HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

HOH Top 40 Goaltenders of All Time

Old
02-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I think Id add Bill Durnan there to Honorable Mentions.... Turk Broda another.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I think Id add Bill Durnan there to Honorable Mentions.... Turk Broda another.
I do not think NBCSN went back that far period because with the exception of Tretiak every other goalie they skipped over was retired by 1951 (3 in 1950 or 1951 and the other 3 in the 1920s or 1930s. That said, I was pleasantly surprised a more mainstream TV special came pretty close to matching a hardcore enthusiast hockey community's assessment.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Copmuters

Just for the sake of discussion...

Was Grant Fuhr really any better than Tom Barrasso?

Also, Curtis Joseph always seemed to be the best player during the playoffs each year during his time with the Oilers...

They'd finish as the 7th or 8th seed and have to battle Dallas or Colorado in the 1st round, but it seemed like every game went into OT or was decided by a goal

4th all-time in career wins with the same career save% as Belfour

CuJo deserves an honourable mention

Copmuters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:20 PM
getwiththeprogram*

Hasek was better than Roy. I'm surprised at the outcome. Peak against peak, it's Hasek by a lot. If I was playing one game with my life on the line, I want Hasek in goal for me.

getwiththeprogram* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyoutalkingbout View Post
Hasek was better than Roy. I'm surprised at the outcome. Peak against peak, it's Hasek by a lot. If I was playing one game with my life on the line, I want Hasek in goal for me.
When do you think Roy's peak was?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:59 PM
getwiththeprogram*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Wow, that's a good question. I was thinking of Hasek's incredible peak in the last half of the 1990s when I was writing that. I suppose Roy's best season, relative to his peers, might have been 1991-92. But I think Hasek's peak was still more dominant. As a Canadian, we sometimes fall too much in love with our own and overlook worthy players elsewhere. Roy was very good, but I think he's overrated on these boards. Hasek literally willed teams to wins - and he did it time and time and time again. To me, the 1998 Olympics was the greatest example I can think of vis--vis a goaltender intimidating world-class players. He intimidated Canada in the semis and shut down a good Russian team in the finals. He made a mediocre Sabres team a Stanley cup threat.

His top end was scarier than Roy's.

getwiththeprogram* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 06:12 AM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copmuters View Post
Just for the sake of discussion...

Was Grant Fuhr really any better than Tom Barrasso?

Also, Curtis Joseph always seemed to be the best player during the playoffs each year during his time with the Oilers...

They'd finish as the 7th or 8th seed and have to battle Dallas or Colorado in the 1st round, but it seemed like every game went into OT or was decided by a goal

4th all-time in career wins with the same career save% as Belfour

CuJo deserves an honourable mention
CuJo was 31

bigbuffalo313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Copmuters

Cujo is the hockey equivalent of Tom Glavine

Hasek = Pedro

Roy = Clemens

Brodeur = Maddux

Belfour = Johnson

Grant Fuhr = Fernando Valenzuela

Copmuters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

So... I made a massive post and the forum ate it. I'm rather depressed about that.

To sum it up, I was doing a comparison of using various different scoring systems based on the same voting results (with the objective of separating the values of the votes a little more, and to eliminate outliers such as phantom 7th place votes for Hasek, etc).

The ultimate result, at least in regards to the Hasek vs Roy debate, is that while Hasek won slightly (and I mean very slightly; by less than 1% in some of the systems) in most, I ultimately consider their results a tie.

One bit of math I wish to preserve was an absurd look at the original scoring system, and my reason for disliking it.

24 voter sample size

Player A: 15 first place votes, 1 third place vote, 8 seventh place votes. = 118 votes
Player B: 19 2nd place votes, 5 7th place votes = 119 votes
Player C: 30 3rd place votes = 120 pts

The ultimate result? A player that receives no first or second place votes takes 1st place. Another player that receives 19/24 2nd place votes ranks behind one that took no 1st OR 2nd place votes. A player 62.5% of voters thinks is worthy of 1st place ranks behind two players that received no votes for 1st place.

While indeed absurd, it does point out possible flaws in the scoring system. I suppose I'll have to join in next time (I really should post here more often)...

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

You can contrive an absurd outcome from just about any scoring system. All you've proven is that you can do that here as well.

Was that even close to the voting that actually happened here? No.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
One bit of math I wish to preserve was an absurd look at the original scoring system, and my reason for disliking it.

24 voter sample size

Player A: 15 first place votes, 1 third place vote, 8 seventh place votes. = 118 votes
Player B: 19 2nd place votes, 5 7th place votes = 119 votes
Player C: 30 3rd place votes = 120 pts
30 votes from 24 voters would certainly be absurd. (24x4=96)

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 08:50 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
30 votes from 24 voters would certainly be absurd. (24x4=96)
He typed it wrong. 3rd place should get 5 points if there are 7 names up and 24 X 5 = 120. I don't see anything wrong with those results, though

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
He typed it wrong. 3rd place should get 5 points if there are 7 names up and 24 X 5 = 120. I don't see anything wrong with those results, though
I think you'd see something "wrong" with the results of any voting in which a guy got over half the 1st place votes, but only 1 3rd, and 8 7th place finishes; let alone the 2nd place guy getting almost consensus #2 voting support, but no votes at all pegging him anything between that and 7th place.

Even if the potential math is sound enough, the situation that you'd have to imagine is fairly absurd - enough so, imo, that the scoring system would be a secondary or tertiary "concern" at best.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:27 AM
seabass33
Rookie User

Quote:
*Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! I know this one!* (flails his scholarly arm wildly)
The playoffs!

I went through round 2, vote 1 in it's entirety (skimmed over the oldies as I have no real frame of refence aside from the stats provided), 1958 Habs vote, and this one and am thoroughly impressed by 1. The quality of discourse. 2. The consideration afforded all athletes in question. 3. See #1. Also cool to see my boyhood idol edge the Dominator in what's basically a tie.

Someone compared Hasek to Peyton Manning - No, no, no - Hell no. In three words - Hasek was exciting, effective, and unorthodox. Peyton Manning shares only one of those traits with Hasek - Barry Sanders and Favre would be more apt NFL comparisons.

Thank you for putting so much time, effort and information into this.

seabass33 is offline   Reply With Quote