HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Minnesota Wild @ Nashville Predators2-17-07

Old
02-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Whenever we get any attention what so ever we blow it.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:24 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
we've been "blowing it" since the all star break, really.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Forsberg is trying too difficult passes. He needs to shoot more and stop taking the puck always behind the goal.
1) His career has been made by making passes that are too difficult for the average player to handle or even know when to expect. He almost never keeps things simple because his skill is so above average, it would be a waste. Hopefully his new teammates learn his tendencies.

2) Get used to the fact that he doesn't shoot enough. He's not one of the greatest passers in the history of the game because he's selfish.

I'm not trying to be rude, just that such is life with Peter Forsberg. There's always a chance that what he does just won't work in Nashville, but I'd give it some time before making that call.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:27 PM
hdw

Quote:
Ah, Nashville is NHL's version of Finland?

Perfecting the art of playing a perfect tournament but still lose the final

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

dajflkdajf, WHY WAS FIDDLER OUT AS THE EXTRA ATTACKER?!

Old
Crazyhorse

Man, i think the Wilds really where quite intimidating this game. Gaborik and Demitra really are scary. There forecheck was quite astonishing.

I think Forsberg is misused aswell. He is a puckcarrier, and is supposed to set up guys, not take shots. Kariya and Erat where looking to find open feeds to Forsberg, and it hasn't payed off at all.

To bad he didn't get that goal in the first, but it will only get better from here.

When Timonen gets back, the powerplay will most surely bounce up some steps. You could see that he provides vision and creativity, although he had some turnovers. He will get better, IMO.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:28 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
1) His career has been made by making passes that are too difficult for the average player to handle or even know when to expect. He almost never keeps things simple because his skill is so above average, it would be a waste. Hopefully his new teammates learn his tendencies.

2) Get used to the fact that he doesn't shoot enough. He's not one of the greatest passers in the history of the game because he's selfish.

I'm not trying to be rude, just that such is life with Peter Forsberg. There's always a chance that what he does just won't work in Nashville, but I'd give it some time before making that call.
Mr Scarface isn't a Preds fan...

Old
02-17-2007, 09:29 PM
PhillyFlyers1796

Quote:
Forsberg is trying too difficult passes. He needs to shoot more and stop taking the puck always behind the goal.
lol....it sounds like hes feeling this game out, and is a little nervous. Hes never switched teams like this before, its a new experience for him. Trust me, when he gets comfortable and on his game, carrying the puck around, getting the D to come towards him, and making rediculous passes is what he does best...

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:29 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

to make matters worse, detroit is up near the end of the second period.

Fourth place, here we come.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Jarnberg

Its going to take a few games for Forsberg to get adjusted and for our team to get adjusted to him.

Regardless our offense has been nonexistant for a while now. We'll see how Trotz's system hurts Forsberg.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:32 PM
runkle

Quote:
He is a set up man. It is his primary role - to pass. He will shoot if/when it is the best option.

Taking the puck behind the goal is not the problem - he needs to have people moving into the slot while he buys time waiting back there and then he can send a pass out to the front which they can bury.

He was off tonight, no doubt because he was nervous and hasn't had any time to get acclimated to his teammates. They will all be fine.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Mr Scarface*

Im not a Predators fan. But i am the fan, like De Niro. Lemaire won, pure genious, he decided this game, before it even started.

And i ment, that Foppa was trying to pass through people, i am not an idiot, i have seen well over 100 games from Forsberg, in NHL, and in international games.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

If Preds fans had to label one of their players as a triggerman, and nothing else, which player comes closest to that description?

Old
02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
runkle

Quote:
Im not a Predators fan. But i am the fan, like De Niro. Lemaire won, pure genious, he decided this game, before it even started.
Okay then. Thanks for that.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
If Preds fans had to label one of their players as a triggerman, and nothing else, which player comes closest to that description?
Sullivan, Hartnell and Arnott really. Everyone else tries to set people up.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:37 PM
larsmark

Quote:
Hah, yeah change the way he has been playing his entire career. You got Forsberg now accept they way he plays.

I'd like to see Forsberg with a big hardworking right handed shooter (Arnott?).

larsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:40 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Its going to take a few games for Forsberg to get adjusted and for our team to get adjusted to him.
Hopefully it doesn't take Trotz that long to figure out how to use him. I was actually able to catch some of this game. I just don't understand why he used him the way he did.

I surely hope he didn't keep him away from Hartnell and Radulov because he didn't want them to be awestruck. Sometimes coaches think a bit too much. And one thing I've learned about all the coaches that I've met over the years, thinking is not usually one of their strongest points.

Trotz is a great guy. But maybe he needs to use his logic and not overthink the situation. It happens to the best, but it is avoidable. Hopefully he doesn't second guess his common sense going forward.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark View Post
Hah, yeah change the way he has been playing his entire career. You got Forsberg now accept they way he plays.
Like i sayd a minute ago, he doesn´t have to pass through people. (Pucks dont go through skates or sticks, that is the law of the fysics, remember that). I have seen well over 100 games from Forsberg, bad game by him tonight.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Jarnberg

When was the last game where we trailed and came back to win?

Old
02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Sullivan, Hartnell and Arnott really. Everyone else tries to set people up.
I'd put Sullivan or Arnott on Forsberg's left side (they both shoot right, correct?) and let them develop chemistry. Peter needs a player that can pull the trigger at any time to play with him, or his passes really just go to waste.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:48 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

The whole "bomb homerun passes up the middle" thing worked great last year, as did the whole "keep your distance, wait for a mistake or bobbled pass, try to break up the ice odd-manned." Sometimes it's worked this year, too. The problem is...when it DOESN'T work, we simply have no plan B. We've gone full back into "pretty pass, pretty pass, pretty pass" mode, and what do we do when we acquire THE prettiest passer? put him with two more pretty passers, and let them pass, pass all day long.

And if we happen to fall behind? Forget it. Teams tighten up with the lead, and the mistakes we live on become all but non-existant.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Mr Scarface*

There´s only one problem in that Arnott - Forsberg duo: They both are centers (FACEOFFS). Arnott is a great faceoff-guy, especially on those important situations. Forsberg would have to at least start on wing, when that puck drops down to the ice. On powerplays i would put them together. But 5-5, that´s another question. Forsberg ain´t that bad on the faceoffs ether, there goes some talent wasted, if Arnott and Forsberg play on the same line, both cant take those faceoffs.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:51 PM
runkle

Some of the most recent players/combos Forsberg has had most success with in the past:

Forsberg centering Hejduk/Tanguay

Forsberg centering Gagne/Knuble

In the case of Hejduk and Tanguay - that line was so good because all 3 could play without the puck, all 3 could pass, all 3 could finish - but Hejduk was the primary triggerman with those killer hands of his - Tanguay is a good passer himself and would work along the boards supporting Forsberg. The key to them was that they were always moving and had great chemistry together, pretty unstoppable in the clutch and grab era.

In the case of Gagne and Knuble - Gagne is the triggerman - very speedy, better north/south but not bad with the east/west game - he's gotten a lot better at it as he and Forsberg got used to one another. Knuble is good along the boards and is very underrated with his passing too - but he was willing to stand in front of the net and could set up there waiting for Forsberg to feed pucks in.

I don't know if that helps you guys any if you are trying to think who might be well suited to playing with him on your team. I am sure some of the other Forsberg fans here can add to that list.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:54 PM
runkle

Another line he had success with was centering Kamensky/Lemieux.

The theme seems to be one trigger man and one guy willing to help support on the walls. All of them need to have pretty good hockey sense and the ability to play away from the puck because he is going to be the one who has possession of it most of the time. The players that he does well with understand how to get to open spaces and be ready.

Old
02-17-2007, 09:59 PM
MSL26
Future Hall-of-Famer

Who did Forsberg play with tonight?

MSL26 is offline   Reply With Quote