HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray, Markov & other UFA

Old
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
How about Kalinin + Biron for Souray? Not going to happen within the division, but what the heck.
Yay another goaltender? How does that help anything?

02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I fairness, his wrist was messed up last season.

Yup, i remember but still, putting a guy on him on the powerplay make him completely useless.

Should we put 6 millions on a offensive defence so he can score for us 20 goals mostly on the powerplay or giving 6 millions for a guy like Gaborik, Havlat, Datsyuk, Zettenberg, Nash, Lecavalier, St. Louis etc... that can bring us much more offense, something we dont have for yearsssss.

I know these guys are not free agent in the end of the season but you know what i mean.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
As much as we all love Souray...it's in the best interest of this team and their future to trade him now. I'd say there is a very good chance that he doesn't not re-sign with us, so where would that leave us? Get nothing for him? This is not a Stanley Cup team this year and I think it's time everyone faces that reality. Gainey needs to make the best use of his assets and think about the long term and not be short sighted.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
I don't think Souray will ever produce what he does in Montreal, only because he fits so well into the system that's used in Montreal. Now if we're going to change the system, then sure trade him, but the guy is so charismatic that I'd hate to see him leave.

Markov's great, but he doesn't do anything for me off the ice.

I heard if you talk dirty to him (Markov), he'd be more then willing to do more for you off the ice.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
How would trading Souray realistically help anything? Trading your top point producer, the key to the power play (especially relevant since we can't score 5 on 5) and arguably a team leader will just sink the dressing room.
Damn I should have called TEAM990 to ask McGuire that.

Very good point, but it depends if Gainey thinks MTL is going to get better this year. I personally think they will...but I don't run the team. If he doesn't think the team is going to get better, then trading Souray might be a good idea.

But like I said, it all depends on how Gainey views the Habs....not how we all view them.

Old
02-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
As much as we all love Souray...it's in the best interest of this team and their future to trade him now. I'd say there is a very good chance that he doesn't not re-sign with us, so where would that leave us? Get nothing for him? This is not a Stanley Cup team this year and I think it's time everyone faces that reality. Gainey needs to make the best use of his assets and think about the long term and not be short sighted.

I totally agree, as much as I like Souray, there is no guarantee that Souray will resign with the Habs next year. Also, if Gainey thinks we are not going to make the playoffs this year, wouldn't it be nice of him to send him to a Cali team as a reward for what he's done for us?

I'm starting to hear more and more that Souray really likes it in MTL, if that is the case, we rent him out, get some good young players or very good draft picks, and resign him next year.

Either way (if he comes back or not), I feel it is a win-win situation. But only if Gainey feel MTL will not make the playoffs. If he feels we are going to make the playoffs, all bets are off and I think he will stay.

Old
02-16-2007, 05:36 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yup, i remember but still, putting a guy on him on the powerplay make him completely useless.

Should we put 6 millions on a offensive defence so he can score for us 20 goals mostly on the powerplay or giving 6 millions for a guy like Gaborik, Havlat, Datsyuk, Zettenberg, Nash, Lecavalier, St. Louis etc... that can bring us much more offense, something we dont have for yearsssss.

I know these guys are not free agent in the end of the season but you know what i mean.
Putting a guy on him is supposed to open up room down low. The real problem is that we don't have anyone who can make use of that room. Kovalev can, but I think he's lost confidence, because he isn't using that half-boards position nearly as well as he did last season. Aside from Kovalev we don't have anyone who can see the ice well enough to profit from their coverage of Souray.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Stradale

Im not against the idea of trading Sheldon but only if we are sure to miss the playoff. Maybe we could wait for the trade deadline to see what we should do. Trading Souray too soon will be catastrophic on the powerplay now that Kovy is out for 3 weeks.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
LesCanadiens

Are you serious? Souray isn't even close to being in the same league as Chelios or Langway....pleeeeeeeeeease.

Last edited by LesCanadiens: 02-16-2007 at 05:44 PM.
LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Im not against the idea of trading Sheldon but only if we are sure to miss the playoff. Maybe we could wait for the trade deadline to see what we should do. Trading Souray too soon will be catastrophic on the powerplay now that Kovy is out for 3 weeks.

I'm with you on this one, Im not saying trade him today. Only if by the trade deadline, it looks like we are not going to make the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Rockomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
Let me rephrase as to Kovalev being the distraction, whatever you may call it.

However, if the Habs unloaded Kovalev, would they have enough to re-sign Markov and Souray?

Hearing everywhere though that maybe Souray has indicated he's signing elsewhere so maybe he's gone?

Team 990 also reporting McGuire is about to announce a trade. Melnick's been sarcastically saying this the whole show though.

-Murph
Well if we had kovy's money I'd rather use it for a center or good defenseman who plays defensively and offensively...and if had to choose between markov and kovalev or souray...I'd definitely keep markov and kovy

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Pascal

I'd make a deal with him that we trade him now, he gets a shot at the cup, and we sign him back in the summer. I'd bring him back as a Captain this time.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:08 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Souray would do the best for the team.. and if the best for the team is being traded to a contender for picks and prospects and re-signing here. You know he is going to do it.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote