HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Downie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
  #26
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,481
vCash: 50
Downie, not a criticism of him, but more than anyone I'd expect to try and play through a concussion.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:48 PM
  #27
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think the concussion can really be to blame, he played well when he came back from the concussion, then kind of fizzled. He had 12 points in the games in mid-Novemeber up until mid-December after coming back. Then he just kind of disappeared. I guess it could be concussion related, and maybe I am just ill-informed on the medical aspects, but I would think the first month after coming back form the concussion would be harder than the second month, unless he injured himself further in that time (of which I am not aware).
I think he fizzled because after he got back from the broken orbital bone/concussion and played so well, he got dinged by several cheap head shots again. He also had an arm injury of some kind and kept playing. He looked much better tonight, and I think the break will do him good.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
  #28
Qyburn
Registered User
 
Qyburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Despite his poor play, it's still nice to have a capable veteran in case of injury. It can have a steadying influence vs a callup when times get lean. While hardly ideal to pay a 13th forward what he's getting...eh, glass half full blah blah blah.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:00 PM
  #29
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I think he fizzled because after he got back from the broken orbital bone/concussion and played so well, he got dinged by several cheap head shots again. He also had an arm injury of some kind and kept playing. He looked much better tonight, and I think the break will do him good.
I think our blowout win of Washington, he took a slash to his hand right after a goal and it seemed to be bothering him for awhile after. Wonder if that was it.


Either way, I don't get the hate for Downie. If he's not pulling max effort? I get it then. But the guy was one of the catalysts for turning our season around. Aside from Volpatti beating the snot out of him in his 1st game back, he came back and sparked Couturier and Read...and the 3 of them really led the turn around. He deserves more props than he gets.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:12 PM
  #30
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think our blowout win of Washington, he took a slash to his hand right after a goal and it seemed to be bothering him for awhile after. Wonder if that was it.


Either way, I don't get the hate for Downie. If he's not pulling max effort? I get it then. But the guy was one of the catalysts for turning our season around. Aside from Volpatti beating the snot out of him in his 1st game back, he came back and sparked Couturier and Read...and the 3 of them really led the turn around. He deserves more props than he gets.
Not sure when, but they eventually admitted he'd been playing with the arm injury.

Anyway, we agree that, to a great degree, Downie saved the season. He got Couts and Read going and that line carried the team and really did turn it around.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:23 PM
  #31
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Not sure when, but they eventually admitted he'd been playing with the arm injury.

Anyway, we agree that, to a great degree, Downie saved the season. He got Couts and Read going and that line carried the team and really did turn it around.
Yep, I'm certainly not giving him all the credit, or even most of it. But people tearing the guy down aren't considering what he brought to the team.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:06 PM
  #32
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 500
For what...10 games? I get he contributed mightily to a good turnaround, I've got to see continued play over a long season.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:48 PM
  #33
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffl House View Post
For what...10 games? I get he contributed mightily to a good turnaround, I've got to see continued play over a long season.
Same goes for everyone else on this team.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:56 AM
  #34
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
This guy is still playing like a bonehead. Agree with Meltzer and thought the same thing last night ..why was he out there in the closing minutes and that hail mary shot was not smart even if it went in....

Ever since he got his face smashed which was a product of his stupidity as well , he hasn't been the same.

At this point he should be made to walk in the offseason unless somehow his brain starts operating again...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
  #35
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
This guy is still playing like a bonehead. Agree with Meltzer and thought the same thing last night ..why was he out there in the closing minutes and that hail mary shot was not smart even if it went in....

Ever since he got his face smashed which was a product of his stupidity as well , he hasn't been the same.

At this point he should be made to walk in the offseason unless somehow his brain starts operating again...
I think that is probably what is going to happen. I'd re-sign him if he wants to do a one or two year deal under $3 million per. He has shown in the past (even this season) that he can play at a relatively high level. For what is out there UFA-wise and what we have internally, Downie another year or two at $3 million or less would be fine with me. My real choice though...wait for Leino to be bought out and then sign him for peanuts. I can't imagine he would get anything more than a million or two after his awful seasons in Buffalo. I don't think the guy has ten goals since he left Philly. Give him $1 million for one year to play with Couturier and Read or something.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Schenn-VL-Simmonds
Leino-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:06 PM
  #36
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think that is probably what is going to happen. I'd re-sign him if he wants to do a one or two year deal under $3 million per. He has shown in the past (even this season) that he can play at a relatively high level. For what is out there UFA-wise and what we have internally, Downie another year or two at $3 million or less would be fine with me. My real choice though...wait for Leino to be bought out and then sign him for peanuts. I can't imagine he would get anything more than a million or two after his awful seasons in Buffalo. I don't think the guy has ten goals since he left Philly. Give him $1 million for one year to play with Couturier and Read or something.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Schenn-VL-Simmonds
Leino-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall
No Raffl?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:06 PM
  #37
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,514
vCash: 500
Leino over Raffl is crazy.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
  #38
deadhead
Registered User
 
deadhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Downie would be fine on the 4th line at a 4th line salary, but has no business playing ahead of Raffl (who keeps improving, he's actually showing some real offensive skill) on the 3rd line.

They need more speed at the back end, and more brains.
Downie has good hands and is tough in the corner, but is slow and stupid (too many "tough guy" bad penalties).
Rinaldo is fast but has hands of stone and no clue what to do in a corner other than hit somebody (cue Warren Zevon's ghost).
Hall is big and good at faceoffs and has brains, if only he could skate!

This is where I think they could upgrade at low cost next year with Laughton coming up and put together a 4th line that could hold it's own, not just hope not to be grossly outscored.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:19 AM
  #39
tymed
Registered User
 
tymed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
With Schenn and Read needing contracts, Downies out.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:24 AM
  #40
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 9,514
vCash: 500
Read already has a contract.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
  #41
tymed
Registered User
 
tymed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Read already has a contract.
Edit: With Schenn needing a new contract, Downies out.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
  #42
kelmitchell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
or put raffl with coots and read sign leino to a two way deal maybe 900k and put him on fourth line with laughton and hall next year

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
  #43
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
No Raffl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Leino over Raffl is crazy.
My bad. Just forgot about him. Either way I'd like to see Leino brought in for cheap if he gets bought out. I would not take him over Raffl though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 06:41 AM
  #44
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
Leino is slow, or at least plays a possesion game where he is slowing it down before setting up his line mates in front of the net, and not very physical.

He'd be a bad fit on the 4th line or a checking line. And I don't want him anywhere near our top-6!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 02:45 PM
  #45
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy
 
jabba2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Downie is always injured it seems like.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 02:57 PM
  #46
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,120
vCash: 500
If Downie is on this team next season I'm becoming a Penguins fan.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
  #47
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My bad. Just forgot about him. Either way I'd like to see Leino brought in for cheap if he gets bought out. I would not take him over Raffl though.
We dodged the Leino bullet once. I wouldn't bring him back especially for a bottom 6 role.

If Rafl Coors Read is the shut down line then the fourth should be an energy line.

If, IF Laughton makes the team then maybe McGinnis Laughton Rinaldo as a 4th.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:40 PM
  #48
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
or put raffl with coots and read sign leino to a two way deal maybe 900k and put him on fourth line with laughton and hall next year
Jesus!! I'm sure the Flyers can find someone other than Leino.. We had his services already move on, look what happens when we sign ex-Flyers ie: Knuble, Downie., why don't we just go and sign Gagne again

__________________
Love My Flyers!
FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:17 PM
  #49
kelmitchell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Jesus!! I'm sure the Flyers can find someone other than Leino.. We had his services already move on, look what happens when we sign ex-Flyers ie: Knuble, Downie., why don't we just go and sign Gagne again
gagne would still do great here in a bottom 6 role

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
  #50
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Jesus!! I'm sure the Flyers can find someone other than Leino.. We had his services already move on, look what happens when we sign ex-Flyers ie: Knuble, Downie., why don't we just go and sign Gagne again
There are about 1,000 players ahead of Leino, or Gagne, for a 4th line role next year. Leino flat out stinks, glad Homer didn't sign him.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.