HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Gustafsson (2012-13 season and beyond)

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2014, 02:20 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Posted in the GDT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Carchidi is suggesting it was just to get Gill work. He expects that the D will stay the same.
Hopefully it's true. Chief rarely changes the lineup after wins.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Why would Berube even consider separating Gus and Schenn to put Mez back with him? Surely no coach is that dumb
It takes a special kind of man to absorb the damage Berube has, and not come away with some long-term side-effects.

Old
03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Meltzer on Or...I mean Gustafsson
Quote:
Numerous people have asked me variations on the following question that a reader PMed me this morning: "What does Craig Berube have against Erik Gustafsson? He is always the first to pay for a mistake by being a healthy scratch for games on end. Why is he always the one who sits? Why not Grossmann or Schenn or even Coburn?"

The answer to the first question is that Berube doesn't have anything "against" Gustafsson. Unfortunately, Gustafsson is in the same conundrum as many other undersized NHL defensemen who aren't All-Star caliber players ala Kimmo Timonen for much of Kimmo's career.

Gustafsson is a good puck mover, skater and passer but not off the charts. He can put up some points even at the NHL level but is not a top-end offensive defenseman. He is not bad in own end of the ice from a coverage standpoint but gets outmuscled easily at times because he gives away size.

The main knock I've heard on Gustafsson is that he's not aggressive enough in using the things he does well to offset his lack of size. As a result, he ends up in the same situation as Philip Larsen (who has been unable to claim a full-time NHL role in either Dallas or Edmonton) and many others of similar profiles.

Personally, I think Gustafsson has played pretty well this season when given the opportunity to play. I do agree with those who say he's strung together several good games and then sat again as soon as he's had a bad game whereas the team has been more patient with more experienced veterans during struggling phases.

However, those players have more proven track records and experience usually wins out in the NHL when it comes to defensemen's spots in the lineup. That's not just in Philly. That has been with most teams over the years, and most especially true where an undersized young defenseman who is more puck mover than offensive D at the NHL level (AHL and collegiate hockey roles don't figure into this) is concerned.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...aiser/45/58515

Old
03-07-2014, 11:57 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Good article.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Understood, but its infuriating to see Grossman play so poorly, pretty much all damn year long and he never, EVER, has to worry about being benched. Grossman has size and still loses puck battles to everybody.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Understood, but its infuriating to see Grossman play so poorly, pretty much all damn year long and he never, EVER, has to worry about being benched. Grossman has size and still loses puck battles to everybody.
yup.
Gustaffson is far from perfect but some of the vets on this team have made plenty of mistakes and dont get benched. at what point does Gus get the same pass as some of the vets on this team do?
im going to guess never.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I wonder if it's ever occurred to management that Gus is reluctant to be aggressive because he gets benched for half a season the moment he makes any mistake?

I pity Ghost and Hagg.

03-07-2014, 12:26 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Ghost and Hagg.
I'm pretty confident this is the title for the next Jeremy Renner Hansal and Gretel movie.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Hiesenberg

The only way Gus can consistently be in the lineup is to have no choice but put him in there. They can't be 7 or 8 deep on D, they need a 7th that pretty much has no upside (Gill is perfect) and Gus needs to be in that 6.

I mean, think about it now. Is this our 6 from here on out? Mesz & Gus used to trade spots, Guys that will NEVER be benched:

Streit
Kimmo
Gross
Coburn
MacD

So now the only option is Schenn for Gus.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
The only way Gus can consistently be in the lineup is to have no choice but put him in there. They can't be 7 or 8 deep on D, they need a 7th that pretty much has no upside (Gill is perfect) and Gus needs to be in that 6.

I mean, think about it now. Is this our 6 from here on out? Mesz & Gus used to trade spots, Guys that will NEVER be benched:

Streit
Kimmo
Gross
Coburn
MacD

I can see Luke and Brayden traded for a Dman in the off season, if that happens
and Kimmo retires, than Gus might get to play.
Then they might get another veteran instead, LOL more likely.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:

Streit
Kimmo
Gross
Coburn
MacD

Well theres a spot when Kimmo retires.

Man I want to get rid of Grossmann though, he's too one-dimensional for any kind of system that isn't a complete trap. Even other teams leave him unattended in the offensive zone because they know he's useless.

How many times do you see the puck get back to an open D at the point, think there's a great chance to make a play or take a shot, then see it's Grossmann and realize nothings going to come of it? The best that ever comes of it is a dump that we have to battle for again.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
How many times do you see the puck get back to an open D at the point, think there's a great chance to make a play or take a shot, then see it's Grossmann and realize nothings going to come of it?
This happens all too often. The guy is 29 and probably has been playing hockey most of his life, and yet he shoots like he just picked up hockey yesterday.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:19 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
I wonder if it's ever occurred to management that Gus is reluctant to be aggressive because he gets benched for half a season the moment he makes any mistake?

I pity Ghost and Hagg.
I would doubt it. I also am worried about Ghost, I try to get excited about him but then...Is his size the reason he gets benched? Is it because Kimmo and Streit are ahead of him for PP defensemen and Gus wont be used on the PK? That is what I am gathering here. I dont know how anyone can watch this team especially when Gus was paired with Schenn and how well they did..I dont understand it and never will.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
This happens all too often. The guy is 29 and probably has been playing hockey most of his life, and yet he shoots like he just picked up hockey yesterday.
2 goals in his last 296 games.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
2 goals in his last 296 games.
While providing average to below average defense.

Old
03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
FlyersFan61290

I think he hit the nail right on the head. It doesn't make it any less stupid though.

Old
03-07-2014, 04:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yup.
Gustaffson is far from perfect but some of the vets on this team have made plenty of mistakes and dont get benched. at what point does Gus get the same pass as some of the vets on this team do?
im going to guess never.
You have to earn the ability to get a pass like that. It really isn't a hard concept and I don't get why people can't grasp that. You were frustrated that the Flyers were giving Mez an opportunity to return to form because he was 28 and there was no chance he could return to form (any idiot could see this, 28 year olds don't ever return to form and Mez was never that good anyway his stats and play were inflated by everything). But you want the guy who is 25 with little experience and aside from small stretches has not shown anything to get more chances. Ok. Makes sense. He's 25. Good point. (now...post some links to some CORSI stats that show he is the best defenseman in the NHL)

Old
03-07-2014, 04:24 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You have to earn the ability to get a pass like that. It really isn't a hard concept and I don't get why people can't grasp that. You were frustrated that the Flyers were giving Mez an opportunity to return to form because he was 28 and there was no chance he could return to form (any idiot could see this, 28 year olds don't ever return to form and Mez was never that good anyway his stats and play were inflated by everything). But you want the guy who is 25 with little experience and aside from small stretches has not shown anything to get more chances. Ok. Makes sense. He's 25. Good point. (now...post some links to some CORSI stats that show he is the best defenseman in the NHL)
Except nobody is making claims that are that outrageous just that he is better then the people who currently suck, that's not saying much at all in fact.

Btw I'm not really sure what the point of bringing Mez into this is. It was made painfully obvious this season who was the better player even if you chose/choose to ignore it. Stats aren't necessary.

Old
03-07-2014, 04:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Nobody is saying he is a superstar. We are saying he should be playing, and backing it up with the evidence. You're saying he's a superstar as an defense mechanism in lieu of your lack of evidence to the contrary. Which is basically 90% of anything you talk about.

Old
03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Anthems

When Kimmo retires, I hope Holmgren doesn't go out and sign another defensemen. Gus definitely deserves a spot and would be a way cheaper option than any free agent signing right now. Let's home grow some of our own defenders for once.

Old
03-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Flyerfan4life

i dont understand why people arent grasping that having Gus in the lineup makes both our defense and Luke Schenn a better player..

its clear as daylite in the morning..

there is no debate that Gus is a player who should be on the reg. roster at this point.

welll except for Berube who doesnt seem to grasp it.../sigh

Last edited by Flyerfan4life: 03-07-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old
03-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I don't get why people say he hasn't earned a roster spot. He's earned one at least three times now, before getting benched despite never doing anything wrong. It's not like he plays poorly and gets sat. He plays good solid hockey, and boom! No more games for you!

Old
03-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
I don't get why people say he hasn't earned a roster spot. He's earned one at least three times now, before getting benched despite never doing anything wrong. It's not like he plays poorly and gets sat. He plays good solid hockey, and boom! No more games for you!
I wonder if Berube makes him wear a shock collar while sitting in the pressbox during games and he shocks him every time Grossmann screws something up?

Old
03-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Tripod

So if we all see it, what is the real reason he wasn't playing over Mez?

And I hope this isn't a jinx, but one thing that should be noted is that we had no injuries to the D this year. Which has been EXTREMELY rare in past seasons.

Old
03-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
So if we all see it, what is the real reason he wasn't playing over Mez?

And I hope this isn't a jinx, but one thing that should be noted is that we had no injuries to the D this year. Which has been EXTREMELY rare in past seasons.
what have you done...

Closed Thread