HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal - Fedor Tyutin

Old
02-17-2007, 09:55 PM
bar down*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Marc Staal - Fedor Tyutin

Now, i know that he is probably our top prospect, but what are the rangers expecting out of him? Is he supposed to be an all star defensman? Another thing, when Tyutin was reallllly young, what did people think he would evolve too? Did people think that he was going to be an all star defensman? Because if Stall is as good as tyutin we'll be in pretty good shape.

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:20 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
if Stall is as good as tyutin we'll be in pretty good shape.
Personally I hope Staal is considerably better than Tyutin.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:23 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Now, i know that he is probably our top prospect, but what are the rangers expecting out of him? Is he supposed to be an all star defensman? Another thing, when Tyutin was reallllly young, what did people think he would evolve too? Did people think that he was going to be an all star defensman? Because if Stall is as good as tyutin we'll be in pretty good shape.

Most people thought Tyutin would be a 2nd-3rd defenseman, then after last year most people for some reason said a top pairing defenseman was a stretch and pegged him as a solid 3rd or 4th defensman. I think this year he is proving he can be a top pairing dman.

Staal has the potential be a top #2 defenseman. Maybe, a #1 but he would really have to be a unbelievable shutdown Dman to reach that since I don't think he will put up #1 dmen type numbers.

Staal > Tyutin though in terms of potential.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Tyutins development, at least to me, took a giant leap forward this year. Hes been a rock in his own zone. id call him a #2-3 right now. maybe thats a stretch, but not how i see it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:18 PM
DontStaal

when Staal makes the team [which i feel will happen no matter how he performs in camp next year] we'll have for the future a #1 and #2 Defenseman.

I'd don't think the two will be paired since they are both play LD.

As for Tyutin this year, he's been solid but hasnt really shown the Offensive potential that the ranger staff believe he has... or else youd see him on the PP. He has a rocket of a shot but its usually miles off.

Btw, speaking of Toots, I like the way Girardi and him have been playing. Toots has sorta stepped outta the shadow of Kasper and is doing his own teaching [today was actually the first game where I've seen the two slip].

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:21 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
when Staal makes the team [which i feel will happen no matter how he performs in camp next year] we'll have for the future a #1 and #2 Defenseman.

I'd don't think the two will be paired since they are both play LD.

As for Tyutin this year, he's been solid but hasnt really shown the Offensive potential that the ranger staff believe he has... or else youd see him on the PP. He has a rocket of a shot but its usually miles off.

Btw, speaking of Toots, I like the way Girardi and him have been playing. Toots has sorta stepped outta the shadow of Kasper and is doing his own teaching [today was actually the first game where I've seen the two slip].
Heh, I never thought of that but its true. Tyutin for the past year and and half was the student, but for the past few games he is now the teacher for Girardi. IMO that is really showing a lot about what the coaching staff thinks of Tyutin.

Old
02-17-2007, 11:53 PM
lotus

Toots has been amazing, i love this kid

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:11 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Impressed with Tyutin this year, which is in stark contrast to the way I felt last year....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:31 AM
dank

Tyutin = very good

Tyutin + Mean Streak = awesome

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:24 AM
eco's bones

I'm not sure that with Staal--or even Sauer for that matter there will be enough offensive production that you would call him a number 1 defenseman. I think what the Rangers are hoping Staal turns into is something like a Rod Langway--a premium shutdown d-man who can play 30 minutes a night--say by the time he hits 23-24-25. If you're wondering then who is going to run the pwp from the point--I think the idea as of now is that might eventually be Sanguinetti. If these guys all turn out--we could have one hell of a defense. Even so Sanguinetti I don't think is going to put up a lot of points unless we have some octane in our offfense. By the time he's ready there's a good chance that Jagr, Straka, Nylander and Shanahan will all be gone.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 07:43 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Heh, I never thought of that but its true. Tyutin for the past year and and half was the student, but for the past few games he is now the teacher for Girardi. IMO that is really showing a lot about what the coaching staff thinks of Tyutin.
Tyutin has really simplified his game. Same as last year when he was thrust in the role of caretaker for Poti. I've said this before and I see it more now this year, Tyutin remines be of Kevin Lowe.

While everyone is debating Staal & Tyutin do not forget Sauer. He may be the best defender of the 3. If everything pans out that is not a bad nucleus for Dmen. Slide in a Bobby S after he learns how to play some D (I think his piss poor defensive play is going to hold him back) and add in Baranka, Potter, etc and I think we will be set on the blueline for a good number of years.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:39 AM
tpb209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
He may be the best defender of the 3. If everything pans out that is not a bad nucleus for Dmen.
I really think that is a stretch. Tyutin is already a 2nd pairing defenseman and most people have sauer's ceiling as a second pairing guy.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Ola

Quote:
I think even the brass were a bit off on Tyutin when he was really young. Toots came to the CHL after playing in the RSL, kind of like Annisimov gooing there next season. Toots skill-level and awareness were dominant in the CHL, I never saw him there but he were described as a offensive D by the brass. Though that weren't really his style, he didn't play like one in Europe.

I think this is kind of a misstake we have made with Toots. Looking at how important puckmovement are in the game today, and seeing how important lateral-movement is defensivly, I would rather see Toots beeing molded into a D who can cover up for a real offensive minded D, or atleast play with another D as offensive as he is, and still contribute with the offensive skills he got.

I don't think we can pressure him into playing a offensive brand of hockey.

So I would say that Tyutin by many were overrated offensivly, but probably underrated defensivly.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:53 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim8778 View Post
I really think that is a stretch. Tyutin is already a 2nd pairing defenseman and most people have sauer's ceiling as a second pairing guy.
Sauer by and large is flying under the radar. He is steadily improving each year and I think we really lucked out because he was injured his draft year and we had extra 2nd rounders to gamble with and selected a number of players who would have been drafted but later in the draft and not as early as when we selected them.

Staal has the family name now so much is hype and still much is well deserved, but do not under estimate Sauer's potential. I don't get hung up on slotting 17 & 18 year olds. There have been plenty of players who were drafted high and were suppose to be top line or top pairing players who either never made it or who became 3rd or 4th liners and the opposite has been true of an equal number of players who no one saw the full potential. That is why you have to develop your players and see what happens. Anybody remmber those sure fire picks Brendl & Lundmark? So much for a future captain and gunner.

Old
02-18-2007, 08:57 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think even the brass were a bit off on Tyutin when he was really young. Toots came to the CHL after playing in the RSL, kind of like Annisimov gooing there next season. Toots skill-level and awareness were dominant in the CHL, I never saw him there but he were described as a offensive D by the brass. Though that weren't really his style, he didn't play like one in Europe.

I think this is kind of a misstake we have made with Toots. Looking at how important puckmovement are in the game today, and seeing how important lateral-movement is defensivly, I would rather see Toots beeing molded into a D who can cover up for a real offensive minded D, or atleast play with another D as offensive as he is, and still contribute with the offensive skills he got.

I don't think we can pressure him into playing a offensive brand of hockey.

So I would say that Tyutin by many were overrated offensivly, but probably underrated defensivly.
I'm perfectly happy with the way Toots have developed. I remember the PR on James Patrick, everyone said "the next Paul Coffey" Far from it, but still a very good dman who had a long and productive career. What a player brings to his game at 17-18 and what they bring at 23-24 are completely different. Many times you end up with a completely different player then when you picked them.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:25 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Is the junior season almost over? Because when it is and Sudbury is out Marc should be on his way here without a moments hesitation from management.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:29 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Right now Sudbury and the Owen Sound Attack have not clinched a playoff spot and are low in terms of points. If both get eliminated, please Sather bring both Staal and Sanguinetti over.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:36 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Sanguinetti would get eaten alive in the AHL right now. If they do bring him in it would be a cold dose of reality for him and show him how much he needs to work on the other part of his game, playing defense. If he can't defend he better be Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:52 AM
NYROrtsFan

Would be good for him to play in the AHL though. (Sang)

As far as Staal goes, with me it depends on Shanny and what the Rangers do in terms of the playoffs. If Shanny is hurt for a long time here and couldnt play in the playoffs if they make it then the Rangers should just bring Staal here and let him play. If the Rangers look like they have any future in the playoffs then just put Staal with the Pack.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:08 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Sanguinetti would get eaten alive in the AHL right now. If they do bring him in it would be a cold dose of reality for him and show him how much he needs to work on the other part of his game, playing defense. If he can't defend he better be Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey.
Agree. If Sanguinetti went to the AHL for a few games the kid would be overwhelmed big time. I wouldn't even want him to get a dose of reality because he would hurt the team more then anything.

Old
02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Personally I hope Staal is considerably better than Tyutin.
Me too...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:24 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Me too...
Three

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:26 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm perfectly happy with the way Toots have developed. I remember the PR on James Patrick, everyone said "the next Paul Coffey" Far from it, but still a very good dman who had a long and productive career. What a player brings to his game at 17-18 and what they bring at 23-24 are completely different. Many times you end up with a completely different player then when you picked them.
It all depends on your expectations. If the thinking was that Toot is definetly a top-pairing defenseman, you may be disappointed. Me, I would be quite happy with a 2nd pairing defenseman, and as such, am not disappointed in his development. The scary comparisons to Malakhov are still there though and that does not make me happy.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:51 PM
NYROrtsFan

If we are saying the same inconsistency things with Tyutin at the end of next season then i'd be a little concerned... That said, he's improved each year and is still only 23 years old. Think he'll be a fine 2nd pairing guy and i'm personally happy with that.

Staal however has that 1st pairing upside so hopefully that happens.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Levitate

Tyutin has evened out his play and has been consistantly good for a long time this season, IMO. I feel pretty comfortable with him out there against the best players in the NHL, and think he could easily be part of a (legit) top pairing.

I also feel his offensive side is something that might develop through the years, and we'll look up one day and see he quietly put up 40 points or so. Just a feeling...because he has a lot of skills but hasn't figured out how to translate those into offensive numbers. Better and quicker decisions inside the zone will probably go a long ways towards that

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote