HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers scouting Gary Roberts

Old
02-16-2007, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers scouting Gary Roberts

Quote:
As many as a dozen or more teams are rumored to be interested in the combination of grit, experience and skill that Roberts will bring at playoff time. Detroit and the New York Rangers each had two scouts at Thursday's game in Ottawa and it was common knowledge who they came to see
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...hers_0216.html

The game was on Wednesday.Not Thursday

Roberts has a NTC and apparently wants an extension in order to waive it.Larry Brooks mentioned in THN about 2-3 weeks that Roberts might be option for the Rangers only if the price is right.Roberts wants to return to the southern Ontario area.His daughter goes to boarding school there.His ex-wife moved back to Calgary.Toronto,Ottawa,Buffalo and Detroit are more likely possibilities than the Rangers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Ola

I wouldn't read to much into it. I mean we got the proscouts hired, Florida seems to be one of few teams which it might be allot of action around before the deadline, they are of course out there watching hockey.

Is Roberts that much of a upgrade over Holly? We don't really need him on the PP, and he wouldn't exactly come for free.

Looking at our roster, if Dupuis is a hit, this might be it for Holly. Korpikoski will challenge hard for a spot next season, and so will atleast 2-3 other kids.

If thats the destinct feeling amont the brass, that Hollys on the way out, I could see us sending him to Florida for a few month of Roberts.

But I defenitly wouldn't bet on it...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:47 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...hers_0216.html

The game was on Wednesday.Not Thursday

Roberts has a NTC and apparently wants an extension in order to waive it.Larry Brooks mentioned in THN about 2-3 weeks that Roberts might be option for the Rangers only if the price is right.Roberts wants to return to the southern Ontario area.His daughter goes to boarding school there.His ex-wife moved back to Calgary.Toronto,Ottawa,Buffalo and Detroit are more likely possibilities than the Rangers
Again, this is the kind of veteran player you trade for if you are a serious contender, so that excludes us. Who sits and what goes the other direction? If it is a stiff price tag, pass and move on. If we have to pay a price I would be more interested in another player, younger, along the lines of Avery's age that fits into the scheme rather than an old player who is on his way to retirement.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:12 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Detroit and the New York Rangers each had two scouts at Thursday's game in Ottawa and it was common knowledge who they came to see
Right, the Rangers would only be scouting Roberts. NOBODY ELSE on the Panthers would interest the Rangers right now?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Roberts has control over his situation and the four teams near southern Ontario are all reportedly looking at acquiring him.He is going to one of those teams.The Rangers do have an interest in Roberts as do many other teams

The list of available forwards is underwhelming-Bill Guerin, Keith Tkachuk, Todd Bertuzzi(bad back), Gary Roberts, Owen Nolan, Fredrik Modin, and Marco Sturm

Robert Lang isn't moving now that Peter Forsberg went to Nashville

The Rangers don't want to take on any additional salary for next season-i.e. Craig Conroy-which takes them out of any Brendan Morrison speculation which was not happening as long as Vancouver is in a battle for their division

The Rangers don't want to overpay for a rental such as Dallas did for Ladislav Nagy

John Dellapina is loyal.Today Johhny Boy is pimping his other favorite defenseman

Quote:
But with word coming out of Detroit that Manhattan product and ex-Blueshirt Mathieu Schneider is available, the Rangers still need help on defense. And that was reinforced when the troubled Karel Rachunek-Aaron Ward defense pair yielded a two-on-one goal to Andrew Ladd with 30 seconds left in a first period largely controlled by the Rangers
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-419866c.html

What is Schneider going to cost?He is a another rental.Detroit is going to want more than a mid round pick for him

I wouldn't mind losing Rachunek who Larry Brooks doesn't think will receive a QO of $1.8 million from the Rangers this summer or even Ward

Old
02-16-2007, 06:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Right, the Rangers would only be scouting Roberts. NOBODY ELSE on the Panthers would interest the Rangers right now?
Horton?Jacques Martin and Randy Sexton are a little too green to make that trade

Marty Gelinas?

Old
02-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Stand Pat

The team is looking mighty as is....unless they want to trade us Bouwmeester for Ozo

02-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Larry Melnyk

Once again I think people are underestimating the Rangers chances whne they get in the POs...

As for Roberts, would have bveen a good choice (depending on cost) PRE AVERY...Now, I think he makes little sense..

Still, I will not be surprised if the Rangers look at some vets for defense and/or forward if the team is going strong by the deadline..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
The Rangers don't want to overpay for a rental such as Dallas did for Ladislav Nagy
Or Forsberg. Jesus, I can't believe Nashville gave up that much for a rental. They better push hard to re-sign him, for their sake.

Quote:
John Dellapina is loyal.Today Johhny Boy is pimping his other favorite defenseman
I wouldn't cry over Rachunek or Ward being moved (though I don't mind them either), but not for Schnieder. Over the hill comes to mind once again when it comes to a guy like Schnieder, and is he really *that* much of an upgrade? I don't think so...

And while Rachunek and Ward did give up that 2 on 1, they played pretty well otherwise.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:17 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Horton?Jacques Martin and Randy Sexton are a little too green to make that trade

Marty Gelinas?
My point is why is the author claiming its common knowledge that the Rangers would be looking at just Roberts. No one else on Florida would interest the Rangers? For example, while I'm not saying I'd target the guy, but, the Rangers supposedly had interest in signing Salei in the off-season. With Florida perhaps in a selling mode, would a Rachunek for Salei deal make sense?

Old
02-16-2007, 08:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Not sure why this team would need another wing.

02-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Fletch

I think...

Rachunek's one of this team's weakest defenseman and has been particularly weak in his own zone lately, but his offense, particularly on the PP, has been strong.

Always liked Roberts a lot. Not sure where he really fits, though. One has to think that Dupuis was brought in to play, and not watch. Avery seems solidified on the second line. On a top line with Jagr would be interesting, but do the styles really work well? That I do not know.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:

Marty Gelinas?
That's who I would have thought of before the Dupuis trade was made as I think both players play the same type of game. I've always liked Gelinas and think his experience in the PO's would be helpful. However, I think he has slowed down a bit and after one game, Dupuis looks like he will fit in here.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

If anything i would go out and get another dman. As long as they dont give up much.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:30 AM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Stand Pat

The team is looking mighty as is....unless they want to trade us Bouwmeester for Ozo
EXACTLY

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
In The Flesh

We don't need him.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:50 AM
polako

Two comments:

Lev - Even if Nashville doesn't resign him, the deal could be worth it from their perspective. They acquired him to win the Cup, and if he does that and then leaves, I would be fine with that as a hypothetical NSH supporter. The team needs to establish a market there adn the CUP should do to NSH what it has done to TB and CAR

FLetch - I'd be unwilling to give up Rachunek at this point. He is on the third pair right now, with an unhealthy Ward, so upgrading is not a major need. Besides, he has been so good on the PP lately, usually scoring or setting up the PP goals.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Rachunek's one of this team's weakest defenseman and has been particularly weak in his own zone lately, but his offense, particularly on the PP, has been strong.
I don't think he's been really bad defensively, but your point about the PP is a good one when you start trying to weigh the costs and benefits of trading him. The PP has been much better of late, partly because guys like Rachunek are shooting the puck. He does have a very good shot and it's an asset on the PP...does that help make up for his sometimes suspect defense?

Quote:
Always liked Roberts a lot. Not sure where he really fits, though. One has to think that Dupuis was brought in to play, and not watch. Avery seems solidified on the second line. On a top line with Jagr would be interesting, but do the styles really work well? That I do not know.
And is it worth it to take Hossa off that line right now? He may not score all the time, but Hossa does some good work on that line that goes unnoticed sometimes. He goes to the net and creates screens, in addition to his usual controlling the puck. His play without the puck has been really good on that line and I think it definitely helps Jagr and Straka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Lev - Even if Nashville doesn't resign him, the deal could be worth it from their perspective. They acquired him to win the Cup, and if he does that and then leaves, I would be fine with that as a hypothetical NSH supporter. The team needs to establish a market there adn the CUP should do to NSH what it has done to TB and CAR
Well, yeah, you can definitely say it was worth it if they win the cup. If they don't, and he bails after this season, then it was a terrible decision. That's why it's tough...it could go either way, and it's definitely a big risk. If it pays off, then good for them, but it's a lot to give up for a rental if that's how it plays out.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Fletch

Is it worth taking off Hossa?

I dunno...the question is, will Hossa come back to earth and will he be effective if the Rangers make the playoffs. Those are two very big questions. I think with Roberts you have a lot more confidence that he will play hard every night and be there come playoff time, if this team is in the playoffs, and he will help down the stretch. It would be definitely an upgrade. I do worry about cost.

On Rachunek - I just think he's been turning the puck over more and losing the puck in his own zone, as well as losing his man. Of course, I think Girardi's looked similar, with which I dont think anyone agrees, so I wouldn't listen to me.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Levitate

Eh...Girardi does make some gaffs that probably aren't out of place in the AHL, but it's not a terrible surprise. I think sometimes he still gets caught a bit by the speed of the NHL and some of the soft, in zone passes he tries should be stopped. But I don't think he's been bad. Pretty steady and I think at this point, is playing his way onto the team for next year.

On Roberts and Hossa...yeah, there definitely is the question of whether Hossa continues playing well for the rest of the year and possibly playoffs. But if you get Roberts, where does he play? Is it with Jagr? Is his style really complimentary with Jagrs? Does he really fit on that line?

I guess it's easy to say that on paper, he gives the team a more playoff appearance, but it's tough to see how things like this would work out. Jagr's line has thrived on puck possession in the offensive zone. Would Roberts compliment that?

Old
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Ola

Quote:
I wouldn't mind losing Rachunek who Larry Brooks doesn't think will receive a QO of $1.8 million from the Rangers this summer or even Ward
Rachunek aren't really contributing much right now. We got some flaws, and he aren't the answear to any of them. But I do feel he is progressing some, and look at Rozsival's curve, I don't think its impossible that Rachunek can become a bit better next season.

Though, more importantly RangerBoy, 1.8 for a mediocre 4-5th D like Rachunek is pretty much. But 1.8m to optain a 28 y/o D, with decent size, decent skating, good passing game, good shoot, solid defense ect is defenitly worth it IMO, just because we will always have a option to move him at any given time. I am pretty sure we could get a decent return for Rachunek if we were to dangle him at the deadline for example, like two 2nd round picks or something like that.

Look at how fast recent UFA signings gain value in the trademarket. What could Marc Savard fetch this year? A 1st round pick? Probably. It defenitly seem like signing UFA's to outrageous contracts are very beneficial, you can always get something in return for them. As long as they aren't extremely stuipid signings like D. Hatcher.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
My point is why is the author claiming its common knowledge that the Rangers would be looking at just Roberts. No one else on Florida would interest the Rangers? For example, while I'm not saying I'd target the guy, but, the Rangers supposedly had interest in signing Salei in the off-season. With Florida perhaps in a selling mode, would a Rachunek for Salei deal make sense?
I think Salei could be an option and a fit for the Rangers..The defense, although not bad the past few games, needs upgrading if the Rangers want to make and win in the POs..Too many question marks back there...

I'm not sure if they will deal Rachunek though becasue of his offense, but I would..Pock is much more likely, but less value..maybe a Pick and a Pock..?

Old
02-16-2007, 09:58 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I think Salei could be an option and a fit for the Rangers..The defense, although not bad the past few games, needs upgrading if the Rangers want to make and win in the POs..Too many question marks back there...

I'm not sure if they will deal Rachunek though becasue of his offense, but I would..Pock is much more likely, but less value..maybe a Pick and a Pock..?
The salary might be more of a consideration.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I dunno...the question is, will Hossa come back to earth and will he be effective if the Rangers make the playoffs. Those are two very big questions. I think with Roberts you have a lot more confidence that he will play hard every night and be there come playoff time, if this team is in the playoffs, and he will help down the stretch. It would be definitely an upgrade. I do worry about cost.

On Rachunek - I just think he's been turning the puck over more and losing the puck in his own zone, as well as losing his man. Of course, I think Girardi's looked similar, with which I dont think anyone agrees, so I wouldn't listen to me.
I cringe when I see Rachunek on the ice, his defensive abilities are substandard and in he will be taken advantage of more and more...I've already made some posts about Girardi's failings, so I see where you are coming from..But attimes, he also looks pretty good..Consistentcy is his problem, not unexpected fro a 22 year old...But the bottom line is that a Top-6 D with Girardi, Rachunek, Malik and even Ward needs to be upgraded..

Old
02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
The salary might be more of a consideration.
Did he sign a 2 year or 1 year contract? I thought it was a 1-year...If so, it poses little problem picking him up at the deadline..

If he has another year on his contract, nt sure I would do it then..But I would dela him straigh for Rachunek..