HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
12-30-2013, 02:15 PM
mzm119

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
My biggest frustration is people drinking from my water bottle, especially if they just grab it without asking. I almost always have an extra clean one in the car, so if someone says "oops, I forgot a water bottle" I'm happy to run out to my car and grab one, but I don't share drinks. It may be germaphobic, but I don't want to get sick because someone else couldn't bother to bring water.

Last game I had a teammate grab my water bottle and drink from it right at the beginning of the first period. I was sitting next to her so I told her when she grabbed it that she had the wrong water bottle, but she just looked at me and drank from it anyways so I had no water the whole game. I don't ever see this teammate except when we're playing games, so I don't have a chance totalk to her about it. I wouldn't do this because it's probably a d-bag move, but the not-so-nice side of me really wants to leave the cap mostly unscrewed next game.
I've had this problem on every team I've played for that didn't have a set of team water bottles. There are always 2-3 guys who don't bother bringing water. I always keep my water bottle behind the bench rather than inside the boards with all the other water bottles. That usually solves the problem.

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:47 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
My biggest frustration is people drinking from my water bottle, especially if they just grab it without asking. I almost always have an extra clean one in the car, so if someone says "oops, I forgot a water bottle" I'm happy to run out to my car and grab one, but I don't share drinks. It may be germaphobic, but I don't want to get sick because someone else couldn't bother to bring water.

Last game I had a teammate grab my water bottle and drink from it right at the beginning of the first period. I was sitting next to her so I told her when she grabbed it that she had the wrong water bottle, but she just looked at me and drank from it anyways so I had no water the whole game. I don't ever see this teammate except when we're playing games, so I don't have a chance totalk to her about it. I wouldn't do this because it's probably a d-bag move, but the not-so-nice side of me really wants to leave the cap mostly unscrewed next game.

I feel ya..I only play pickup but so frustrating..I dont mind sharing a bit but leave me some! I bring bottled water from home in my bottle..1 group I play with most people have there own bottles the other I am in the minority and so frustrating going to the bench and my bottle is empty or near empty..I have tried to combat it by placing my bottle behind this metal beam but common..water bottles are $2.00 bring your own! I rarely see people drink from it when I am on the bench..I dont wanna be that guy that has to get vocal about people using my water bottle lol

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:17 AM
terranraida

vCash: 1088
I may have not had much experience with hockey, outside of watching games and some stick and puck, but during my second actual pick up game, we had a guy from Canada who was visiting his family (and oddly enough brought his hockey gear) and I think he took the game a little ~too seriously~. We didn't even have goalies, so in order to score - which we didn't keep track of, you had to wrap around the goal post and then pass it to someone to score.

Well homie from Canada, who was on my team, sitting on the rail banging his stick every 2 seconds yelling at the other team how much they sucked and yelling would be penalties ("COME THE * ON HE'S STANDING PAST THE BLUE LINE OFF SIDES!)(Mind you we are playing with actual children who are trying to get ice time and this guy is taking 10 minute shifts and is hacking away at these kids trying to get the puck from them, who everyone is actively avoiding so they can at least feel they can contribute.

Halfway through we all kinda stop and one of the bigger guys, Captain of one of the adult teams, stops this kid and tells him to chill out and the kid just leaves swearing up a storm.

I mean, I get it hockey has rules and such, but when you're playing with kids, no goalies, and no refs, maybe you should just slow it down and realize at the end of the day it's a ~game~

terranraida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranraida View Post
I may have not had much experience with hockey, outside of watching games and some stick and puck, but during my second actual pick up game, we had a guy from Canada who was visiting his family (and oddly enough brought his hockey gear) and I think he took the game a little ~too seriously~. We didn't even have goalies, so in order to score - which we didn't keep track of, you had to wrap around the goal post and then pass it to someone to score.

Well homie from Canada, who was on my team, sitting on the rail banging his stick every 2 seconds yelling at the other team how much they sucked and yelling would be penalties ("COME THE * ON HE'S STANDING PAST THE BLUE LINE OFF SIDES!)(Mind you we are playing with actual children who are trying to get ice time and this guy is taking 10 minute shifts and is hacking away at these kids trying to get the puck from them, who everyone is actively avoiding so they can at least feel they can contribute.

Halfway through we all kinda stop and one of the bigger guys, Captain of one of the adult teams, stops this kid and tells him to chill out and the kid just leaves swearing up a storm.

I mean, I get it hockey has rules and such, but when you're playing with kids, no goalies, and no refs, maybe you should just slow it down and realize at the end of the day it's a ~game~
Idiots come in all shapes, sizes, and nationalities. Sorry to hear about that experience.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
sanityplease

Brought an orange 'ade drink to a pick-up game. My bottle was on the 'home' team bench. Some guy brought the same drink that I did but was playing for the 'visitor' team. Caught him fish-lipping my bottle @ our bench after a whistle. He must've been doing it all game because I had noticed it going down more than it should have....

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Trl3789

So I know everyone hates ringers and has their own story, but this most recent one really bugged me even though the ringers didn't necessarily light it up.

We had played this team really evenly the first couple of times we had played them. We lost 3-2 and 5-4 the first two times in really good, close games. The third game of season returning clicked for us and we got the better of them (my first multi goal and hat trick! Woo) and won 5-3. The frustrating part was the 4th time we played them. They had 3 guys who were there the first 3 games and were noticeably better than everyone else. Now they didn't score all their goals, but they really drove possession because of how much better skaters they were and how much better they stick handled. It completely changed the style of the game and we got smashed 7-2. I'm not upset with the ringers, especially because they didn't try to embarrass us by scoring a bunch, but I'm more upset with te other team in general. They took what were fun, exciting close games and completely changed them with guys who didn't belong in the league.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:46 PM
macgyverthatshiz

The only 2 things that bother me is when players get too caught up in the Pointstreak crap. In my opinion, it has ruined adult hockey. Trust me, nobody cares how many points or goals you have, NOBODY. Second is when everybody relies on the next guy to bring beer, and then no beer gets brought!!

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
Second is when everybody relies on the next guy to bring beer, and then no beer gets brought!!
Nothing wrong with heading to a bar for a pint. Far better scenery than a bunch of sweaty hockey dudes.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:15 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
The only 2 things that bother me is when players get too caught up in the Pointstreak crap. In my opinion, it has ruined adult hockey. Trust me, nobody cares how many points or goals you have, NOBODY. Second is when everybody relies on the next guy to bring beer, and then no beer gets brought!!
We just laugh at the Pointstreak website. The people keeping score at our games never get anything right, or it gets submitted wrong. The stats are all jacked up.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
We just laugh at the Pointstreak website. The people keeping score at our games never get anything right, or it gets submitted wrong. The stats are all jacked up.
An old team of mine used my name for spares and suddenly Pointstreak showed me to be a pretty awesome goal scorer.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
When I ref, if I hear guys talking about points I'll just stop awarding assists.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 11:36 PM
10coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Yeah we just had a game where the refs completely swallowed their whistles. Our goalie covered the puck for 15 seconds and nothing. Later I am on my hands and knees and a guy speeds up some 15 feet and just completely drives into me at full speed, again nothing. That's in an 'instructional' nonchecking league. I had to retrieve my stick probably 5 times during the game because somebody rammed into me hard enough for it to go flying 20 ft.
Refs won't call stuff at the lower levels. It's a perceived lack of skill. - youth, hs, college ref

10coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 01:43 AM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Got maybe 10 shifts the whole game... pretty lame.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 07:25 PM
beedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcataShark View Post
Got maybe 10 shifts the whole game... pretty lame.
How many guys did you have? I know those feels, sometimes we have 3 lines of forwards and not everyone is able to take 45 second shifts, i swear I only got 2 shifts one period due to long shifts, and a penalty or two thrown in the mix.

beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:03 AM
hyster110

heres i beer league frustration

i was playing a west edmonton mall a month ago (feb 12 i believe) and it was against a team that was known for being dirty. the last game we played against them, one player elbowed me in the head and knocked me out.

so in the second period, im skating back to the left of my goalie to grab a dumped in puck. the puck bounced off the boards funny and right to me (about 10 feet away from the boards) as i grabbed it i fired it up the boards. now i shoulder checked before i went for the puck and the guy chasing me was a couple strides back. so after i clear the puck i go to turn right and the jackass chasing me decides to run through me and catches me while i was turning on my right leg. so he hits me twists me knee and says "keep your head up next time"

so im grabbing my knee and the ref come over and the first thing he says is " i saw incidental contact, are you ok" so at this point im thinking BS but i need to get off the ice. so a teammate helps me off and go get changed. i went back to watch the rest of the game and after the ref that made the initial call, seeks me out as hes going off the ice. he came up and said "hows the knee" so i replied and told him "it f***ing hurts" and his reply "well i just wanted to make sure you know that it was incidental contact... blah blah" as soon as he said that to me i know he was full of ****, no official should have to seek you out after a game to try and justify a call like that.

making this whole situation worse, and why i believe the ref was covering his ass, was that the owner of the league plays for the team. the optics of that are AWFUL, not to mention the refs dont call anything against them.

so the result of this play is i have a torn lateral menuscis in my right knee and have been off work (without pay) for a month and counting. Thanks Edmonton Municipal Hockey League

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 11:16 AM
tawheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
heres i beer league frustration

i was playing a west edmonton mall a month ago (feb 12 i believe) and it was against a team that was known for being dirty. the last game we played against them, one player elbowed me in the head and knocked me out.

so in the second period, im skating back to the left of my goalie to grab a dumped in puck. the puck bounced off the boards funny and right to me (about 10 feet away from the boards) as i grabbed it i fired it up the boards. now i shoulder checked before i went for the puck and the guy chasing me was a couple strides back. so after i clear the puck i go to turn right and the jackass chasing me decides to run through me and catches me while i was turning on my right leg. so he hits me twists me knee and says "keep your head up next time"

so im grabbing my knee and the ref come over and the first thing he says is " i saw incidental contact, are you ok" so at this point im thinking BS but i need to get off the ice. so a teammate helps me off and go get changed. i went back to watch the rest of the game and after the ref that made the initial call, seeks me out as hes going off the ice. he came up and said "hows the knee" so i replied and told him "it f***ing hurts" and his reply "well i just wanted to make sure you know that it was incidental contact... blah blah" as soon as he said that to me i know he was full of ****, no official should have to seek you out after a game to try and justify a call like that.

making this whole situation worse, and why i believe the ref was covering his ass, was that the owner of the league plays for the team. the optics of that are AWFUL, not to mention the refs dont call anything against them.

so the result of this play is i have a torn lateral menuscis in my right knee and have been off work (without pay) for a month and counting. Thanks Edmonton Municipal Hockey League
Someone from the Admirals complaining about another team being chippy? Yikes..

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

We are up 7-5 with 35 seconds left in game. I beat a player to a lose puck in the defensive end and pass it out. About ten seconds later behind the play he comes and crosschecks me in the back of head and skates off. I skate full speed and level him. He complains to the ref, and the ref said I can call both penalties or neither you deserved that. I understand what I did was a penalty, but the funny thing is the guy gets up and says to me that was fun nice hit.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Martin Riggs
You wanna see crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Nothing wrong with heading to a bar for a pint. Far better scenery than a bunch of sweaty hockey dudes.
On this note, I really hate it when guys drink too much BEFORE a game.

Martin Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Chip39

Haha. Frustrating indeed.

Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Lady Justice

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
When I ref, if I hear guys talking about points I'll just stop awarding assists.
Been guilty of the opposite; I honestly fail pretty hard at keeping track of assists as a ref. I always get the goal scorer right, but sometimes I just give out assists at random.

"52 from 17... and... *#8 skates by* 8..."

03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose Everdeen View Post
Been guilty of the opposite; I honestly fail pretty hard at keeping track of assists as a ref. I always get the goal scorer right, but sometimes I just give out assists at random.

"52 from 17... and... *#8 skates by* 8..."
I'm guilty of that sometimes. I call it the "nice guy secondary" 8 is a nice guy so there you go.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2014, 11:03 PM
DJ Breadman

Just had a rec league playoff game, outplayed the other team but only scored 1 goal they literally scored 2 goals from the corner one with 16 seconds left. Our goalie ****ed up they won 2-1, total gifts and one guy goes by our bench YEAHHHHHH then another guys jabs our goalie and they are rubbing it in like they won the Stanley cup, makes my blood boil wanted to knock someone out shaking hands but glad I didn't

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Thesensation19*

I hate that one or two guy(s) who have to make comments about their own teammate's play all game, all season long. Most of it is nonsense, as if they knew what they were talking about and half the time (at least) its hypocritical bull.

Its always, in my experience, from the guy who is out of shape, not that good and older (30s or 40s).

The best teams I played for that went far in playoffs or won championships were the teams that of course had skilled guys but had a lot of hard working guys. I played on teams with a lot of skill but the lack work ethic did nothing. But most importantly, teams that didnt have these type of guys.

Be quite. Critique your own game.

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Thesensation19*

haha i love the stories on here...

I shot the puck. Goalie stopped it and held it. I skated away behind the net and their defender came to me and slashed me at the knees. No idea why, we just started the game and I had no idea who he was. I looked at him with a grin. And he started to crack up like the joker out of the comics. I was like wtf...

I also hate when guys, in adult league or not, always try to play physical with you but they manage to always cross check you in the face/cage, try to hit you (even in a non hitting league) but with their sticks and hands high. Push you from behind. I tell them every time. idc if you want to hit me. I grab them at their stick and get close and say... but hit me like a man. They wont change.

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Terry Yake

my only real "beer league frustration"

when guys with a cage try to start something with those who don't wear cages. it's happened to me so many times and it's just so incredibly annoying

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote