HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Iron Hook Cometh

Old
03-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
Poile qouted as saying Jarnkroks will be competing for a center position in Nashville next year
If he stays

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:22 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
If he stays
I would be giving him a shot in the NHL immediately. I was hearing he is NHL ready..Is he even close?

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I wouldn't get rid of Watson
You have one of the top 2-3 picks in the draft. Are you trading out of a chance for Reinhardt/Bennett/Ekblad for the 7th overall, a 30-40 point nhl prospect, and a 2nd? Or, in other words, do you trade a MacKinnon, Barkov, or Drouin for Nurse, Gagner (who is better than Watson or Beck will likely be) and a 2nd?

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

So, I guess we've become Wings fans all the sudden

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:21 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Wings fan coming in peace (and jealousy)

Who is Jarnkrok competing for a C spot with next year? I am assuming Fisher, Cullen, and Gaustad will all be back. Who else would be in that group?

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
You have one of the top 2-3 picks in the draft. Are you trading out of a chance for Reinhardt/Bennett/Ekblad for the 7th overall, a 30-40 point nhl prospect, and a 2nd? Or, in other words, do you trade a MacKinnon, Barkov, or Drouin for Nurse, Gagner (who is better than Watson or Beck will likely be) and a 2nd?
I'd try as hard as I possibly could to move up to get Bennett at three if I'm Poile. We need to find a guy we like and commit to him being a top talent for us.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'd try as hard as I possibly could to move up to get Bennett at three if I'm Poile. We need to find a guy we like and commit to him being a top talent for us.
Well sure, but offering a package that is going to get one of those 3 teams to drop out of the chance to take an almost sure-fire franchise player is easier said than done.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by P U L L H A R D View Post
Wings fan coming in peace (and jealousy)

Who is Jarnkrok competing for a C spot with next year? I am assuming Fisher, Cullen, and Gaustad will all be back. Who else would be in that group?
Poile said in his conference that Colin Wilson will take Legwand's spot. Nick Spaling should be back too.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Hell, bring him up, give him a shot.
Bring somebody up! Bring EVERYBODY UP!

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Well sure, but offering a package that is going to get one of those 3 teams to drop out of the chance to take an almost sure-fire franchise player is easier said than done.
Historically it's a lot less than you'd think. It all depends on where we end up drafting, it's a lot easier to package the number 6 pick instead of number 12, but if Detroit makes the playoffs we have 2 2nds all of a sudden and that's a pretty good bargaining chip.

1st rounder(6-10), 2 2nds, young roster player like Ellis could do it. I'd be very happy with Poile if he took a stand, set out to get a top guy in the draft and then made it happen. Probably not going to happen, but it'd be a major move and a definite commitment to going out and acquiring top 6 talent.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
My response there is the same as it is here.
What's he supposed to say yeah we fleeced them with a kid that is never going to play there.

When this backfires on Poile we seriously need to considering cleaning house.
what??

so you would have rather let Legwand walk for nothing? even if the kid doesn't pan out it was a good trade

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Poile said in his conference that Colin Wilson will take Legwand's spot. Nick Spaling should be back too.
Spaling is a UFA this summer, and Poile didn't sign him to a multi year deal last summer when he was still an RFA. Unless Poile suddenly becomes a believer and gives him a multi year deal, I think sapling is gone to make room for younger guys. Im still not sold on Wilson being a center full time, either.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Historically it's a lot less than you'd think. It all depends on where we end up drafting, it's a lot easier to package the number 6 pick instead of number 12, but if Detroit makes the playoffs we have 2 2nds all of a sudden and that's a pretty good bargaining chip.

1st rounder(6-10), 2 2nds, young roster player like Ellis could do it. I'd be very happy with Poile if he took a stand, set out to get a top guy in the draft and then made it happen. Probably not going to happen, but it'd be a major move and a definite commitment to going out and acquiring top 6 talent.
I don't think it happens often enough for there to be any real science to it. In the past decade, only 3 top 5 picks were moved, only 1 of those a top 3 pick. Of those, the only one moved at or just before the draft was Toronto and NYI swapping the 5th (Schenn) for 7th+ in 2008. Ladd at 4 in 2004 was a pick that had been traded the prior summer, when such a pick would have had drastically different value, and the same with the Seguin pick at 2 in 2010. Now prior to that, things are a bit wackier. Point being, there are very few examples of teams jumping into the top 5/top 3 in the salary cap era, and of those, only once has it been done when the exact placement of the pick was actually known. While I agree it would be an excellent move on Poile's part to get it done, there's no telling what value it would take to move into the top 3, or whether any of those teams would even seriously consider trading out.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

We have got to be the most negative fan base in any sport on the planet.

In less than 5 hours we have gone from elation at having ripped off out long hated rivals the Red Wings to writing this kid off as done and gone…

holy ****, people, can't we at least wait for the kid to fail or leave before we write his hockey obituary??

Old
03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Spaling is a UFA this summer, and Poile didn't sign him to a multi year deal last summer when he was still an RFA. Unless Poile suddenly becomes a believer and gives him a multi year deal, I think sapling is gone to make room for younger guys. Im still not sold on Wilson being a center full time, either.
I think Spaling is an ideal 3rd line guy for this team, but with the roster where it currently is, not sure there's the room for him. Definitely rather keep him around over Bourque, Cullen, or Stalberg.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Preds33

Quote:
According to CapGeek he's a RFA.

http://capgeek.com/player/1073

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:19 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Maybe it's just me but I don't have faith in Trotz to not hinder young offensive talents growth. We've had good offensive talents with high upside and none have yet to reach their potential. The common denominator in all of them is Trotz.

Not sure well ever been seen as anything more than a grinding team with Trotz on the bench.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:23 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
According to CapGeek he's a RFA.

http://capgeek.com/player/1073
I stand corrected. thats good, then. he will have some trade value this summer. I just don't think he has a future here, with Watson waiting in the wings and now IronHook in the pipeline as well

Old
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
I stand corrected. thats good, then. he will have some trade value this summer. I just don't think he has a future here, with Watson waiting in the wings and now IronHook in the pipeline as well
I think he does with Fisher potentially retiring and Cullen getting up there. While he's still young, Spaling is still one of our more veteran players, he knows how to work hard and PK, good to have players like him around.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I don't have faith in Trotz to not hinder young offensive talents growth. We've had good offensive talents with high upside and none have yet to reach their potential. The common denominator in all of them is Trotz.
Who are all these talents you speak of ?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:51 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
There is a saying in Milwaukee that "we have a rush minute".

I guess it is true hockey as well as the road system!
I dunno, 94 going into the Zoo Interchange is someplace you wanna avoid in the afternoon and early evening.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:44 AM
Tomas W

He is just starting to heat up in the AHL, so I was bummed to see him go, Detroit need their prospects. Our younger players have been saving our season, when all the old guys either suck or breaks down all the time. And now we go sign another veteran that might end up as just a rental??

That said, if Järnkrok really was saying that he would leave the AHL, its a different story, maybe he was unhappy with his future prospects within the Wings system? Patience is a key for prospects in DRW so if he lacked that he can leave for all I care.

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:20 AM
Matte99

Poile said that Forsberg and Järnkrok will see some NHL icetime together this season, smth about needing offense and goal scoring. I know you had a bad experience with Radulov but you should never compare Russians to Swedes, the general mentality is very different.

Hockey in SHL is very civilized compared to AHL, teams fly to their games, big training staffs, doctors etc, good salary, friends, family, language... He is a top prospect for NHL which means he would easily play an important role in SHL. KH had him in AHL (even though all DRW centers are injured) which is the opposite of what he is used to and he is playing for scraps... Riding buses wont make him a better player and AHL got a really dodgy reputation in Sweden so dont fool yourself thinking he was dreaming about playing there.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:29 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Poile said that Forsberg and Järnkrok will see some NHL icetime together this season, smth about needing offense and goal scoring. I know you had a bad experience with Radulov but you should never compare Russians to Swedes, the general mentality is very different.

Hockey in SHL is very civilized compared to AHL, teams fly to their games, big training staffs, doctors etc, good salary, friends, family, language... He is a top prospect for NHL which means he would easily play an important role in SHL. KH had him in AHL (even though all DRW centers are injured) which is the opposite of what he is used to and he is playing for scraps... Riding buses wont make him a better player and AHL got a really dodgy reputation in Sweden so dont fool yourself thinking he was dreaming about playing there.
Doesn't the NHL and SHL have an agreement on contracts therefore he would need to finish his out next year?

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:39 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post

About development, I guess SHL is at least just as good as the AHL (some pros some cons), but:

If he were to play in the SHL there is no way to just call him up for a few games to try him out. Having a player in the AHL is just much more convenient. I hope that this is a reason why Järnkrok is traded, because otherwise this look like a pretty bad trade right now for the Wings (although if Legwand gives a Detroit a discount on an extension its a different story).

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote