HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXI: As the bell gently tolls...

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2014, 12:59 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXI: As the bell gently tolls...

Whew
Made it to 31
13 hours left
35 (=35,000 posts) is the goal!
Continue.

Old
03-05-2014, 01:13 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I just hope we dont do anything stupid. That too much to ask? Yes. Yes it is.

Old
03-05-2014, 01:14 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Someone in the last thread said they don't think Cally will ever hit 50 points again, and I have to agree. Unless he ends up in Pittsburgh playing with Sid or banging in rebounds on a line with Stammer, I can't see it. And with that said (I hadn't asked myself "will Cally ever score 50 points again" until seeing someone else write it in the last thread) it makes it a lot easier for me to say goodbye to him at his asking price. Not that I was really having a hard time, since I didn't want to give it to him, but it's a bitter feeling, choosing between watching a homegrown crowd favorite whose jersey you've owned since before the A become a vilified, overpaid albatross or sending them packing. The notion of signing a guy to a six year deal with 6M+ per year, knowing full well that, especially on this roster, he's probably never going to even hit 50 points in one season on that contract puts it into perspective though and really reinforces why he shouldn't be re-signed. For me, at least, since I don't see him hitting 50.

Old
03-05-2014, 01:32 AM
NYR68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Whew
Made it to 31
13 hours left
35 (=35,000 posts) is the goal!
Continue.
I think if we end up resigning Callahan, we might hit 40.

Old
03-05-2014, 01:39 AM
OnlyRevolutions
Infinite Jest

I just hope Slats doesn't cave in and sign Cally. If it's true that we're keeping Ritchie, that's nearly 13 million per year tied up between them for an extended period of time. Yes, the cap is going up, but if Nash and Zuccs have displaced Cally as a top 6 wing, then that's a hell of a lot of money for a guy who's going to be on the third line. Yes, intangibles. Yes, he's the captain. Blah, blah. Fact is that he's overpaid, and he's going to be overpaid no matter what. His point totals aren't great, and he's been playing less time on the PK and PP. He'll be overpaid, and I don't want to be the one opening up that checkbook.

Alternatives? I don't know what the alternative is. I think we need to stop overpaying guys. I'd like to see Cally move on, and I'd like to see Richards bought out. That frees up a nice bit of cap space. We have numerous problems on our roster, and I honestly don't think they're solved by resigning Cally. I appreciate all that he's done for the Rangers, but I think it's time to part ways.

Old
03-05-2014, 01:54 AM
OnlyRevolutions
Infinite Jest

If the Stars are watching, what are they offering?

Obviously not Benn or Seguin, but I'd love to get a center back.

If we could somehow get Eakin, I'd be pretty damn happy. I'd gladly add some. He's playing on the second line and I don't think he's topped out yet. Can't see Dallas doing it.

Assuming Cally would be the piece, Peverley would have to move back to center, and Cally would play RW there, but I don't think I see Cally resigning in Dallas anyway.

It would open the door to moving Brassard or Stepan. Or, conversely, buy out Ritchie, keep them, and leave Miller on the wing.

Old
03-05-2014, 02:04 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Thought the price for Pancake Man ( on the official Pancake Day - no less) was very reasonAble. Had we had a contending team this year then that is one depth trade I definitely would make. Will be an intersting 12 hours coming up. Or it Will not be at all. Something tells me that when Vanek and Moulson ( a bit ironic is it not?) are moved the dominos will fall. Shark feeding frenzy like. Sather always has had a soft spot for Hemsky. Not what we need. If we could add Vatanen, MSL and Mark Stuart/Tallinder I would be happy (assuming the price is reasonable). Or even more young talent and picks. Let us also really hope that the player I spoke to the other day was wrong as he thought Cally would resign at slightly above 6M/6 and that Broadway Brad would not be bought out. As it looks like now that horrific scenario still seems disgustingly plausible . Time will tell.

Last edited by BBKers: 03-05-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old
03-05-2014, 02:09 AM
NashLife
what if doobie?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyRevolutions View Post
If the Stars are watching, what are they offering?

Obviously not Benn or Seguin, but I'd love to get a center back.

If we could somehow get Eakin, I'd be pretty damn happy. I'd gladly add some. He's playing on the second line and I don't think he's topped out yet. Can't see Dallas doing it.

Assuming Cally would be the piece, Peverley would have to move back to center, and Cally would play RW there, but I don't think I see Cally resigning in Dallas anyway.

It would open the door to moving Brassard or Stepan. Or, conversely, buy out Ritchie, keep them, and leave Miller on the wing.
As I remember Eakin from the caps, a great skater but not much in production, has he taken a step in Dallas otherwise I don't see the point in trading for him

Old
03-05-2014, 03:03 AM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
I just hope we dont do anything stupid. That too much to ask? Yes. Yes it is.
Well... looking back at earlier decisions.. i fully expect him to get signed *sigh*

Im just praying to the hockey gods that im wrong.

Old
03-05-2014, 03:21 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Should be titled game day thread at this point two games one day

Old
03-05-2014, 03:45 AM
OnlyRevolutions
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeit View Post
As I remember Eakin from the caps, a great skater but not much in production, has he taken a step in Dallas otherwise I don't see the point in trading for him
He looks to be doing better. 13/16=29 points as of now, and he's playing on the second line. At 22 (soon 23), I think he could still have some improvement in him. Might not be much of an upgrade over Stepan or Brassard currently, but if he's available for Cally, might not be a bad selection for C depth. Especially if we're considering buying out Richards, he's an option for 2nd line duties if nothing else.

Old
03-05-2014, 03:59 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
Someone in the last thread said they don't think Cally will ever hit 50 points again, and I have to agree. Unless he ends up in Pittsburgh playing with Sid or banging in rebounds on a line with Stammer, I can't see it. And with that said (I hadn't asked myself "will Cally ever score 50 points again" until seeing someone else write it in the last thread) it makes it a lot easier for me to say goodbye to him at his asking price. Not that I was really having a hard time, since I didn't want to give it to him, but it's a bitter feeling, choosing between watching a homegrown crowd favorite whose jersey you've owned since before the A become a vilified, overpaid albatross or sending them packing. The notion of signing a guy to a six year deal with 6M+ per year, knowing full well that, especially on this roster, he's probably never going to even hit 50 points in one season on that contract puts it into perspective though and really reinforces why he shouldn't be re-signed. For me, at least, since I don't see him hitting 50.
Cally is as good player now as he ever has been, probably the best player now that he ever has been.

We play a diffrent style, and Cally has found himself behind Nash and Zucc. Who scores 50 on a 3rd line?

Old
03-05-2014, 04:11 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Cally is as good player now as he ever has been, probably the best player now that he ever has been.

We play a diffrent style, and Cally has found himself behind Nash and Zucc. Who scores 50 on a 3rd line?
Really? I see a Callahan who is as quick and ferocious on the forecheck, who isn't tenaciously chasing down pucks and hitting defenders. I also see a Cally who too often has been out of position when getting back on defence. He isn't alone in a lot of these things but I find it surprising anyone thinks he looks better than he ever has before.

Old
03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Really? I see a Callahan who is as quick and ferocious on the forecheck, who isn't tenaciously chasing down pucks and hitting defenders. I also see a Cally who too often has been out of position when getting back on defence. He isn't alone in a lot of these things but I find it surprising anyone thinks he looks better than he ever has before.
He's also going to be under the microscope w everyone complaining about his salary. It's annoying really cause as you said many players are like this but the ones making peanuts won't get crapped on as much

Old
03-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Ola

Rumors. I want RUMORS!!!!

Old
03-05-2014, 06:00 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

CM Lundqvist posted this late last night in the last trade thread:

Don't know if you guys saw this...

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 25m
Marty St Louis, a minus-3 tonight, was requested by the media but did not make himself available, cleared the room before we were let in

I can't see how he stays in Tampa doing that. Yzerman has to crack on his demands and Sather has to strike or offer something somewhat worthwhile.

He's clearly unhappy there and doesn't want to answer to the media.

I say he's a Ranger by 3pm tomorrow.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Levitate

Tampa could still trade him in the offseason. The Jackets did that with Nash despite him asking for a trade and Tampa has even less reason to trade St Louis now since they're trying to put together a deep playoff run

Old
03-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Seven C0stanza

If Callahan is extended and Hemsky becomes a ranger I'm gonna cry.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Wild let teams know that Heatley was availale. you know how Sather likes to go get players he was once interested in i can see this now Heatley to Rangers for 2ed round pick

Old
03-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Sticky Fingers
Hayes dangle

When was the last time Sather over payed for a contract extension? Boyle by a couple of hundred, but whatever. I think Callahan will be traded for MSL, just makes too much sense.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:49 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Callahan, Stralman, draft pick/prospect for MSL

Then a second trade for a replacement 6th defenseman. Maybe a 3rd trade for more scoring help

Old
03-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Post saying inquiries on Boyle . Sell for a pick then buy with another for a guy under contract ?

Old
03-05-2014, 06:50 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Just chatted with Martin Brodeur. He's ok with whatever Lou Lamoriello decides today. But ready for a new challenge if that comes...

@AGrossRecord: Morning welcome to an anything can happen day for Rangers/Callahan, who also host Leafs in vital game. Today's Record http://t.co/wyr0XEB7Gn

Old
03-05-2014, 06:52 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Post saying inquiries on Boyle . Sell for a pick then buy with another for a guy under contract ?
Like who? Boyle provides a lot for this team.

Old
03-05-2014, 06:54 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Just chatted with Martin Brodeur. He's ok with whatever Lou Lamoriello decides today. But ready for a new challenge if that comes...
At .899, he's not starting anywhere more than he is right now with the Devils. He's a baby.

Closed Thread