HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXVIII: All the #1C's!

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Short stub on Callahan, nothing really new here. Just an FYI.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/ran...espnapi_public

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Will Sunday’s 6-3 loss to the Bruins be remembered as Ryan Callahan's last game as a New York Ranger?

The 28-year-old captain said he didn’t consider that possibility.

“No, I didn’t look at it like that. This is where I want to be. I’m just focused on doing what I can for the team.”

With the Rangers having played their final game before the NHL’s trade deadline on Wednesday at 3 p.m., all Callahan can do now is wait to see how the situation unfolds.

03-02-2014, 11:02 PM
SnowblindNYR

"Keep the fans happy". Casual fans that are fed garden propaganda maybe.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:04 PM
rangers91

dont know how valid the source but here it is anyways..
The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 2h
Am told Rangers have a deal that is 99% done. Few small details to iron out #NHL

refering to st.louis

Old
03-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Blueblood 2

Richards has to be bought out. No question that the recapture rule in the new CBA is too onerous. We will need depth at center. It also makes no sense to pay Cally long term and put a no trade anchor around our necks. $15 million+ for half a dozen years freed up to improve this team! Sather .....do your job!

Old
03-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
When Callahans body starts to break down he will have to change his game. He is no longer a consistent physical presence. What are you left with? He doesn't have high end skill. He won't score a ton of goals or take over games and control the play. At 6 million and with Richards leaving he would be the 2nd highest paid forward on the team. Is he worth that? I don't think so.
And when he plays in a physical way, it is not of the real impact variety. I don't mean in the "get his own team going" kind of way. He can still do that. However, he doesn't have the body type or the mean streak and reckless disregard for other players to be a feared hitter like Dustin Brown or Lucic. Those guys are actually capable of getting opposing players off their game and physically knocking them out of games/series. Cally can't do that.

Then you compare their play-off offense and Sather's $6 mill. a year offer (same cap hit as Lucic and more than Brown) becomes even more irresponsible. Cally's much better defensively than Lucic, but you don't need to overpay for that in this league. At least not as much.

Bottom line is both guys have had way more play-off impact than Cally and he wants close to a million more in cap space. Sather's a fool to even go to 6. You're not winning a 7 game series allocating the same resources to inferior horses from the get go.

He has to trade him by this Wednesday even if the return is "only" futures.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers91 View Post
Am told Rangers have a deal that is 99% done. Few small details to iron out #NHL

refering to st.louis
The team or player?

Old
03-02-2014, 11:32 PM
SnowblindNYR

I'm so depressed right now, that I don't even think MSL matters. The defense and goaltending were lights out for over 20 games and the last 2 games they just fell apart. I can't believe this is the same team that shutdown Chicago, Colorado, and Pittsburgh 5 on 5. If they don't solve their goaltending and D, MSL won't matter. I still want him, but when the rumors started the D and goaltending was airtight. Now I don't know if MSL matters. At the end of the day, I'll believe it when I see it. I see 0 reason for Yzerman to trade him and that source is not well known. Seems like someone is attention-whoring.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Lundsanity30

I think its just too bad games in a row it happens.. I expect the D and Hank to get it back together again..

by the way.. FWIW this ******** is worth.

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2h
Ryan Callahan: "Obviously my heart is still here and I want to be here. We’ll just see what happens."

Old
03-02-2014, 11:39 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

refering to st.louis
"NHL Rumors" seems to be saying the same thing. I don't know how trustworthy THEY are. For all I know it's the same people.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:45 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
The team or player?
the player

Old
03-02-2014, 11:50 PM
SnowblindNYR

Well "NHL Rumors" seems full of it. First they say 50/50 then they say 90% trade. Can't trust these ridiculous unknown sources.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:54 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Well "NHL Rumors" seems full of it. First they say 50/50 then they say 90% trade. Can't trust these ridiculous unknown sources.
kind of like boomer, lol

Old
03-03-2014, 12:00 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
kind of like boomer, lol
No, Boomer has a track record.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:01 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
If the Rangers trade Callahan, they will probably make another deal or two to try to "go for it" these next two years. Richards might not be amnestied then either. But the general concensus is that Cally will resign with NYR at slightly above 6M/6 and possibly only a minor move will be made this season by NYR. Otoh the offseason might be the time when the roster is revamped in a bigger way after being analyzed by AV and management concluding one year of hockey in a new system & due to the much higher cap.
Source is from a player - not management. No news really either. This I heard yesterday. Take it with a grain of salt though, was more the player saying his thoughts and not (to my knowledge) based on factual info.

Pretty disgusting if true though

Old
03-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

The Mayor John Hoven (another guy I never heard, but apparently he's reliable enough to go on Sirius NHL Network): Callahan leaving. Marty St. Louis not coming. #NYRangers

Whatever that means. I don't know if he meant leaving via FA or by trade

Old
03-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Source is from a player - not management. No news really either. This I heard yesterday. Take it with a grain of salt though, was more the player saying his thoughts and not (to my knowledge) based on factual info.

A player? Like a current player or a former player?

Old
03-03-2014, 12:05 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

I really wish I didn't enjoy hockey so much and could just stop following this joke of a franchise if that happens. What a joke. Callahan is a mediocre third liner who isn't even good in front of net anymore, which was really the only thing he was good at offensively. I'll be incensed if he's still a Ranger come next season. I said "come next season" and not "come March 5th" because if there's no market for him I'd be ok not trading him and letting him walk.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:29 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
A player? Like a current player or a former player?
c
Rangers player. Cannot be too specific

Old
03-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

sounds like a free agent shopping spree... that takes creativity..

Old
03-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I really wish I didn't enjoy hockey so much and could just stop following this joke of a franchise if that happens. What a joke. Callahan is a mediocre third liner who isn't even good in front of net anymore, which was really the only thing he was good at offensively. I'll be incensed if he's still a Ranger come next season. I said "come next season" and not "come March 5th" because if there's no market for him I'd be ok not trading him and letting him walk.
I think you're really going overboard here. He's a good 2nd liner/high end 3rd line guy even in a down season like this year. There's also no reason to think he won't be better next year and he has at least another 5 solid years left unless derailed by injuries. That's a risk though with every player.

Problem is even the 2012 Callahan is simply not worth $6 mill. in cap space, much less 7 to this team. Not even with the cap going up. We've seen what Cally is capable of at his peak in the play-offs and there simply isn't enough impact for that price level.

The other contracts on NYR make resigning him even sillier. Hank, Nash, Girardi, Richards or his outside replacement. Soon enough Staal, Stepan, and hopefully Brassard and Zuke. Too many expensive players who will either live up to their contracts or underperform by a few hundred k in a best case scenario. Not enough potential overperformers outside of McD. No impact ELC players on the horizon. They can't pay ~ $6 mill. to a 2nd line RW who doesn't create his own offense or bring size to the play-offs with the other present holes in the roster if they're serious about building a Cup winner in the next 5 years.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
c
Rangers player. Cannot be too specific
I understand, but I'm just curious how he would know what's going on with Sather. I guess Callahan knows something the media doesn't and relayed it to this teammate?

Old
03-03-2014, 01:10 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:

If Callahan signs for that much, he's going to tarnish his legacy here. He's going to be remembered as another overpaid player that looks disinterested because his body broke down.

I can't stomach paying him over 6 million for that term when Zucarello and Nash are above him on the depth chart. Who plays center next season, if you think Richards will be bought out?

Old
03-03-2014, 03:04 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

refering to st.louis
LOL i wish.

Old
03-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
When Callahans body starts to break down he will have to change his game. He is no longer a consistent physical presence. What are you left with? He doesn't have high end skill. He won't score a ton of goals or take over games and control the play. At 6 million and with Richards leaving he would be the 2nd highest paid forward on the team. Is he worth that? I don't think so.
This is exactly how I feel....This guy plays NOTHING like he did his first few years here.

He has gone from noticeable every game to completely invisible, people need to let go of what he liked about him years ago and see the player we have today...He is not worth any thing close to 6 million

Old
03-03-2014, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ryan Callahan is not worth $6M per. I'm in the minority here but I don't believe Girardi is worth $5.5M per either. The Rangers need more offense. Brooks wrote how the Rangers personnel has shifted away from size and strength/straight line players in recent years. They need size and strength but they need more playmakers. Those guys are found in the draft. The size and strength is also found in the draft. Giving Callahan 6 years and close to $42M isn't solving that need. It was the same thing under Torts. The Rangers like the same move. They are afraid to make a bold move. It might drop them a few spots in the standings. They won't win anything.

Closed Thread