HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Considering the Forsberg deal...

Old
02-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Minos

vCash: 500
Considering the Forsberg deal...

...can we afford to not move Souray? If an injury prone UFA Peter is worth a decent player (Upshall), a very good prospect (Parent), a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick can we afford to not move Souray? I like Sheldon and would like to keep him, but the kind of return we'd get for him + the potential cap space that his new salary would likely represent is likeyl > Souray.

Minos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:08 AM
Evil Ted

No doubt we could fetch a simalar deal.

I compare Souray to Mcabe so much in differnt ways, last season at the trade deadline the leafs were in a simalar situation as we are now, they could have offloaded Mcabe who was UFA at seasons end for some prospects and picks, they choose to keep him and came very close to making the playoffs after a post trade deadline run led by Aubin, over the summer then then signed him to a very generous contract.

The way it works anymore you can get a kings ransom at the trade deadline for valuble ufas and I think defencemen are probably even more coveted. Teams that sign vetran players to short term deals benifit from these sorts of deals large payments are made teams that are on the cusp of winning the cup and want that one final push.

Having said that I dont want to give up on the habs yet this year Souray is a huge piece and who knows if moving him would change his feelings in the offseason when it came to resigining him as a UFA or letting him go. I have a hard time beliving the habs would consider moving him at this point, like throwing in the towel pretty much.

Either way a team is going to overpay in both regards if we deal him now or wait to match offers in the summer, its an interesting choice management will have to make.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:45 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

technically, what the Preds gave for Forsberg is this :

- their 1st pick 2002, Upshall
- their 1st pick 2005, Parent
- their 1st in 2007
- and their third in 2007 too

I think we can assume Souray's worth at least a GOOD prospect and a 1st rounder, maybe more...

especially when we consider Souray's making a little over 2 Mil, meaning most contenders can afford him, salary wise...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Just like I have been saying for a month now.....Berner and Carle for Big 44....

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Just like I have been saying for a month now.....Berner and Carle for Big 44....
We would have to add way more on our side...

And we still have two weeks to see what will happen. If we are too far of a playoffs spot at the trade deadline, we coule become sellers. Also, Gainey should talk to Souray to see what he wants to do next year because if he's pretty sure to leave, we should trade him and be happy for our future...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:16 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

now the pressure is on the Sharks to do something . They are in the same boat as the Preds, they have a boatload of moveable kids, depth , and have 2 number one picks this year. They have a one year window to get it done, Thornton will be gone if they don`t far this year or next , he won`t be resigned . Carle is a 22 year stud in the making , they have Wishart in the wings , he is expendible throwin a number one and get it done. If Bob isn`t a seller now , he is fool.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
There is no way in h*ll that San Jose even cinsiders this proposal for a second

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Dark4ng3l

Im sure bob is at least going to wait another week to see what happens but even playing at .50 wont take us into the playoffs right now and we are playing nowhere near that.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
souray straight up for bernier would kick ass..
but san jose wouldnt do it...
maybe something like 1st rd pick (edm), MA Bergeron, Taylor Chorney

for Sheldon Souray, Perezhogin

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
PeteLaframboise

I wouldn't be sure, if Bernier was doing so good, he would be in the Bigs. Honestly 44 fits well with the Sharks, i could see this happening.

Let's ship Saku to the Ducks with Teemu, for Perry.

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

now the pressure is on the Sharks to do something . They are in the same boat as the Preds, they have a boatload of moveable kids, depth , and have 2 number one picks this year. They have a one year window to get it done, Thornton will be gone if they don`t far this year or next , he won`t be resigned . Carle is a 22 year stud in the making , they have Wishart in the wings , he is expendible throwin a number one and get it done. If Bob isn`t a seller now , he is fool.
I think this is a scenario where both teams win. Even short term for both.

San Jose would get that top notch power play defenseman in Souray - 19 goals 47 points.

Montreal would get a promising young defenseman - 25 points with good defensive reliability at even strength.

By doing so San Jose would get closer to Anaheim who has Niedermayer (47p) and Pronger (45p), closer to Nashville who has Timonen (38p), and Detroit with Lidstrom (50 p).

With two top notch centers, a top notch defenseman, and excellent goaltending, the Sharks would be prime contenders for the Stanley cup.

The dynamics are very good for a trade. They have young prospect at defense, we lack them. Also, the Sharks could re-sign Souray in the offseason... the latter being interested in being in California because of his daughter... Only LA or the Sharks could really afford him out there.

So you can work the deal, to fetch even more, by having a conditional clause (were he to re-sign with them) that would see us get say an extra draft pick.

Top players have easily fetched a first rounder and a prospect. Souray could fetch that type of return.

Of the interesting players, I see defensemen, Carle, Vlasic and Wishart. I would focus on those before an offensive player such as Bernier.

We could package more than Souray... anything that could help the Sharks get a Stanley cup... in order to snap more than one prospect and one first round. The perfect scenario would see the Sharks fill all their needs for a Stanley cup run, and Montreal get two young defensemen and a first rounder and maybe more were they to re-sign Souray (say an extra 2nd round pick).

Montreal could even claim to enhance their own playoff chances, by having a little bit more depth at "even-strength" defense, having Markov at PP, replacing Souray on PP with another defenseman, and most importantly turn around and use the recently acquired first rounder to get a centerman.

Honestly, I think it would be foolish not to attempt to trade Souray... If not, at least we have to sign him. I have to say, I would miss him for his PP skills but also his character when comes time to defend a team member.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:46 AM
gusfring

Bernier and a 1st. DO IT, DO IT...

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:56 AM
HabFan1975

I would rather Carle + 1st for Souray
Getzlaf + Ryan for Koivu and Markov

HabFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
The Sharks are the best pp in the NHL,they don't need Souray and won't give that much for him.This is a deal that would never happen IMO unless we add an Higgins or something

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:12 AM
znk

What's so hot about Bernier?
He hasnt been that good this year... In fact I've seen quite a few SJ fans include him in their trades.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Mojoe

The point is that we MUST trade Souray, otherwise we'll lose him anyway AND miss the playoffs...

Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:21 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
The point is that we MUST trade Souray, otherwise we'll lose him anyway AND miss the playoffs...
Exactly.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:30 AM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
carolina's babchuk and a pick would be a more realistic option IMO

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:46 AM
bjac

Quote:
hahahahahaha .... wait... your serious?

There is no way the sharks make that deal. Bernier and Carle are better than both Upshall and Parent... Does this mean that Souray is better than Forsberg? lol, NO.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:49 AM
TheGoalJudge

You never know what you can fetch if you create a bidding war...

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Subban Fan

We need a young d-man for Souray...Vlasic and 1st...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
hahahahahaha .... wait... your serious?

There is no way the sharks make that deal. Bernier and Carle are better than both Upshall and Parent... Does this mean that Souray is better than Forsberg? lol, NO.
I have to agree with your comment that Souray alone can not fetch Bernier and Carle (not that I would focus on Bernier in an ultimate deal).

But your argument does not hold. Forsberg's value was diminished because of his major health problems... he is a serious risk. Souray, to the right team could fetch just as much as a risky Forsberg.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:18 AM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
I have to agree with your comment that Souray alone can not fetch Bernier and Carle (not that I would focus on Bernier in an ultimate deal).

But your argument does not hold. Forsberg's value was diminished because of his major health problems... he is a serious risk. Souray, to the right team could fetch just as much as a risky Forsberg.
If Souray is traded, he will fetch less than Forsberg.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:33 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSV View Post
carolina's babchuk and a pick would be a more realistic option IMO
I want Babchuk badly...

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:43 AM
The n00b King *

im thinking that if the habs hadnt sucked so badly in the last 2 months and we'd still be hot on the tail of Buffalo for first place, we could of gotten Forsberg.

i mean now that we're like 10th, there's no reason for him to want to come here. i dont blame the guy.

oh the things that could of been...

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote