HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXIX: Down To The Wire

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2014, 10:47 PM
  #76
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I don't care about any bridge-jumpers, I'll get to watch my favorite player stay a Ranger for his career. I'll be very happy.
Yeah and there goes our flexibility to get more talent.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:48 PM
  #77
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
I'm sorry dude, but that's blind loyalty
I don't really think so. It's an overpayment, but it's not a travesty. Sather not having capspace isn't really a bad thing to me: If he has it, it's a foregone conclusion he'll waste it.

I'd rather he overpay Ryan Callahan than another aging UFA who'll come in, buckle, deteriorate, and become what all the others have. At least we know Callahan will work his ass off.

As for his injury issues, the only one that concerns me is his shoulder. The broken bones are from acute trauma, namely, pucks to bone. Those pucks would likely break any bone, and, medical fun fact: those bones that were fractured are now stronger, and less likely to break.

The shoulder with surgery is a concern, but what player doesn't have a few of those. Rick Nash is one Lucic hit from retirement.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:48 PM
  #78
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Kesler offers, at the minimum, similar production and is infinitely more physical. Also would be a great "heart and soul" replacement for Callahan.
I don't know if I want him to be more physical given his durability issues! Haha

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:49 PM
  #79
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR68 View Post
Let's just hope Sather isn't too drunk, and mistakingly agrees to a 12 year, $120 million contract.
he is waiting to use that on Paul Stastny

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:49 PM
  #80
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I don't really think so. It's an overpayment, but it's not a travesty. Sather not having capspace isn't really a bad thing to me: If he has it, it's a foregone conclusion he'll waste it.

I'd rather he overpay Ryan Callahan than another aging UFA who'll come in, buckle, deteriorate, and become what all the others have. At least we know Callahan will work his ass off.

As for his injury issues, the only one that concerns me is his shoulder. The broken bones are from acute trauma, namely, pucks to bone. Those pucks would likely break any bone, and, medical fun fact: those bones that were fractured are now stronger, and less likely to break.

The shoulder with surgery is a concern, but what player doesn't have a few of those. Rick Nash is one Lucic hit from retirement.
That's such a defeatist attitude. If it's that bleak, why root for the Rangers at all?

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:49 PM
  #81
AHB
Registered User
 
AHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Kesler offers, at the minimum, similar production and is infinitely more physical. Also would be a great "heart and soul" replacement for Callahan.
Would also be a fantastic replacement project for Jim Ramsey. Have to keep him busy!

AHB is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
  #82
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I don't really think so. It's an overpayment, but it's not a travesty. Sather not having capspace isn't really a bad thing to me: If he has it, it's a foregone conclusion he'll waste it.

I'd rather he overpay Ryan Callahan than another aging UFA who'll come in, buckle, deteriorate, and become what all the others have. At least we know Callahan will work his ass off.

As for his injury issues, the only one that concerns me is his shoulder. The broken bones are from acute trauma, namely, pucks to bone. Those pucks would likely break any bone, and, medical fun fact: those bones that were fractured are now stronger, and less likely to break.

The shoulder with surgery is a concern, but what player doesn't have a few of those. Rick Nash is one Lucic hit from retirement.
Callahan is in the decline offensively. That IS a problem.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
  #83
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Yeah and there goes our flexibility to get more talent.
Yea, thats it.

The $2M annual raise to Callahan is what would crush Sather's ability to improve the team.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:52 PM
  #84
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Yeah and there goes our flexibility to get more talent.
Because Sather's shown the ability to do that with all the capspace in the world?

Besides:

Nash, Richards, Stepan, Callahan, Pouliot, Brassard, Zucc, Kreider, Miller.

The team doesn't lack for offensive talent. They lack, my god, I know the wrath I'm incurring, Resilience and work ethic. There's no physical play from the forwards, they're way too soft on the puck in the defensive and neutral zone, and there's no accountability for turnovers.

We got some room for offensive creativity moving away from Torts, but they 100% threw the baby out with the bath water.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:55 PM
  #85
AHB
Registered User
 
AHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I don't really think so. It's an overpayment, but it's not a travesty. Sather not having capspace isn't really a bad thing to me: If he has it, it's a foregone conclusion he'll waste it.

I'd rather he overpay Ryan Callahan than another aging UFA who'll come in, buckle, deteriorate, and become what all the others have. At least we know Callahan will work his ass off.

As for his injury issues, the only one that concerns me is his shoulder. The broken bones are from acute trauma, namely, pucks to bone. Those pucks would likely break any bone, and, medical fun fact: those bones that were fractured are now stronger, and less likely to break.

The shoulder with surgery is a concern, but what player doesn't have a few of those. Rick Nash is one Lucic hit from retirement.
First off, it's ironic how you say someone will be paid a lot to come in and deteriorate, when Callahan is ALREADY deteriorating.

Second, the bolded is a complete myth. A simple google search would help you with that, but I'll give you an MD's answer:

Robert H. Shmerling, M.D.
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center


Quote:
But there is no evidence that a previously fractured bone is actually stronger than before the break. On the other hand, it's true that a severe sprain (caused by an injured or even torn ligament) may be reinjured rather easily, while a fracture in the same area (for example, the ankle) might heal more quickly and completely.

AHB is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:55 PM
  #86
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
So the alternative is to just mail it in? Yeah that's brilliant.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:55 PM
  #87
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Because Sather's shown the ability to do that with all the capspace in the world?

Besides:

Nash, Richards, Stepan, Callahan, Pouliot, Brassard, Zucc, Kreider, Miller.

The team doesn't lack for offensive talent. They lack, my god, I know the wrath I'm incurring, Resilience and work ethic. There's no physical play from the forwards, they're way too soft on the puck in the defensive and neutral zone, and there's no accountability for turnovers.

We got some room for offensive creativity moving away from Torts, but they 100% threw the baby out with the bath water.
They lack centers and finishers.. Callahan is no longer one.. Pouilot is up and down.. Miller is too young.. .Stepan is lost. The whole damn 2nd line is absolute 100% ****.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:56 PM
  #88
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
That's such a defeatist attitude. If it's that bleak, why root for the Rangers at all?
I want them to win. I don't think the direction they're moving in is the best way to do it. I think if you remove Ryan Callahan you have one forward left who will play their heart out every night, and that poor son of a ***** is about 5 foot 7.

If the Rangers win a cup, it won't be because of the front office, it'll be in spite of them

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:56 PM
  #89
AHB
Registered User
 
AHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,101
vCash: 500
Callahans work ethic, hitting and forechecking have all been lacking sorely this year as compared to years past.

AHB is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:57 PM
  #90
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
Callahans work ethic, hitting and forechecking have all been lacking sorely this year as compared to years past.
This, forget the goal scoring, all of those intangibles? this season they are long long G-O-N-E

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:57 PM
  #91
NJRangers35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Because Sather's shown the ability to do that with all the capspace in the world?

Besides:

Nash, Richards, Stepan, Callahan, Pouliot, Brassard, Zucc, Kreider, Miller.

The team doesn't lack for offensive talent. They lack, my god, I know the wrath I'm incurring, Resilience and work ethic. There's no physical play from the forwards, they're way too soft on the puck in the defensive and neutral zone, and there's no accountability for turnovers.

We got some room for offensive creativity moving away from Torts, but they 100% threw the baby out with the bath water.
If Callahan gets anything close to the contract being talked about it would be devastating for this franchise. 6 million for a guy putting up third line numbers will cripple this franchises future. This will be Chris Drury 2.0. I would be willing to trade Callahan for a draft pick and miss the playoffs due to not receiving a player to take his spot then to give him anything near 6 years for 6 million. The short term loss will be much more worth it than the long term 6 year loss.

NJRangers35 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:59 PM
  #92
sexton11
Registered User
 
sexton11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
So the alternative is to just mail it in? Yeah that's brilliant.
But.. But... But I have his jersey, and I don't want to look silly when I wear it! Get it done at all costs for the sake of my closet!

sexton11 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 10:59 PM
  #93
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,959
vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
Yes. He went from a lowball offer (which Callahan deserved, BTW) to almost meeting Callahan's demand. Stingy about the little things (300K difference), not the big things (millions of dollars)
I think he is making a point. At this point if Callahan wants to resign, Sather has come along way to meet his demands. Callahan needs to decide. Is it about the money or is he happy where he is?

__________________
"If someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you're not sure you can do it, say yes - then learn how to do it later" - Richard Branson
Gardner McKay is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:01 PM
  #94
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
First off, it's ironic how you say someone will be paid a lot to come in and deteriorate, when Callahan is ALREADY deteriorating.

Second, the bolded is a complete myth. A simple google search would help you with that, but I'll give you an MD's answer:

Robert H. Shmerling, M.D.
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Huh. Cool. New things every day.

Either way, I'd argue that Callahan is not deteriorating. Several breaks to outer extremities, not even joints, would not cause a body to break down before even the age of 30! You'd think Ryan Callahan is 38 and not 28 from the way people talk.

His 28 year old bones are no more likely to break than his 24 year old bones when he entered the league. In another 10 years, maybe, but unless he has a brittle bone disease, there's no evidence that he's more likely to sustain an injury due to acute trauma.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:02 PM
  #95
rangers91
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
By the way, you have to think Sather is drunk tonight due to Casino Night. Haha, someone should have a nurse to watch him.
haha and if he has a few cubans, he'll be really buzzed out, im afraid he would try and pull some stupid trades while he was hammered

rangers91 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:02 PM
  #96
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
But.. But... But I have his jersey, and I don't want to look silly when I wear it! Get it done at all costs for the sake of my closet!
I have his jersey ... I LOVE THE GUY. I want him on this team ... but nowhere near the # he wants. I understand his POV too .. this is his last shot at a big payday, therefore I won't begrudge him one bit where he goes.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:03 PM
  #97
I Am Classless
Registered User
 
I Am Classless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Falkland Islands
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
This, forget the goal scoring, all of those intangibles? this season they are long long G-O-N-E
Guys go up and down in points all the time, especially secondary players, but his overall engagement, his nuisance factor, his physicality have all gone down with the points. Maybe some of it's system, but we should plan to keep systems for more than a couple years. What does he do very well now? He's a great PKer. He logs decent minutes and he doesn't take penalties.

I just think he projects to be a bottom six-only player very early into that contract, and Dom Moores aren't as hard to find as our organization has made it look.

I Am Classless is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:03 PM
  #98
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
I think he is making a point. At this point if Callahan wants to resign, Sather has come along way to meet his demands. Callahan needs to decide. Is it about the money or is he happy where he is?
I think it's about Sather's lack of negotiating tact. He gives in way too easily and it hurts this team

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:04 PM
  #99
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,901
vCash: 500
If Pittsburgh grabs Kesler it's a huge boost and will have a much bigger impact than Iginla last year, for example. He'll end up being Sid's winger, which I can see being a great combo - Kesler is like the super skilled Dupuis in a sense. It also takes pressure and focus off Kesler, which may allow him to find a bit more longevity. At the same time, defending a lead or on the PK Kesler gives them a huge boost and another face off ace to anchor the second PP if needed. Could be a huge move, and Pittsburgh has the expendable assets to make it happen.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:04 PM
  #100
NYR68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers91 View Post
haha and if he has a few cubans, he'll be really buzzed out, im afraid he would try and pull some stupid trades while he was hammered
Like Chris Krieder and Rick Nash for John Scott stupid?

NYR68 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.