HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Downie

Old
01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Downie, not a criticism of him, but more than anyone I'd expect to try and play through a concussion.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think the concussion can really be to blame, he played well when he came back from the concussion, then kind of fizzled. He had 12 points in the games in mid-Novemeber up until mid-December after coming back. Then he just kind of disappeared. I guess it could be concussion related, and maybe I am just ill-informed on the medical aspects, but I would think the first month after coming back form the concussion would be harder than the second month, unless he injured himself further in that time (of which I am not aware).
I think he fizzled because after he got back from the broken orbital bone/concussion and played so well, he got dinged by several cheap head shots again. He also had an arm injury of some kind and kept playing. He looked much better tonight, and I think the break will do him good.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Qyburn

Despite his poor play, it's still nice to have a capable veteran in case of injury. It can have a steadying influence vs a callup when times get lean. While hardly ideal to pay a 13th forward what he's getting...eh, glass half full blah blah blah.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:00 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I think he fizzled because after he got back from the broken orbital bone/concussion and played so well, he got dinged by several cheap head shots again. He also had an arm injury of some kind and kept playing. He looked much better tonight, and I think the break will do him good.
I think our blowout win of Washington, he took a slash to his hand right after a goal and it seemed to be bothering him for awhile after. Wonder if that was it.

Either way, I don't get the hate for Downie. If he's not pulling max effort? I get it then. But the guy was one of the catalysts for turning our season around. Aside from Volpatti beating the snot out of him in his 1st game back, he came back and sparked Couturier and Read...and the 3 of them really led the turn around. He deserves more props than he gets.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think our blowout win of Washington, he took a slash to his hand right after a goal and it seemed to be bothering him for awhile after. Wonder if that was it.

Either way, I don't get the hate for Downie. If he's not pulling max effort? I get it then. But the guy was one of the catalysts for turning our season around. Aside from Volpatti beating the snot out of him in his 1st game back, he came back and sparked Couturier and Read...and the 3 of them really led the turn around. He deserves more props than he gets.
Not sure when, but they eventually admitted he'd been playing with the arm injury.

Anyway, we agree that, to a great degree, Downie saved the season. He got Couts and Read going and that line carried the team and really did turn it around.

Old
01-28-2014, 10:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Not sure when, but they eventually admitted he'd been playing with the arm injury.

Anyway, we agree that, to a great degree, Downie saved the season. He got Couts and Read going and that line carried the team and really did turn it around.
Yep, I'm certainly not giving him all the credit, or even most of it. But people tearing the guy down aren't considering what he brought to the team.

Old
01-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Raffl House

For what...10 games? I get he contributed mightily to a good turnaround, I've got to see continued play over a long season.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffl House View Post
For what...10 games? I get he contributed mightily to a good turnaround, I've got to see continued play over a long season.
Same goes for everyone else on this team.

Old
03-06-2014, 11:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This guy is still playing like a bonehead. Agree with Meltzer and thought the same thing last night ..why was he out there in the closing minutes and that hail mary shot was not smart even if it went in....

Ever since he got his face smashed which was a product of his stupidity as well , he hasn't been the same.

At this point he should be made to walk in the offseason unless somehow his brain starts operating again...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
This guy is still playing like a bonehead. Agree with Meltzer and thought the same thing last night ..why was he out there in the closing minutes and that hail mary shot was not smart even if it went in....

Ever since he got his face smashed which was a product of his stupidity as well , he hasn't been the same.

At this point he should be made to walk in the offseason unless somehow his brain starts operating again...
I think that is probably what is going to happen. I'd re-sign him if he wants to do a one or two year deal under $3 million per. He has shown in the past (even this season) that he can play at a relatively high level. For what is out there UFA-wise and what we have internally, Downie another year or two at $3 million or less would be fine with me. My real choice though...wait for Leino to be bought out and then sign him for peanuts. I can't imagine he would get anything more than a million or two after his awful seasons in Buffalo. I don't think the guy has ten goals since he left Philly. Give him $1 million for one year to play with Couturier and Read or something.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Schenn-VL-Simmonds
Leino-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:06 PM
McNasty

Quote:
I think that is probably what is going to happen. I'd re-sign him if he wants to do a one or two year deal under $3 million per. He has shown in the past (even this season) that he can play at a relatively high level. For what is out there UFA-wise and what we have internally, Downie another year or two at $3 million or less would be fine with me. My real choice though...wait for Leino to be bought out and then sign him for peanuts. I can't imagine he would get anything more than a million or two after his awful seasons in Buffalo. I don't think the guy has ten goals since he left Philly. Give him $1 million for one year to play with Couturier and Read or something.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Schenn-VL-Simmonds
Leino-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall
No Raffl?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Curufinwe

Leino over Raffl is crazy.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
deadhead

Downie would be fine on the 4th line at a 4th line salary, but has no business playing ahead of Raffl (who keeps improving, he's actually showing some real offensive skill) on the 3rd line.

They need more speed at the back end, and more brains.
Downie has good hands and is tough in the corner, but is slow and stupid (too many "tough guy" bad penalties).
Rinaldo is fast but has hands of stone and no clue what to do in a corner other than hit somebody (cue Warren Zevon's ghost).
Hall is big and good at faceoffs and has brains, if only he could skate!

This is where I think they could upgrade at low cost next year with Laughton coming up and put together a 4th line that could hold it's own, not just hope not to be grossly outscored.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:19 AM
tymed

With Schenn and Read needing contracts, Downies out.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Curufinwe

Read already has a contract.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Read already has a contract.
Edit: With Schenn needing a new contract, Downies out.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
kelmitchell

or put raffl with coots and read sign leino to a two way deal maybe 900k and put him on fourth line with laughton and hall next year

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
No Raffl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Leino over Raffl is crazy.
My bad. Just forgot about him. Either way I'd like to see Leino brought in for cheap if he gets bought out. I would not take him over Raffl though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:41 AM
dats81

Leino is slow, or at least plays a possesion game where he is slowing it down before setting up his line mates in front of the net, and not very physical.

He'd be a bad fit on the 4th line or a checking line. And I don't want him anywhere near our top-6!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 02:45 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Downie is always injured it seems like.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

If Downie is on this team next season I'm becoming a Penguins fan.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
lancer247

Quote:
My bad. Just forgot about him. Either way I'd like to see Leino brought in for cheap if he gets bought out. I would not take him over Raffl though.
We dodged the Leino bullet once. I wouldn't bring him back especially for a bottom 6 role.

If Rafl Coors Read is the shut down line then the fourth should be an energy line.

If, IF Laughton makes the team then maybe McGinnis Laughton Rinaldo as a 4th.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:40 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
or put raffl with coots and read sign leino to a two way deal maybe 900k and put him on fourth line with laughton and hall next year
Jesus!! I'm sure the Flyers can find someone other than Leino.. We had his services already move on, look what happens when we sign ex-Flyers ie: Knuble, Downie., why don't we just go and sign Gagne again

03-11-2014, 05:17 PM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Jesus!! I'm sure the Flyers can find someone other than Leino.. We had his services already move on, look what happens when we sign ex-Flyers ie: Knuble, Downie., why don't we just go and sign Gagne again
gagne would still do great here in a bottom 6 role

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
There are about 1,000 players ahead of Leino, or Gagne, for a 4th line role next year. Leino flat out stinks, glad Homer didn't sign him.