HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you want Poile to do by Wednesday?

Old
03-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
I wouldn't do anything. If you sell you send a message to the team that management is giving up on the season. If you buy you end up overpaying for anything you get. Stand pat and see how the team does with an elite goalie back in net. That is what I think Poile should do.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 03:00 PM
weeze

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I wouldn't do anything. If you sell you send a message to the team that management is giving up on the season. If you buy you end up overpaying for anything you get. Stand pat and see how the team does with an elite goalie back in net. That is what I think Poile should do.
I am torn... On one hand I think if you stand pat you send a message to the team and fans that we are not going to improve the team at this time. On the other if you sell a few pieces and get a decent return (either a needed player with yrs remaining or good picks/prospect) the fans would be ok with.

Again it depends on what is done. Just no more 3/4th line grinders!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

It's not like the players are fooled into thinking we have a legitimate shot this year. I'd rather show them (and the fans) that we're investing in the future. Outside of a select few (Legwand, Cullen, Goose), there are basically no guys that wouldn't still be playing well in 3 years. If I were one of them, I'd rather know we're retooling than watch Legwand go for nothing.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 03:22 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
If you sell you send a message to the team that management is giving up on the season.
Why would this be such a bad thing? Especially if it nets picks/prospects that will help out i nthe future. If anyone wants to get mad at that, so be it - this is a crap roster and odds are they'll be off it soon anyway.

Besides, the players know it's a business. I think it's generally accepted that teams that are not in contention sell at the deadline to collect assets that will help in the future.

By not selling, you're passing up on giving yourself a better chance for the next half decade just so you might collect a few more points in a season where everyone knows you're not going anywhere anyway.

The difference between the Pens picking Sidney Crosby and some other schmoe was 1 point. I'm pretty sure the pens would make that trade, crosby for 1 extra win 9 years ago, any day of the week.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Predsboro

The hockey fan in me says keep Legwand, sign him for a couple more years and let him retire a Predator.

The smart GM in me says you have to move him ... cannot let another soon to be UFA go for nothing. You never know, could be a true rental who comes back next year if the ownership/management still wants him on future teams.

Move him ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 07:18 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
The hockey fan in me says keep Legwand, sign him for a couple more years and let him retire a Predator.

The smart GM in me says you have to move him ... cannot let another soon to be UFA go for nothing. You never know, could be a true rental who comes back next year if the ownership/management still wants him on future teams.

Move him ...
The NMC says Legwand gets the majority vote here.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The NMC says Legwand gets the majority vote here.

This is what people do not seem to understand.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
This is what people do not seem to understand.
Oh, I understand it ... how many players have waived to go to a team that is more likely able to compete for the Cup? Sure, it's Legwand's call because of the NMC ... but not out of the question. Only a very few people know the truth about what is being said ... and we're not in that circle.

We're what you call speculating ...

Old
03-04-2014, 06:39 AM
PFL615

If Dallas beats Columbus tonight and the Preds lose = quickly 8 points out of the last wildcard spot. Great chance of being 10 points out after Thursday in St. Louis.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
If Dallas beats Columbus tonight and the Preds lose = quickly 8 points out of the last wildcard spot. Great chance of being 10 points out after Thursday in St. Louis.
Dallas is on pace for 91 points
Preds on pace for 83 points

Pred would need to play .710 hockey for 92 points and the Stars would need to play .500 or worse.

Even with the Rinne return its impossible to think this team could win 15 of the remaining 21 games. So we have to be sellers, now are there teams willing to pay HF prices for the parts we want to move? Will not be long until we find out.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Nothing Is New

I'm staying on the ledge.

Four teams ahead of us for the final spot. 21 games left - only nine at home. We play Chicago three times, ST Louis twice, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and San Jose.

I'd say if deals can be made for Cullen, Leggy, Goose or even Stalberg - make them.

Next year we play Forsberg, a top ten draft pick, one of the best top six defenses in the NHL, a top notch goalie, and whichever quality free agent we can Shanghai in to the city.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 08:59 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post

Four teams ahead of us for the final spot. 21 games left - only nine at home. We play Chicago three times, ST Louis twice, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and San Jose.

I'd say if deals can be made for Cullen, Leggy, Goose or even Stalberg - make them.

Next year we play Forsberg, a top ten draft pick, one of the best top six defenses in the NHL, a top notch goalie, and whichever quality free agent we can Shanghai in to the city.
This is pretty much the way I feel- I doubt we will make the playoffs, but I just want us to finish strong, get Pekka back to his old self, and look forward to next season.

I may be in the minority, but I fairly optimistic about the future- as you say, with our young D core and Rinne, we are not that far away from being very good..........

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:11 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Yeah, I agree as well. I guess my answer to the OP would be more of a "what do I NOT want Poile to do". The answer is trade away any of our draft picks or younger players/prospects (other than Stalberg and maybe Spals). As mentioned, our entire back end is going to be insanely good. We probably have Forsberg and maybe a couple other pieces joining the O next year. Just a couple offseason moves and I think we can contend.

So far, we have all of our picks and an extra 4th (St. Louis).

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post

Great response. Fair and rational. I agree.

03-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
We'll do our best up here. Will be awkward, tho, as we're now down two blueliners (Murray picked up an injury last night) and McBackup might be starting.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:52 AM
PFL615

The Preds also need to decide on one of Nystrom or Clune.
They don't need both and for overall ability i would keep Nystrom.

The forwards in general need an overhaul and the only players on the current NHL roster who would be unavailable are Smith and Hornqvist.
That's a lot of players and to be honest any of those players could be replaced by guys like Beck, Sissons, Watson, Moser and next year FF and i doubt their would be much of a downgrade.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 12:35 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Playoff teams are most likely only interested in our top Dmen.
Doubt Poile is able to do much of anything.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
Playoff teams are most likely only interested in our top Dmen.
Doubt Poile is able to do much of anything.
I think Poile could probably find a home for Legwand, Cullen, Stalberg, and Nystrom if he really wanted to.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we don't make a move at all in the next 24 hours.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Predsboro

Just a thought ... if by some magic Poile was able to move Cullen and Stalberg tomorrow, the Preds would have moved all three "big" Free Agent signings from last off season in the above plus Hendricks.

What affect would that have on FAs looking at Nashville this off season? Like I said, just a thought.

Old
03-04-2014, 01:11 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Just a thought ... if by some magic Poile was able to move Cullen and Stalberg tomorrow, the Preds would have moved all three "big" Free Agent signings from last off season in the above plus Hendricks.

What affect would that have on FAs looking at Nashville this off season? Like I said, just a thought.
Also remember that Arnott, who was one of 2 "big name" free agents to sign here, was pretty much forced out of Nashville. It's the only time Poile has pushed someone to waive their NTC.

Damage control.

We need a GM who can right this ship.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:13 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I think Poile could probably find a home for Legwand, Cullen, Stalberg, and Nystrom if he really wanted to.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we don't make a move at all in the next 24 hours.
Poile sounds conflicted on what to do. When he's conflicted, he will likely do nothing.

Let's hope someone offers us something we can't refuse for Legwand.

Or at least someone takes our trash off our hands.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post

For lower picks, you're probably right.
Doesn't Stalberg or Nystrom have a modified NTC? I could be wrong........

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
The NHL is always changing and we aren't the first to do it, but there is no doubt that players will notice if we ship off a few of the players we signed the season before, especially if those players had terms over 2 years. Players sign those types of deals for a reason, stability being one of them.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
For lower picks, you're probably right.
Doesn't Stalberg or Nystrom have a modified NTC? I could be wrong........
Both of them have modified NTC.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:45 PM
weeze

The ONLY players that a team would want are 3 Defensemen and a Goalie from the Preds. Our "Pred way" experiment was a debacle! AS much as I hate to say it but I really don't think we have a chance of making the PO's so I would shed (at least a couple) some salary (Clune, Goose, Cullen, Bourque, Stalberg, Spaling, maybe Wilson and Leggy) for picks, bring up replacements from Milwaulkee and plan to make a splash with offers/trades this summer. Now do I think that will happen, no. I think we will be stuck with everyone of those players mentioned.

The only forwards I think any team might want would be Legwand, Fisher, Smith or Horny. All of the others are nothing special and would return very little if anything. Poile and Trotz have built this team and have put us in this situation. And not a good situation it is. Maybe this summer starts a new Pred way!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote