HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik returns to lineup, and we win two straight

Old
02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I can remember so many threads where it was pretty unanimous that Malik was the worst player on the ice, and ended up +2. He was horrible in October and still went +4.
It is rather amazing. At many times this year, Malik was hailed as our worst defenseman, but here he is at +21. If nothing else, it shows you how useless that particular stat is when it comes time to juding a player's worth.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:43 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Most of the NYR fans do not understand the game of hockey.
Some things just never change. No matter how many days I may not have a chance to get on, some things just stay the same.

Old
02-14-2007, 10:08 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It is rather amazing. At many times this year, Malik was hailed as our worst defenseman, but here he is at +21. If nothing else, it shows you how useless that particular stat is when it comes time to juding a player's worth.
Numbers only tell you so much. Like I said earlier, you have to watch the game.

What isn't represented in the +/- is how many lazy penalties he takes, his lack of hustle, his lack of effort on the PK, and his terrible decision making.

Let's trade him for somebody good.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:30 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Malik + Dressed = Another win.

02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
bcrt2000

Could someone whip up how the Rangers are overall with and without Malik since the lockout? I bet you'd see that the Rangers are MUCH better with him healthy. Why? I dunno.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:57 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Could someone whip up how the Rangers are overall with and without Malik since the lockout? I bet you'd see that the Rangers are MUCH better with him healthy. Why? I dunno.
Well last night it was because Malik was one of many who played an outstanding game.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:09 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Well last night it was because Malik was one of many who played an outstanding game.
Personally, I don't think Malik is as bad as people think. He seems to be a stablizing force whenever he's in the lineup. If you look at last season, when he was injured late in the season, our D was brutal.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
NYROrtsFan

He's not bad... It's just that he's a big man who doesnt show a lot of emotion and certainly doesnt take the body.

The team was going badly and New York fans typically look for a scapegoat with the qualities of Malik.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Personally, I don't think Malik is as bad as people think.
It's not a matter of "thinking" he's bad. If I see any player make several bad decisions during a game, I'd characterize it as a bad game. Malik's had many this year.

HOWEVER, last night was not one of them. That was the type of game I was used to seeing from Malik last year. Could be a factor of a very competent defensive effort from all, doesn't really matter I guess, it was just a big improvement.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Chimp

I don't think anyone want to bash Malik just for the fun of it. If he plays well, the criticism ends. It's a very simple action and reaction theme.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:18 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
The team was going badly and New York fans typically look for a scapegoat with the qualities of Malik.
This really gets old. No one is making Malik a scapegoat. His play for the better part of this season has been subpar. That makes people single him out.

Old
02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
NYROrtsFan

His play being subpar is based on opinion... People tend to get more annoyed with players like Malik who are big, show no emotion, and dont take the body. There are other guys who warranted benching and Malik wasnt being bad enough imo to be the guy to catch all of the boos. Definitely not enough to start the booing theme early on in the games.

He clearly has his problems out there but i don't think he was all that much worse than a couple of guys. It is pretty clear now that for whatever reason, good things happen with the Rangers when he's out there. WHether it be him dressed or him on the ice, the Rangers do well with it. Far too much in sports fans underestimate the intangible part of things... Whether it be locker room, little positioning decisions, the confidence that player may give others around him. And the hundred other things i cant even think of. Those things are the reasons why people rarely see the best on-paper team win the championship.

Old
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
His play being subpar is based on opinion... People tend to get more annoyed with players like Malik who are big, show no emotion, and dont take the body.
That is just an excuse. Malik was given his due last year. And now, we are just suddenly annoyed that he is soft? No offense, but that's a crock. How many times have we said just how poor he was, and here he is emerging as a +2 player?
Quote:
He clearly has his problems out there but i don't think he was all that much worse than a couple of guys.
Like whom? Kasper or Ozolinsh? Ozolinsh should have never hit the ice this year and it is still debateable as to whether or not Kasper or Malik were the next worst defenseman on this team.

Old
02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
NYROrtsFan

Last year I think Malik got what just about each of the Rangers got considering how well everything seemed to go. When things go bad, it is natural for people to start to decide who they wanted gone... Malik was in a similar boat as Nedved... Relatively big guys who didnt show much emotion and played soft. Rangers fans just dont take kindly to those types of players. Understood it for a few of those years with Nedved (he had the one really good year imo) but not as much with Malik.

Kaspar and Ozo are just two. I think Pock gets far too much love by a lot of people.. Personally think his defensive positioning is awful. WOuld take Rachunek over him personally. Cullen and Prucha deserved their fair share too. Prucha should and does get a pass though because of the age.

Honestly with Malik, i think he was completely awful the first couple games of the season. After that he was give and take. The plus-minus stat has its flaws, but it is what it is... Even strength, when he is on the ice the Rangers do well. If it was a simple as playing with Jagr then Rozy would be up there as well. Not only that, but good things seem to happen on the ice with Malik for the last 5 years.

Personally i think his plus-minus is good because he makes excellent outlet passes... As a matter of fact i think he's probably the best on the team at them. He'll eat a hit much of the time to make a good pass (although there are the few that he seems to throw away). Not only does he avoid the simple toss up the boards like many defenseman do, he puts the guys in a position to get the puck down to the offensive zone. And i think his decisions in the offensive zone in terms of when to put the puck deep, and when to hold it a bit are very good as well.

And for whatever reason, if God gave him enough luck that his throwaways dont seem to end up in the net, then so be it. Sports are full of players like that. Some guys just seem to cause good things and its not easy to quantify.

Plus, there is a reason that the best defensemen typically lead the league in plus-minus... A bad defenseman can get away and hang around even, but they dont just find a way to get around 20+. sry so long.