HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[WSH/BUF] Jaroslav Halak + 3rd rd pick for Michael Neuvirth + Rostislav Klesla

Old
03-06-2014, 03:24 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 500
Let's see how well Halak performs with a Capitals team that is 5th worst in the NHL in GA, although he will probably split the duties with Holtby.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 07:05 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
actually there is, its called GAA. because thats what defense is when it comes down to it, not allowing the other team to score. not to mention SA/G doesn't take into account how good the scoring chances actually were.

also neuvirths numbers were inflated since that was by far his best statistical year.
I agree SA/G isn't a good measurement of defense, but GA/G is even worse. I think Fenwick/Corsi Close/60 is better than both.

Last edited by fedfed: 03-06-2014 at 07:44 AM.
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 07:10 AM
tony d
Real Super Mario

For Washington's sake let's hope Halak is the goalie that stabilizes that position for them.

03-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
actually there is, its called GAA. because thats what defense is when it comes down to it, not allowing the other team to score. not to mention SA/G doesn't take into account how good the scoring chances actually were.

also neuvirths numbers were inflated since that was by far his best statistical year.
Are you even reading what I post? I'm talking about the team defense in front of Neuvirth that year. Why would you use a metric that factors in goaltending? I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

And Neuvy's sv% that year was .914, the same as it was the previous year and the same as it is this year. It wasn't by far his best statistical year. It was his best GAA, but that's a ****** way of judging a goaltender because, as I've been saying, it relies heavily on the defense in front of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I agree SA/G isn't a good measurement of defense, but GA/G is even worse. I think Fenwick/Corsi Close/60 is better than both.
They're more exact, but there's barely any change in the rankings for SA/G as opposed to the advanced stat equivalents. I go by SA/G when making a point on these boards because there's a large portion of the user base here that shuts down and goes into "you're just a stat nerd" mode at the first mention of corsi or fenwick. Using those metrics would've only reinforced my point though, since that Caps team was 12th in FA/60 and 14th in CA/60 in close situations.

Last edited by Zoidberg Jesus: 03-06-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote