HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak Called Up

Old
02-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
He's a goalie who can put you on the edge of your seat, that's for sure, whether it's by making a phenominal save or wandering way out of his net.

Apart from a couple of games at the end of last season with the Dogs, I've only seen him play this season so I'm not as clued up on his development over the past few years, but when he is on, at AHL leve at least, he has a fantastic range of skills at his disposal. I think one of the best ways to tell if he is on or not is to watch his rebound control. Sometimes he forces himself to do too much work due to giving up rebounds but when he is on, he doesn't give many up and those he does can be directed away from danger.

He also has very good lateral movement (I think there is a clip on youtube which mentions this too) and can be in a good position for a shot coming off a cross ice pass. He is good down low and even during scrambles in front of his net can seem to keep track of all going on in front of him. And should the shooter go high, he has a pretty good glove hand.

But one of his more noticable strengths (and potential weaknesses, although he's yet to be caught out too badly as a result) is his confidence to leave the crease and play the puck. He will go behind the net, step up to the blue line on occassion, beat the puck to the corners and can move the puck nicely. I saw a sarcastic post the other day claiming that now Halak has been called up, that should help our forwards get out of their slump. If given the opportunity, he will try and move the puck up ice quickly and can do so effectively. But every now and again he gets caught out. He had the puck taken off him in the corner a few games ago (after trying to deke the forechecker, I kid you not) and the forward spun quickly and took a shot. Halak was able to make the save and cover up, but you don't want to see your goalie playing a butterfly style on the nearside faceoff dot too often. Hopefully it doesn't cost him at NHL level and if it does, he won't let it get him down at all.

But he isn't always in top form, he is still an AHL rookie and it's well worth keeping in mind. Sometimes he just can't find his game and he will struggle. Against NHL teams, that could be magnified. But he seems like a guy who will rise to a challenge. He played a bad game earlier in the season and got pulled and Don Lever said later that he didn't think Halak was ready to compete that night. So the following night in another game, he got another start and got a shutout. I imagine when he gets his first NHL start, he will most certainly be pumped up for it so I expect that to be a good thing for him. But until he plays, no-one knows how he'll do (and even after that, it's not like one game proves anything either way). He should be an exciting guy to follow though and I'll be cheering him on if/whenever he gets a game.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Solak

Send a message via AIM to Solak Send a message via Yahoo to Solak
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudethedude66 View Post
he pretty much says..in a very short not word for word version...lol...that they should start halak so that the team can see someone new ,fresh and excited and maybe it will wear on the rest of the team and try and jumpstart a team thats dead right now....and that its nothing against abby...hes jus a new fresh face that might inspire the team...so he says start the new guy
Ah, ok! Thanks!!

Solak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:45 PM
AH

Starting Halak at home on a Saturday with the team on a 5 game losing streak and the starter out for God knows how long would be a terrible idea.

Having said that, I fully expect Halak to start because it's the type of idiotic thing that Carbo has been doing for the last two months.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:50 PM
lennywebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
Carbo is like Stephen Harper...

Now, you know who will be in net Saturday...
He don't know his jobs ?

lennywebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

thanks guys!

I look forward to watching him play soon!

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
mtl_felix

Also, according to Cyberpresse, Halak is not in Montreal as a "Visitor"; he WILL play soon, but it's not been mentionned if he'll be the one playing tomorrow.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
Also, according to Cyberpresse, Halak is not in Montreal as a "Visitor"; he WILL play soon, but it's not been mentionned if he'll be the one playing tomorrow.
good, I'd love to see Halak get a game or two in.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:40 PM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
Aebi did is job pretty well for the last 2 weeks or so.
He will be in net saturday nite.

Halak will get the start for sure in CLB sunday night !! Playing on the road is less pressure and less media.

DO IT GUY !!

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 04:19 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Per rds.ca

Halak will play, no decision has been made as to whether it will be saturday, sunday or tuesday yet. He will consult Rollie and Lever and then decide.

Halak will wear number 41

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Per rds.ca

Halak will play, no decision has been made as to whether it will be saturday, sunday or tuesday yet. He will consult Rollie and Lever and then decide.

Halak will wear number 41
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/223506.html

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Artyukhin*

I don’t know much about him but [Hamilton Bulldogs head coach] Don Lever has told me good things about him,” said head coach Guy Carbonneau. “He’s not here as a tourist, that’s for sure. If he doesn’t play tomorrow [Saturday], then most likely on Sunday.”

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=5673

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Namso

Looks like Halak will play tmrw. Otherwise no reason for carbs to be so suspicious about the whole thing.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:06 PM
dodecapod*

I would sit him out for at least one game so he can at least see an NHL hockey game before he plays in one.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

montreal has put themself in a position of desperate measures.

Normally, I would say for abby to start on saturday and halak sunday... but the team has absolutely nothing going on right now and maybe a change in net can spark the club a little bit.

So, under these desperate measures, I think halak should start saturday and if he has a good game, I would start him sunday too. I'm not too worried about fatigue for Halak, his adreniline should get him through.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:20 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
Carbo is like Stephen Harper...

Now, you know who will be in net Saturday...
Youppi?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Reuben

No i say Abby should be in goal against, carolina... halak should get his first start on the road somewhere. way to much pressure on him in the current situation.would be like throwing him to the wolfs really. Abby can get the job done as far as i'm concerned. Goaltending has been the least of the problems this year.

if he gets shelled at home it could destroy the kid... just start him on the road please carbo please.

i'd like to see Halak get some time, but only if Abby falters.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
No i say Abby should be in goal against, carolina... halak should get his first start on the road somewhere. way to much pressure on him in the current situation.would be like throwing him to the wolfs really. Abby can get the job done as far as i'm concerned. Goaltending has been the least of the problems this year.

i'd like to see Halak get some time, but only if Abby falters.
I dont know if its necessarily pressure on halak. He should be pumped up whether he plays at home or on the road. He will probably be anxious but that isn't the same as being under pressure.

Besides, its not as if Abby isnt feeling any heat. He's been average at best lately.

Old
02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
if he gets shelled at home it could destroy the kid... just start him on the road please carbo please.
Like that kid, what was his name? Vokoun? First 20 mins, 4 goals. What ever happened to that guy?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Reuben

All i'm saying is start him on the road. In this particular situation. I'm sure vokoun's first nhl game situation was nothing remotely close to what it is now in montreal i could be wrong.

And we lost vokoun in the expansion draft we could only protect 2 goalies under contract.

Last edited by Reuben: 02-17-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old
02-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

On TSN Carbs said he wasn't sure who was starting on Saturday but said Jaroslav will definately get some time in net.

Show us what you can do in Montreal Jaroslav

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:44 AM
koyo

Halak is from my hometown. Can't wait to see him get a start in the NHL. Go Montreal! Go Halak!!!

koyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 02:17 AM
Reuben

I still don't think and hope Halak isn't in goal tommorow at home just not fair to the kid...if he is in goal tommorow to me it's more a signal that we have decided to be sellers of some kind and are looking to the future. Abby hasn't be bad at all lately and deserves the start. he hasn't won us any games on his own but hasn't lost any on his own either.

what kind of message would this be sending to abby anyhow? i don't like the message it sends, unless they don't care cause he is UFA at seasons end and not in next years plan.

regardless don't play Halak at home his first game. we have back to back so just let him play against a weaker columbus squad on sunday.

Old
02-17-2007, 04:09 AM
Johnny Danger

halak dominated every league he played so far. i'm sure he will be at least a very good backup-goalie ...

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 05:27 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Like that kid, what was his name? Vokoun? First 20 mins, 4 goals. What ever happened to that guy?
or Michaud. Best stats of all time. Kid never lost, nor did he allow a goal. Where'd he go?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 05:53 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
or Michaud. Best stats of all time. Kid never lost, nor did he allow a goal. Where'd he go?
lol, I remember that

He was brought in for one period on an emergency basis.... But I think he did allow one goal.... but he looked damn good