HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The best thing to do ?

Old
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Talent Analyst

vCash: 500
The best thing to do ?

Do you guys think drop in the standing would be perfect ? If we can draft a Sam Gagner , Pat Kane or Angelo Esposito , I think we should do this .

What will happen if we does the playoff ? We'll be out in one or two round and we will draft a so-so player in the draft !

Its the time to draft a potential ''franchise'' foward or defence or we'll be like now in few years .

What your though ?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Do you guys think drop in the standing would be perfect ? If we can draft a Sam Gagner , Pat Kane or Angelo Esposito , I think we should do this .

What will happen if we does the playoff ? We'll be out in one or two round and we will draft a so-so player in the draft !

Its the time to draft a potential ''franchise'' foward or defence or we'll be like now in few years .

What your though ?

You suggest that the Habs keep playing like total crap so they can finish last and draft a player la esposito???

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
You suggest that the Habs keep playing like total crap so they can finish last and draft a player la esposito???
Is it better than finish 8th and be eliminate in the first round or the two in the best ? Yes .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Is it better than finish 8th and be eliminate in the first round or the two in the best ? Yes .
So every team that are fighting for a playoff spot would be better to start losing now so they can have a better draft??

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:41 PM
LamborGREENie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Isn't that what Pittsburgh did to draft Mario Lemieux...

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:41 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think getting Sam Gagner would be a good acquisition for the Habs organization. He's a center, so that best fits what we need. I think he'd be better than Esposito, of course, Timmins' judgement is the one I trust the most.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:47 PM
kenadian

You can always make the playoffs, and then make a deal to get whatever pick you want...........like Bob's done the last 2 years

ie. finishing last doesn't give you the 1st overall pick, just a better chance at it.

kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyPlayer101 View Post
Isn't that what Pittsburgh did to draft Mario Lemieux...
[cough] Detroit did the same for Yzerman.. Quebec and Sundin.. Quebec and Lindros...

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, we don't have to finish last maybe to get a Gagner or Esposito... right now I think we would be picking, what, 13th? Ok, no matter how badly we drop, we can't catch LA, CLB, PHI, CHI, PHX... no top-5 spots anyway. But there are a few other teams within a few points of us, so arguably a move into the lower echelons of the top-10 wouldn't be impossible. And it's arguably possible that a Gagner or Espo could slip just barely that far. No Kane, though.

That said, I don't know that the odds of getting a "franchise player" out of any of those guys is all that great. Maybe you get an all-star. Maybe you luck out with an all-star at the 20th pick too. Not any real incentive to factor the draft into things this year, IMHO. Especially this year.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
MasterD

I'd do it.. sell Souray and whoever we can (Ryder, Kovalev, Sammy, Rivet, Johnson, Bonk) for young guns and tank the season for a high pick in the draft

sign 2 good puck moving dmen to play with markov

in 2 years we're Anaheim

MasterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 04:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Anaheim did it right. They built up through the prospect pool, made some good UFA signings. They got beaten in the conference finals by the Oilers. Brian Burke said, okay, we have a team that can do it.. Now let's deal from our organizational depth and get the players that will put us over the top. That's the way it should be done.. not.. oh we're slumping, let's get a rental to try and get into the third round! You make it that far, adjust and tweak and add.. then you go for it.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
sundaystar

i had a similar idea back when it was malkin/ovechkin's daft year. Not too many posters thought it was a good idea. They would look some good now. The only problem is a team with a history like montreal can't do that. Montreal has too much class.

sundaystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 04:10 PM
kostitsyn1489

I would like to get Alzner so we need to finisg like 12-13 in the east... Well i would like to make the play too.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Namso

we need to grab some picks and hopefully we can get cherepanov with the earlier pick and then maybe esposito with the later one.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:04 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Do you guys think drop in the standing would be perfect ?
No.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:06 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
we need to grab some picks and hopefully we can get cherepanov with the earlier pick and then maybe esposito with the later one.
If we end up with a top 10 pick, we'll get very good talent. Even top 15 means there's still going to be talent available. After 15 this year it's more of a crapshoot than in years past. If we don't make the playoffs, that almost guarantees we pick in the top 14.

edit: You're also nuts if you think Esposito's gonna fall past the 10 or 12th pick, not to mention even being high enough to get either Cherepanov or Esposito.

02-16-2007, 06:06 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:

What your though ?
"We" don't play for the Habs. How can you force players to lose? Especially if they're playing for their contracts (UFA or RFA)
By trading everyone? Well, they're not producing anymore so that won't help us lose. And they suck so much anyway that getting rid of our "core" is supposed to be the only way to win. So that would actually make us win more and give us a worse pick.

Your logic is faulty and you offer nothing besides "we" should lose. I can lose all you want it won't help the Montreal Canadiens.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:10 PM
fredez

Wouldn't it be the worst year to tank a season? This year's draft has no clear cut #1 and looks like a draft where the #15 overall player could be as good as the #1 overall.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote