HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dear Michel Therrien,

Old
03-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Maybe, maybe this trade will change MT's approach. The trickle down effect from Vanek simply makes all of our lines better. So maybe the coach will go for a more offensive/possession system.

That, or Therrien will put Vanek on the 3rd line for the next 10 games in order to 'ease him into the system'...

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Therien's system is actually pretty offensively minded. More than most teams.

And it seems to be working since both our forwards and dmen are below average imo, and we're 3rd in the east.
You really are Mad..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 09:04 AM
idk

Dear M. Therien,

A lot of people around here seem to believe the team wins in spite of you. I don't know about them. I mean, on one hand you seem to be outcoached night after night after night. On the other this is a team that was very near to being the worst in the league a couple seasons ago and led them to a 64-36-12 record. That's a lot of winning for spite.

In any case, your boss just went out and got you what is possibly the most valuable, widely available asset at the trade deadline. Vanek is a legitimate offensive threat, the kind we haven't had since Kovalev jumped to the Senators. Do us all a favour and play nice with him. While I appreciate your unorthodox coaching style is winning, I'd much rather Vanek sign a nice long contract with us and then be crushed by your grinding style.

Sincerely,
IDK

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
This is the most talented Habs team on paper in recent history with the least amount of injuries. There should be no excuse for a quick 1st round exit when Martin has a 12 W - 16 L playoff record without Markov and a lot of people think MT is an upgrade.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
In light of the fact that we just scooped up Thomas Vanek for next to nothing, do you think that maybe you could reconsider the ridiculous grinding system that you have implemented right now? You seemed to have found success with a more offensive puck possession system last year. The team was scoring, we were outplaying the opposition most of the time and the offense was coming from more than one line.

Vanek's not really a grinding player and we're not really a grinding team. This roster is better than its shown itself to be and quite frankly has no business being near the bottom of the league in goals for. If we're lucky and Vanek enjoys himself here, we might be able to re-sign this guy.

This team CAN score if we go back to the way we were playing last season. I hope you give due consideration to bringing back the previous system. It would be nice to see that kind of hockey again and it would be nice to see Vanek come back next year.

Please, just give it a try.

Your biggest fan,

Lafleurs Guy
This is the NHL, even the top teams need a lot of "grinding" to win. Doesn't prevent our fans from completely misunderstanding what MT wants...but go on...

Team Canada had a ridiculous amount of skill, but what won them the gold is their top players were willing to grind and play defense and others(Russians and US) were not as willing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
I loved the system MT played last year. The Habs were efficient, scored quite easily at times, and moved as a unit.

This year, just no.
Yes because one day this past summer MT woke up and said: You know what, that system that had us scoring and efficient and working as a unit needs to change. I'm going to change our system this year to a more grinding, less efficient, lower scoring one, to make sure we look like less of a unit.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:11 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yes because one day this past summer MT woke up and said: You know what, that system that had us scoring and efficient and working as a unit needs to change. I'm going to change our system this year to a more grinding, less efficient, lower scoring one, to make sure we look like less of a unit.
He definitely changed the system. You can't really debate that. The rest of your post is a strawman.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He definitely changed the system. You can't really debate that. The rest of your post is a strawman.
I never heard that mentioned outside of here. Did MT specifically say he changed the system?

If he specifically said somewhere that he changed the system then I agree entirely that it's somewhat incomprehensible.

As far as I know it's the same system as last year, just not the same execution.

Old
03-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
I never heard that mentioned outside of here. Did MT specifically say he changed the system?

If he specifically said somewhere that he changed the system then I agree entirely that it's somewhat incomprehensible.

As far as I know it's the same system as last year, just not the same execution.
If you watch 24CH you definitely know he changed the system. Last year when he came in it was preaching puck possession game using speed and skill to score off the rush. Now it's dump and chase, 2 man forecheck and slow down the neutral zone and grind.

Completely different styles. It's like going from Detroit Red Wings 2009 style to 2000 New Jersey Devils. Major difference.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
If you watch 24CH you definitely know he changed the system. Last year when he came in it was preaching puck possession game using speed and skill to score off the rush. Now it's dump and chase, 2 man forecheck and slow down the neutral zone and grind.

Completely different styles. It's like going from Detroit Red Wings 2009 style to 2000 New Jersey Devils. Major difference.
There's a difference. And I see it too. But it's not because the coach said you know what let's go from 5th or 6th best 5 on 5 goals for/vs ratio last year to middle of the pack this year. A coach comes with a system (or philosophy is a better term anyway) he's built over years of experience, he doesn't decide to change philosophies on a whim.

And I watched some of 24CH. Do you know how scripted and edited that show is and how much of a selective tiny percentage of what actually goes on is presented to us, especially when it comes to strategies etc? You do realize it's made to entertain and they pick out snippets here and there to create the illusion of continuity and bigger picture right? It's a TV show. My advice would be to watch the games instead and take whatever you get from shows like that with a huge grain of salt.

Old
03-06-2014, 11:52 AM
habitue*

First: 24CH should not exist at all... Like all the shows of the same kind about sports teams.

Second: As someone saying, it's all edited for entertainment values.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:23 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
This is the NHL, even the top teams need a lot of "grinding" to win. Doesn't prevent our fans from completely misunderstanding what MT wants...but go on...

Team Canada had a ridiculous amount of skill, but what won them the gold is their top players were willing to grind and play defense and others(Russians and US) were not as willing.
You don't like the Vanek deal right?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
onice

Quote:
In light of the fact that we just scooped up Thomas Vanek for next to nothing, do you think that maybe you could reconsider the ridiculous grinding system that you have implemented right now? You seemed to have found success with a more offensive puck possession system last year. The team was scoring, we were outplaying the opposition most of the time and the offense was coming from more than one line.

Vanek's not really a grinding player and we're not really a grinding team. This roster is better than its shown itself to be and quite frankly has no business being near the bottom of the league in goals for. If we're lucky and Vanek enjoys himself here, we might be able to re-sign this guy.

This team CAN score if we go back to the way we were playing last season. I hope you give due consideration to bringing back the previous system. It would be nice to see that kind of hockey again and it would be nice to see Vanek come back next year.

Your biggest fan,

Lafleurs Guy

I think that "your biggest fan" bit will really convince him even though I know you're lying through your teeth.

Last edited by onice: 03-06-2014 at 12:31 PM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:29 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
A funny strawman.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Lemons

If you cant make a dent in the playoffs with...

Two proven 30-40 goal scorer, in their prime.
a Selke potential centerman
two top 30 defenceman including the current reigning norris winner
An elite World class goalie
And a captain whos already won a stanley up.

Michel Therrien.... Don't **** this up.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

Uh no,

Team Canada had the puck all the time and it was always in the other team's zone. That's the opposite of what's happening with the Habs.

A "grinding" identity with this team makes absolutely no sense at all. We a skilled team with speed, we're lacking size... so why the **** does this moron have us playing a grinding system?
Quote:
He changed the system early in the year and basically dumped Eller after the Edmonton game. Since then our play has dropped off a cliff. The numbers have been posted along with graphs that clearly show how far we fell... YES he changed the system and it's very easy to show this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think that "your biggest fan" bit will really convince him even though I know you're lying through your teeth.
Lying? Geez I don't know what you mean.

I've been lobbying for MT to win the Jack Adams all year long. You clearly just haven't been paying attention.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-06-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
habsfanatics

Vanek stunk tonight.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:55 PM
GoHabsGo95

Well MT had a lot of boneheaded decisions today, can think of a good 5+ things he did wrong

GoHabsGo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
With any luck Therrien will treat Vanek like he's David Desharnais and he'll re-sign quite happily.
so ****ing true

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:05 AM
FF de Mars

Dear Mike, can you try Chucky at center with Vanek and Brière on his wings ?

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:11 AM
jacks

I was oppossed of the hiring of M.T and he hasn't proved me wrong.
Jeez i hope we just dump his useless ass.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

Your Desharnais' biggest fan,

Lafleurs Guy
I think that will convince him better.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:07 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Dear Michel,

I found this picture of you while unpacking a few boxes. I hope you like it.

Thecanasianfrasian

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:
you haven't watched a single game properly if you think that Therrien is imposing the same structure game and system as last year, honestly. Went from a puck possession game to the ****ing trap and dump and chase. Every single play where the offensive zone is attempted to be settled in and the Habs are heavily pressured, they will dump the puck only to lose it and start the whole process again. Last year there was a whole lot more wheeling and dealing.

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:29 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
Dear Michel,

I found this picture of you while unpacking a few boxes. I hope you like it.

Thecanasianfrasian

Priceless!!! (which btw is something Habs can't afford)

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote