HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you guys think Souray is worth as a UFA?

Old
02-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Evil Ted

vCash: 500
Someone is going to pay Sheldon more then hes worth, its going to be a bidding war hes the biggest UFA defenceman this year.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:25 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Which is why, if we want to keep Souray. We should negotiate now, or trade him for a good defensive prospect a la Fransen, Letang or Russell.

Personally, I was very impressed by Russell in the WJC's.. I wonder what it would cost to get our hands on him.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:36 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
"anyways to make a long story short, he pretty much told my buddy that Souray is leaving after this season. Souray confirmed that he wants to be closer to his daughter. Take it for what it's worth"

All due respect to you, but we've all heard the friend-of-a-friend-of-the-Habs-jock-cleaner story before. Souray was on Off the Record last week saying there's no reason why he wouldn't re-sign with the Canadiens if the offer was right, and that people acting like there was jersey in the West with his name already on it are wrong. Of course he wouldn't say "Yeah I'm out after this season, F Montreal" but I don't think it's a cut and dry as you're saying. Call me disillusioned.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'd say Souray is WORTH around $5M. But then, hardly anybody on the big name UFA market gets only what they're worth. I'd be satisfied if the Habs re-signed him for $6M. More than that, and well, it's just getting too rich for our blood... but I don't think that more is necessarily that much of a stretch. The McCabe and Jovanovski contracts are very fair comparables, IMO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
moshedw

Id say souray is worth at least a first round pick for the habs in the next 2 weeks.

moshedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic View Post
I started a thread on the B's board stating hed be a nice pickup for 4yrs 5-5.5$ per(to take the best Dmen off divisional rivals 2yrs in a row would be smart) but most responses say hes not worth that kind of money, so who better to ask then the people that are most familiar w/ SS.

Part of my factoring into his dollar value is the cap going up from 44$-50$

Thoughts?
The Bruins won't make the playoffs even after adding Chara and Savard and paying big bucks to Bergeron. Adding Souray would improve them, but not to the point of being able to challenge for the division lead. Besides, they'd have to squeeze 19 players into about a $22M corset. I don't think they'd have much of a supporting cast for their four highest paid players. How would they be able to afford an elite goaltender, for example?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I started a thread on the B's board stating hed be a nice pickup for 4yrs 5-5.5$ per(to take the best Dmen off divisional rivals 2yrs in a row would be smart) but most responses say hes not worth that kind of money, so who better to ask then the people that are most familiar w/ SS.

Thoughts?
The Bruins won't make the playoffs even after adding Chara and Savard and paying big bucks to Bergeron. Adding Souray would improve them, but not to the point of being able to challenge for the division lead. Besides, they'd have to squeeze 19 players into about a $22-24M corset. I don't think they'd have much of a supporting cast for their four highest paid players. How would they be able to afford an elite goaltender, for example?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 10:55 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshedw View Post
Id say souray is worth at least a first round pick for the habs in the next 2 weeks.
Id say a first and a good prospect.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:02 AM
brownman*

It would be impossible to land him for anything less than McCabe's salary which is a shame considering neither player can actually play defense let alone score EVERY year.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Calamari

if he stays around 4.5 i am sure we will resign him but i have the impression he will be offered a lot more and take it.. Around league he could be looking at 5.5+

Calamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Thoughts?
Chara and Souray played together during the lockout to form one of the most initmidating defensive pairings in the swedish elite league.

It opens up alot of options... imagine a PP where you have savard on the half boards, chara infront of the net and souray releasing bombs from the point.

With the right pairing, his defensive liabilities wont be very noticeable... his liabilities are a bit overblown to start with... He'll get McCabe money for sure so you are in the right ballpark.

I think he would be a valuable addition.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote