HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Old
02-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Thinking about replacing my 5+ years old Graf 709s, size 6. I know I was properly sized and I've had no problems with them playing consistently 2-3 times per week. No blisters, no lace bite, nothing. But the one thing I've realized is that my toes have never come close to touching the front of the boot. And I always struggle with tightening my laces just right. I have to use minimal force on the middle laces or my feet cramp up.

I have small feet with high arches and based on the 709 description, I have "wide thick feet." I never would have thought that, I guess it's in context of the length.

If I remember correctly, either the 5.5 Grafs weren't in stock or the salesperson said that getting the length correct would lead to an instep that was too shallow and that would be the worse of two evils. I think it was the latter.

So I'm wondering if pursuing new skates would lead to an improvement. I'm not looking to drop a ton of money just for the sake of something new. I'm generally a strong skater but with all the attention aimed at skate size, I'm wondering how skates that are too long might be affecting me.

After researching online though, if my instep is so unusually deep for my foot size, then Grafs seem to be the deepest. Am I right about that? Maybe this is the skate for me?

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 03:30 PM
AIREAYE

Well, keep in mind that Graf has many different types of fit and the challenge nowadays with their business failing is finding the exact line, model, size and width (imagine the confusion!) in stock at stores who no longer carry full line Graf!

It sounds like you were not presented with other skates and fits in 5.5 besides Graf? In that case, the best thing to do is to try on different models and see what fits your foot now. Perhaps Bauer Supreme or Nexus, or CCM.

Having skates that are too long run the risk of excess space, which in turn risks abrasion and loss of control.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Just got the RS's. They fit like a glove.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 04:53 AM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Just got the RS's. They fit like a glove.
My thoughts exactly...
Planned on spending 200, tried vapors(too narrow toebox), supremes(too wide) grafs (decent fit-QC), rbz (too deep)....
Had the one.7's on, but really didn't want to spend 359 on a skate that worried me....I didn't care that the RS was 399 once I tried them on!

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Trl3789

Took my skates out for stick and puck today. Only issue with them is my right foot was getting squeezed around the instep pretty badly. I know eventually they'll stretch out a bit, as I had the same issue with my supremes too (again, right foot only) and now they're extremely comfortable. Is there any thing I can do to speed up the process? I had them baked, would it be worth doing it again?

Old
03-01-2014, 12:58 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Took my skates out for stick and puck today. Only issue with them is my right foot was getting squeezed around the instep pretty badly. I know eventually they'll stretch out a bit, as I had the same issue with my supremes too (again, right foot only) and now they're extremely comfortable. Is there any thing I can do to speed up the process? I had them baked, would it be worth doing it again?
Maybe wear them around the house. Yes, you can get them baked again. I baked my skates twice, but I think 2 times is the limit or maybe 3? Is there instructions on the box?

29MacKinnon29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 12:59 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
Like all skates, it took a couple of laps to figure out the tightness I wanted with my RS, and I prefer a lil looser in the midfoot.
No issues since.
Did you try and change the arch pad?

Old
03-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
Like all skates, it took a couple of laps to figure out the tightness I wanted with my RS, and I prefer a lil looser in the midfoot.
No issues since.
Did you try and change the arch pad?
I took the super feet out of my supremes and put them in the RS's, which is why I'm pretty sure it's the width and not the arch support

Old
03-01-2014, 01:07 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
I took the super feet out of my supremes and put them in the RS's, which is why I'm pretty sure it's the width and not the arch support
Like I said earlier, I had 0ne.7's on, and they were a bit too wide for me, I found the RS perfect.

Old
03-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Stickchecked

I'm starting to look at skate prices and noticed that prices for junior skates are quite a bit less than senior skates. If I'm truly a size 5.5 (junior), does this difference in price imply a difference in quality? Or do I just luck out with the price dynamics for junior skates?

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:12 PM
AIREAYE

Junior skates typically are missing a few extra features. Great value though if you're deciding between a 5.5 and a 6.

Old
03-04-2014, 09:26 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

Just bought a pair of CCM u+ 12 on sale for $250 baked and sharpened. They are by far the best skates to date. Even better than the first year the Reebok 9k pumps came out.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Quartz

Hi all,

I have a problem with my skates. Right heel lifts. I hope you can help me.
I have Vapor APX in size 6ee. But may be fit is not good. pencil test fail on both skates (from 3rd starting from the toe).
Also I have Totalone NXG 6EE size. Absolutely the same problem. Baking does not help.

Please help me with advice which skate I should try. Have only possibility to order a few pairs.

Kind regards,
Quartz

Last edited by Quartz: 03-04-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: addition of a new information
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 04:35 PM
AIREAYE

Is heel lift the only issue? Why do you think your heel is lifting? Is it due to negative space around the ankle?

I need more info than that man, come on...

Old
03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Quartz

Yes, I can feel that whole foot is more free than left one.
I have arch bones, they are different and may be its the reason. also with left foot I can brush the front, with right one not really.

Old
03-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Quartz

may be thats because of lack of volume. totalone also fails the test with pencil.
I have ordered RBZ with size 5.5D and nexus 6D. Reebok I dont like because of this pump.

Old
03-04-2014, 05:50 PM
AIREAYE

OK, well since you've already ordered the skates, I guess there isn't much else to say until you've tried them on.

Old
03-04-2014, 08:25 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Yes, I can feel that whole foot is more free than left one.
I have arch bones, they are different and may be its the reason. also with left foot I can brush the front, with right one not really.
That's actually quite common. Most people have one foot about 1/4 to 1/2 size bigger in terms of width, length or both. I just tie my right skate differently.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Quartz

I have precisely measured my feet. They look the same. No visible change in length or width. I can post some photos if it helps.
Im very upset with 2 pairs of skates (huge amount of money), none of them work for me.
I had Bauer Vapor X50 Sr. size 6EE. One season they were perfect, then right heel start to lift. I thought thats because of the crack on a boot. I got APX and after very short time heel starts to lift again.
And its really change the game. Im skating like cripple now.

Old
03-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Quartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
OK, well since you've already ordered the skates, I guess there isn't much else to say until you've tried them on.
No, please, Im open for your suggestions. What else could work for me? Graf? Easton? if yes what size it must be?

Old
03-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Quartz

some quick photos.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Quartz

some photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140305_123941.jpg‎ (19.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20140305_124109.jpg‎ (21.4 KB, 11 views)

Old
03-05-2014, 08:20 AM
AIREAYE

Like I said before, and there's a reason why I said it, you need to try them on first.

You could also order a pair of these: http://stable26.com/shop/hockey/ and use on for your foot with the heel lock issues. The pads in them take up negative space around your ankles and above your heel, and is supposed to help lock it in. I've tried them on, but since my skates fit me and I have no problem with heel lock, I could only feel the extra pads. I believe this product is more of a solution to a sub-par fit and in your case, poor heel lock.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Quartz

Thanks.
Of course I will try them first. Actually, may be you would say something about other skate models, sizes or something. Because somehow with totalone I feel much less stable despite really good heel-lock. They just behave strange for me.
I have tried different pads, but I cannot feel the edge and its very bad for me.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:46 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Thanks.
Of course I will try them first. Actually, may be you would say something about other skate models, sizes or something. Because somehow with totalone I feel much less stable despite really good heel-lock. They just behave strange for me.
I have tried different pads, but I cannot feel the edge and its very bad for me.
There's no point at this time until you try them and give better feedback...

I'm not here to fit you...