HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Providence @ Hartford 7:00PM FSNE

Old
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I have a theory. I wonder if next year, we don't see anyone come up from Hartford, and we see the influx of kids from juniors - the likes of Staal, Sauer, Dupont, Pyatt and Anisimov are added to Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Callahan, Byers and Baranka - who will get time with this crop so further chemistry builds. The basic core plays another year together, Jagr and his crew finish up one more year, and the wave of kids starts in summer 2008. If that happens, there's going to be another year of teeth-gnashing on HF.
I certainly could see that. Bond & build chemistry together. Then near after the trade deadline when we got rid of some more deadwood bring them up for the last 15-20 games.

Looking at this game I expected to see Liffiton running around getting caught on of position and some who have seen him on regular basis claim. I haven't seen that. He's looked much like I saw him last year with Charlotte. Potter playing a good game as is Baranka. Baranka sees the ice very well. Up front every forward plays the body and has decent sets of wheels.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

3-2 now. One of the defensmena made a horrible pass that was picked off and the Bruins players came in 1 on 1 with Degon and he shot it between Degons legs to the far post. Montoya got a piece of it but not enough.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:38 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
3-2 now. One of the defensmena made a horrible pass that was picked off and the Bruins players came in 1 on 1 with Degon and he shot it between Degons legs to the far post. Montoya got a piece of it but not enough.
I thought it went off of Degon's stick as well.

Old
02-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think Degon deflected it too.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hope you dont mind Jas, i quoted you over on my blog, and responded to it with this:
Quote:
I think that is actually a pretty good way of doing things, but I dont see the Rangers just all of a sudden dumping players and bringing in 5 rookies or something like that. I still think its going to be a phasing in process. I expect to see Callahan and Staal with the big club next year, and I think youll see more kids being put in year after year.

The problem is, which i think Jas is alluding to, that the current crop of Rangers dont play hockey this way, and perhaps some of the big clubs bad habits may start effecting these kids. Strange to say, but its true.
-Inferno

Old
02-17-2007, 07:45 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

If Prucha gets traded it is because the NYRs think they have his replacement in Callahan. He's played a good game, is a pest on the forecheck and is a good stickhandler in traffic.

Korps is maturing. You can start to see him developing some offense. His offense will be off his strength and stickhandling ability. The question will be if he will develop a scorers touch. He certainly sees the game well enough to move up to the next level.

Potter is playing a helluva a game. Same game as in college, but he's improved his strength on his skates and his lateral movement which I thought were issues for him a few years ago.

Dubi is huge. He has such a wide skating stride, very powerful strides. After watching him tonight I think it best he gets plenty of ice time in the AHL and continue his development. No need to rush him. He's still 20(?), same with Korps.

Immonen is scratched? Either not good for him or he is included in a trade.

Old
02-17-2007, 07:47 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hope you dont mind Jas, i quoted you over on my blog, and responded to it with this:
Good point by JAS and maybe that is the line of thinking, keeping these kids together next year with the additions of Staal, Sauer, Dupont, Pyatt, etc. let them build a bond together and play as a team for a year and then bring them on to the big club.

Old
02-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I thought immonen was hurt? i could be wrong but i thought i read something about a hip issue?

Old
02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
No problem...remember I quantified with being a THEORY, otherwise known as a glorified opinion.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Fletch

Baranka...

moves the puck very well on the PP, and is good at keeping the puck in...further, he's not afraid to shoot (finally got the game to come up in the second).

jas - that sounds interesting, but, if a guy like Dubi is ready, and Shanny's back, I'd like to see him begin to take his lumps, potentially with a guy like Shanny on his right.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Good point by JAS and maybe that is the line of thinking, keeping these kids together next year with the additions of Staal, Sauer, Dupont, Pyatt, etc. let them build a bond together and play as a team for a year and then bring them on to the big club.
Here's the problem for Ranger management. The don't have the credibility with Ranger fans who would actually buy such an approach. Too many cynical Ranger fans, as you see on this site alone (which is rather tame compared to many other sites, mind you), simply do not trust this management with such a forward-thinking approach. I'm sure many Ranger fans are resigned to see players like Dubinsky and Korpikoski who might very benefit from another year in Hartford remain there. And, the response will be either that a) the Rangers don't play kids, or b) the Rangers' prospects suck. That's the bed this management has made for themselves.

Old
02-17-2007, 08:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
moves the puck very well on the PP, and is good at keeping the puck in...further, he's not afraid to shoot (finally got the game to come up in the second).

jas - that sounds interesting, but, if a guy like Dubi is ready, and Shanny's back, I'd like to see him begin to take his lumps, potentially with a guy like Shanny on his right.
Fletch, I haven't seen Dubi, but it sounds like the kid's getting his physical game together, but, while the production's improved, I'm not it's where it should be to warrant a callup.

Old
02-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Fletch

Right now, I agree, jas...

but I'm talking next season...in my opinion, he's made a heck of a lot of progress since preseason, and since his play in Oct/Nov where he looked absolutely lost. Continued progress and an impressive playoffs could warrant a spot on the team next season. But I use him only as an example. If they're ready, I'd like to see them come up - hopefully the new corp of kids will have plenty of time to play together over the next 10 seasons.

Old
02-17-2007, 08:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
but I'm talking next season...in my opinion, he's made a heck of a lot of progress since preseason, and since his play in Oct/Nov where he looked absolutely lost. Continued progress and an impressive playoffs could warrant a spot on the team next season. But I use him only as an example. If they're ready, I'd like to see them come up - hopefully the new corp of kids will have plenty of time to play together over the next 10 seasons.
I would, too, Fletch. Again, I only put forth a theory, simply because, I wonder why there appears to be such a disconnect between the NHL club, and the players it's drafted since 2004. I keep hearing players like Byers, Dubinsky and their ilk have no problem getting their teammates back. Meanwhile, we witness what we saw today, and the players who provide a repsonse, such as Avery, Jed and Hollweg have their hearts in the right place, but, the Flyers had no problem running Jagr. I expect the likes of Staal, Sauer and Baranka to be physically tough on D, and I expect guys like Dubinsky, Dupont and Byers to hit hard. Is it just the coach that prevents this team from repsonding appropriately physically?

Old
02-17-2007, 08:30 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Pack win 3-2.

Montoya stopped 31 of 33 shots.

Old
02-17-2007, 08:32 PM
dank

btw, game over..

Pack win 3-2..

(i just wrote that because i was refreshing this page, lookng for updates. i then went to theahl.com site and figured it out myself, haha)

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1002947

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Fletch

Maybe the disconnect...

is not draft the right players for the style of hockey Sather/Renney want to play. It's just the type of player. We do see it with the 'Pack - thought even Baranka was going to drop them today - perhaps that's the new crop of players. Can't really explain it. I do notice the same, especially on defense, where it seems as though only Ward would stick up for anyone, or at least get involved.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yep, there is a vast difference between the types of players on the Rangers, and on the Pack. the pack have lots of character, all around players with hard work ethic. the rangers seem to have an amalgamation of all types of styles pieces together like a puzzle.

btw, i LOVE korpedo, i think hes going to be a star in the big league. he'll need a year, maybe 2 in the AHL to develop his offense (id rather him do it down there than on the fly like Hossa had to do) but when he gets it together, hes going to be a beast.

Old
02-17-2007, 10:16 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

A few post game thoughts:

- Potter looked VERY good. Was very impressed throughout the entire game of his play. I know its just one viewing of him in the AHL but if he plays like that on a regular basis (or close to it) then he should easily have a permanent spot on the HFD roster.

- Baranka looked good, like always he loves to use his body and throw nice hits. Like others have said in this post he moves the puck very well, especially on the PP.

- Korpi, again I am just LOVING what i see from this kid. He just oozes with so much potential. He had a bunch of nice rushes with the puck. Easily the best stickhandler on the Pack and maybe even the best skater. Another year in the AHL will do him wonders. Has a very strong stride.

- Dubi, kind of had an average game but was still solid. He had one real nice play when he took the puck from behind the offensive net, worked his way along the boards protecting the puck, made it out to the top of the circle, then went toward the center of the ice and let loose a nice backhander that just missed. He like Korpi has A LOT of potential that you can see. Loves to throw hits as well, as he did this game. Like Korpi he has a very strong stride as well.

- Montoya, looked very sharp all game. I could never tell if he was screened or not on the first goal but besides for that he was stellar. He moves so well side to side better then anyone and his reflexes are lighting fast.

- Callahan, also had an off game, wasn't as involved as he has been in previous games i've watched. But he didn't have a bad game either. Just nothing great.

- Dawes, had a decent game. Made some nice passes on both of Isbisters goals.

Old
02-18-2007, 07:49 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
A few post game thoughts:

- Potter looked VERY good. Was very impressed throughout the entire game of his play. I know its just one viewing of him in the AHL but if he plays like that on a regular basis (or close to it) then he should easily have a permanent spot on the HFD roster.

- Baranka looked good, like always he loves to use his body and throw nice hits. Like others have said in this post he moves the puck very well, especially on the PP.

- Korpi, again I am just LOVING what i see from this kid. He just oozes with so much potential. He had a bunch of nice rushes with the puck. Easily the best stickhandler on the Pack and maybe even the best skater. Another year in the AHL will do him wonders. Has a very strong stride.

- Dubi, kind of had an average game but was still solid. He had one real nice play when he took the puck from behind the offensive net, worked his way along the boards protecting the puck, made it out to the top of the circle, then went toward the center of the ice and let loose a nice backhander that just missed. He like Korpi has A LOT of potential that you can see. Loves to throw hits as well, as he did this game. Like Korpi he has a very strong stride as well.

- Montoya, looked very sharp all game. I could never tell if he was screened or not on the first goal but besides for that he was stellar. He moves so well side to side better then anyone and his reflexes are lighting fast.

- Callahan, also had an off game, wasn't as involved as he has been in previous games i've watched. But he didn't have a bad game either. Just nothing great.

- Dawes, had a decent game. Made some nice passes on both of Isbisters goals.
Potter and Liffiton I thought were very solid. Potter doesn't come across as a physical dman. But if you just watch him and not follow the puck you will see that he stakes out his turf and anyone who comes into his area will pay. He doesn't look beefy, but he is solid. He tries to gain body position and cut off the opposing player and have them run out of territory. I thought he had issues in college with his lateral foot movement but that is gone. He also was prone to get knocked off his feet and that is gone too. Very similar player in my opinion as Girdardi, but more willing to stick his nose in.

Old
02-18-2007, 08:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Immonen has missed the last three HFD games

Quote:
Ditto for Jarkko Immonen, who has one goal in 13 games since returning from the Rangers. He will miss tonight's game against Lowell with an undisclosed injury
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...adlines-hockey

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Baranka looked good, like always he loves to use his body and throw nice hits. Like others have said in this post he moves the puck very well, especially on the PP
You didn't receive the memo about Baranka sucking ass

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Fletch

The only thing about Baranka....

is that he's not the 'safe' pick for a defenseman. There will be growing pains. He sill be out of position. He will go for that hit often, and he will need to be coached a bit and learn. Girardi, Lampman and others play a different style and are much more safe. I'm willing to sit through growing pains, however, but management isn't.

Old
02-18-2007, 12:15 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
is that he's not the 'safe' pick for a defenseman. There will be growing pains. He sill be out of position. He will go for that hit often, and he will need to be coached a bit and learn. Girardi, Lampman and others play a different style and are much more safe. I'm willing to sit through growing pains, however, but management isn't.
Your point is well taken about management. For the first time the organization has a prequiste, that players know how to play their position. They are sticking to a plan of accountability. The player has the responsibility to learn how to play within the system and the minor league coaching staff is also held accountable to make sure that they send players who are ready.

Now the flip side is how Renney treats players, Lundqvist, Hollweg, Hossa vs Prucha, Dawes, Immonen & Pock. He obviously has his standards and reacts differently based on his perception of how well equipped those players are to play in the NHL.

Old
02-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Fletch

Not sure if it's standards...

he just doesn't want to lose a game because of a youngster. He prefers guys who play a safe, defensive hockey style in hopes that the top guys will win the game. Prucha loses out when he doesn't score because he really doesn't qualify as being one to play that brand. Immonen didn't make a difference either way, but that just ended weird. Dawes only scored one goal, etc. He's here to win first, and I believe things will take care of itself if they are winning.