HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Old
03-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
Okay what's all this talk I'm hearing in other threads about Klefbom being injured again?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He picked up a minor injury at practice this morning

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He picked up a minor injury at practice this morning
Did he eat food that fell on the ground?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
No. They're clearly the 3rd pairing and they're a big liability when they are out there. Klefbom's positioning/decision making is pretty bad and Musil has a tough time with the speed of the game at this level. Usual pairings are Hunt/Davidson, Fedun/Gernat, and Musil/Klefbom. When there's a key defensive moment Hunt/Fedun get paired up.

Also the 3 games this weekend were ridiculously entertaining. 16-13 total score, all 3 wins, 3 one-goal games (obviously). I went on Friday and Sunday, yesterday's game was just ridiculous. Barons score 3 early, then give up 5 unanswered (and were badly outplayed, were obviously totally out of gas after playing 3 in 3, playing a fresh team). Then Davidson scores 2 late, puts them up 1 with 35 seconds left. It was both horrifying and amazing. And unlikely.

Davidson's really stepped up lately; he looks bigger, he's hitting more and he's finally shooting more regularly. Bunz's line didn't look great yesterday but he was pretty awesome. Lander/Ford/Horak are playing extremely well together.
I'd like to see a little of Gernat and Fedun as the season winds down. It should be a major concern that Musil's foot speed isn't up to par. The NHL is twice as quick. In the few games I've seen Klefbom looks hesitant one moment and over commits on other occasions. That's understandable for a lot of young guys. Especially European players. I'm old school when it comes to confidence though. I want guys who leave it on the ice every shift and let it fall where it may. I see that in both Gernat and Fedun. Not so sure Klefbom has it guys. My humble opinion of course.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 06:02 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I'd like to see a little of Gernat and Fedun as the season winds down. It should be a major concern that Musil's foot speed isn't up to par. The NHL is twice as quick. In the few games I've seen Klefbom looks hesitant one moment and over commits on other occasions. That's understandable for a lot of young guys. Especially European players. I'm old school when it comes to confidence though. I want guys who leave it on the ice every shift and let it fall where it may. I see that in both Gernat and Fedun. Not so sure Klefbom has it guys. My humble opinion of course.
Most people who watch the Barons (Willis and those guys) haven't really been that down on Musils skating, but say his an extremely smart and well positioned D who makes up for his skating issues with that

Quote:
There’s been a lot of doom and gloom around Musil’s status as a prospect, but his game has translated beautifully to the professional ranks. He generally alternates with (and occasionally plays beside) Martin Gernat on Oklahoma’s third pairing and seems comfortable playing on his off-side.
Quote:
Musil has adjusted far better to the professional game as a defensive defenceman than I would have expected given the doom and gloom reports out of junior
Todd Nelson

Quote:
David Musil, I think that everybody knows he has to work on his foot speed. He knows that. Some of his biggest strengths are that he is just really strong in the corners. I think that he is our heaviest defenseman. Him and Oscar, they play together, they are both heavy defensemen that play well in the corners. They do a great job on the PK. So David is progressing nicely.
I think people around here have written him off because of his skating. But it hasn't sunk him in his first pro season. So hopefully he can keep improving on his skating. If he can become even an average skater he will be a bottom pairing D with top 4 upside (depending how improved his skating is)

Based on reports he could probably be an NHL shutdown D today if he was skating was NHL level

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Panda Bear

Musil needs to work on his first few steps as he's not explosive enough from starts, and his top speed is only adequate right now. I have no problems with his skating technique when I watch him. Some people just aren't fast-twitch muscle people, you know? He'd probably be one of the slowest on the team for a 100m sprint on track.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 07:31 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Based on reports he could probably be an NHL shutdown D today if he was skating was NHL level
I don't think so. He still makes a lot of mistakes with and without the puck and his puck movement...needs work too.

He's certainly competent in his own end but he's got a long way to go on the transition game both forward and backward, plus he's just really...slow. He does play a smart positional game and he's physical but watching him try and take on a guy like Trocheck is just...scary. None of that is to say he couldn't develop into a useful player at the NHL level but right now he's like a post-concussion Alex Plante.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:15 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Ya, probably. He thinks the game very well, and is built like a tank (there's no way he's only 203)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Musil needs to work on his first few steps as he's not explosive enough from starts, and his top speed is only adequate right now. I have no problems with his skating technique when I watch him. Some people just aren't fast-twitch muscle people, you know? He'd probably be one of the slowest on the team for a 100m sprint on track.
That was my exact view on him when he was with the Giants. I really hope he can improve his first step, but his skating in general isn't a weakness

03-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Most people who watch the Barons (Willis and those guys) haven't really been that down on Musils skating, but say his an extremely smart and well positioned D who makes up for his skating issues with that

Todd Nelson

I think people around here have written him off because of his skating. But it hasn't sunk him in his first pro season. So hopefully he can keep improving on his skating. If he can become even an average skater he will be a bottom pairing D with top 4 upside (depending how improved his skating is)

The problem with Musil and his lack of explosion is he's skilled enough and bright enough to compensate at the AHL level. I worry if that will translate. Majority of guys can't.

Out of all of them, Gernat looks to me like the closest to being ready. He's making the right decisions and he has a good flow out there. Especially from his circles down. Much like Marincin truthfully. The game tonight just shows how lacking they are up front too. Arcobello is by far the best forward.

One guy in impressed with every time I watch is Davidson btw. He's played very well again tonight. Guy competes at a high level and he's making the right plays.

If I HAD TO call two D up tomorrow, those are the two I'd call up. Davidson I want to see how he adjusts to NHL forwards. I'm honestly not worried about Gernat at all. I think he's going to be one of those guys who just gets it at the NHL level. Nothing special but well rounded 4-6 guy.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The problem with Musil and his lack of explosion is he's skilled enough and bright enough to compensate at the AHL level. I worry if that will translate. Majority of guys can't.

Out of all of them, Gernat looks to me like the closest to being ready. He's making the right decisions and he has a good flow out there. Especially from his circles down. Much like Marincin truthfully. The game tonight just shows how lacking they are up front too. Arcobello is by far the best forward.

One guy in impressed with every time I watch is Davidson btw. He's played very well again tonight. Guy competes at a high level and he's making the right plays.

If I HAD TO call two D up tomorrow, those are the two I'd call up. Davidson I want to see how he adjusts to NHL forwards. I'm honestly not worried about Gernat at all. I think he's going to be one of those guys who just gets it at the NHL level. Nothing special but well rounded 4-6 guy.
Davidson is a very intriguing prospect. He came out of nowhere in OKC last year and was outstanding in the AHL in the last stretch and into the playoffs. He was also extremely good in the young starts tourney (on tourney all star team I think), and played good in his 1 NHl exhibition, but bad in the other. It seemed like the wheels fell off to start this AHL season, but hes picked it up recently.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:37 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Man. Arcobello is just tearing it up down in the AHL

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Davidson is a very intriguing prospect. He came out of nowhere in OKC last year and was outstanding in the AHL in the last stretch and into the playoffs. He was also extremely good in the young starts tourney (on tourney all star team I think), and played good in his 1 NHl exhibition, but bad in the other. It seemed like the wheels fell off to start this AHL season, but hes picked it up recently.
He really does do a lot right. Kids been through some adversity for sure.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Barons can't buy a shootout win this year. 1-7 in the shootout.

Old
03-06-2014, 01:24 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Man. Arcobello is just tearing it up down in the AHL
The Oilers only have 10 goals in the last 7 games, I can't imagine Arcobello isn't the first callup up front. He's too good for the AHL.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 07:49 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
The Oilers only have 10 goals in the last 7 games, I can't imagine Arcobello isn't the first callup up front. He's too good for the AHL.
Arco has 7 goals and what 13 assists in the last 10?

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 08:12 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Arco has 7 goals and what 13 assists in the last 10?
Feb 2-7: 3 GP 3 G 4 A.

Feb 21-X: 7 GP 4 G 9 A.

Has scored points in every game played.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 09:26 AM
OILSLICK94

Going to go see Darnell Nurse a second time here, as the Greyhounds visit the London Knights tonight. Was pretty impressed with him the first time thru, just needs to add some WEIGHT.

Hope the Greyhounds have a long playoff run too, getting him some experience.

EDIT Sorry wrong thread

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:03 PM
dem

Arco with another 2 goals (so far) tonight...

Against Dubnyk

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
dnicks17

He looked like Stamkos with the one-timer from the left dot on one of them.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:32 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Arco with another 2 goals (so far) tonight...

Against Dubnyk
Just looking at the stats sheet, it doesn't look like Dubs is doing that bad. 28 saves on 30 shots after two?

As glad as I am that he's gone and Scrivens is here, I can't help feeling bad for the guy. I was talking with a Canuck fan and we were arguing about whose game fell apart worse this season: Dubnyk, D Sedin, or Burrows. Tough call.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, Arco's 22 points in 11 games is insane. No way he doesn't get an NHL contract from someone next season, no?

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:38 PM
dnicks17

You can tell Arco wants back up.

He's been absolutely dominant every shift.

He could easily have two assists right now too.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:10 PM
dnicks17

The Barons win 2-1.

Arcobello was dominant.

Pitlick looked good. Laid out a few guys.

Really liked the D's swagger. I think lthey were getting annoyed with Andrighetto dipsy-doodling, so Musil ragdolled him a couple times along the boards, Gernat caught him with a solid hip check and Davidson stepped up and laid him out too. Musil gave him a real good shot in the back of the knee after he got up one time too.

Fedun also got annoyed with some little elbows in a board battle and ended up suckering a Bulldog and dropped him haha.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:20 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Seems the Barons are playing like a team down there. Nelson is making the most of a relatively young D core.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Arcobello with OKC record points in consecutive games as well. Quit dicking around MacT and call him back up!

Old
03-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Arcobello with OKC record points in consecutive games as well. Quit dicking around MacT and call him back up!
I don't think Arco should of been sent down in the first place, but I'd like to see our AHL team make the playoffs. We have a lot of young D down there who could benefit from the experience and while I don't want to punish or alienate Arco, keeping him down there could likely be the difference between clinching a spot in the AHL playoffs or failing to do so. If I was MacT I might ask him to hold the fort down there and get us into a playoff spot, we will likely need to call-up atleast one of Lander, Pitlick, or Horak for depth purposes; then I'd promise Arcobello a one-way one year contract coming into next year, he's shown enough where he probably deserves it.

W's on the big squad should be the primary focus of any NHL general manager, but it might be one of those instances of where you have to consider what's best for the development of the players in the organization as a whole and let that take precedent.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote