HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This current team

Old
02-15-2007, 11:19 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
This current team

This current team IMO is better then the one from last season. I'm talking about the current one after the last two trades. Not only do we have a much more balanced line-up but we also attack and pressure the puck in all zones on a CONSISTENT basis. We've been seeing 60 minutes of hockey. I like this current line-up/ team better then of what we saw most of last season. Is it too late? Can we be this seasons edmonton? These are questions that only and ONLY these players can answer. Edmonton made a couple of trades ala samsonov and spacek..one big one landing pronger, this season we added shanahan and have also landed avery and dupuis. I like where this is heading and folks this NEW Hossa we're seeing is no false alarm. What's better is that Jagr really loves playing with this kid. He will groom this kid, in fact they both have the size and strength. Jagr is taking Hossa under his arms as we see it. Shanahan should and probably is doing the same with Avery. Man, who would of ever imagine the day of renney being able to roll 4 lines? That day is here.

Other noticables: Malik of last season is BACK. The no panic in the own zone mode is switched to "ON" . The short outlet passes leading our offensive attack. Bottom line, things have changed.

Interesting stat: Michal Rozsival WILL break 30 points, making it his 2nd season as a Ranger getting 30 points or more. I would definitley look to extend his contract.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:24 PM
filthy#20

how pumped is this bloke!

filthy#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:26 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
This current team IMO is better then the one from last season. I'm talking about the current one after the last two trades. Not only do we have a much more balanced line-up but we also attack and pressure the puck in all zones on a CONSISTENT basis. We've been seeing 60 minutes of hockey. I like this current line-up/ team better then of what we saw most of last season. Is it too late? Can we be this seasons edmonton? These are questions that only and ONLY these players can answer. Edmonton made a couple of trades ala samsonov and spacek..one big one landing pronger, this season we added shanahan and have also landed avery and dupuis. I like where this is heading and folks this NEW Hossa we're seeing is no false alarm. What's better is that Jagr really loves playing with this kid. He will groom this kid, in fact they both have the size and strength. Jagr is taking Hossa under his arms as we see it. Shanahan should and probably is doing the same with Avery. Man, who would of ever imagine the day of renney being able to roll 4 lines? That day is here.

Other noticables: Malik of last season is BACK. The no panic in the own zone mode is switched to "ON" . The short outlet passes leading our offensive attack. Bottom line, things have changed.

Interesting stat: Michal Rozsival WILL break 30 points, making it his 2nd season as a Ranger getting 30 points or more. I would definitley look to extend his contract.

i kind of agree... but i still would like to have an upgrade to our defense (may it be from within by a call up or by trade)

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
i kind of agree... but i still would like to have an upgrade to our defense (may it be from within by a call up or by trade)
So do I..What this team was missing was chemistry, balance, and a coach with his head out of his ass...We have finally seen that for about 4 games in a row and I truly think it is a portent of things to come...Is this team a juggernaut? No way, but it is a PO team......To be more then that, it needs an upgrade on D (which I think we will do via trade) and maybe another forward or upgrade at forward

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of zil

Quote:
Not only do we have a much more balanced line-up but we also attack and pressure the puck in all zones on a CONSISTENT basis. We've been seeing 60 minutes of hockey. I like this current line-up/ team better then of what we saw most of last season.
lol, I love this board.

We lose and we see nothing but negative posts about how the seasons over. Now we are winning, and this team is awesome?

How can you say we're playing consistent when we've had what, four good games in a row? I remember a 5 game winning streak this season, followed by a 7 game losing streak.

A bit too early to call the team consistent, don't you think?

And how can you say this current team, in a 4 game sample, is better than last year's team that made the playoffs and put up over 100 pts?

Jumping the gun a bit too quick, IMO. Let's give it 10 more games.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:56 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
lol, I love this board.

We lose and we see nothing but negative posts about how the seasons over. Now we are winning, and this team is awesome?

How can you say we're playing consistent when we've had what, four good games in a row? I remember a 5 game winning streak this season, followed by a 7 game losing streak.

And how can you say this current team, in a 4 game sample, is better than last year's team that made the playoffs and put up over 100 pts?

The 7 game winning streak we did have was STILL NOT 60 minutes of solid hockey. You know it and I know it the effort is much better, the level of play from most teams is higher so its like comparing apples and oranges. The 7 game winning streak didnt have as much on the line as the games being played now. Top heavy has taken a 360 spin on this team.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Balej20*

I agree this team is better than last years at the same points in the season.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:12 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
I wish there was a way to play Pock. I wonder what can he with prucha if dealt can fetch in a trade.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
lol, I love this board.

Not everybody is that reactionary...There are quite a few that stick to their guns, in both directions....

NAd yes, the team is far from consistent...

And although Last years team did core 100 points, I like the composition and parts of this team much better...But it all comes down to chemistry and playing as a team...We have only seen that for 4 game..I think we will see much more but...we'll see..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
I wish there was a way to play Pock. I wonder what can he with prucha if dealt can fetch in a trade.
I think Pck would fetch about a 5th maybe.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Pizza

Quote:
The 7 game winning streak we did have was STILL NOT 60 minutes of solid hockey. You know it and I know it the effort is much better, the level of play from most teams is higher so its like comparing apples and oranges. The 7 game winning streak didnt have as much on the line as the games being played now. Top heavy has taken a 360 spin on this team.
Jagr made mention of how during Ranger winning streaks this year they were not playing well at all.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Pock should fetch more than a 5th, hes young, and hes a good player, AND this is a sellers market. I think we might be able to get a 3rd rounder for him, but i expect him to be part of a bigger trade.

RE reactionary comments: Ive been down on this team all year for their lack of smarts, and their lack of forwards helping out, and a lack of 60 minute hockey. but theyve played hard, smart, under control hockey for 720 straight minutes. so yeah, im actually impressed, particularly when ive been the one shouting how the season is over, the season is over, run for cover.
It all comes down to 60 minute efforts. I think this team has the talent to play with ANYONE in this league, they just havent been able to pull it all together. Avery is really what you have to point at though. hes brough agression, heart, effort, and, go figure, he parks his keister in front of the net, and gets goals/helps get goals like that.

its an aspect this team simply hasnt had.

we dont get 2 of the goals tonight if not for Avery.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Pizza

The only thing I know is that the Rangers are playing Motivated hockey right now. That to me is the biggest difference. The balance, chemistry, and grit are there at high levels but the hustle and the determination are what I'm really noticing. The Rangers seem to know they have the assets to beat anybody and they are determined to play hard.

Watching the replay I can't remember when I've seen Jagr skate as well as he did tonight. He really did look like the Jagr of days gone by. Dominating. I'm glad they fixed his skates or whatever. That first goal was special. If Jagr can keep doing that, watch out!

Old
02-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Pock should fetch more than a 5th, hes young, and hes a good player, AND this is a sellers market. I think we might be able to get a 3rd rounder for him, but i expect him to be part of a bigger trade.

RE reactionary comments: Ive been down on this team all year for their lack of smarts, and their lack of forwards helping out, and a lack of 60 minute hockey. but theyve played hard, smart, under control hockey for 720 straight minutes. so yeah, im actually impressed, particularly when ive been the one shouting how the season is over, the season is over, run for cover.
It all comes down to 60 minute efforts. I think this team has the talent to play with ANYONE in this league, they just havent been able to pull it all together. Avery is really what you have to point at though. hes brough agression, heart, effort, and, go figure, he parks his keister in front of the net, and gets goals/helps get goals like that.

its an aspect this team simply hasnt had.

we dont get 2 of the goals tonight if not for Avery.

Absolutely, totally agree. I was down on us getting rid of Cliche, but Avery is making a believer out of me. The guy is playing awesome hockey. He's been a difference maker, the team can see it, and they are all making the effort and feeding off each others energy. Very good to see.

Old
02-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Chicago Blueshirts

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Blueshirts
I was a bit skeptical of the Avery deal, mainly because on a team whose problem has been stupid mistakes, we were bringing in the guy with the most PIM over the last two years. I did not anticipate how he would energize and motivate this team. He's been a spark plug like Prucha was last year, and the Rangers are looking more commanding right now than they have all year. Hopefully with weak opponents this weekend, they can make it 5 straight.

Chicago Blueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:17 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Well its only been 3 games so lets not get too excited. (I'd be lying if i said i wasn't)

I agree they are a better team than last year now with the flexibility of players and a few who have stepped up, Hossa being the biggest IMO.

But even the team before the trades was OK and just as good as last year, if not better. The problem is home ice. You look at some of the games the rangers ("new and old") have played on the road this season and you wonder why they dont have a better record. 17-12-2 on the road is pretty damn good for a team in 4th place. In fact the Rangers have the most wins and the best road record in the division and the second most wins on the road in the conference!

If they had any kind of success at home they would easily be in a playoff spot or even contending with the Devils again for first.

IF they can get that home play they got last year, things can turn around in a hurry with something like 15 home games the rest of the way, that will be the difference maker. The good thing is they start off with philly and chicago this weekend and maybe they can get the ball rolling... Its right there for them, they just have to take it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Fletch

I think one of the big differences...

between this team and even the team of a few weeks is Renney finally moved Cullen to the third line center position and Betts to the fourth line and Cullen to the point. Having Nylander as as second line center does wonders. I still believe that had Renney done this a month or so ago, this team would likely be thicker in the playoff race and on the inside with others looking in. Hopefully they can keep up the inspired play on the last three games, with two, what-should-be-easy, games coming up this weekend at home prior to facing the Devils...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
between this team and even the team of a few weeks is Renney finally moved Cullen to the third line center position and Betts to the fourth line and Cullen to the point. Having Nylander as as second line center does wonders. I still believe that had Renney done this a month or so ago, this team would likely be thicker in the playoff race and on the inside with others looking in. Hopefully they can keep up the inspired play on the last three games, with two, what-should-be-easy, games coming up this weekend at home prior to facing the Devils...
But, part of the equation is getting Avery, which has had a profound effect. Plus, I'm not Hossa was ready to assume the role of 1st line LW as he has right now. If Renney tried this a month ago, and things didn't work out the way the have so far, people would still be screaming to get a 2nd line center. Sometimes, things just fall into place at particular times.

Besides, there still plenty of hockey left, and the Rangers are just starting to play some of their best hockey. Montreal, Atlanta and (to a lesser extent) Carolina are having troubles. Who knows what'll happen a week from now. Injuries will play a big part. Heck, suddenly Jersey is facing some question marks with injuries.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:51 AM
dave4

Well I've been one of the more vocal critics of certain people on the team and in management, but I don't think it's accurate to dismiss this winning streak because they already had a five game winning streak.

That winning streak completely different, and capped off by one of the worst games they played this year, the 5-2 victory in Dallas where Lundqvist was ridiculously good in goal and the Stars' goalie was ridiculously bad. I think there were also less than inspriring wins in that streak against Florida and a Forsberg-less Flyers team that made everyone wonder if the steak was legit. As we found out in Toronto that Saturday night, and in the six games after that, it wasn't.

But this streak, whether it lasts or not, is different. They're beating teams they're playing in the standings, and beating them decisively. Last night they were unlucky it was only 4-1, and they were two Geico assists away from two 5-0 victories before that. They also outplayed the Devils.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:18 AM
94now

The tomorrow game will show if Rangers can be comfortable at home. We have 8 games at MSG coming. It is important to get in the groove at home. Phily is a weak team, but with distractive NYR fans concerned with lack of respect from the players anything is possible.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hey, how far detached does Kasparaitus seem from the team now. I almost totally forgot he was on the Rangers this year now with this "new team"

With that said, Girardi is playing excellent. His positioning and stick work is fantastic. When you dont notice a stay at home defensman at all during a game thats a good thing IMO. He just simply gets the job done, and his passes are very good also. Boy does he keep it simple

Tyutin (who had a quiet, awesome game last night) and Girardi have been really good.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Fletch

jas...

my point is there was a logical solution within the Rangers roster two+ months ago that could've been tried for a few games. Avery may be a catalyst, but who's to say if you put Prucha with Jagr and Straka that he would've have gotten a resurgence; and Hossa, or even Dawes, with Nylander and Shanahan, and down the line. It just looked better than Betts in the middle, or watching Cullen struggle. There were other options that made more sense that what Renney had whooped up. My point in most of these threads is that I'd like to see things that made sense. Now they're starting to make more sense.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
my point is there was a logical solution within the Rangers roster two+ months ago that could've been tried for a few games. Avery may be a catalyst, but who's to say if you put Prucha with Jagr and Straka that he would've have gotten a resurgence; and Hossa, or even Dawes, with Nylander and Shanahan, and down the line. It just looked better than Betts in the middle, or watching Cullen struggle. There were other options that made more sense that what Renney had whooped up. My point in most of these threads is that I'd like to see things that made sense. Now they're starting to make more sense.
I won't disagree that there are moves Renney could have made. But, it's easy to say that, just because things are working now, they would have worked a month ago. And, in my mind, that's 20/20 hindsight

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Nich

i am pumped too!! but maybe that's because i am in Vegas and on the list for the playboy club

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:25 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
lol, I love this board.

Exactly, let's see what happens when we lose one of these next games (maybe against Jersey next week). It'll be interesting to see, if the team will bounce back. We could easily go back the other way again. Let's see if they can manage to win both of these next two games at home, which should be theirs for the taking.

I wonder if they're going to go back to the over passing type of showy hockey they sometimes play,(especially at home) instead of the crash the net style, which seems to have been working as of late.

As for this team compared to last years, right now it seems the biggest change has been Avery's arrival. I don't know if players are scared they might get traded, or if him coming here provided energy and the missing grit the team really needed. Moving the lines around has also helped. I just wonder if it'll last. Whatever it is, the team does seem more balanced now. Better than last years it's hard to say, but I think so. I'll site Shanahan and Avery as the two reasons why. Dupuis certainly seems to be an upgrade over Hall, but time will tell.

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 02-16-2007 at 11:33 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote