HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2014, 07:48 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Alex Peters: D, OHL, 6'3 207 lbs
"Peters is a defensive minded blue liner who makes smart decisions at both ends and possesses the ability to move the puck with a sharp outlet pass. He is a physical defenseman who finishes his checks, has an active stick and reads the defensive game well."

Michael Bunting LW, OHL, 5'11, 174 lbs
Starting to come around, been upgraded from a C level prospect to a B level prospect and if he continues his development, he could be a 2nd rounder by the draft.

Brendan Lemieux: LW, OHL, 6'0, 206
He's his father's son, all we need to really say about him.

Joshua Jacobs: D, USHL, 6'2, 192 lbs
"Jacobs is a smooth skating two-way defenseman. He can grab the puck and skate it up ice or dish a strong stretch pass to a streaking forward. Closes off lanes and is willing to play physical in his zone. Has some mental lapses and many times his game has been hot or cold this season"

Nicolas Aube-Kubel: RW, QMJHL, 5'11, 187 lbs
Hard-working forward, learning to shoot more and his shooting percentage is increasing this year compared to last. Great skater and thinks the game well defensively to create turn-overs and drive to the net.

Old
03-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Ehlers with 3 G 1 A for the 2nd game in a row. Somewhere around 32 scouts in attendance for the game as well. I think he'll be a top 5 pick by the draft.
He does have areas for improvement and is smallish, but top 10 is realistic. I have seen his progressioin this year. He does have defensive work to do. A littlke skating speed (that comes with strength) some muscle. Nothing another year of jr. And a year in the minors cant fix. He could be a very good 2nd liner.

Old
03-02-2014, 10:52 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
He looks to be this year's Petan.
I think he's got better hands but Petan elevated his play again this season so we'll see how he progresses.

Old
03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Nicolas Aube-Kubel: RW, QMJHL, 5'11, 187 lbs
Hard-working forward, learning to shoot more and his shooting percentage is increasing this year compared to last. Great skater and thinks the game well defensively to create turn-overs and drive to the net.
Alain Chainey gave his scouting report during the intermission on NAB. He gave him a 4 for skating, hands and hockey sense. Gave a 3 for physical and defensive play. Chainey envisions Kubel as a third line kinda guy but needs to add more weight and improve his defensive game. With the skill he has he could also provide secondary PP minutes.

edit: just noticed, Ehlers is +56 in 57 games. That's just absurd

Last edited by Mathletic: 03-03-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old
03-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Tinordi Ruxpin
Hey, C'mon Let's Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Ehlers with 3 G 1 A for the 2nd game in a row. Somewhere around 32 scouts in attendance for the game as well. I think he'll be a top 5 pick by the draft.
I saw him in Moncton on Sat night. He was terrific. Quite honestly, he looked alot better than Drouin, of course that was just 1 game. My favorite moment was on a penalty kill when he just played keep away from the Wildcats.

If this guy was 6'2 200+ he would be a Top 3 pick. His skill is outrageous.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
WeThreeKings

What are your guys' thoughts on

Clark Bishop and Julien Nantel?

They both bring some things to the table but there is a lack of consistency and productivity in their point production.

Also, does any one know the reason for the drop in Matthew Mistele's production this season?

Old
03-03-2014, 11:40 AM
That

Quote:
Also, does any one know the reason for the drop in Matthew Mistele's production this season?
The Whalers can't score to save their lives (172 in total, second worst in the OHL). They lost Trocheck, Meurs, Noesen, Rakell, Heard, and Wilson in the off-season (over 160 goals). Mistele, who played a blue-collar, straightforward game, attempted to play a finesse game. It failed miserably. Just recently he's gone back to his simple game, and he's starting to produce again with 19 points in his last 20 games. Still though, he's been invisible in almost all of my viewings, even recently. Lost the edge that he previously had and doesn't really play with an intensity. Leading an offence clearly isn't his game, more of a complementary piece.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:45 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
The Whalers can't score to save their lives (172 in total, second worst in the OHL). They lost Trocheck, Meurs, Noesen, Rakell, Heard, and Wilson in the off-season (over 160 goals). Mistele, who played a blue-collar, straightforward game, attempted to play a finesse game. It failed miserably. Just recently he's gone back to his simple game, and he's starting to produce again with 19 points in his last 20 games. Still though, he's been invisible in almost all of my viewings, even recently. Lost the edge that he previously had and doesn't really play with an intensity. Leading an offence clearly isn't his game, more of a complementary piece.
So he's looking more like a 4th-5th round candidate?

Old
03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
That

Quote:
So he's looking more like a 4th-5th round candidate?
I'd think that someone would take a chance on him earlier than that. He's proven he can be a good complementary piece and can provide a solid two-way game, even if he isn't contributing offensively. Adding in those with the fact that he possesses a good frame, skates well, and has good offensive tools, I'd peg him more around a 3rd (not that there's a huge difference) and I'd have no problem the Habs taking him there.

Old
03-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Tim Wallach

That,

I just recently got a few more looks at Chatham and totally agree. There is a kid who has come a long way this year. He has steadily improved to the point where he is a noticeable power forward. His upside remains to be seen, but I would have no problem taking a shot at him.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Mathletic

Ehlers with a hat-trick again tonight. Now at 46 goals, 94 points and +60 in 58 games. Huberdeau like rise for him this season.

Old
03-04-2014, 09:02 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Bergevin should seriously do whatever it takes to draft this kid, he looks NHL ready because of his skills alone.

Old
03-05-2014, 12:11 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmelinHipCheck View Post
Bergevin should seriously do whatever it takes to draft this kid, he looks NHL ready because of his skills alone.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's a huge step between the 'Q and the NHL. Talent alone doesn't make one ready for the NHL. The Grigorenko mess is an example of that.

One more thing about him. As time goes by, it is now pretty obvious that the maritime division (teams against who Ehlers plays/played the most) is a terrible division, and that only Halifax has a good team in that said division. You can't take away the huge amount of points Ehlers has produced, but one can question the quality of competition he has to face on most nights. Would he have as many points in another division? Probably not. Would he have as many points if he wasn't playing on the same team as Drouin? True that they don't currently play on the same line 5on5 and their PP is a disappointment for the talent they ice, but Drouin is certainly a factor.

Drouin gets the toughest matchup 5on5, and that gives more room for Ehlers to produce. It's great to see him use that advantage to produce at a terrific rate I can't say otherwise. But I think we need to look at the bigger picture. Guys like Audette and Barbashev don't play against the 2nd pairing of their opponents, and they don't play with Drouin(as talented as Tkachev is, he's not Drouin). I think both Audette and Barbashev would have improved offensive numbers with Halifax. It's debatable whether they could actually produce as much as the Danish.

It's also true that after the trade deadline, the maritime division got worse, especially in Charlottetown's case, but it still wasn't very good to begin with.

I like Ehlers and think he's a top talent in this draft, but I also think we have to take those facts(Drouin/division) into consideration when looking at his stats. The fact remains though that he's a dominant player this year in the 'Q, no matter who he faces.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 03-05-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old
03-05-2014, 02:40 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's a huge step between the 'Q and the NHL. Talent alone doesn't make one ready for the NHL. The Grigorenko mess is an example of that.

One more thing about him. As time goes by, it is now pretty obvious that the maritime division (teams against who Ehlers plays/played the most) is a terrible division, and that only Halifax has a good team in that said division. You can't take away the huge amount of points Ehlers has produced, but one can question the quality of competition he has to face on most nights. Would he have as many points in another division? Probably not. Would he have as many points if he wasn't playing on the same team as Drouin? True that they don't currently play on the same line 5on5 and their PP is a disappointment for the talent they ice, but Drouin is certainly a factor.

Drouin gets the toughest matchup 5on5, and that gives more room for Ehlers to produce. It's great to see him use that advantage to produce at a terrific rate I can't say otherwise. But I think we need to look at the bigger picture. Guys like Audette and Barbashev don't play against the 2nd pairing of their opponents, and they don't play with Drouin(as talented as Tkachev is, he's not Drouin). I think both Audette and Barbashev would have improved offensive numbers with Halifax. It's debatable whether they could actually produce as much as the Danish.

It's also true that after the trade deadline, the maritime division got worse, especially in Charlottetown's case, but it still wasn't very good to begin with.

I like Ehlers and think he's a top talent in this draft, but I also think we have to take those facts(Drouin/division) into consideration when looking at his stats. The fact remains though that he's a dominant player this year in the 'Q, no matter who he faces.
Well the fact that Ehlers outshines Drouin on most nights and does not play with him, but does get tough matchups should disprove that

Also, last year Drouin got most of his points against the bottom 6 teams, did that make him worse, no?

Ehlers is not ready for the NHL though.
And the Q is not the strongest league.

But he is a Rookie, and it is his first season on big ice, and he is a small player who plays bigger than he is.
He is league leading +60 and league leading in SH with 7.

It can be said he has played 18 games in the Swiss mens league at age 16 with no problems. and he was not a minus player.

My point is, there are always factors on both sides one needs to take into consideration.

This said, I still think Ehlers will just crack the top 10.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nh...s-for-halifax/

"Nikolaj Ehlers is a name to watch come draft day. Having amazing rookie season, not riding teammate J. Drouin's coattails either"

From DobberProspects - Twitter

And yes, I get to watch Ehlers a lot.

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 03-05-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old
03-05-2014, 04:54 AM
TiCats

Quote:
First player that came to mind for me was Gabriel Dumont.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:01 AM
Tinordi Ruxpin
Hey, C'mon Let's Go!

I would be surprised if Ehlers doesn't crack the Top 10. He can play top 6 minutes, PP, and PK. Its his work on the PK that really opened my eyes the other night. Very impressive rookie season, but yes, he is still a long ways away from the NHL.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
What are your guys' thoughts on

Clark Bishop and Julien Nantel?

They both bring some things to the table but there is a lack of consistency and productivity in their point production.

Bishop is a character player and good grinder, however at 5'11", not sure I'd waste any good picks on him, maybe 6th or 7th, that's about it.

Nantel does nothing for me, he was hyped early in the year and somebody actually had him in their top 3, which is comical, he's a solid QMJHL player but nothing more for me.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmelinHipCheck View Post
You mean like trade Galchenyuk to trade up and draft him?

Old
03-05-2014, 06:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Well the fact that Ehlers outshines Drouin on most nights and does not play with him, but does get tough matchups should disprove that

Also, last year Drouin got most of his points against the bottom 6 teams, did that make him worse, no?

Ehlers is not ready for the NHL though.
And the Q is not the strongest league.

But he is a Rookie, and it is his first season on big ice, and he is a small player who plays bigger than he is.
He is league leading +60 and league leading in SH with 7.

It can be said he has played 18 games in the Swiss mens league at age 16 with no problems. and he was not a minus player.

My point is, there are always factors on both sides one needs to take into consideration.

This said, I still think Ehlers will just crack the top 10.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nh...s-for-halifax/

"Nikolaj Ehlers is a name to watch come draft day. Having amazing rookie season, not riding teammate J. Drouin's coattails either"

From DobberProspects - Twitter

And yes, I get to watch Ehlers a lot.
I'm a big fan of Ehlers and think he belongs top 10, maybe top 5 though there is a definite top 5 this draft.

BUT you have to keep in mind that the maritime division in the Q this year is basically a solid Halifax team, and 5 Jr.A teams. When teams go play vs QMJHL West and central they get their butts kicked, the caliber is quite different. The top 6 teams in the Q are in the other 2 divisions. That helps the stats of a guy like Ehlers...still a very good prospect but need to be cautious...

Old
03-05-2014, 09:00 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'm a big fan of Ehlers and think he belongs top 10, maybe top 5 though there is a definite top 5 this draft.

BUT you have to keep in mind that the maritime division in the Q this year is basically a solid Halifax team, and 5 Jr.A teams. When teams go play vs QMJHL West and central they get their butts kicked, the caliber is quite different. The top 6 teams in the Q are in the other 2 divisions. That helps the stats of a guy like Ehlers...still a very good prospect but need to be cautious...
Ofc. If you read my post above, I am aware of that, but so do guys like Drouin
But you guys have to remember that this kid has been on the radar for some time for some of us.
We have seen him play against men, and on s**t teams and still be great.

And im not just talking stats Im not a big stats guy. I have seen him play on several accounts and like to go by that.

Anyways, not a problem Not here to change peoples opinions.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:35 PM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

That is just not true. Halifax has wins this year against BAC,Quebec,Rimouski, and Gatineau. No doubt the Quebec division is far better then the Maritime division but to say that Halifax isn't in the top 6 teams in the league is just absolutely ridiculous.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
That is just not true. Halifax has wins this year against BAC,Quebec,Rimouski, and Gatineau. No doubt the Quebec division is far better then the Maritime division but to say that Halifax isn't in the top 6 teams in the league is just absolutely ridiculous.
VD BAC BLB RIM and RN all better.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:50 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
Sherbrooke beat Halifax once too, that doesn't make Sherbrooke a better team than Halifax.

That being said Halifax belongs in the top6 easily.

Old
03-06-2014, 04:35 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Halifax are a top team in the Q, no doubt.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Halifax are a top team in the Q, no doubt.
Depends what you consider "top".

They are not top 4, not deep enough. Maybe 6th. They are in the same group as Victo Que and Drum. More a darkhorse than a top contender. This year there are 8-9 teams that could win.

Closed Thread