HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT Minnesota Wild @ Nashville Predators2-17-07

Old
02-18-2007, 03:08 PM
predfan24

vCash: 500
hmm here's my thoughts on the game, We have got to find a way to beat the trap. Teams have figured out 1-2-2 is killing our Offense. It's working to perfection and I'm sure every team around the league is taking notice. This shoudl be priority # 1 fir Trotz and Co. Now I'm not an expert on beatign the trap by any means but it looked liek a good way to beat it is just find a guy who can carry the puck through a few people as forsberg did last night then set up. All three lines are capable of that with forsy on the first, sully on the 2nd and leggy on the third.

Secondly, i think our PP is gonna finally start to come around. i think we saw a change with how it's gonna be run. usually it's run through kariya, but it looks liek were gonna start running it through forsbeg on the other side. It's unbeliveable how much respect he command on the PP. Two people float over their to him but not dare come directly after him they just try to clog up the passing lanes. I think we saw glimpses of how much space he can create for other people.

All in all were are struggling right now. But honestly i dont care where we end up in the standings or what anymore. As long as we can hit the Playoffs with the top three lines all gelling we will be deadly. We have 22 or so games to figure it out. Poile has given trotz MORE than enough to work with. This postseason will be Trotzy's defining moment as the Preds coach. Hopefully he can figure it out.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
handtrick

As to the game last night:

I, too felt the crowd was just waiting to explode....and in reality it was fairly quiet. It was like we were waiting for Forsberg to do something magical...something God-like....to justify all our expectations. When he failed to deliver....it was quite disheartening to see that he is merely human and will take time to adjust to our speed game and find chemistry with his new teamates.

Don't kid yourself here, Trotz is in an extremely tough spot here on where to play him.
To most of us...it seems logical to put Forsberg between Radulov and Hartnell to jump start the third line and give them what they sorely need...a big time play-maker to feed two finishers.
The first two lines are doing fine, why disrupt their chemistry?......that, in fact, makes the most sense to me as well. Forsberg is not a speed merchant, and to put him between Kariya and Erat, instead of Legwand, nullifies the whole reason why that line has been succesful all year.....speed, counterattack, and scoring on the rush.
BUT, when Forsberg says that he came to Nashville, in no small part, to play with Paul Kariya, and help him win the Cup that Paul had come to Colorado, playiing for mere shillings......when he replies to a question about who he wants to play with, and Kariya's the name that pops up.......and, in addition, Steve Sullivan says that you have to play your world class aquisition with your world class player, and to say otherwise is merely being "politically correct"......you can see that Trotz is in a tough spot. http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...702180408/1028

As humble as "Peter the Great" apparently is.....coming to Nashville and playing on the third line is certainly not what he had in mind when he waived his NTC, nor is it what the elite Predator players had in mind, nor is it what the rest of the hockey world had in mind. All comments last night revolved around the fact that the chemistry will indeed come....and most likely it will....but at what cost?
Will arguably the most difficult match-up for other teams....the 9-10-11 speed line......go by the way-side, because it is not the conventional wisdom....or is Barry Trotz going to have the cajones to give Forsberg a try between Rads and Hartnell and be prepared for the fallout that that may bring from the people that matter?

No doubt, Trotz is in a very tough spot.....and we haven't even mentioned who plays on defense and who deserves to play in goal. Both of these dilemmas go much deeper than most realilze.
He will have to be the master puppeteer to make all this translate into a big shiny silver thing in June....I hope he has his ego-massager well greased and oiled for this run he is about to embark upon.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
As humble as "Peter the Great" apparently is.....coming to Nashville and playing on the third line is certainly not what he had in mind when he waived his NTC,
I actually don't think he cares one second on what line he is playing on.
He wants to play and he wants to contribute but his ego doesn't need feeding, it's been satiated for years.

If the coach wants him to sit on the bench and tell stories about big games and play off to the kids he'll do that.

And if the team wins he'll be happy and satisfied, if the team loses he'll be grumpy, fuming at journalists and ready to hit people, no matter how, when, where or with whom he played.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
predfan24

No doubt trotz is in a difficult situation. But we have 22 more games and he should be able to figure it out by then. I think the D situation is interesting. I like Vishneski and the physicalness he brings but IMO zanon has been playing very well lately. I think he showed his willingness last night when he dropped to his knees to block a hard slapshot form point blank. For anybody thats every actually played hockey you know how crazy you would have to be to drop to your knees to block an NHL slapshot. Thats the type of player I want on my team everyday of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
As to the game last night:

I, too felt the crowd was just waiting to explode....and in reality it was fairly quiet. It was like we were waiting for Forsberg to do something magical...something God-like....to justify all our expectations. When he failed to deliver....it was quite disheartening to see that he is merely human and will take time to adjust to our speed game and find chemistry with his new teamates.

Don't kid yourself here, Trotz is in an extremely tough spot here on where to play him.
To most of us...it seems logical to put Forsberg between Radulov and Hartnell to jump start the third line and give them what they sorely need...a big time play-maker to feed two finishers.
The first two lines are doing fine, why disrupt their chemistry?......that, in fact, makes the most sense to me as well. Forsberg is not a speed merchant, and to put him between Kariya and Erat, instead of Legwand, nullifies the whole reason why that line has been succesful all year.....speed, counterattack, and scoring on the rush.
BUT, when Forsberg says that he came to Nashville, in no small part, to play with Paul Kariya, and help him win the Cup that Paul had come to Colorado, playiing for mere shillings......when he replies to a question about who he wants to play with, and Kariya's the name that pops up.......and, in addition, Steve Sullivan says that you have to play your world class aquisition with your world class player, and to say otherwise is merely being "politically correct"......you can see that Trotz is in a tough spot. http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...702180408/1028

As humble as "Peter the Great" apparently is.....coming to Nashville and playing on the third line is certainly not what he had in mind when he waived his NTC, nor is it what the elite Predator players had in mind, nor is it what the rest of the hockey world had in mind. All comments last night revolved around the fact that the chemistry will indeed come....and most likely it will....but at what cost?
Will arguably the most difficult match-up for other teams....the 9-10-11 speed line......go by the way-side, because it is not the conventional wisdom....or is Barry Trotz going to have the cajones to give Forsberg a try between Rads and Hartnell and be prepared for the fallout that that may bring from the people that matter?

No doubt, Trotz is in a very tough spot.....and we haven't even mentioned who plays on defense and who deserves to play in goal. Both of these dilemmas go much deeper than most realilze.
He will have to be the master puppeteer to make all this translate into a big shiny silver thing in June....I hope he has his ego-massager well greased and oiled for this run he is about to embark upon.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:12 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Whats with this idea that Peter cant play with Speed? Simon Gagne is prolly one of the fastest players in the league and he kept up with him just fine. Its 1 game folks 1 game.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Whats with this idea that Peter cant play with Speed? Simon Gagne is prolly one of the fastest players in the league and he kept up with him just fine. Its 1 game folks 1 game.
Good point.

However, i agree that he should be playing with Radulov and Hartnell. It reminds me a little of the Lemieux-Kamensky-line he was on.

If it doesn't work with Kariya, i am sure the coach will try to play him on the third line. And BTW, Forsberg never stated that he HAD to play with Kariya, he said that he wanted to, at _some point_. I believe he was mainly referring to the powerplay, but i could be wrong.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote