HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Arena Thread

Old
03-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I won't disagree as I think public transit in both Edmonton and Calgary suck. Go to New York and you see how a public transit system should be run.
Not really a fair comparison. New York's first subway started serving the roughly 3.4 million people of NYC in 1904, the same year Edmonton became incorporated with a population of around 5,000.

Edmonton is saddled with a small population spread out over a large geographic area in primarily residential neighbourhoods of the post-war, auto-centric design. It was never built with public transit in mind, nor did it ever have the population density to make it a necessity.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 09:03 PM
aqib

Quote:
I won't disagree as I think public transit in both Edmonton and Calgary suck. Go to New York and you see how a public transit system should be run.
Yeah I lived in NY for many years. It really depends on where you are going. If you are going within Manhattan or to Westchester or Connecticut its fine. If you are going to the other boroughs or Long Island its miserable

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 09:18 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
All of Edmonton's problems comes down to population density and lack of funding.

Edmonton is massive in terms of area, but the population is very small for that area. It costs insane amounts to get a public transit system to cover such a large area without much tax revenue like other cities.
Yeah, I don't understand Alberta's obsession with sprawl. You think Edmonton is bad, Fort Mac is wayyyyyyy worse. I live in basically the first area of town as you come in, it takes me damn near an hour to get all the way to the newer sections of town if I want to go visit a friend. It's insane.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 11:09 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Yeah, I don't understand Alberta's obsession with sprawl. You think Edmonton is bad, Fort Mac is wayyyyyyy worse. I live in basically the first area of town as you come in, it takes me damn near an hour to get all the way to the newer sections of town if I want to go visit a friend. It's insane.
It's mostly the younger generations view of houses having to be brand spanking new, and typically can't afford it within the city core. Cheapest way to get a house is suburbs and get new house.

Example: Most suburbs houses are 250-350k usually. Inside the core closer to the city, 150k for a rundown house, then if you want a new house, you gotta knock it down, and spend another 200k to build a new house,depending on what you want, which is more effort and time and possibly money to do.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Alberta's obsession?

What you have here is people from around the country moving here, working here and settling down in the burbs in increasingly outlying areas and don't really care where as long as they have a huge place, huge garage for all the toys etc.

The vast majority of people moving into the burbs and driving this market are newcomers to this market.

The trouble with a boom economy as always is it all happens so quick with limited controls in place that the sprawl is allowed.

Plus that anyplace in Canada that has a hot economy has sprawl. This is literally nothing to do with Alberta. Its simply a boom dynamic. Come here make tons of money and buy any stack of cards house anywhere that looks like it might stand up.

For the most part its not locals plunking down hard earned for this latest wave of overpriced garbage housing stock.

Latest ripoff just noted yesterday. Jackoff (Jagare) ridge, way the **** out of the city going for 250K lot. JUST THE LOT. lmfao. With virtually no feeder roads and only basic service. 20 yrs ago you could buy 10 acres for that price in that exact area. With most locals realizing it. Its tulipmania.

Last edited by Replacement: 03-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:38 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Alberta's obsession?

What you have here is people from around the country moving here, working here and settling down in the burbs in increasingly outlying areas and don't really care where as long as they have a huge place, huge garage for all the toys etc.

The vast majority of people moving into the burbs and driving this market are newcomers to this market.

The trouble with a boom economy as always is it all happens so quick with limited controls in place that the sprawl is allowed.

Plus that anyplace in Canada that has a hot economy has sprawl. This is literally nothing to do with Alberta. Its simply a boom dynamic. Come here make tons of money and buy any stack of cards house anywhere that looks like it might stand up.

For the most part its not locals plunking down hard earned for this latest wave of overpriced garbage housing stock.

Latest ripoff just noted yesterday. Jackoff (Jagare) ridge, way the **** out of the city going for 250K lot. JUST THE LOT. lmfao. With virtually no feeder roads and only basic service. 20 yrs ago you could buy 10 acres for that price in that exact area. With most locals realizing it. Its tulipmania.
lol, well done

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:55 AM
ca phe sua da
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 1056
Quote:
Alberta's obsession?

People are willing to pay that much... that's why the developer is selling it for that price. But yeah I agree it's a nice area but it's overpriced because it's hard to get to.

Also, I don't know if you (or others) realize that the City limits actually extend another 30-40 blocks south of Jagare Ridge. With plans to annex land even further south.

ca phe sua da is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:06 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Start by being informed. It has been going further south for awhile now.
I'm talking about when I was younger...I'm well aware it goes to Century Park now

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I'm talking about when I was younger...I'm well aware it goes to Century Park now
OK gotcha…LRT expansion is important to growing city. Our new mayor has vision and so far I like what he's saying. I agree the LRT years ago was a joke (only servicing the north end). But with the new development in the downtown core and by expanding LRT coverage east and west I can see the LRT becoming a big part of Edmonton's development. Personally I only use the LRT for Oiler and Eskimo games as I don't work downtown but if it came closer to my neighbourhood I would probably use it more. Sorry for the OT.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:32 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
OK gotcha…LRT expansion is important to growing city. Our new mayor has vision and so far I like what he's saying. I agree the LRT years ago was a joke (only servicing the north end). But with the new development in the downtown core and by expanding LRT coverage east and west I can see the LRT becoming a big part of Edmonton's development. Personally I only use the LRT for Oiler and Eskimo games as I don't work downtown but if it came closer to my neighbourhood I would probably use it more. Sorry for the OT.
If they had built the LRT above ground they could have built it from Spruce Grove East to Sherwood Park and From Leduc North to St. Albert for the price and had these municapalities help kick in some funds. But no they needed to build it underground because then it won't be an eye sore. How nice would it be to be able to hop on a train in Sherwood Park and be able to get to West Edmonton Mall almost direct. Same for Getting from St. Albert to the Airport.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
If they had built the LRT above ground they could have built it from Spruce Grove East to Sherwood Park and From Leduc North to St. Albert for the price and had these municapalities help kick in some funds. But no they needed to build it underground because then it won't be an eye sore. How nice would it be to be able to hop on a train in Sherwood Park and be able to get to West Edmonton Mall almost direct. Same for Getting from St. Albert to the Airport.
Sorry to go OT here but why should all these outlying towns/municipalities be receiving LRT service when its still not going many places in Edmonton and with Millwoods being PROMISED LRT since the 1970's and West end needing it since 80?

Also the city has a hell of a time trying to get municipalities to kick in for anything.

Otherwise I agree with your sentiment on surface rail being better

Old
03-04-2014, 04:23 PM
fysloc

Another problem I find with public transit, is that unless you live somewhere close to the lrt line, the time wasted on transit(lrt and busses) and costs are more or less equal to the costs of owning a vehicle and driving instead. I remember back in high school when it took me 3 hours to get to south commons from whyte ave because I had to take so many busses, and none of them match up such that you will be missing the connection bus and wait 30 mins for each transfer.

Almost half a day gone just to get to South commons to buy some stuff I forgot what and made me hate the transit system.

Old
03-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
People are willing to pay that much... that's why the developer is selling it for that price. But yeah I agree it's a nice area but it's overpriced because it's hard to get to.

Also, I don't know if you (or others) realize that the City limits actually extend another 30-40 blocks south of Jagare Ridge. With plans to annex land even further south.
Oh I know, but the city basically annexed some of these parcels of land for fear that other municipalities, say Leduc, Beaumont, Nisku would.

have to lol how close some of the sprawl is getting to say Nisku or the International Airport. people should just hold out and await further subdivision and they could walk to work or the airport..

But seriously Jagare ridge is serviced by one primary road, Ellerslie, with adjacent 141st essentially going nowhere, and the community would be entirely reliant on hitting less than ideal 127st\(Partial access) as pretty much the way to access Henday or detouring farther to Rabbit Hill road and with everybody having to turn left on a Crowded Ellerslie to enter into that funnel... So close, and yet so far. Unless you work in Nisku you'd have to be nuts to buy in Jagare ridge right now.

Last edited by Replacement: 03-04-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old
03-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Servicing outlying municipalities should be Edmontonians last concern. Destinations such as St. Albert and Sherwood park have very little appeal...whole other can of worms. Yes it would be nice to travel via train to the airport from Edmonton.

Old
03-04-2014, 05:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Sorry to go OT here but why should all these outlying towns/municipalities be receiving LRT service when its still not going many places in Edmonton and with Millwoods being PROMISED LRT since the 1970's and West end needing it since 80?

Also the city has a hell of a time trying to get municipalities to kick in for anything.

Otherwise I agree with your sentiment on surface rail being better
The thing is if it was built from Sherwood Park to say Spruce Grove and from Leduc to say St. Albert all those places you mentioned would have LRT service. And I can guarantee the municipalities would kick in some cash to get a train built in their respective cities, especially if one or two of the other cities were doing it. It'd be super cheap to lay the track from south edmonton to the airport then over to say leduc.

Old
03-04-2014, 05:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
Another problem I find with public transit, is that unless you live somewhere close to the lrt line, the time wasted on transit(lrt and busses) and costs are more or less equal to the costs of owning a vehicle and driving instead. I remember back in high school when it took me 3 hours to get to south commons from whyte ave because I had to take so many busses, and none of them match up such that you will be missing the connection bus and wait 30 mins for each transfer.

Almost half a day gone just to get to South commons to buy some stuff I forgot what and made me hate the transit system.
I tried to explain that to a guy at work one time. Refused to drive, but instead spent 4 hours a day on the bus. At the time he was making 25 bucks an hour and we offered OT. I told him you could stay at work for 3 of those hours and travel for only 1 hours and he'd be further ahead.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 05:56 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Servicing outlying municipalities should be Edmontonians last concern. Destinations such as St. Albert and Sherwood park have very little appeal...whole other can of worms. Yes it would be nice to travel via train to the airport from Edmonton.
Not if you want to make some revenue it shouldn't be your last concern. How many people would take a train to work downtown instead of driving in and using Edmonton roads without paying for them? Or to a hockey game? Or football? Go out to the Airport and not have to pay for parking? With an LRT you'd be making a return on your investment and maybe the potholes wouldn't be so bad every year. If we had a system like the one I described our public transit would be close to on par or above the rest in North America.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Not if you want to make some revenue it shouldn't be your last concern. How many people would take a train to work downtown instead of driving in and using Edmonton roads without paying for them? Or to a hockey game? Or football? Go out to the Airport and not have to pay for parking? With an LRT you'd be making a return on your investment and maybe the potholes wouldn't be so bad every year. If we had a system like the one I described our public transit would be close to on par or above the rest in North America.
Nice try, I'm not buying the argument. Servicing a much larger population base better is the city's main priority, as it should be.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Nice try, I'm not buying the argument. Servicing a much larger population base better is the city's main priority, as it should be.
Serving the city should be the city priority. Nothing much more needs to be stated on that matter.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Tedi

Quote:
The thing is if it was built from Sherwood Park to say Spruce Grove and from Leduc to say St. Albert all those places you mentioned would have LRT service. And I can guarantee the municipalities would kick in some cash to get a train built in their respective cities, especially if one or two of the other cities were doing it. It'd be super cheap to lay the track from south edmonton to the airport then over to say leduc.
So why doesn't Leduc build their own then if it's such a great idea.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Amidst all this LRT jibber jabber, construction has officially started.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Wretched Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Amidst all this LRT jibber jabber, construction has officially started.
Finally a post worth reading!

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:18 PM
fysloc

Any news article about the construction starting?

Also, who's doing the day to day time lapse picture of construction?

Old
03-04-2014, 06:19 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Serving the city should be the city priority. Nothing much more needs to be stated on that matter.
Balancing the city budget should be a priority. The LRT is basically useless right now and I haven't looked at the budget but wouldn't be surprised if it cost the city money to run it. A properly built LRT would have produced a profit making it easier to expand and leaving money for other projects.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

If the LRT went out to St Albert a boat load of commuters would (probably) use it.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote