HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Old
02-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
The giveaways are Oilers early season bad. Right into the middle of the ice, right into the slot on attacker's sticks.
Klefbom had a brutal one early, he looked confident out there and his skating looks good but he seemed to be forcing plays out there. Hopefully he can bounce back in the second.

Only D-man with a good first was Gernat, he looked poised.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

Lander!!!

Old
02-23-2014, 05:45 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
What buzz kill after watching the Olympic final..

back to reality of being a fan of sucky organization.

Hopefully it was just fatigue because our D minus Gernat looked terrible with Klefa being the worst.

Pitlick invisible, Horak had a couple good chances but was meh rest of the game.. Offensively Lander and Hunt were the only 2 consistent scoring threats.
Gernat had a good game. Bachman was solid for the most part.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
That was their third game in 3 nights and all were on the road.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
What buzz kill after watching the Olympic final..

back to reality of being a fan of sucky organization.

Hopefully it was just fatigue because our D minus Gernat looked terrible with Klefa being the worst.

Pitlick invisible, Horak had a couple good chances but was meh rest of the game.. Offensively Lander and Hunt were the only 2 consistent scoring threats.
Gernat had a good game. Bachman was solid for the most part.
Yup that game was less than stellar.

I disagree with you about Pitlick though I thought his forcheck and energy were good he threw his weight around and was a menace down low.

The positives for me were Ewanyk, Gernat, Lander, and Pitlick

Old
02-24-2014, 02:19 AM
Burnt Biscuits

None of the D impressed me in that game, each made some good plays, but pretty much all of them had some poor read or horrible turnover that offset whatever good they did. The player that most impressed me was Lander, his ability to maintain puck possession and win battles in tight is substantially better than it has been in the past. He also showed a lot more offensive ability then I have seen from him since his days playing in the WJC's.

I get the feeling the organization has soured on Lander and if that's the case it is really a shame, I'm guessing we are going to trade his rights and get someone with rocks for brains who plays a "heavy game" to center our 4th line next year. Lander is an intelligent player who I'm thinking could make a positive impact on our possession numbers and do some solid work on the PK, if you look at a some of the best two way centers with minimal offense, a lot of them didn't hold down a regular NHL job till they were 22-24, Pahlsson and Madden both broke into the league pretty late. It's probably wishful thinking but if he could follow a similar career path to either of them that would be great for us.

Also have to say Pinnizzoto is more skilled than I thought, don't want him getting NHL time, but he's a nice addition to the farm team.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I get the feeling the organization has soured on Lander and if that's the case it is really a shame, I'm guessing we are going to trade his rights and get someone with rocks for brains who plays a "heavy game" to center our 4th line next year.
Where on earth do you pull this from??

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:19 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
Where on earth do you pull this from??
Pure conjecture and speculation on my part. Just reading inbetween the lines primarily based on Eakins outspoken comments about what he wants our 4th line to be, and the sheer fact that we had Will Acton play 23 games on our NHL roster this season namely because he brings size and a look that Eakins wants. I believe I read on Lowetides website about how other scouts were laughing at us for playing a AHL scrub like Acton on the big club. Then the organization is fairly transparent on the prospects they think highly of and those they don't just by the comments they make, Lander hasn't gotten much tire pumping like I'd say he deserves at this point.

I do think Lander will play the remainder of the season on the NHL team post trade deadline and based on that will probably determine his future with us. Lander seems to be a real good soldier and he might tough it out in the AHL a bit longer, but I can't see him taking more than one more two way contracts before he heads back to Europe, he's good enough to play there and make quite a bit more money. Not much sense staying if it doesn't look like a permanent job in the NHL is in his future.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:56 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Pure conjecture and speculation on my part. Just reading inbetween the lines primarily based on Eakins outspoken comments about what he wants our 4th line to be, and the sheer fact that we had Will Acton play 23 games on our NHL roster this season namely because he brings size and a look that Eakins wants. I believe I read on Lowetides website about how other scouts were laughing at us for playing a AHL scrub like Acton on the big club. Then the organization is fairly transparent on the prospects they think highly of and those they don't just by the comments they make, Lander hasn't gotten much tire pumping like I'd say he deserves at this point.

I do think Lander will play the remainder of the season on the NHL team post trade deadline and based on that will probably determine his future with us. Lander seems to be a real good soldier and he might tough it out in the AHL a bit longer, but I can't see him taking more than one more two way contracts before he heads back to Europe, he's good enough to play there and make quite a bit more money. Not much sense staying if it doesn't look like a permanent job in the NHL is in his future.
I wouldn't read too much into Acton getting time here. It was a move that the GM allowed to happen because the coach really liked the player in a small role.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Tw0Shoes

I actually really like that they started Acton in the nhl considering what they had because it allowed Lander to start in the AHL. If they'd be able to sign Hendricks in the off season I think it would have been a different story and Acton wouldn't have played a game. This off season should be a bit easier with less holes to fill up front with both Hendricks and Gordon already here. Ideally Hendricks is 4th line center and playing 10-11 minutes a night.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
I actually really like that they started Acton in the nhl considering what they had because it allowed Lander to start in the AHL. If they'd be able to sign Hendricks in the off season I think it would have been a different story and Acton wouldn't have played a game. This off season should be a bit easier with less holes to fill up front with both Hendricks and Gordon already here. Ideally Hendricks is 4th line center and playing 10-11 minutes a night.
Lander didn't have a good camp either and pretty much lost an NHL spot all by himself. Not a bad thing for younger guys to see that you aren't guaranteed jobs because of your draft pedigree.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

Todd Nelson was on Oilers now with Bob Stauffer today and he was saying that Klefbom had his worst game in a while in Sunday vs Toronto, Nelson said Klefbom was great against Grand Rapids in the two games earlier in the weekend.

It sucks that the national televised game was the one he sucked in but from all reports he has been lights out lately.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Todd Nelson was on Oilers now with Bob Stauffer today and he was saying that Klefbom had his worst game in a while in Sunday vs Toronto, Nelson said Klefbom was great against Grand Rapids in the two games earlier in the weekend.

It sucks that the national televised game was the one he sucked in but from all reports he has been lights out lately.
This isn't surprising. In the second game against Grand Rapids OKC spent literally half the game in the penalty box with a few stretches of playing 3v5.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:37 PM
40oz

Like the special thirds they're wearing tonight

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:54 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Like the special thirds they're wearing tonight

They do look very nice. This design is exactly the same as the 1972 Alberta Oilers. Only difference is the numbers not being on the shoulder.

CurrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Looks like a trial run for the new throwback thirds.
The old white lettering would look better as well.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Excellent end to the game.

Rockford takes the lead after a terrible Eager penalty.
Eager scores to tie it up minutes later.
Pitlick scores the winner on a sublime individual effort off a face off in overtime.
And those jerseys are sweet.

Arcobello looked fantastic. Too good for the AHL.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

vCash: 50
Oklahoma beated San Antonio 5-6. Brandon Davidson with the tying goal in the third period and game winner in the overtime. Mark Arcobello finished with 1+1, now he has 19 points in 9 AHL games.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He scored before overtime I believe. 3 points clear of 10th and 1 point back of 8th now.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Oklahoma beated San Antonio 5-6. Brandon Davidson with the tying goal in the third period and game winner in the overtime. Mark Arcobello finished with 1+1, now he has 19 points in 9 AHL games.
Lander rested?

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 04:52 AM
LaGu

I didn't see the game but looking at the stats sheet it looks like he played.

Since I have no chance to see the OKC games anymore I have been keeping track of the stats from the games played in 2014. Nothing special and I have just looked it over for a few players but I will post it anyway for anyone who might be interested.

January (11 GP: 6 W, 5 L)
Lander 10 GP, 3 G, 10 A, 13 P, +6
Horak 11 GP, 3 G, 3 A, 6 P, +5
Pitlick 11 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 9 P, +5
Klefbom 6 GP, 0 G, 3 A, 3 P, -1

February (10 GP: 7 W, 2 L, 1 OT)
Lander 10 GP, 5 G, 9 A, 14 P, -2
Horak 10 GP, 6 G, 6 A, 12 P, +2
Arcobello 7 GP, 5 G, 9 A, 14 P, +3
Pitlick 4 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 P, +2
Klefbom 10 GP, 1 G, 0 A, +1

March (2 GP: 2 W)
Lander 2 GP, 0 G, 2 A, 2 P, +2
Horak 2 GP, 1 G, 0 A, 1 P, +2
Arcobello 2 GP, 2 G, 3 A, 5 P, +2
Pitlick 2 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 P, +1
Klefbom 2 GP, 0 G, 1 A, +-0

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
dnicks17

As I watch the Barons more, I'm becoming more and more sure that Musil will be a solid NHLer. Any concern over his skating(which really isn't bad) is completely erased by his incredible anticipation and positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Lander rested?
Lander played. He was with Austin Fyten and Pitlick. Fyten was the most noticeable on that line actually. Really good motor and boardwork from him.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Musil and Klefbom seem to be the go to shutdown pairing.

Lander is NHL ready.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:20 AM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Musil and Klefbom seem to be the go to shutdown pairing.
No. They're clearly the 3rd pairing and they're a big liability when they are out there. Klefbom's positioning/decision making is pretty bad and Musil has a tough time with the speed of the game at this level. Usual pairings are Hunt/Davidson, Fedun/Gernat, and Musil/Klefbom. When there's a key defensive moment Hunt/Fedun get paired up.

Also the 3 games this weekend were ridiculously entertaining. 16-13 total score, all 3 wins, 3 one-goal games (obviously). I went on Friday and Sunday, yesterday's game was just ridiculous. Barons score 3 early, then give up 5 unanswered (and were badly outplayed, were obviously totally out of gas after playing 3 in 3, playing a fresh team). Then Davidson scores 2 late, puts them up 1 with 35 seconds left. It was both horrifying and amazing. And unlikely.

Davidson's really stepped up lately; he looks bigger, he's hitting more and he's finally shooting more regularly. Bunz's line didn't look great yesterday but he was pretty awesome. Lander/Ford/Horak are playing extremely well together.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Huh, no kidding? Corey Pronman was praising Klefbom big time last week, he did a LOT of penalty killing in that **** show game against the GR Griffins.