HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers scouting Gary Roberts

Old
02-16-2007, 10:04 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Did he sign a 2 year or 1 year contract? I thought it was a 1-year...If so, it poses little problem picking him up at the deadline..

If he has another year on his contract, nt sure I would do it then..But I would dela him straigh for Rachunek..

I think Salei signed a 3 year deal. My point is that Florida might prefer to get rid of Salei's salary, while the Rangers might have to include Rachunek's $1.8 million to balance the cap considerations.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:16 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Gary Roberts? What is he, 85 or 86 years old now?

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Nich

84.....and a 1/2

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think Salei signed a 3 year deal. My point is that Florida might prefer to get rid of Salei's salary, while the Rangers might have to include Rachunek's $1.8 million to balance the cap considerations.
Looked it up and, of course, you are correct....Don't think the Rangers go for a D-man with another 2 years at the expense of rachunek who they can let walk (along with his contract) after this year..Salei is an upgrade over Rachunek, but I think the limited upgrade and contract makes him a no-go..But, you never know...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Looked it up and, of course, you are correct....Don't think the Rangers go for a D-man with another 2 years at the expense of rachunek who they can let walk (along with his contract) after this year..Salei is an upgrade over Rachunek, but I think the limited upgrade and contract makes him a no-go..But, you never know...
This whole conversation comes from the idea that the Rangers had scouts to SOLELY look at Roberts. Knowing the Rangers had interest in Salei in the off-season, and considering BOTH Ward and Malik would be in their final years next year, and the possibility that Staal might get a year in Hartford to adjust to the professional game defensively, acquriring Salei MIGHT give the Rangers an immediate upgrade on D, and, insurance going forward.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
This whole conversation comes from the idea that the Rangers had scouts to SOLELY look at Roberts. Knowing the Rangers had interest in Salei in the off-season, and considering BOTH Ward and Malik would be in their final years next year, and the possibility that Staal might get a year in Hartford to adjust to the professional game defensively, acquriring Salei MIGHT give the Rangers an immediate upgrade on D, and, insurance going forward.
Solid points and I surely won't say he is not a possibilily becasue he is a decent D-man and the rangers had expressed interest previously..I just think after reviewing the possibilites, the Rangers will go elsewhere for the D-man BUT Salei wouldn';t surprise or anger me...

Old
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
chosen

Here's your scouting report on Roberts:

He's old and he's been breaking down regularly for about 10 years.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:03 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Salei got a 4 year deal from Florida.4 years/$12.1 million.$3,025,000 cap #

No thank you

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
McDonagh27

Some of you are a bit too hard on Karel... He has made some gaffs... but with most offensive minded D-men, you gotta deal with it and put a solid d-man with him.. Aaron Ward's play has really downgraded Karel's IMO..

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers should be looking to open spots on defense instead of adding additional years on defense.San Jose and Nashville have young players on their defense-Matt Carle,Christian Erhoff, Marc-Edouard Vlasic,Ryan Suter,Shea Weber and Dan Hamhuis.Ivan Baranka should have made the team this season but he didn't because the Rangers had too many contracts on defense.Not to mention Marc Staal

Old
02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Most of these articles make little or no sense. Gary Roberts? Why do the Rangers need another winger? I thought the problems were at center and defense. And Mathieu Schneider? Why would a contender like Detroit trade him--so Jason Williams can get more time on the point?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers should be looking to open spots on defense instead of adding additional years on defense.San Jose and Nashville have young players on their defense-Matt Carle,Christian Erhoff, Marc-Edouard Vlasic,Ryan Suter,Shea Weber and Dan Hamhuis.Ivan Baranka should have made the team this season but he didn't because the Rangers had too many contracts on defense.Not to mention Marc Staal

Maybe it's true that Baranka's preseaon play could have landed him in NY if some salaries weren;t there..But his play in Hartfortd over the season has been inconsistent at best and telling of a player not really ready for the NHL..Girardi took the step up, played consistently well in Hartford (and had for a year and a half), and is here playing full time.......baranka hasn;t and is where he beongs..now next year, maybe Baranka and Staal join Girardi as being NHL ready..Then we can be like SJ and Nashville..

Old
02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Maybe it's true that Baranka's preseaon play could have landed him in NY if some salaries weren;t there..But his play in Hartfortd over the season has been inconsistent at best and telling of a player not really ready for the NHL..Girardi took the step up, played consistently well in Hartford (and had for a year and a half), and is here playing full time.......baranka hasn;t and is where he beongs..now next year, maybe Baranka and Staal join Girardi as being NHL ready..Then we can be like SJ and Nashville..
Look at Nashville.Relatively young defense corps except for Kimmo Timmonen,Marek Zidlicky and Vitaly Vishnevski.Their top forwards were their acquired in trades or as free agents

For a young player to make the Rangers,he has to be CY Young

Old
02-16-2007, 02:26 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Besides Jacques Martin and Karel Rachunek didn't get along in Ottawa at the end of Rachunek's time there.Rachunek isn't going to FLA

Old
02-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Look at Nashville.Relatively young defense corps except for Kimmo Timmonen,Marek Zidlicky and Vitaly Vishnevski.Their top forwards were their acquired in trades or as free agents

And if Baranaka was as good as Webber or Suter maybe he would be playing...But as his game in the AHL shows, he's far from it..ANd that's why our kids haven't been playing, most ofthem just aren't ready or good enouigh yet...

Old
02-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Here's your scouting report on Roberts:

He's old and he's been breaking down regularly for about 10 years.
Thank you, no way we should be looking at a guy like Roberts. And if we get him who's spot is he gonna take? Bye bye Hollweg........maybe he will be the return that Florida wants.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:57 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Thank you, no way we should be looking at a guy like Roberts. And if we get him who's spot is he gonna take? Bye bye Hollweg........maybe he will be the return that Florida wants.
that would be a very stupid move. If ur gonna deal Hollweg at least get someone around the same age or higher 20's not a 40 year old vet.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:56 PM
GarretJoseph

No thanks on Roberts.

Now Hortons another case....

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I've heard a few things from my source, with one of particular interest to Ranger fans, check out my blog for the info. FYI my source nailed the Forsberg deal the day before it happened, so if you dont believe in rumors thats fine, but I trust him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Schneider or Ryan Smyth? I love both players, but Prucha would have to go if we acquired Smyth I'm guessing.

Schneider would have to see the end of Rachunek or another overpaid dman going their way which makes no sense from Detroits end.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 12:05 AM
E-Train

Quote:

I couldn't agree more and echo your comments regarding Nashville and San Jose's use of young defensemen. Baranka isn't an 18 or 19 year old, he's more than halfway through his 21 year old season. It couldn't hurt to give him a 20 game look in the NHL this year. Can't complain too much on this because the 4 of the 6 defensemen are under 30 but would still like to see how Baranka looks in the NHL even if his isn't 100% ready. Look at the difference in Toots this year from last, just NHL experience.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 12:06 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I've heard a few things from my source, with one of particular interest to Ranger fans, check out my blog for the info. FYI my source nailed the Forsberg deal the day before it happened, so if you dont believe in rumors thats fine, but I trust him.
I read your blog post and my question is why would Detroit want to trade Schneider? Is it because he's going to be a UFA? Because I look at their D after Lidstrom and Schneider for offense and I don't see much. But I must admit I don't catch too many DET games. Is Kronwall ready to replace Schneider on the point? It would seem to me that Detroit would want to keep an experienced vet like him for a playoff run.

And I don't know about the Rangers acquiring Smyth...still seems to me like they need a center and a tough defenseman.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 02:15 AM
dynamoovechkin

Gary Roberts is a poor man's Brendan Shanahan. Pass

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Great work Inferno!

Ryan Smyth would be huge, don't know exactly were he fits in though.

If we didn't have Shanahan, I would defenitly be in favor getting a player like Smyth, now I am not so sure.

Though while he is a UFA, getting him now would almost gaurantee that he would be here in the future.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Ola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCAoOOjHRw

This is a good video of what Ryan Smyth is all about. Canada were loosing to the Czech 2 years ago, Smyth worked like a maniac the entire game. This is late in the game and Canada trail by two goals.

He really hates loosing. Its not that I think he is dooing anything good in that vid, but to loose it like that shows how much attitude he puts into a game to start with.

He reminds me of Forsberg in that sense, loosing aren't on the map.

Smyth would indeed be a great player to lead this team. But he is 31 y/o, we got 4 vets who probably will be here for another 2 years.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote