HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings re-sign Armstrong for 2 more Years

Old
02-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
I'm not the biggest fan of DL's moves this past summer, but he did try and land Elias and Chara. Thornton played fine, Willsie and Cloutier are the two disapointments and who would've though Rob Blake would have a year like this after the season he had last year.

1.5 million for a guy who has done everything the coaching staff has wanted and has earned the respect of both Andy Murray and Mark Crawford isn't a bad signing. Derek has shown he can do it all, score, hit, pass, and occasionally stick up for teammates. No one ever questions his work ethic.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Cosmos

There's nothing more exciting as a Kings fan, than to watch Armstrong consistently take the puck TO the boards and muck, when a player with some skill might take it to the net or take shot once in a while.

Nine goals all season.

I was hoping that some other team would want Armstrong.

Another character guy with little talent.

Talent wins, character without talent simply helps a team lose gracefully, which may be Lombardi's plan afterall...

Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:12 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
There's nothing more exciting as a Kings fan, than to watch Armstrong consistently take the puck TO the boards and muck, when a player with some skill might take it to the net or take shot once in a while.

Nine goals all season.

I was hoping that some other team would want Armstrong.

Another character guy with little talent.

Talent wins, character without talent simply helps a team lose gracefully, which may be Lombardi's plan afterall...
Just wanted to use your post as multiple people have written this but find it amusing. The 9 goals comment. Now the funny part Gomez = 10 goals. That is 1 more goal. Gomez has once broken the 20 goal mark in his career. Now do not get me wrong I believe Gomez is a lot better, but this is one of the players there have been many talking about wanting to grab/get. Ya he brings more to the table, better passer, what not but thought some people would find it amusing that this player who will get 3-5 more million.

Also to your talent wins argument. Do I really have to go post some teams that never won, which had all the talent in the world. Talent is nothing without character. Now obviously one needs talent to win, but needs character/role players with that. If you want I can go and bring up some teams which went pretty damn far without a starstudded team, and purely on character/heart.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:13 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Derek has shown he can do it all, score, hit, pass, and occasionally stick up for teammates.
Out of those, the only one that I can agree with is passing. Saying that he "can do it all" is quite the stretch, IMO. This is the same Derek Armstrong that we're talking about, right?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:32 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of DL's moves this past summer, but he did try and land Elias and Chara. Thornton played fine, Willsie and Cloutier are the two disapointments and who would've though Rob Blake would have a year like this after the season he had last year.
He did?

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:39 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Out of those, the only one that I can agree with is passing. Saying that he "can do it all" is quite the stretch, IMO. This is the same Derek Armstrong that we're talking about, right?
His point totals when playing for the Kings have gone up every season.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:08 AM
King Blazer

It's not like signing Armstrong for two seasons will be blocking a young center in the organization. Gauthier might make the jump at some point but he's probably going to be about another season in Manchester, then maybe be ready to challenge for a 4th line role. Given the complete lack of depth of natural center prospects currently playing in the system, a problem they've had for years now, it makes sense...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:11 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
And don't forget this team is going to have a tough time selling tickets next season. Kopitar-Armstrong-McCauley-Lundmark down the middle doesn't exactly put butts in the seats. Add in that the goalie combo looks like it will be LaBarbera-Cloutier and subtract the fact that you're a die hard fan and give me a reason why any person off the street would want to buy tickets to see this team play hockey? So going around feeding the fans that everybody they're signing are character guys and good in the locker room is great but if you don't want a half empty Staples Center at some point Lombardi is going to have to start signing or trading for guys who are good on the ice.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Johnny Utah

Good point, but there is no guarantee Lundmark comes back, so the Kings have an option for a #3 center.

In the offseason, I'm sure Lombardi will try and add a center, a top winger and a top 4 defenseman.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:53 AM
deano

Why would you think he wouldn't bring Lundmark back? I'm trying to see the reasoning after he just traded for him. Ward on the other hand might have been what you meant, but I'm sure we will see Lundmark for a few years now.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
lakings41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
And don't forget this team is going to have a tough time selling tickets next season. Kopitar-Armstrong-McCauley-Lundmark down the middle doesn't exactly put butts in the seats. Add in that the goalie combo looks like it will be LaBarbera-Cloutier and subtract the fact that you're a die hard fan and give me a reason why any person off the street would want to buy tickets to see this team play hockey? So going around feeding the fans that everybody they're signing are character guys and good in the locker room is great but if you don't want a half empty Staples Center at some point Lombardi is going to have to start signing or trading for guys who are good on the ice.

Agreed!

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Great point.

I really like the fact that we signed Armstrong to a deal. The guy is one of those good bang-for-buck players in the league. He works hard, produces, and does what is asked of him.

It's a good signing, but what would make it a great one is taking the cap space saved from this efficient signing and putting into another productive center - a recognizable one that can produce and put butts in the seat. Even if its someone like Gomez who costs $6M, you have 3 guys down the middle that can produce and cost what, around $8.5M? That's a great price for that kind of overall production.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote