HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Arena Thread

Old
03-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I saw on the Business of Hockey board that Kevin Lowe was getting specifics on the roof scoreboard at Sochi. Any chance we get one of those?
What would be the point of it really? The Sochi arena sits in a lower elevation area making the roof visible from surrounding area.

Edmontons build is not going to be sitting in a depression its at ground level and with the roof towering close to 100 ft over bystanders who wouldn't see anything of the roof. This also in a city that doesn't have one, not one, public high rise paddock viewing area.

I guess it would be nice if you're one of the city employees located in the new Katz tower. But other than that I dunno.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 01:23 PM
millpoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
What would be the point of it really? The Sochi arena sits in a lower elevation area making the roof visible from surrounding area.

Edmontons build is not going to be sitting in a depression its at ground level and with the roof towering close to 100 ft over bystanders who wouldn't see anything of the roof. This also in a city that doesn't have one, not one, public high rise paddock viewing area.

I guess it would be nice if you're one of the city employees located in the new Katz tower. But other than that I dunno.
Good point. A lit up roof will be mostly ineffectual for city bystanders. It would look cool on TV though.

Obviously, whatever it costs will have to fit into the budget, too.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 01:25 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
Good point. A lit up roof will be mostly ineffectual for city bystanders. It would look cool on TV though.

Maybe they put it on the front side of the building so you can see the scores from 104 ave.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post

Not if a bunch of skyscrapers are built around the arena.

We know a few are proposed, a few in development, and there is also the major hotel they were planning to build next to it.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Not if a bunch of skyscrapers are built around the arena.

We know a few are proposed, a few in development, and there is also the major hotel they were planning to build next to it.
Obviously the scoreboard on the roof hasn't been thought out any more than the building of the hockey team.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Obviously the scoreboard on the roof hasn't been thought out any more than the building of the hockey team.
lol

but with Klowe being involved in both this being a telling comment.

Old
03-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Mr V

Katz should not be allowed to have the keys to the new arena until the Oilers make the playoffs.

Then we'll see how long it takes for the Ringmaster of this 6 ring circus, and all the ****ing clowns beneath him to get fired. My guess is that they would be fired so fast, you would need a stop watch to time it.

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 02:53 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Katz should not be allowed to have the keys to the new arena until the Oilers make the playoffs.

Then we'll see how long it takes for the Ringmaster of this 6 ring circus, and all the ****ing clowns beneath him to get fired. My guess is that they would be fired so fast, you would need a stop watch to time it.
The City of Edmonton holding the team accountable, I like it.

Old
03-02-2014, 03:24 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The City of Edmonton holding the team accountable, I like it.
I got roasted for having this attitude during the arena negotiations.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 04:46 PM
aqib

Quote:

I'm not endorsing the idea. I just read it and was curious.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
aqib

I stumbled over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_wn9J_7rQ

Old
03-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Considering the city has some of the most awful road organization in Canada, I find it hard to really agree.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:18 PM
aqib

Despite being an Oilers fan, I've never actually been to Edmonton. I moved to the States when I was a kid but the past few years I have been thinking about moving back to Canada. Especially since I got married I think it would be better to raise kids there. Edmonton is on my list primarily because of the job growth and the things I have read about it. So is the video misleading?

Old
03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

It's not a bad city by any means. No city is perfect, we (myself included) just like to piss and moan about the things we see everyday here.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Considering the city has some of the most awful road organization in Canada, I find it hard to really agree.
Its ironic the video starts off showcasing the stupidest LRT build found almost anywhere.

That went out to Clareview, the silliest quadrant to put the LRT in first, and spent decades getting anywhere else due to no revenue generated from what was the worst possible terminus selection. ANY other quadrant would have worked better.

Old
03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 424
Quote:
There will be more, the main thing restricting the height of the buildings downtown was the City Center Airport, thats gone so expect a lot of development over the next few years.
I agree, it just looks odd right now.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Its ironic the video starts off showcasing the stupidest LRT build found almost anywhere.

That went out to Clareview, the silliest quadrant to put the LRT in first, and spent decades getting anywhere else due to no revenue generated from what was the worst possible terminus selection. ANY other quadrant would have worked better.
very true...although didn't they put the LRT in order to accommodate the building of the Coliseum and Commonwealth?

either way, I never took the LRT until I was a teenager cause I grew up in St. Albert...so why would I drive to the East end to take a train that only goes as far as the University?

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
fysloc

All of Edmonton's problems comes down to population density and lack of funding.

Edmonton is massive in terms of area, but the population is very small for that area. It costs insane amounts to get a public transit system to cover such a large area without much tax revenue like other cities.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
All of Edmonton's problems comes down to population density and lack of funding.

Edmonton is massive in terms of area, but the population is very small for that area. It costs insane amounts to get a public transit system to cover such a large area without much tax revenue like other cities.
What's worse is we've known this for years and years now, yet we continue to push the borders and try annex more land.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's worse is we've known this for years and years now, yet we continue to push the borders and try annex more land.
Calgary is pretty big and they don't seem to have any problems. Should have just built the LRT totally above ground. The thing would have been done by now. Edmonton wanted to go under and it cost them big time.

Old
03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Calgary is pretty big and they don't seem to have any problems. Should have just built the LRT totally above ground. The thing would have been done by now. Edmonton wanted to go under and it cost them big time.
They have the same problems we do, we just don't see them complain about it as much. Putting the C-train above ground allowed the transit to expand much more rapidly than Edmonton's, but it still sucks for the size of the city.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:35 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
They have the same problems we do, we just don't see them complain about it as much. Putting the C-train above ground allowed the transit to expand much more rapidly than Edmonton's, but it still sucks for the size of the city.
I won't disagree as I think public transit in both Edmonton and Calgary suck. Go to New York and you see how a public transit system should be run.

Old
03-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
very true...although didn't they put the LRT in order to accommodate the building of the Coliseum and Commonwealth?

either way, I never took the LRT until I was a teenager cause I grew up in St. Albert...so why would I drive to the East end to take a train that only goes as far as the University?
Start by being informed. It has been going further south for awhile now.

Tedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Tedi

Quote:
I won't disagree as I think public transit in both Edmonton and Calgary suck. Go to New York and you see how a public transit system should be run.
Nice comparison, it may have taken them a few years to get there.

Old
03-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Tedi

Quote:
The C train was designed better and goes to the four quadrants of Calgary. Although as they build further out they are facing the same issues as Edmonton.