HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ot Help With Spyware

Old
02-16-2007, 01:07 AM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Ot Help With Spyware

I have a system alert which pops up every few minutes in the corner of my screen it is also consistantly blinking.

When I click on it, it taks me here http://spydawn.com/?aff=334 to some website do download a program to get rid of it I believe but it costs money. Anyone know a quick simple fix for this please help.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Breenger

Try Ad-aware http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-...e_personal.php

In conjunction with a virus scan, it usually cleans up most spyware

Breenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:27 AM
JMMR

I did both and the ad ware did clean some stuff up but the warning is still flashing and popping up.

Old
02-16-2007, 01:35 AM
neopreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I did both and the ad ware did clean some stuff up but the warning is still flashing and popping up.
free anti spyware:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

free anti-virus:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

scroll down to the "download free version" link

these work way better than ad-aware

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:38 AM
JMMR

Thanks NEO worked perfect.

Old
02-16-2007, 03:03 AM
the_hockey_mistress

Besides Ad Aware...use Spybot Search and Destroy as well(free download- http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html ) Quite often Spybot will get the trojans that Adaware may sometimes miss.

the_hockey_mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Blades 0f Steel

My ex ran into the exact same problem last week. She downloaded the antispyware software, which ironically installed MORE spyware that tries to get you to buy their garbage program.

Spybot is the best.

Incidentally, AVG is going to stop being freeware next week...anyone know of any equivalent freeware or am I going to have to pony up? I'm strapped for cash right now.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Qorvus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Incidentally, AVG is going to stop being freeware next week...anyone know of any equivalent freeware or am I going to have to pony up? I'm strapped for cash right now.
I've been running Avast for a while now, and it's been great. The home edition is free.

www.avast.com

Qorvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Kostitsyn404*

It's all about the Spybot S&D mixed with a good AV.

I would recommend against Norton AV just because:

A) Takes a lot of resources. Everybody I know who I've told to uninstall norton has seen some serious change in resources

B) Takes forever to scan, but finds literally nothing when even other free online AV's sometimes find like 10+ things.

I would definitely recommend Spybot S&D though.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:27 AM
AlexMeth

Quick trick for spyware/virus.

Once you identify the source or name of the spyware, do a quick search in google like "remove spyware_name". You'll find lots of people with the same problem and hopefully how to resolve it.

then use the appropriate tools to remove the spyware/virus.

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:39 AM
VanNistelrooy

Try Spyware Doctor. He's IMO better than Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D.

Available in all the good Torrents shop.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
It's all about the Spybot S&D mixed with a good AV.

I would recommend against Norton AV just because:

A) Takes a lot of resources. Everybody I know who I've told to uninstall norton has seen some serious change in resources

B) Takes forever to scan, but finds literally nothing when even other free online AV's sometimes find like 10+ things.

I would definitely recommend Spybot S&D though.
Online scanning is set by default to look for malware/spyware (Norton/Symantec and McAfee are not). Which doesn't mean Norton or McAfee won't find spyware only that you have to use the advanced options to scan for such infections.

In terms of scan time, well that's dependant on a number of factors. If your PC is infected with a virus/malware there are likely multiple processes in memory which are obviously going to adversely affect scan time (especially since most users don't conduct AV scans in safe mode). Given the size of most hard drives, the OS, and software, AV software literally has to scan tens of thousands of files (along with the registry), so even on a PC that has little to no software on it, a full scan is going to take time.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Online scanning is set by default to look for malware/spyware (Norton/Symantec and McAfee are not). Which doesn't mean Norton or McAfee won't find spyware only that you have to use the advanced options to scan for such infections.

In terms of scan time, well that's dependant on a number of factors. If your PC is infected with a virus/malware there are likely multiple processes in memory which are obviously going to adversely affect scan time (especially since most users don't conduct AV scans in safe mode). Given the size of most hard drives, the OS, and software, AV software literally has to scan tens of thousands of files (along with the registry), so even on a PC that has little to no software on it, a full scan is going to take time.
Okay. You are right about the default settings. But I've had trojans which Norton IS supposed to pick up on, and Spybot found it, PC-Cillin found it, Norton does not. And when I say Norton takes up a lot of resources, I don't mean when it runs, I meant period. Run norton on your PC for a month even with disabling it (cause it runs numerous processes in the background anyways, even after you uninstall it the norton updater still runs in the background, pretty lame).

Trust me though, you remove Norton, pc runs minimum 2x faster almost immediately. Known fact symantec makes apps that juice resources constantly. Ever install norton systemworks back in the day? Sure your comp is running "better" barely being able to get into "My Computer". lol.

The problem with norton lies with them having like 18 applications all running in the background, half of which aren't even needed. And don't get me started on the little norton av tool bar.

It lags your system in general, not just when you do scans.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:01 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
...The problem with norton lies with them having like 18 applications all running in the background, half of which aren't even needed. And don't get me started on the little norton av tool bar.

It lags your system in general, not just when you do scans.
Well, I don't use the mickey mouse home edition, I run the corporate/enterprise product. Your 18 applications for AV (and by this I assume you mean services/processes) is an overstatment. I have Corporate Anti-Virus, PC Anywhere and Backup Exec (all Symantec products) running on this workstation and I have a grand total of 9 services/processes running that are associated with Symantec.

At any rate advising someone to uninstall their AV protection (even if it does run like a pig - and it's my experience that other apps are usually at the root of the problem) is not wise.

Old
02-16-2007, 10:05 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
May I suggest that you all switch from the old-school Adaware to the effective Ewido

Good luck.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I have a system alert which pops up every few minutes in the corner of my screen it is also consistantly blinking.

When I click on it, it taks me here http://spydawn.com/?aff=334 to some website do download a program to get rid of it I believe but it costs money. Anyone know a quick simple fix for this please help.
You've got spyware on your puter, it even offers to fix it
Hope you've got a good anti-spyware program. I pay a monthly fee with Aliant Tel Co. down east here for A-1 anti-spyware .

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:15 AM
antidot

this link is the one of an ex guru of microsoft , who decided one day to leave the place . His hobby now , is to find everything that is suspect with Windows .( He's the one that revealed few years ago , the spy that Microsoft had put in Windows , and that did the program to erase it )

there are a lot of little programs , to " repear " open doors , bad fonctions , etc of your Windows .

http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

antidot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
I've been running Avast for a while now, and it's been great. The home edition is free.

www.avast.com
Much appreciated!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
sheed36

When you get the computer clean of all the spyware it would also be a good idea to go to this site: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and install the HOSTS file there.I have been running a hosts file for over a year and haven't had any problems with spyware or other crap since.I don't run any antispyware apps which uses up resources and now only use a hosts file.I usually go and download the latest hosts file once a month or so to keep it updated.It works well.Using a hosts file prevents alot of crap from getting to your computer and I would never run my computer without a host file again.Good luck.

EDIT: I should also add I use NOD32 for my anti-virus protection and it is the best AV I have ever used and it is really low on system resources unlike nortons or McAfee.Works great.

Last edited by sheed36: 02-16-2007 at 01:30 PM.
sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:25 PM
tritone

I spoke with a few IT guys I work with and they recommend
Antivir - for Anti-Virus
Ad-Aware - for spyware removal

I have both on my pc and no problems since I've re-formatted and installed those.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
kenadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
My ex ran into the exact same problem last week. She downloaded the antispyware software, which ironically installed MORE spyware that tries to get you to buy their garbage program.

Spybot is the best.

AVG is still available, but they won't be upgrading the current version 7.1 [I think...]

Just download the 7.5 version.....http://www.grisoft.com/doc/update/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:36 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
May I suggest that you all switch from the old-school Adaware to the effective Ewido

Good luck.
Will quote myself for truth and recognition.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
When you get the computer clean of all the spyware it would also be a good idea to go to this site: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and install the HOSTS file there.I have been running a hosts file for over a year and haven't had any problems with spyware or other crap since.I don't run any antispyware apps which uses up resources and now only use a hosts file.I usually go and download the latest hosts file once a month or so to keep it updated.It works well.Using a hosts file prevents alot of crap from getting to your computer and I would never run my computer without a host file again.Good luck.

EDIT: I should also add I use NOD32 for my anti-virus protection and it is the best AV I have ever used and it is really low on system resources unlike nortons or McAfee.Works great.
Host files are an existing part of the operating system, you don't need to download them. For most home PCs, you should have no entries in the hosts file, any entry of an IP address/domain name aside from (127.0.0.1 localhost) can be remarked out with a # or deleted (you really don't need to download it).

Old
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
neopreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Will quote myself for truth and recognition.
It's AVG...

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Host files are an existing part of the operating system, you don't need to download them. For most home PCs, you should have no entries in the hosts file, any entry of an IP address/domain name aside from (127.0.0.1 localhost) can be remarked out with a # or deleted (you really don't need to download it).
I know a hosts file is part of the operating system but if you check out the site posted in my first post you will see that the hosts file listed on that site is a very effective way to prevent a lot of crap from ever seeing your computer.I have been using the hosts files from mvps.org for over a year now replacing the one already on my system and it as been really effective for me,The mvps.org site as some great info about the hosts file and makes for good reading and I would recommend the hosts file from that site to anyone.It is alot more effective than the hosts file that is included with the system files.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote