HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2014, 09:12 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
so the general idea is lets fire another coach. after everyone was begging for the oilers to stick with someone. wow how the flip flop is swift

how about we finally realize that we have bred a culture of apathy in the oilers room by firing coach after coach. we have told the players that "hey dont like the coach, perform bad and he will get fired" this lets the players completely off the hook. instead how about the team does the hard thing and get rid of its under performing players. let the players know that if they dont want to play their hardest, they wont be playing for this team. edmonton management has to stop being paralyzed that they will give away the best player. cause guess what, its not working with what we have now. if we have lose an eberle or a yak for someone who is a little less skilled but competes like a mother and and brings something different, i say do it.

peter chiarelli has stated multiple times that he looks for character guys above anything else. skaters that will do anything for the team. and that shows in how the bruins play. what do we have in edmonton. we have Nuge and hall getting in scrums, while petry and belov look to the sky and stay away. that is unacceptable.

its has to come to the realization that we need to start moving out player who wont play for the coach instead of trying to continually find the "right" coach for the players

Old
03-02-2014, 09:15 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
You mean that last placed team with an abundance of skilled forwards play good when they found a good coach? You don't say...
But nobody knew what Roy was capable of as an NHL coach. In fact he had even less experience in the NHL than Eakins.

The defining moment that solidifies our "core" as a bunch of losers should come from last year. They finally get into a playoff spot and then... poof. They all vanish. That game against a bunch of Calgary rookies is still fresh in my mind. This team and it's kids has no pride whatsoever. I'm not convinced that Mike Babcock could get these kids going. It's the same **** year after year. And they still don't learn. That's why they'll always be in the bottom of the NHL. Because they refuse to play hard.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:35 PM
hyster110

vCash: 500
ill say it once and say it again

its time to start shipping out players who don't/wont fit

Old
03-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Under Eakins nobody fits. I think that's the biggest point and trouble with your argument.

Theres only one coach in recent memory I wanted gone and that's Pat Quinn. I don't have a propensity to call for coaches heads.

But Eakins is brutal, incompetent, and doesn't have a clue at this level.

Classic case of someone being Peter Principal promoted well beyond their ability level.

He's entirely out of his element here and this was what I predicted from the start.

I'm not for firing Eakins, I can't reconcile him even being hired in the first place.

This club needed an experienced competent NHL coach. Several were available. Even obviously the incumbent.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Shanahanigans

he came in preaching defensive hockey and every single player has gotten worse under him defensively and offensively. I understand the need for continuity in a coach but if a coach is the wrong coach, you have to let him go. Eakins is not a good coach. The only reason he's still here is because he would be the third coach canned in less than 3 years, and this organization wants to save whatever face it has left.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:46 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Quote:

This is the wrong coach to favour over players and start making roster moves to try to fit his coaching style. As soon as MacT starts doing that we will be on our way to having to start another rebuild. If we want to start building a team around a particular coach, we should get a legit NHL-quality coach.

That said, it does look like to a lesser degree MacT is forming his team around Eakins looking at how he's picked up former Marlies. As soon as those kinds of moves start costing us more valuable assets, get ready for more misery.

Old
03-03-2014, 01:13 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Eakins came out of the break trying to coach more systems, but a week full of one simple message - like how to dump a puck - would better serve this fragile group imo. Frustration in that Flames game was very high. Something has to change!

He's over-coaching an already over-coached group. If he'd simply done his homework he'd know the outgoing coach, who had been here awhile, had said it was a problem. How do players even respect the assistants on a professional level, when they are delivering different messages each year? He's arrogant and has made so many mistakes.

Remember how they took all the pictures down so they can build new history? I wonder if now Eakins realizes we suck, if he's been stuck with one lonely picture of Scrivens making a billion saves due to our inability to get the puck lol

Old
03-03-2014, 01:27 AM
Shanahanigans

Also, our PP is horrendous. Eakins said it was nearly impossible to defend against coming out of the Olympic break. We have 3 non shooters (Schultz, RNH, Hemsky) , our only potential scorer is set up below the goal line in Hall, and Smyth is the garbage clean up. So the plan is to pass it into the net?

Old
03-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
I guess the question is: how many seasons does Mact waste, trying to prove he was right in hiring this clown? One more, fosho.

Old
03-03-2014, 01:51 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
he came in preaching defensive hockey and every single player has gotten worse under him defensively and offensively. I understand the need for continuity in a coach but if a coach is the wrong coach, you have to let him go. Eakins is not a good coach. The only reason he's still here is because he would be the third coach canned in less than 3 years, and this organization wants to save whatever face it has left.
The only reason he is still here is because Mactavish signed him to a 4 year contract and to fire him now would make the GM look foolish to his owner.

Old
03-03-2014, 06:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

You mean like Moreau, Staios, Horcoff, Penner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Smid, Dubnyk, Souray, Visnovsky, Stoll, Torres, Pitkanen, Lupul, Smyth, Smith and Greene?

Ya, that might work.

Old
03-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
I guess the question is: how many seasons does Mact waste, trying to prove he was right in hiring this clown? One more, fosho.
I'll bet ~20 games or so into the new season. If there is another poor start, but he has to be replaced with a proven veteran NHL coach. Jacque Martain or Peter Laviolet (sp) someone that has a track record at the NHL level. Look at philly, they hire and fire guys until they get the "right " coach.

Old
03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
I'll bet ~20 games or so into the new season. If there is another poor start, but he has to be replaced with a proven veteran NHL coach. Jacque Martain or Peter Laviolet (sp) someone that has a track record at the NHL level. Look at philly, they hire and fire guys until they get the "right " coach.
the also trade core players when the mix isnt right

Old
03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You mean like Moreau, Staios, Horcoff, Penner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Smid, Dubnyk, Souray, Visnovsky, Stoll, Torres, Pitkanen, Lupul, Smyth, Smith and Greene?

Ya, that might work.
Weird. That looks strangely like a playoff team to me.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Ya, that might work.

Pretty sad isnt it, and we the fans seem to fall for it every time.

Teams not winning, "these players arent trying hard enough/arent good enough, oh well let's trade them for draft picks and prospects or fixing up our 4th line". 3-5 years later those prospects are no longer trying/not developing well so we can trade those ones to.

Welcome to the perpetual rebuild!

Old
03-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Aerchon

fire him now

Old
03-03-2014, 12:47 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
To me giving him twenty games next year is an unnecessary risk to sewering another season. We saw how quickly we were out of it this year. Realistically it was before the 20 game mark. Not even a 30th place finish guarantees us McDavid so that isn't reason enough to keep Eakins for the tank. I wouldn't give Eakins another season period. I think it's a pretty telling indication of his ceiling with this team that after all the time he had during the Olympic break to practice and get the players going that they played their two most lifeless games of the season. He's done here. It's just a matter of when Mactavish finally admits it.

Old
03-03-2014, 06:31 PM
LacrosseOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
To me giving him twenty games next year is an unnecessary risk to sewering another season. We saw how quickly we were out of it this year. Realistically it was before the 20 game mark. Not even a 30th place finish guarantees us McDavid so that isn't reason enough to keep Eakins for the tank. I wouldn't give Eakins another season period. I think it's a pretty telling indication of his ceiling with this team that after all the time he had during the Olympic break to practice and get the players going that they played their two most lifeless games of the season. He's done here. It's just a matter of when Mactavish finally admits it.
Fire him now!

Old
03-03-2014, 06:40 PM
LacrosseOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
fire him now
Dallas should gotten the Bep Guidolin mid season promotion.

Old
03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Soundwave

Promote Eakins to President of Oilers Dance Team Operations. Hire a real coach.

Old
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i just hope whoever is the next head coach refuses to hire buchbooger, and owngoal smith and chabot. send those bums packing the charity to their buds is done

Old
03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Also, our PP is horrendous. Eakins said it was nearly impossible to defend against coming out of the Olympic break.
What he means is that our pp makes it impossible for the Sabres to hold onto their lead. The man is brilyunt.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:27 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
......then watch the octane girls **** the bed.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Quote:
A junior coach for a junior dance team.

Old
03-03-2014, 09:06 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Ugly cheerleaders for a garbage coach. Seems fair.

Closed Thread