HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Edmonton is out of the running... Schremp

Old
02-18-2007, 02:41 AM
Raoul Duke*

vCash: 500
If Edmonton is out of the running... Schremp

Come the start of March... do you just keep the roster as is if the Oilers are nowhere near a playoff spot?
Or do you call up players to get NHL experience in the final weeks of the season?

I'm sorry for the thread title... ran out of letters to make it the idea of what the thread is about.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Petro Points

Schremp got demoted to the 4th line tonight.. if he cant even hold his own in the AHL what makes u think he'll learn anything with the big club. having said that im sure he can do no worse then Nedved ...

edit: and gilbert can do no worse then MAB..(and petersen on the PP)

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:45 AM
ah123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Come the start of March... do you just keep the roster as is if the Oilers are nowhere near a playoff spot?
Or do you call up players to get NHL experience in the final weeks of the season?

I'm sorry for the thread title... ran out of letters to make it the idea of what the thread is about.
You'd only call up players who might be able to contribute next year...Schremp is having a tough enough time in the AHL -- from everything I have read, he still has plenty of things to work on (defence!!) before seeing any play in the NHL...Just my $0.02

ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:49 AM
Petro Points

lol @ the love for Schremp

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Boozers

The Oilers wont bring him up this year they made it clear. I like what Schremp has been doing though working on his defensive game I tend to look at his +/- these days instead of his stats, because u can be damn sure if he is brutal in his own zone MacT will never show him the ice.

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:48 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers View Post
The Oilers wont bring him up this year they made it clear. I like what Schremp has been doing though working on his defensive game I tend to look at his +/- these days instead of his stats, because u can be damn sure if he is brutal in his own zone MacT will never show him the ice.

Actually in the recent Prendergast interview that's posted on the Oiler's official site , he makes it sound very likely that Schremp will get the call up if the Oilers fall out of it completely .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Cerebral

I'd have no problem with the Oilers calling up Schremp soon and giving him a chance if Pisani and Stoll are out much longer. I don't think Petersen has been as terrible as some of you have stated but I wouldn't mind seeing Schremp get a chance to take over for him on the powerplay and get some minutes with guys like Thoresen and Reasoner.

02-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Hemsky4PM

Am I the only one that find the "if" in the thread title a little generous?

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
You'd only call up players who might be able to contribute next year...Schremp is having a tough enough time in the AHL -- from everything I have read, he still has plenty of things to work on (defence!!) before seeing any play in the NHL...Just my $0.02
Yeah, indeed. But where will he learn it better? On an Oilers team he has to crack the lineup on next year - or on The Penguins AHL team?

Not even the Oilers AHL team, since they have none. To me it seems with the injuries following the Oil around - Pouliot is learning the NHL game each day we go on.... so if it comes to the point the Oilers are dead out of the running for 8th - why not just call up Schremp and play him for 10 NHL games or so?

Nothing to lose, and everything to gain in his development. And the same thing with other prospects we got kicking around the minors.

Old
02-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Raoul Duke*

And hell, if nothing else - the next shootout the Oilers are in, he can electrify the Rexall crowd.

Old
02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
dynastydays

It would be dumb not to. They sacrificed this seaosn in the name of breaking in kids on defense, it would be idiotic to be out of the playoff hunt and not finish the season developing the prospects. That said, be ready for a steady dose of career 4th liners.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
westcory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander View Post
Schremp got demoted to the 4th line tonight.. if he cant even hold his own in the AHL what makes u think he'll learn anything with the big club. having said that im sure he can do no worse then Nedved ...

edit: and gilbert can do no worse then MAB..(and petersen on the PP)
He got demoted to the fourth line on a team with 11 centers and you think that has anything to do with his ability? Of those 11 other centers he has less experience in the AHL than all of them. I also saw he has started to score again so I am not worried about him and I say you might as well give him show time if we are out of it. Giving him the experience will just get him use to the NHL speed faster.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:51 PM
scoringmachine

It looks like the Oilers are out of the playoff unless the Wilds struggle winning the rest of the way. It will be useless for the Oilers to call players from the minors up if they are out of the playoff picture. Just play with the players you have and worry about who is going to be on the team next season.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:00 PM
dhasek3910

Any word on when Brodziak will be back from his injury? I think he should get another look before Schremp does.

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Ranfordrocks

we nvr seen schremp in a nhl game yet they need a realy good look at him to evalutate how he does in the nhl..maybee he aint playing good in the ahl cuase he wants to be in the Bigs..

so call him up and play him,call brodziak up too play both of them.
tank it get a lower pick in the draft.

if they do better then expected a make the playoffs that just a bonus.

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:10 PM
guzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

I would love to see this. It would finally shut up the Schremp supporters that he is no where near being ready for the NHL. What is he up to know - 8 goals in 50 games? That wreaks of all star.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Bryanbryoil

He was demoted mid-way through the last game, and for most of teh 1st period tonight. At the end of the 1st he was back centering the Carcillo and Filewich line. That said, those 2 players have been far from tearing it up even before Schremp was their center. I'd rather see Schremp centering Jacques and some-one else. That said he may have just been on the line because Spurgeon killed a penalty not too long before. It's no big surprise to me that Spurgeon may have taken Robbie's spot, he's a similar player to Kennedy who is a favorite of Richards. IMO time away from Richards maybe good for Robbie and Todd. That said he needs to get some decent linemates in the NHL when/if he comes up.

02-18-2007, 04:37 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Never bring a top prospect up to early in his progression. Confidence in a player is major factor in NHL success. If he's brought before he's ready, he could make stupid mistakes or get hurt, which would shatter any kind of confidence he has and would slow his development. I say have him finish out the season in the AHL, and let him earn his spot in next season's training camp.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

If the playoffs aren't in the cards this year, I wouldn't mind Schremp getting a hand full of games in the NHL. Will he light it up? not likely, but for his development, playing late season hockey, against teams playing their best hockey of the season to solidify playoff spots, could really fast track his development.

I'd rather have him make those big mistakes in the last month of a lost season, than make them at a time where the reprecussions will be heavier. Nedved and Sykora should both be gone soon, through benching and trade respectively.

All that being said, We still have Petersen, Winchester, Thoresen, Jacques, Stortini and Pouliot fighting for these spots down the stretch. Add in Schremp, and thats 7 guys fighting for 3 jobs.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Pisani
Moreau-xxxxxxxx-Lupul
xxxxxxxx-Reasoner-xxxxxxxx

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:45 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
If the playoffs aren't in the cards this year, I wouldn't mind Schremp getting a hand full of games in the NHL. Will he light it up? not likely, but for his development, playing late season hockey, against teams playing their best hockey of the season to solidify playoff spots, could really fast track his development.

I'd rather have him make those big mistakes in the last month of a lost season, than make them at a time where the reprecussions will be heavier. Nedved and Sykora should both be gone soon, through benching and trade respectively.

Complete opposite to my theory.

Old
02-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Complete opposite to my theory.
Yes indeed. I guess depending on the player, both theories hold water. I totally understand your reasoning, but I think it depends on how the player bounces back. If he does struggle, it could hurt his confidence, but it could also send him back for the summer, understanding what the top of the food chain is like, and what he needs to work on.

The one reason I'd be against calling him up, is because it could probably have a negative effect on other prospects like Brodziak, who has been head and shoulders better this season. If Brodziak sees Schremp in the bigs, I don't think it would be positive for him, and the coaching staff will probably stray away from that for that very reason.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:03 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

[QUOTE=Mowzie;8123613]Yes indeed. I guess depending on the player, both theories hold water. I totally understand your reasoning, but I think it depends on how the player bounces back. If he does struggle, it could hurt his confidence, but it could also send him back for the summer, understanding what the top of the food chain is like, and what he needs to work on.

QUOTE]

Yes, it would depend on the players personality. Salo was the sesitive type, and than Pronger was the azzhole who could care less. I've heard Shremp has a bit of an attitude (ego maybe), so he just may do well with a couple NHL games this year, see where he needs improvement (for his own piece of mind).