Florida could have offered more.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:25 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I thought a 3rd and a conditional pick (7th) if he re-signed with the team who acquired him. I made a few proposals on the main board for a 3rd and a conditional pick. I really thought Carolina would be in on this. Maybe they were, but Florida could have offered more.
I promise I'm not trying to pick on you, but why exactly did you land on a seventh instead of a fifth? Is there some formula I'm oblivious too? I mean, trades are all over the place.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
I promise I'm not trying to pick on you, but why exactly did you land on a seventh instead of a fifth? Is there some formula I'm oblivious too? I mean, trades are all over the place.
It isn't a big deal if Pirri stayed on since he wasn't an impact player. I just thought his rights staying in one place was worth a 7th. The conditional 1st in the Miller trade is nuts. St. Louis is hoping they have to give it up. They either go on a deep run and/or keep him.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:40 PM
clydesdale line

Happy for the kid. Had the pleasure of meeting him and Kevin Hayes last year during the Hawks cup finals. Great guy, and hope he succeeds with Florida. Good for him he'll have some familiar faces to play with. (Jayes, Olsen) He'll be severely missed with the Hogs that's for sure. Morin is the last guy standing from the "trench crew" unless he makes it with the Hawks full time with Leddy.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Blackhawks

Why not wait till the *@(#n draft to do this? WHY WHY WHY????? Rockford had a good role and a playoff push would have improved all Hawks prospects.... I am SOOO MADDD!!! At the draft Hawks could have gotten same exact value if not more... I dont get this at all and I am not even complaining about the return here as Florida and Tallon have done their share of good for the Hawks so I dont really care about that. With Bouchard, Connoly on the Hogs this team had something going for the playoffs. Frustrating indeed

Old
03-02-2014, 11:50 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post
Why not wait till the *@(#n draft to do this? WHY WHY WHY????? Rockford had a good role and a playoff push would have improved all Hawks prospects.... I am SOOO MADDD!!! At the draft Hawks could have gotten same exact value if not more... I dont get this at all and I am not even complaining about the return here as Florida and Tallon have done their share of good for the Hawks so I dont really care about that. With Bouchard, Connoly on the Hogs this team had something going for the playoffs. Frustrating indeed
You seem to be under the impression that the Hawks care about Rockford's playoff chances. They don't.

Nor does any other parent club of their farm squad. Any NHL team would gladly trade a Calder Cup for a mid round draft pick without a second's hesitation in the world.

And they wouldn't have gotten the same return at the draft, considering that he'd be an unrestricted free agent a few minutes after he was traded if that were the case.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
03-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
As That this is the same return Frolik brought does put a bit of a different perspective on this.
When I heard this I felt better about the trade.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:56 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Happy for him. He'll hopefully get a much better chance in Florida to let his offensive skills shine. For better or worse, he was never going to get that chance here.

I have a feeling a lot of Hawks fans are going to look back on this trade in a few years and be disappointed with the return. I definitely see Pirri being a solid 2C on a different team. Fact of the matter was he just wasn't a good fit for this team and his return as of right now was pretty acceptable.

Best of luck to the kid

Old
03-03-2014, 12:00 AM
giza

Pirri

I still insist Q didn't like his style of play for whatever reason. I think the kid will be a 2nd line center some day. The Regin acquistion made him expendable this year and TT coming over made him expendable for the future. At some point, NHL teams give somebody a chance with another club. Philly did it with Patrick Sharp. There's a lot of other examples out there. Hope he does well in Florida and shows he belongs!

Old
03-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Cullksinikers

Some guys can only thrive in certain situations. Chicago was an unhealthy situation for Pirri apparently, so much that he asked to be dealt.

But let's not pretend like he had zero opportunity. He didn't get consistent chances to stick always, but he certainly didn't perform as well as he could have in his NHL spurts.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:10 AM
ploppsdman

My issue with this move is that it's bad asset management. Pirri, at a young age, led the AHL in scoring. You have a team that can more than cover for his defensive issues until you teach him that side of the game. I don't understand why he wasn't, at the very least, in a split role with Handzus, the way Roszival is sharing time. That would have given Chicago a better idea of his ability, and at worst, kept Handzus fresh. I suspect this move will look bad in a few years; not Patrick Sharp level bad, but not a smart transaction. I don't like it.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Some guys can only thrive in certain situations. Chicago was an unhealthy situation for Pirri apparently, so much that he asked to be dealt.

But let's not pretend like he had zero opportunity. He didn't get consistent chances to stick always, but he certainly didn't perform as well as he could have in his NHL spurts.
Pretty much my thoughts. Well said.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:27 AM
clydesdale line

Not a fan of the return either, but it isn't nearly as bad as some think. Pirri was picked in the second round with the 59th pick late. Florida, as of right now, are the third worst team in the league, so their 3rd round pick is going to be in the 63-65 pick range. I'm confident in the Hawks scouting department will be fine in that regard.

Who knows, if Tallon picks Tatar instead of Pirri (who went one pick after) we might not be having this conversation.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

but he was a 2nd round pick himself

Closed Thread