HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Pirri dealt to Florida for a 3rd (2014) & a 5th (2016)

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2014, 12:56 AM
here come the

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Good luck to him in Florida. That's probably one of the best places he could have been traded to.
Why? He's their 4th best young center.

Old
03-03-2014, 03:13 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Ehhh...

Florida's 28th, meaning they'll get another high pick in the draft. If they keep the 3rd pick, they'll likely get Bennett or Dal Colle (both centres) and already have Barkov and Bjugstad on the team, with Trocheck and Shore on the bubble.
We need Ekblad or trade the pick for top line winger. Trocheck... talk he will move to the wing. I love Shore as 3C option, but he might have to slide down to 4C thus wasting his potential needing to be dealt for a dman/right wing option in the near future.

Old
03-03-2014, 05:03 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

maybe they'll play him as Winger

Old
03-03-2014, 05:55 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Another horrible trade. Get used to it. We're liquidating all of the prospects we were too scared/incapable of trading when we should have been making moves at the deadlines. That dumb**** POS.

Old
03-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Kurtosis
RTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Another horrible trade. Get used to it. We're liquidating all of the prospects we were too scared/incapable of trading when we should have been making moves at the deadlines. That dumb**** POS.
Quite the overreaction.

Old
03-03-2014, 07:37 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

TUT ......At least Stan didn't give him away but came dam close...

I agree that this seems a favor trade... and hopefully the "futute considerations" that weren't included formally, actually are part of it.

Good for Pirri though.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
but he was a 2nd round pick himself
Yeah. Ironically we have coming back for him - close to the same that they used to get draft 5 years ago. He was a late 2nd (59th), and now his return from the trade will be a handful of picks later (a very high 3rd).

Old
03-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Laughable.

Remember when we didn't make that trade at the deadline last year? Ya, that really hurt us, I mean, we could of won the Cup.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
BK Lounge
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Really? Overreact much. We got an early 3rd and 5th round pick for a player that performed well in the AHL (All-Star) but failed to scored a point in 12 games playing with Kane. Sorry but this is proper value for what he has shown. Pirri reminds me of Darren Haydar at this point (just my opinion). Also teams know that Bowman and Q are not high on Pirri so the chances of getting a high payment are low (heck maybe other GMs thing the same thing as Bowman and Q).

Old
03-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

It was up to Pirri to make himself untradeable. I am sure the Hawks voiced what he needed to do to stick and that was not accomplished. I highly doubt he was in the closet on what he needed to do.

Old
03-03-2014, 09:41 AM
stingo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Your over-reactions, not only in this thread, but on this forum, and possibly this entire board in general are embarrassing.

Pirri was never going to get a chance as a Hawk.

Could we have gotten more for a small center, with terrible defense, who couldn't produce next to Kane?

Doubtful.

Old
03-03-2014, 10:26 AM
hawksfan50

Whether Stan got fleece or not depends both on what Pirri achieves or does not achieve in Florida ANYhow successful or not we draft with these 2 picks...The good news is that the 2014 3rd rounded will be very early in that round...so it is almost like a late 2nd anyway...

Also....if you look at our 2010 draft we had 4 second round picks..3 look like wasted picks.. They already gave up on Rensfeldt who is out of the org...Holly is a marginal man who is a longshot to advance to the NHL even if the Hawks offer home a contract...Simpson will never advance to the NHL and I doubt will still be in the AHL after his current contract expires...only Stephen Johns has a legitimately shot at making the show...and ironically he was the last of these second rounders. ..picked at #60...so if we can do as well with that early third from FLA, Stan could come out smelling roses...BTW...the 3rd round was excellent for us in the 201 draft...we got Dahlbeck and Paliotta..both will be good NHL players for us...Dahlbeck should get a roster spot nectar year and probably is on the 3rd pairing...Paliotta has blood offensive this year on a greatly improved Vermont squad and was always aconsidered a good physical mean defensive man who blocks shots. .but now with this unexpected offensive show he really has shone both ways this year..so very happy with the development of these two men...So sometimes 3rd rounders work out better than second rounders anyway.

And maybe they pull out another Shaw in the 5th round of 2016...so way to early to Saul whether Standard got fleece or even who wins the deal. Pirri could of course shine in a greater opportunity in Florida...but the point is he failed in his chances here and under the Q system.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

This data is from 2009. But you can see 2nd rounders are no guarantee for long term impact in the NHL.

at least 1 game at least 50 games at least 200 games
picks 1-30 91.6 % 76.1 % 62.1 %
picks 31-60 66.7 % 44.2 % 28.6 %
picks 61-90 53.7 % 35.6 % 23.3 %
picks 91-120 38.6 % 23.2 % 14.6 %
picks 121-150 29.6 % 18.1 % 11.8 %
picks 151-180 28.4 % 16.7 % 11.8 %
picks 181-210 22.5 % 12.1 % 6.8 %
picks 211-240 23.0 % 11.8 % 7.4 %

Old
03-03-2014, 12:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Break out the "LOLman" avatar coldsteel. Show everyone how right you were. You so smerrrt.

Old
03-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Blue Liner

I guess I shouldn't be stunned at the overvaluing of a prospect here, but I kinda am.

Pirri, short term, is a better option than Handzus is but he obviously wasn't a long term solution in the organization's eyes, and I have to kind of agree with them. I think he'll be a solid NHL'er and like others who have moved this year, he needed an opportunity with another organization because obviously this one didn't see what they wanted to in him to keep him around.

As for the hand wringing, people are acting like a 19 year old, high first round pick was traded away for nothing. Pirri himself was two picks away from being a third rounder himself for crying out loud. They got a third in return from him, and it'll probably be a high third based on where Florida will fall, so you're essentially get a "restart" button as far as picking another player a similar position in the draft all over again. There's a nice amount of talent in that range in this upcoming draft, so they can get an excellent player. Not like they got a 6th rounder in return. Getting an additional pick in what's shaping up to be a very likely good draft in 2016 is nothing to scoff at, either. (Yes, it's a 5th, not like having even a 3rd but a middle round pick is still a valuable pick)This organization has shown to be pretty damn good at drafting, and to write off a third round pick as "nothing" or "giving him away" is just foolish and borderline hypocritical when the guy going the other way was, himself, nearly a third round pick. Especially when you compare what an established, 20-goal scoring in more than one season, highly contributing piece to a Stanley Cup winner Frolik brought in return, what were people expecting organizations to fork over for Pirri? I just don't get what people were expecting.

And for the record, I think it's a fine move for Florida. I wish him well there and hope he succeeds, it just clearly wasn't going to happen here and they got, what I feel, is a fair return for him.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 03-03-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
Bowman getting fleeced even though a trade had to be made for Pirri... I'm not ready to believe this is the best he could've gotten for Pirri.
When you have a coach who torpedoes a players's value by not giving him an extended look (and by that I mean at LEAST 3 months) at a position of OBVIOUS need, you likely aren't going to get much in return. You can thank Q for that.

What a complete waste of a decent player. Normally I can't stand when players ask for trades, but in this case I can't blame Pirri in the least. Q ostracized him for mistakes many other players were making, and despite not being the perfect player he was >>>> Handzus. Shame on our GM for not having the balls to put an end to Q's circus show. From the (mis)handling of Leddy, Pirri, Brookbank etc. there are times Stan needs to be a boss and put an end to Q's unjustified ********. Meddling with a coach is one thing, but when that person is making decisions to the detriment of the team the boss needs to do his job and reign in the employee.

Old
03-03-2014, 03:36 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Pirri's play merited how long he stayed with the Hawks. Beyond points, if he had continued to play well the Hawks and Q wouldn't have sent him down. It's as simple as that. It's not like Q asks a lot of young players. He doesn't demand that they come in and score a ton of points or be impact players, but he asks players to commit to a two-way game and find was to contribute when you're not scoring.

This board is so childish. Brandon Saad, Andrew Shaw and Marcus Kruger didn't get playing time because they're Q or Bowman favourites. They got playing time because they committed themselves to what the coaching staff wanted from them - Pirri didn't. Had he, he'd still be here.

Old
03-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

I agree Pirri did not show enough. Remember when Saad wasn't scoring early on in his career? But he created chances as well as played excellent D and was strong on the puck. Q kept him in there despite not scoring. All of those things cannot be said of Pirri in regards to making the most of his chance.

Old
03-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
When you have a coach who torpedoes a players's value by not giving him an extended look (and by that I mean at LEAST 3 months) at a position of OBVIOUS need, you likely aren't going to get much in return. You can thank Q for that.

What a complete waste of a decent player. Normally I can't stand when players ask for trades, but in this case I can't blame Pirri in the least. Q ostracized him for mistakes many other players were making, and despite not being the perfect player he was >>>> Handzus. Shame on our GM for not having the balls to put an end to Q's circus show. From the (mis)handling of Leddy, Pirri, Brookbank etc. there are times Stan needs to be a boss and put an end to Q's unjustified ********. Meddling with a coach is one thing, but when that person is making decisions to the detriment of the team the boss needs to do his job and reign in the employee.
Pirri made his own bed, and now we can watch him flounder in Florida like Hayes and Skille.

Last edited by DisgruntledHawkFan: 03-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old
03-03-2014, 04:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

P.S, how has Leddy be mishandled, exactly? Because he's not on the #1 PP unit? Give it a break Zac, seriously.

Old
03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Pirri made his own bed, and now we can watch him flounder in Florida like Hayes and Skille.
Hayes has been horrible in a supposedly more offensive conference. Olsen just meh. I suspect Pirri…..much of the same.

Old
03-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

This years trades:

Versteeg for two young guys who couldn't make our roster and right now can't help Florida
a 4th for NHL depth at 50% salary

now Pirri for what he was drafted a few years ago

Nothing wrong here. Please Coldsteel, start the new Fire Bowman thread.

Old
03-04-2014, 12:44 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Please Coldsteel, start the new Fire Bowman thread.
Only if he wants me to delete it for being OT as soon as I see it.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
03-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why? If he thinks this way he should be allowed to do it. I'd bring up some good laughs, gets our post count higher and the Hawks Board would reach half a million posts faster

Old
03-04-2014, 09:23 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

are people really upset with this trade?

Pirri has been an enigma, we got value picks back for a player that has not performed at the NHL level nor has shown an ability to adapt and find a way to stick up here.

I don't want to lose Pirri, but he was gone after this year anyway. we get a pick back for him pretty much around the same spot we drafted him plus another pick in a solid 2016 draft.

if anything this move opens the door for Kayes and TT to step in as soon as possible (Rockford/Hawks) as they deserve the multiple chances that Pirri has had.

Closed Thread