Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dobber Article: Chiarelli Making All the Right Moves

Old
02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
BigBadBruinsMac

vCash: 500
Dobber Article: Chiarelli Making All the Right Moves

I ran across this article today and thought you'd like it. It is nice to hear someone in the media being positive about the Bruins instead of the usual hate and ridicule they receive. FYI, Dobber writes for various magazines and websites such as The Hockey News and the Sports Forecaster.

Enjoy!

http://www.dobberhockey.com/modules....rticle&sid=291

BigBadBruinsMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:57 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
It's ok. I still hate the Jurcina trade, but Ference sure looks good. We'll have to see about Kobasew, I'm not sure if I feel he is capable of 70 point seasons, but we will see. Boch has been decent, I hope he can keep it up.

I really want to see what he can get for Sturm.

The more I think about Chia, the more I realize how delibrate and how planned out his trades are.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
It's ok. I still hate the Jurcina trade, but Ference sure looks good. We'll have to see about Kobasew, I'm not sure if I feel he is capable of 70 point seasons, but we will see. Boch has been decent, I hope he can keep it up.

I really want to see what he can get for Sturm.

The more I think about Chia, the more I realize how delibrate and how planned out his trades are.
Definitely agree with this. Bochenski, Ference, and Kobasew were not three players who would jump first into my mind in trades, but all will help this team for a long time in specific roles on a cheap budget.

I just can't for the life of me understand why Jurcina only got a fourth, and why Chiarelli did that if that was all he was worth.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
bruinmann77

i agree i really can"t believe they just gave up on Jurcina.
I rally hope it was not lewis who forced him out and would have like to see Jurcina work with Ray to see if he could have helped.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:32 AM
bringboyntonback

good article. I'm also a little torn bout the Jurcina trade but the youth on this team is amazing. Bergeron, Kessel, Boyes, Bochenksi, Kobasew, Chistov, Kalus, Krejci, Karsums (did I forget anyone) all have 1st and 2nd line potential. I like the mentality of getting speed players who can SKATE. I also expect Kobasew to be that multi-talented forward who can score, pass, hit and fight. I'm not ready to give up on Chistov or Boyes, consider them both just having off years. I like the youth on this team but they have to be used correctly and i think this is Lewis' fault. With the speed and talent of they guys up here already, we should be using two forwards to forecheck rather than just everyone retreat to the defensive zone when the opponent has the puck.

bringboyntonback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:50 AM
rmack27

good article, i would agree with most of it and have liked what chiarelli has done with the bruins this year. he obviously did not like jurcina and just wanted to free up a roster spot for someone else. can't really blaim him, i did not like jurcina either. the only move that has'nt really panned out so far was aquiring chistov. chistov sucks. but oh well, atleast we won't have to deal with him much longer.

rmack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Neely08

Quote:
An aggressive GM who builds around youth and concentrates on development is what brought the Penguins, Predators and Sabres to where they are today.
Good article.

The only reason I'm here regularly, and still following this team was the hope they changed philosophies. The old one included having a token superstar, surrounded by doodoo. Be good enough to keep the fans in the seats, make the playoffs, but not good enough to go deep. Pick in the middle of the draft, while teams like the Caps and Pens become rising powerhouses. Blame and alienate your token superstar, make silly commercials. The stands in Boston speak for themselves. That's just a crime in this town.

Chiarelli forking over the coin for Bergeron, Chara, Savard showed me they cannot be accused of nickel and dimeing studs. They still have to prove they will surround this core with what it needs to be a real contender. But, at least so far it looks like we're headed for a youth movement. Which won't provide immediate gratification, but something this organization and fan base has to face.

What he does next will be very important and telling.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Boston Bruno

The only reason the penguins are where they are is cuz they didnt even have to SCOUT Malkin and Crosby.

Come on. Those guys were GIMME picks.

I hate that the penguins get credit for doing anything other than sucking arse for so long.

Last edited by Boston Bruno: 02-16-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Jason010304

I am in favor of all the moves so far, these guys are young (with room to grow Boch, Koba) and are under contract or restricted for the next few years.............

They are also legit NHL players with futures on this team.

Hats off to the guy who wrote this article.........
Most columnists would look at the moves the B's have done the past few years and "mindlessly" put these recent ones down without even looking at them..........
This guy actually took the time to look at the trades and realize they will help this team out now and in the long run..............

Jason010304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
The only reason the penguins are where they are is cuz they didnt even have to SCOUT Malkin and Crosby.

I hate that the penguins get credit for doing anything other than sucking arse for so long.
Of course they were. But they knew when to cut their losses and rebuild, while we sign Zhamnov and play Axelson on the top line, and get commercials that are as funny by this time of year as the trailer for Airplane.

Old
02-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Silva

Send a message via AIM to Silva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post

hahaha so true

you can't screw up your drafting when you have a top 3 pick in so many consecutive seasons. It's no surprise they have such a powerhouse team. IMO what is impressive is a team like the Patriots that balance the youth movement with veterans and are able to compete every single year yet still develop their draft picks.

Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva View Post
hahaha so true

you can't screw up your drafting when you have a top 3 pick in so many consecutive seasons. It's no surprise they have such a powerhouse team. IMO what is impressive is a team like the Patriots that balance the youth movement with veterans and are able to compete every single year yet still develop their draft picks.
Sort of like Detroit in hockey. We're a far cry from that.

Old
02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
stick9

Not sure how much stock I put in something in a section called Dobber's Fantasy notes.

Quote:
With plenty of fantasy players worth owning for years to come, the Pittsburgh Penguins are the best squad in the NHL if you’re looking to rebuild your keeper-league team.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:13 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
I have given PC (and Gorton) a lot of credit, but to me, so far there have been three black marks on his record. One is the Lewis hiring, a move I was never sure about and which keeps growing in doubt. Lewis is a knowledgeable hockey, but he doesn't seem a leader or the type of coach who can take a team to the next level.

The second is his choice of veteran depth players (Donovan, Mowers, Hoggan, York, Dempsey, Brookbank), three of which aren't even on the roster. The fact is, these guys have haven't had much of any impact this season. Moreover, they've greatly contributed to a critical team flaw. When the lack of veteran presence, leadership and reliability is combined with the considerable youth and inexperience on the roster, the team's fundamentals decline rapidly after the top-end players.

Lastly, giving away Milan Jurcina the way he did is nothing short of indefensible. You don't dish off a home-grown 6-4, 230lbs defenseman with good top-4 potential for a measely 4th round draft pick. If "Lewis didn't like him," that makes the decision just utterly dysfunctional.

Also, while I agree with Dobbin that one of Chistov, Bochenski or Kobasew will ultimately hit paydirt for Chiarelli, as of now, the Bruins have a lot of youth and inexperience in their top-9. That's not a big problem in of itself, but what concerns me is the whether the many parts PC's accumulating will fit together into a well built machine.

Other than that, he's been doing a great job. No doubt the signings of Chara and Savard have loomed large for this team. Moreover, as Dobbin said, with Bergeron inked to a long term deal, the B's have the security of having their core intact for the long term. The Mara deal was worthwhile too.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:10 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker View Post
I have given PC (and Gorton) a lot of credit, but to me, so far there have been three black marks on his record. One is the Lewis hiring, a move I was never sure about and which keeps growing in doubt. Lewis is a knowledgeable hockey, but he doesn't seem a leader or the type of coach who can take a team to the next level.

The second is his choice of veteran depth players (Donovan, Mowers, Hoggan, York, Dempsey, Brookbank), three of which aren't even on the roster. The fact is, these guys have haven't had much of any impact this season. Moreover, they've greatly contributed to a critical team flaw. When the lack of veteran presence, leadership and reliability is combined with the considerable youth and inexperience on the roster, the team's fundamentals decline rapidly after the top-end players.

Lastly, giving away Milan Jurcina the way he did is nothing short of indefensible. You don't dish off a home-grown 6-4, 230lbs defenseman with good top-4 potential for a measely 4th round draft pick. If "Lewis didn't like him," that makes the decision just utterly dysfunctional.

Also, while I agree with Dobbin that one of Chistov, Bochenski or Kobasew will ultimately hit paydirt for Chiarelli, as of now, the Bruins have a lot of youth and inexperience in their top-9. That's not a big problem in of itself, but what concerns me is the whether the many parts PC's accumulating will fit together into a well built machine.

Other than that, he's been doing a great job. No doubt the signings of Chara and Savard have loomed large for this team. Moreover, as Dobbin said, with Bergeron inked to a long term deal, the B's have the security of having their core intact for the long term. The Mara deal was worthwhile too.
I agree with you that some of the veteran 3rd and 4th liners have been questionable, but with the cap in place, how much choice did PC have with the guys you mentioned?

Hindsight is 20-20...I am sure we could go over the rosters in the NHL and find players who made the same or less as some of PC's "busts", but ever team could play the "what if" game.

Also, while it looks (right now) that the Jurcina deal was not a good one, what GM has moves like this that he does not regret. I am sure that PC had his reasons (even if they were flawed).

As far as Lewis goes, I think it's way too early to judge him on that. I am convinced that Lewis is different with the players "behind closed doors" than he is in public, and that he is not nearly as placid or nonaggressive as he seems to be. Whether he is the best choice for the team, only time will tell?

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:54 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I agree with you that some of the veteran 3rd and 4th liners have been questionable, but with the cap in place, how much choice did PC have with the guys you mentioned?

Hindsight is 20-20...I am sure we could go over the rosters in the NHL and find players who made the same or less as some of PC's "busts", but ever team could play the "what if" game.

Also, while it looks (right now) that the Jurcina deal was not a good one, what GM has moves like this that he does not regret. I am sure that PC had his reasons (even if they were flawed).

As far as Lewis goes, I think it's way too early to judge him on that. I am convinced that Lewis is different with the players "behind closed doors" than he is in public, and that he is not nearly as placid or nonaggressive as he seems to be. Whether he is the best choice for the team, only time will tell?
No doubt every GM will make his mistakes, and I give you that.

But in Chiarelli's case, doesn't it concern you the least bit that EVERY veteran depth player he brought in turned out to something between a general non-factor to a flat out failure? To me that's not just hindsight speaking.

As for dealing Jurcina for a 4th pick, you're right, time will tell. But in my mind it's good odds that whatever player is picked will not eclipese Jurcina's status in the NHL. To me, it was clearly a dump, and a rushed one at that. Even worse than giving up on a good solid asset like Jurcina is that York is playing in his place. Scarey. But to top it off, if Lewis helped orchestrate Jurcina's departure, in my mind that says this is yet another reason why Lewis is part of the problem, not the solution.

Which brings me to Lewis ... I am willing to bet the house this guy can't lead a team to a cup.

For one, he certainly doesn't seem like he can motivate or discipline his players well enough. Secondly, I highly doubt his ability to manage a bench or make critical in-game adjustments. I think the number of poor line changes and too-many men penalties is indicative of both aforementioned problems. Lastly, I just don't think he has the intangible qualities or the leadership style to help raise the level of play for his team - that which is needed to march through the playoff wars to a cup.

Usually there are two types of coaches that players will go through a wall for - a player's coach (Lavoilette) or a disciplinarian (Keenan, Bowman). Lewis is neither.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva View Post
hahaha so true

you can't screw up your drafting when you have a top 3 pick in so many consecutive seasons.
Oh, but you can - see: Patrik Stefan (and no, not just because of the bonehead empty net thing)

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:08 PM
HockeyKrishna43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringboyntonback View Post
good article. I'm also a little torn bout the Jurcina trade but the youth on this team is amazing. Bergeron, Kessel, Boyes, Bochenksi, Kobasew, Chistov, Kalus, Krejci, Karsums (did I forget anyone) all have 1st and 2nd line potential. I like the mentality of getting speed players who can SKATE. I also expect Kobasew to be that multi-talented forward who can score, pass, hit and fight. I'm not ready to give up on Chistov or Boyes, consider them both just having off years. I like the youth on this team but they have to be used correctly and i think this is Lewis' fault. With the speed and talent of they guys up here already, we should be using two forwards to forecheck rather than just everyone retreat to the defensive zone when the opponent has the puck.
Doesn't Chistov need to have an "on" year before he can have an "off" one?

HockeyKrishna43 is offline   Reply With Quote