HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Winnipeg Jets

Old
03-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Pat Zajac

vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets

Coming from a non Jets fan....I don't get the chance to see them all that much and I'm curious why I haven't heard any trade rumors surrounding them when it seems like teams in this league need to either get better or rebuild. Why are they happy sitting in the middle of the road? Thanks.

Pat Zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Because Chevy has a plan to develop this team through the draft (and trading age for youth) and doesn't want to make any big splashes right now even if it would mean making the playoffs this year.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

We want to be a young team. We're already one of the youngest teams in the league. Our expendable veterans aren't attracting much attention.

And somehow, despite lacking in several areas and having really bad goaltending, we're just outside of a playoff position.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
As said, the Jets are the youngest team in the league I believe. The first sign of possibly making the playoffs is not the time to start blowing out assets for rentals. A small trade is the most likely if anything. Also, if the team is thinking about moving out a bigger piece like Buff, the summer time is more likely when that would happen.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
almostawake

They've been on a very good run since Paul Maurice took over and that has put them back in the playoff race. They have three potentially attractive UFAs to be, but now that they're back in the playoff race it seems unlikely they'll be sellers. Obviously they won't be 'buying' any rentals either. So that pretty much leaves them as a team with little to do at the deadline.

Right now they're middle of the road but they're also one of the youngest teams in the league. Bogosian, Trouba, Kane and Schiefele are all under 23 y/o. Ladd, Little and Wheeler are all between 26 and 28. Enstrom and Byfuglien are 29. The general opinion of TNSE seems to be, at least for now, that there is enough potential top end talent on the roster to be the kind of team they want to be and now it is just a matter of developing and using that talent appropriately. A key part of developing that talent properly is building a winning culture, hence having the kids compete in important games down the stretch is probably more important than getting some picks for Jokinen and Stuart.

Certainly there is the possibility that the Jets move one of the older 'Core' players for some younger assets/more depth. If you polled Jets fans the majority would probably identify Byfuglien to be the mostly likely guy to be going in such a move. However, the kind of trade the Jets would need for any of their core guys isn't really possible at the deadline. To begin with each of them has a long term contracts with fairly high cap hit, which makes the cap math really difficult in season. The second issue is that the Jets aren't interested in deals in which the primary assets are picks/prospects, they want (youngish) roster players. No contending team is going to disrupt chemistry by moving roster players this late in the season. As a result, if the Jets do move a core piece, it won't be until the draft when teams have more cap flexibility and more options to fill holes opened by the trade.

It is also worth noting that while the Jets aren't at a great place in the standings (this season, or really since moving to Winnipeg) over that period they've had substandard goaltending. Addressing that this summer will likely bring a significant improvement.

TL;DR the Jets aren't a team well positioned for doing stuff at the deadline. Draft day is really the time when they'll be looking to wheel and deal.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Whileee

I agree with lots in the posts above.

The Jets won't trade picks and prospects for short-term solutions because their plan is to build around a young core.

They have a few pending UFAs that they might trade for picks / prospects at the deadline, but only if the return is good. Otherwise, they might prefer to hang onto them and give their team a chance to continue to run for a playoff spot.

Any big trades to reshape their core will likely result in getting younger (i.e. young cost-controlled players, prospects and picks), and would be best done in the off-season when a full range of teams have cap space to take on a higher-priced veteran.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Many have been waiting for this group to take the next step since they arrived in Winnipeg, in my opinion. It was long evident that Claude Noel was not the coach for this group, and a change was needed. It finally happened and I think what we are seeing now is a team that is finally playing up to it's potential rather than the underachieving mess they once were. It is still a small sample size under Paul Maurice but I was never under the impression that they were as bad as they showed under Noel. I personally envisioned them as a serious playoff contender this year, and they're finally playing like it.

Had this group performed the way they have under Maurice for Noel, and were a 6-7 playoff team, I think many of the views would be 'this team has taken the step to a playoff team, now it's time to help them best achieve it and endure some experience and success'. But, since we experienced more losing, we're proceeding with caution. Which is understandable. But to me, this team is finally playing in and around it's potential. Finally.

At the end of the day, being the noted 'youngest team in the league' is not relevant to me, not as a roadblock to not add some pieces in order to boost this groups chances at the playoffs. Not when the core and main guys on the team are in their prime and old enough to be competing, no questions. Ya, we've got two really good young players/rookies in Scheifele and Trouba, but most good teams have at least one good youngster making way.

The core and foundation of this team is Ladd (28), Little (26), Wheeler (27), Kane (22), Byfuglien (29 in a few weeks), Enstrom (29), Bogosian (23), and Pavelec (26). And now it appears we can add Scheifele (21 in a couple weeks) and Trouba (20) to that group.

And, these 7 'core' players have all re-signed huge contracts by the Jets since the relocation. Aside from rookies Scheifele and Trouba, and Byuglien who was on a recent new deal at the time of the relocation, Kevin Cheveldayoff and TNSE has forked over 190 million to these core 7.

Sure, the average age of the team is young, but the time is now and very soon for these guys to be a playoff team as a group, gain the experience and begin making noise; if they ever will.

I am not saying the Jets should begin spending assets and go in to buy mode, but we aren't as far away as some would think. It would be nice to see a top 9 forward added to the mix, in my opinion. Possibly a top 4 LH defenceman too, as it is also a need. This group needs to begin making the playoffs and gaining some valuable experience. The deemed core is locked up, the young 1st round prospects in Scheifele and Trouba are here, 2013 1st round pick Morrissey is in the pipeline along with others from the last 3 drafts, etc. The Jets are in a nice position here but the team on the ice needs to take that next step to the playoffs. If Cheveldayoff can find some solid acquisitions in the form of a top 9 forward and a top 4 LH defenceman to help boost this group, that would be a well worth gamble at this point for this team, all things considered.

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-04-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:14 AM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

Trouba's 20 Guerzy

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJet26 View Post
Trouba's 20 Guerzy
My bad, turned 20 a week ago! Thanks LadyJet.

Old
03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
My bad, turned 20 a week ago! Thanks LadyJet.
No problem

Yeah, I really don't see the Jets doing anything.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJet26 View Post
No problem

Yeah, I really don't see the Jets doing anything.
Truth is, neither do I. But it would be nice to see something happen here for them, given the circumstances of the core group, where they're at, what they've gone through, etc. The story's you hear of players saying what a boost it can be when your GM adds a guy or two and reassures his confidence in the team, giving them an even better chance, I'd like to see that here with these Jets. They're growing together and the best next step and learning tool for them right now is a trip to the playoffs. Even if it ends in a likely first round exit. The experience, accomplishment, added optimism headed forward and added value to the 'culture change' would go a long way.

I also understand adding players at the trade deadline can have a negative effect, or not much of an effect, etc. You never know how moves and trades will effect a team. I would like to see one or two, however, for this group.

Old
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Many have been waiting for this group to take the next step since they arrived in Winnipeg, in my opinion. It was long evident that Claude Noel was not the coach for this group, and a change was needed. It finally happened and I think what we are seeing now is a team that is finally playing up to it's potential rather than the underacheiving mess they once were. It is still a small sample size under Paul Maurice but I was never under the impression that they were as bad as they showed under Noel. I personally envisioned them as a serious playoff contender this year, and they're finally playing like it.

Had this group performed the way they have under Maurice for Noel, and were a 6-7 playoff team, I think many of the views would be 'this team has taken the step to a playoff team, now it's time to help them best achieve it and endure some experience and success'. But, since we experienced more losing, we're proceeding with caution. Which is understandable. But to me, this team is finally playing in and around it's potential. Finally.

At the end of the day, being the noted 'youngest team in the league' is not relevant to me. Not when the core and main guys on the team are in their prime and old enough to be competing, no questions. Ya, we've got two really good young players/rookies in Scheifele and Trouba, but most good teams have at least one good youngster making way.

The core and foundation of this team is Ladd (28), Little (26), Wheeler (27), Kane (22), Byfuglien (29 in a few weeks), Enstrom (29), Bogosian (23), and Pavelec (26). And now it appears we can add Scheifele (21 in a couple weeks) and Trouba (20) to that group.

And, these 7 'core' players have all re-signed huge contracts by the Jets since the relocation. Aside from rookies Scheifele and Trouba, and Byuglien who was on a recent new deal at the time of the relocation, Kevin Cheveldayoff and TNSE has forked over 190 million to these core 7.

Sure, the average age of the team is young, but the time is now and very soon for these guys to be a playoff team as a group, gain the experience and begin making noise; if they ever will.

I am not saying the Jets should begin spending assets and go in to buy mode, but we aren't as far away as some would think. It would be nice to see a top 9 forward added to the mix, in my opinion. Possibly a top 4 LH defenceman too, as it is also a need. This group needs to begin making the playoffs and gaining some valuable experience. The deemed core is locked up, the young 1st round prospects in Scheifele and Trouba are here, 2013 1st round pick Morrissey is in the pipeline along with others from the last 3 drafts, etc. The Jets are in a nice position here but the team on the ice needs to take that next step to the playoffs. If Cheveldayoff can find some solid acquisitions in the form of a top 9 forward and a top 4 LH defenceman to help boost this group, that would be a well worth gamble at this point for this team, all things considered.
I'd be more inclined to support the Jets "buying" at the deadline this year if they were more certain to make the playoffs. But even with a very strong finish I think the Jets are still a long-shot for the playoffs this year. They waited too long to move on the coaching change, my opinion.

Old
03-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

It won't be this year but WPG will be making some major splashes in deadlines to come. No hiding the facts that E Kane and Dustin Byfuglien don't want to finish there careers in WPG and a market like WPG it is hard to find players who really want to play there. Kevin cheveldayoff is one of the most underrated GMS in this league and has the best strategy for this ailment. Get young amazing assets on RFA long deals trade them when they still have amazing value moving them forward for young RFA deals. One thing I think is certain for WPG they will always be one of the youngest NHL rosters and hope they get the right mix one year for a run!

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Matthew McConaughey
Alright, Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
It won't be this year but WPG will be making some major splashes in deadlines to come. No hiding the facts that E Kane and Dustin Byfuglien don't want to finish there careers in WPG and a market like WPG it is hard to find players who really want to play there. Kevin cheveldayoff is one of the most underrated GMS in this league and has the best strategy for this ailment. Get young amazing assets on RFA long deals trade them when they still have amazing value moving them forward for young RFA deals. One thing I think is certain for WPG they will always be one of the youngest NHL rosters and hope they get the right mix one year for a run!
Sigh. Really, this again? If we're not hiding facts, can you produce these facts for us?

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I'd be more inclined to support the Jets "buying" at the deadline this year if they were more certain to make the playoffs. But even with a very strong finish I think the Jets are still a long-shot for the playoffs this year. They waited too long to move on the coaching change, my opinion.
I don't buy this, though. The Jets are a small 2 points back of Dallas for that last spot (Dallas has 1 game in hand). The Jets and Dallas play 2 times between now and the end of the month. Also, though who knows if it will have any effect, in the Jets next 10 games, 8 are at home. Adding to their 11-3-1 under Maurice looks promising at this point, given what we know and how the team has responded and is playing.

The Jets chances of a playoff appearance today are just as good as ANY other team fighting for that 8th spot. I see no reason to tuck our tale between our legs and be afraid of going for it. Again though, for the right prices. I'm not saying we should go all in here and begin dealing 1st round picks for Morrissey, etc.

Old
03-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
Sigh. Really, this again? If we're not hiding facts, can you produce these facts for us?
Sure Kane http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-evander-kane/

Then Byfuglien well might be as much as the city not being happy with Byf as Byf not liking the city. The rumors of him asking for a trade after his legal troubles and his quote that Winnipeg is not a city he would go to if it wasn't for the NHL.

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
The Jets are indeed the youngest team and it is relevant because it is by design. They are building a young team comprised intentionally of character players with the intent to be a perennial threat. The goal is to have a team that is deep enough to compete annually in the playoffs, and the time to waste assets for rentals is when you are in a comfortable enough position to risk future depth. The Jets aren't there yet however. My own view is that their deals either now or into the draft will be largely done to continue to add to organizational depth, selling a few expiring contracts in exchange for picks or young prospects ready to join the league, or perhaps move a more prominent vet in a hockey deal that improves your roster.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Huffer

Quote:

Then Byfuglien well might be as much as the city not being happy with Byf as Byf not liking the city. The rumors of him asking for a trade after his legal troubles and his quote that Winnipeg is not a city he would go to if it wasn't for the NHL.
That same author wrote this in 2011:

"ďI canít speak for anybody but myself. The story started on some blog. I havenít even read it. I donít know what to think. I havenít asked for a trade and Iím happy where I am and I expect to be here for a long time.Ē"

Not saying Kane can't get traded for the right return, but the "rumors" of him wanting out, are almost always started by other fanbases in some sort of dream of them getting him on the cheap.

Like to see Buff's quotes though.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:

So, according to that, Noel and Kane may not have gotten along. This is something that has been speculated among Jets fans as well.

You know what happened next?

P.S. No, I'm not saying that Kane got Noel fired. That would be asinine.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
No hiding the facts that E Kane and Dustin Byfuglien don't want to finish there careers in WPG and a market like WPG it is hard to find players who really want to play there.
What nonsense. Kane hates Winnipeg so much that he recently signed a six year deal to stay here! Buff grew up in Roseau, which is not far from Winnipeg at all. Buff is an outdoorsman, FYI. He hates it here so much that he stuck around the region during the Olympic break and spent his time icefishing just outside the city.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 03-04-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: sp
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 154
The Jets were 3rd last in the West when Noel was fired. I'll take middle of the road at this point. They're improving. Unless someone is willing to ridiculously overpay for the veteran UFAs (Jokinen, Setoguchi, etc) at the deadline, I say keep them. The risk of losing them for nothing is balanced by the chance to get a young team some playoff experience. At some point, teams need to learn to win and get used to winning, rather than continually stockpiling picks.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:52 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

People will only hear what they want to.

Guess we should trade Kane for Edler now

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Whileee

Quote:

.... I expect this sort of drivel on the Canucks board, but not here where there are actually folks that know the local situation.

Maybe you should worry more about the fact that the Canucks' "franchise" goalie wants to leave and arguably their top forward wants to be traded.

As for the other "quote". Who would visit Pittsburgh or Detroit or Philadelphia or Raleigh or Buffalo, etc. if it weren't for the NHL?

NHL players want to play on a team where they can excel and win. Looking ahead, it would seem that Winnipeg might be a better destination than Vancouver now that the Canucks look like they will need a complete rebuild.

Old
03-04-2014, 12:34 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

There's no huge moves that would add to our roster greatly other than maybe buff, but he's likely a summer move. Our current ufas are needed and don't have tremendous value anyways.

We also supposedly have an internal cap and are right against it due to stockpiling injuries through the year, Chevy was forced to spend money he didn't want to. Look at how many players stayed up at the big club on two ways.

We also have very few assets we want to get rid of, maybe redmond or postma. I could see a deal happening there.

I also expect him to do his annual trade deadline waiver pickup.

Last edited by allan5oh: 03-04-2014 at 12:39 PM.
allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 01:53 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:

That's your source .

"Kane hasn't asked for a trade, the team is not shopping him...butttttttt he might be available because he and the coach no longer employed by the Jets might not have seen eye to eye."

Not to mention the contract that he signed which extends into his UFA...

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote