HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

When did Tom Renney turn into a genius?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2007, 10:21 AM
  #51
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
I think the whole reason behind Cullen not being on the point was simply because Renney wanted to keep Jagr and his guys on the powerplay (Straka, Nylander) as well as Shanahan... THen he just went with Rozy because Rozy knows how to play with them and wasn't going to go 5 forwards. I'm sure he wanted to use Cullen on the point because it is obvious the guy knows what he's doing, just wanted to keep Jagr content with "his guys."

The move of Nylander to the 2nd line has allowed Renney even more room to break that up.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 06:09 PM
  #52
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, but what forwards would we have on the 2nd unit?
How about one that featured Nylander and Shanny up front and Cullen and Rachunek/Pock on the points? Last year, Renney had no trouble sending Prucha out on the PP as a center for Straka& Jagr.
Quote:
Nah, don't try to rewrite history here.
What are you talking about?
Quote:
Avery, Hossa turning red hot after Renney's coaching, and other factorys have given Renney a possiblity to have a 2nd unit on the PP, with Cullen on the point, before he were needed downlow...
One did not need to have Avery to create a second unit. And when exactly was Cullen needed down low on the PP?
Quote:
And atleast give Renney credit for Hossa. I mean allot of us wanted Dawes in for him after camp. Or Callahan in midseason.
Yeah, and? 2 weeks does not a player make. Let's see Hossa not pull his invisible act again and then you can pat yourself on the back for him. And both Dawes and Callahan thougts still stand. Dawes played ouplayed Hossa in camp and deserves a shot. He outplayed him when he was in the lineup and deserved a shot. When Hossa was busy being invisibile, there was no reason why not to give Callahan a shot.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 06:17 PM
  #53
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Yikes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
people also forget that no matter how bad this team played at times this year they still were playing over .500 hockey which is better then they did for a long time prior to his arrival.
Only a few years ago their record would have indicated an under .500 team.
Quote:
and people also forget the man coached this team to the playoffs for the first time in how many years?
Give Ron Low the best forward and one of the best goalies in the league and he makes the playoffs as well.
Quote:
are the team bashers real fans or are they people who just always need something to cry about and if so it probably pisses you off more when they win because you now have to invent something to complain about.
And the creme de la creme. My friend, you hit it on the head. We who dare bash ARE NOT REAL FANS. Ask anyone. They'll all tell you. And yes, personally, I cringe whenever the Rangers win. Nothing I can't stand more.
Quote:
and time in and time again the excuse is i just love this team so much man that all i want them to do is win and what ever it takes.
Again, you hit it right on the head. We who do not constantly cheer are really haters of the team.
Quote:
so all the ranger fans that bash the team they claim they love and come up with your trade scenarios for the players like jagr and shanny and fire the coach and get rid of the gm go back and sit in front of your tv's playing your video games and go back to your fantasy boards and go convince yourself that by doing that and reading the daily paper makes you some great hockey mind where when you come to these board and put your opinions down like you do that it only makes you look like a fool.
I for one, applaud your clarity on the subject matter.
Quote:
but to all the ranger fans that are constantly bashing the team they claim they love just rember the old saying opinions are just like aholes and we all got one and it does not mean i want to see your ahole either and if you love the team as much as you claim now is a good time to show it.
So you come onto this particulare board and do not want to read people's opinions? Then why bother reading any post whatsoever?


Last edited by True Blue: 02-17-2007 at 10:31 PM.
True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:24 PM
  #54
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I think the whole reason behind Cullen not being on the point was simply because Renney wanted to keep Jagr and his guys on the powerplay (Straka, Nylander) as well as Shanahan... THen he just went with Rozy because Rozy knows how to play with them and wasn't going to go 5 forwards. I'm sure he wanted to use Cullen on the point because it is obvious the guy knows what he's doing, just wanted to keep Jagr content with "his guys."

The move of Nylander to the 2nd line has allowed Renney even more room to break that up.
I'm sure Renney had a whole slew of reasons for doing what he did with the power play. The problem is that the powerplay didn't work for 2/3 of the season and he did nothing to change it until February. I'm not sure I buy the logic that he knew that Cullen was a solution but he decided against using him on the point to keep Jagr happy. Jagr seemed pretty happy after they won 3 games in a row. I'm not sure he was awfully happy when he had a mostly Czech pp and was losing.

And since when has it been wrong for fans to have enough passion for their team to actually be critical of them and form an educated opinion of them instead of just loving them blindly?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
  #55
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,255
vCash: 500
Mugerya...

I'm still struggling with the keeping Jagr happy comment. Been trying to put together a response, but it's been tough. Cullen is on the second unit, and always was...why not the point on the second unit? It seems to be that simple. Cullen came here to be the second line centerman and Renney was stuck with that label until he really had to make a decision as the season was on the verge of being lost. He put him in a role that he had success in the past - yay!

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:01 PM
  #56
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Only a few years ago their record would have indicated an under .500 team ... [etc]
Holy crap, TB! I give you credit for deciphering that mess much less replying to it!

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:30 PM
  #57
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Holy crap, TB! I give you credit for deciphering that mess much less replying to it!
After all this time, the "not a real fan" argument begins to sour on me.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:33 PM
  #58
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
After all this time, the "not a real fan" argument begins to sour on me.
One question: Why do you hate the Rangers?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
  #59
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
One question: Why do you hate the Rangers?
Melnyk cut off his supply of happy pills to me.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:05 AM
  #60
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
One question: Why do you hate the Rangers?
Because the NYRs haven't signed the 2nd coming of the savior, Brian Leetch? Or that Mgmt has seen the light and brought Scotty Bowman out of retirement?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:13 AM
  #61
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
One question: Why do you hate the Rangers?
Maybe it was before your time, but yesterday they reminded me of an 110 lb. weakling getting sand kicked in his face on the beach by a bully.



Last edited by klingsor: 02-18-2007 at 11:16 AM.
klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:23 AM
  #62
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Yeah, and? 2 weeks does not a player make. Let's see Hossa not pull his invisible act again and then you can pat yourself on the back for him. And both Dawes and Callahan thougts still stand. Dawes played ouplayed Hossa in camp and deserves a shot. He outplayed him when he was in the lineup and deserved a shot. When Hossa was busy being invisibile, there was no reason why not to give Callahan a shot.
Lol TB. Renney played Hossa over Dawes on the 4th line, that move were impossible to understand for many here. I have never said that I belive Hossa to become a 1st line star in this league, as late as 3-4 days ago I stated that I felt that it still were really questionable. And yes, I defended Renney on that move it feels good patting myself on the back for it. How do you feel know when it is obvious that you were completly wrong?

For you and many others here it were impossible to understand how Renney couldn't see that Dawes clearly are a better player then Hossa, how Immonen clearly is a better player then Betts, how Pck clearly are much better Malik, how Helminen clearly were a much better player then Betts.

This thread is pretty darn pathetic with all the oh if I were the coach of this team we would be contender statements. "We all knew this", you guys "knew" a helluva lot else too that you now have forgotten about...

Another thing is that thoose lines that you guys according to yourself (which isn't even true) should have been used from the start, didn't look so good last night, did they? There is allot more to the game of hockey then lines. For a coach its about implementing systems/tactics and individually developing players. If you ask me, we are moving in the right direction in all thoose aspects, something not many notice...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:35 AM
  #63
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Give Ron Low the best forward and one of the best goalies in the league and he makes the playoffs as well.
Yeah yeah, just like any normal coach wouldn't play Roszival in the top 6, and that any normal coach would have played Pck over Roszival gooing into the 05-06 season.

Renney is so stuipid, we all can do better.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:08 AM
  #64
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Another thing is that thoose lines that you guys according to yourself (which isn't even true) should have been used from the start, didn't look so good last night, did they? There is allot more to the game of hockey then lines. For a coach its about implementing systems/tactics and individually developing players. If you ask me, we are moving in the right direction in all thoose aspects, something not many notice...
What system has Renney exactly implemented? The turn the other cheek when hit system? Not sure that has been such a winner. What about the pp. Is it Renney who implemented the pass the puck 700 times before we shoot system? If so is that a good thing? How many times has the opposition changed up their game plan against the Rangers without any response from Renney? Renney has been outcoached time and time again this season. His stupid insistence of refusing to use the home ice advantage to get Jagr away from the checking line has cost the Rangers more than a few games. Sorry Ola, I respect your opinion but I don't see how Renney has moved this team in the right direction this season!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
  #65
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This thread is pretty darn pathetic with all the oh if I were the coach of this team we would be contender statements. "We all knew this", you guys "knew" a helluva lot else too that you now have forgotten about...
I said this in another thread, but it applies here.

It's not that any of us can do a better job than Renney. But when a ton of fans here, at the Garden and writers in the paper got the same ideas months before Renney, its no coincidence. In fact, it's kind of sad that a bunch of amatures had the idea before a professional coach. But that in itself isn't the problem. The problem is Renney didn't change something that was clearly broken. Any change would have shown that he recognized the problem, the fact that we all got it right is irrelevant. This has everything to do with Renney driving the same broken car for 2/3 of a season when there were so many parts available to at least try for a fix. We've gotten a lot of ideas wrong, but at least we were thinking. There's no harm ultimately to little 3-5 game experiments, at least Renney would have gotten the old A for Effort award.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:31 PM
  #66
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Another thing is that thoose lines that you guys according to yourself (which isn't even true) should have been used from the start, didn't look so good last night, did they?
It isn't true that we were advocating placing Cullen on the 3rd line and on the point of the PP? Or placing Betts on the 4th line? Really?

And are you really going to tell me that Cullen has looked better as a 2nd liner than a 3rd or that Betts looked better centering the 2nd line than the 4th? Given how Cullen has looked when placed into a sitution that best sets him up for success. I do not see how you can argue it.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
  #67
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Maybe it was before your time, but yesterday they reminded me of an 110 lb. weakling getting sand kicked in his face on the beach by a bully.

LOL! Charles Atlas! Where are you now??????

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:48 PM
  #68
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It isn't true that we were advocating placing Cullen on the 3rd line and on the point of the PP? Or placing Betts on the 4th line? Really?

And are you really going to tell me that Cullen has looked better as a 2nd liner than a 3rd or that Betts looked better centering the 2nd line than the 4th? Given how Cullen has looked when placed into a sitution that best sets him up for success. I do not see how you can argue it.
You know what though, TB...Cullen suddenly looks more like a 2nd line player lately. I'm not saying I want him moved, but, he's just creating a lot of opportunities with whomever he plays.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
  #69
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,255
vCash: 500
That's what happens...

when you go against third defensive pairings and third and fourth lines...that's why he's a superior third liner, and why he belongs there...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:32 PM
  #70
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You know what though, TB...Cullen suddenly looks more like a 2nd line player lately. I'm not saying I want him moved, but, he's just creating a lot of opportunities with whomever he plays.
See Fletch's comments. There are reasons why he was the 3rd line center for a Cup winning team and there are reasons why he has not looked good on the 2nd line this year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.