HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Iron Hook Cometh

Old
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if you were expecting a 30G scorer I think you will be disappointed.

I would happily take a 22 year old Legwand clone. That would mean we have a solid 2/3 center fr the next 10 years. The main thing that made Preds fans unhappy with Legwand was that he was a #2 overall pick and never became a superstar, and got a big contract. But any objective person would never question that he is a solid NHL center man and a good addition to any team
Likelihood is any guy with Legwand's production or better not named Legwand, especially a younger guy, would be targeted by this fanbase as someone we should pick up. Guy must have killed kittens and clubbed baby seals in his spare time. Oh, and the whole former #2 pick thing, of course.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Smilodon

When addressing the media last night, Poile said the Preds originally wanted to draft Järnkrok.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I think that the fact that he has 4 years of development is huge

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:52 AM
PFL615

Below is a what Detroit GM said about Iron Hook on the radio this morning. Posted in Wings forum.

"Kenny's getting defensive about Jarnkrok on the radio. Says they saw Calle as a bottom 6 center. Calling the media out. Had a hard time seeing Jarnkrok getting into the lineup. Mentioned that they like Luke in the 4 spot. And Joker has more years left on his deal."

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Likelihood is any guy with Legwand's production or better not named Legwand, especially a younger guy, would be targeted by this fanbase as someone we should pick up. .
Sorry we don't need 40 point tweeners roaming a scoring lines-- nobody should want that except an expansion team maybe. I'm more frustrated with Poile that he put Legwand in that position for so many years. He too had an emotional connection to Legwand. But after he signed his big contract, and his production and effort dipped, Poile was visible upset at Legwand and he is the only guy I've seen Poile call out to them media. I feel that's why Poile felt best to move on from Legwand at this stage.

It's best for Legwand too. He's too comfortable here and signing a retirement contract is going to make him even more comfortable. Go to a new place and hopefully will light a fire under him.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
When addressing the media last night, Poile said the Preds originally wanted to draft Järnkrok.
It's probably better that Detroit drafted him and developed him for a few years to be honest.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:07 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It's probably better than Detroit drafted him and developed him for a few years to be honest.
1 yr in Grand Rapids is better than 1 yr in Milwaukee because?

Old
03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
PFL615

Just looking at it for starters Detroit /GR has produced better forwards than Nashville/MIL

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
People sit around and *****ed that we never got anything for Suter, and now we are in the same position with Legwand and people have a fit we traded him.
I see know one having a fit that we traded Legwand. Honestly, I think people are exaggerating and imagining people's responses so that have a reason b*** and complain about posters.

I see some concern that Jarnk may have tendencies to Sweden. When Bob McKenzies says he needs to be convinced to stay in NA, I do not take that as spin city. Jarnk says he has a year left on his NHL contract and he intends to honor it. That's good, but also does not scream NHL loyalty either.

I certainly hope he stays, but I hope Poile got a pulse of this dude before trading him. *Suddenly reminded or Ronning for Karalathi trade*

Old
03-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
Below is a what Detroit GM said about Iron Hook on the radio this morning. Posted in Wings forum.

"Kenny's getting defensive about Jarnkrok on the radio. Says they saw Calle as a bottom 6 center. Calling the media out. Had a hard time seeing Jarnkrok getting into the lineup. Mentioned that they like Luke in the 4 spot. And Joker has more years left on his deal."
Gonna go ahead and tell you that Luke Glendening is at best, a 4C plug, and if Holland is legitimately claiming he sees Jarnkrok as below Luke, then he should be fired for being a terrible judge of hockey ability.

In 35 games this season Glendening has 4 assists and is a -7. He's okay on the PK and has some speed, some grit, and nothing else. No offensive flair that he's demonstrated at all.

This news should cheer you up. This is Holland trying to cover his ass. It means Jarnkrok is better than he's letting on.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Gonna go ahead and tell you that Luke Glendening is at best, a 4C plug, and if Holland is legitimately claiming he sees Jarnkrok as below Luke, then he should be fired for being a terrible judge of hockey ability.

In 35 games this season Glendening has 4 assists and is a -7. He's okay on the PK and has some speed, some grit, and nothing else. No offensive flair that he's demonstrated at all.

This news should cheer you up. This is Holland trying to cover his ass. It means Jarnkrok is better than he's letting on.
It seems the Wings have hit the bricks (wrt player/talent evaluation) since Nill has left town.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
People always harp on Nashville's inability to draft and develop talented forwards, while Detroit is always heaped with praise because of late round gems like Zetterberg and Datsyuk. There is some truth to that, though it's often taken to the extreme. Detroit's European scouts are very good at finding forwards. Our strength is in defensemen and goalies.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Johnz96*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post

Holland is an idiot and definitely should be fired.
Jarnkrok's production in the first half of the AHL season (10 goals 6 assists in 38 games) was a total fluke. He controls the game when he is on the ice. It was just crazy for someone so dominant at puck possession and distribution to only have 6 assists. Part of the reason for the less than overwhelming numbers is because he is very responsible defensively and doesn't make many risky plays but I knew a breakout was imminent. And he has scored 19 points in his last 17 games.
The Preds should have a look at him in Nashville before sending him to the minors. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
People always harp on Nashville's inability to draft and develop talented forwards, while Detroit is always heaped with praise because of late round gems like Zetterberg and Datsyuk. There is some truth to that, though it's often taken to the extreme. Detroit's European scouts are very good at finding forwards. Our strength is in defensemen and goalies.
There's more to it than just Zetterberg and Datsyuk who I would argue are completely luck.

The number of winners the Wings have produced at the forward position considering their draft position is fantastic. Hudler, Filppula, Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Jurco, Franzen. The program is there and it knows how to identify talent and mold that talent.

And we just gave you guys a good one.

Quote:
It seems the Wings have hit the bricks (wrt player/talent evaluation) since Nill has left town.
This is the first bad move in terms of talent evaluation I've seen since Nill left. Before that, yes, we had Tatar in the pressbox at the start of the season and Nyquist in the AHL, but that wasn't because we didn't think they were good enough. It's because we put our priority on making veterans happy versus putting the best team on the ice. So we started baddies like Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson over obviously superior younger talent. That wasn't for lack of properly identifying talent.

But this. This is a serious mis-evaluation. Our AHL head coach has done nothing but rave about the guy since he started. Even when he wasn't producing, he was doing all the right things and playing the right way. And now he's starting to show it on the scoresheet and that's when we choose to send him packing.

Headscratcher to put it mildly.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:39 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

I want to see what he can do with Forsberg on his wing. I'd love to see the two of them starring in the AHL playoffs together. Hopefully the Admirals will be able to secure a spot and we'll see the two of them tear it up.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

"Jarnkrok is never going to stay, he's going back to Sweden, he'll never play here!"

=

"Yeah, this Zidlicky kid has put up great numbers, but Rangers fans say he's refused all contract offers to come over and will never play in the NHL"

Jarnkrok, from what I can see, wants to know that he has a shot of getting into the NHL, and isn't going to be stuck in the AHL indefinitely. The path to the NHL is pretty clearly shorter via Nashville than Detroit for him, so I don't see any reason for concern. If, at the end of next season, he's no closer to the NHL and wants to go back to Sweden then...big deal, he's approaching "bust" status by then, but newsflash--the same could be said of Watson, who was drafted the same year and is starting to look like, at best, a Nick Spaling type player. Either way, there's a nice chunk of time for him to earn a look, and there's a better chance that he'll run with it than not.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Armourboy

Quote:
I see know one having a fit that we traded Legwand. Honestly, I think people are exaggerating and imagining people's responses so that have a reason b*** and complain about posters.

I see some concern that Jarnk may have tendencies to Sweden. When Bob McKenzies says he needs to be convinced to stay in NA, I do not take that as spin city. Jarnk says he has a year left on his NHL contract and he intends to honor it. That's good, but also does not scream NHL loyalty either.

I certainly hope he stays, but I hope Poile got a pulse of this dude before trading him. *Suddenly reminded or Ronning for Karalathi trade*

Wasn't just meaning here, go look at other Predators places and you will see people absolutely crying and shocked that he got traded. You would think the guy had been putting 40g seasons up or something the way some people are reacting.

Was he a solid player? Sure. Do lots of fans root for him because he's been here forever? Sure. Was it a good hockey move to get rid of an aging vet that hasn't really looked like he cared all that much in a while? Yes.

Being in a contract year I had expected him to really be hard at it, but frankly this year has just been more of the same. It was a good move imo.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
he has attended training camps also

4 years of Trotz hockey vs not having all of his offensive skill sucked out of a kid. Trotz is licking his chops to make him a "2 way" center.

Last edited by Gnashville: 03-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:40 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
he has attended training camps also

4 years of Trotz hockey vs not having all of his offensive skill sucked out of a kid. Trotz is licking his chops to make him a "2 way" center.
If you say so. People still can't come up with any guys Trotz supposedly sucked the offense out of. Unless it's a legwand fan boy.

Old
03-06-2014, 04:41 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
"Jarnkrok is never going to stay, he's going back to Sweden, he'll never play here!"
Who are you quoting? Only person saying those words is you.

Old
03-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Who are you quoting? Only person saying those words is you.
He was making fun of the over-reaction crowd from last night when that "report" came out that he was thinking of going back to sweden to play

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:51 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
He was making fun of the over-reaction crowd from last night when that "report" came out that he was thinking of going back to sweden to play
But that's not what was said. The same people complaining about complaining are the same people making up their own version of events-- which leads to more complaining.

Old
03-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
If you say so. People still can't come up with any guys Trotz supposedly sucked the offense out of. Unless it's a legwand fan boy.
Hartnell, Santorelli, Peverly, Legwand, Radulov

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:11 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Hartnell, Santorelli, Peverly, Legwand, Radulov
Hartnell has basically same in Philly (even if you average in his outlier season with Jagr/Giroux).

Peverley has scored over 20 goals once in his career getting exaggerating ice time on an expansion team paying with Kovalchuk.

Santorelli has scored more than 10 goals once in his career (playing with 4 different teams).

Radulov produced just fine here on the 2nd line as a 21 year old.

So it comes down to bitter Legwand fan boy who thinks Trotz held back our 1st born child.

Old
03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
"jarnkrok is never going to stay, he's going back to sweden, he'll never play here!"

=

"yeah, this zidlicky kid has put up great numbers, but rangers fans say he's refused all contract offers to come over and will never play in the nhl"
bingo.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote