HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do we compare with other middling teams?

Old
02-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Tyrolean

vCash: 500
How do we compare with other middling teams?

I always get frustrated when teams start out the same as the Oilers 5 years ago (or 3 years since lockout) and are now way better. A team like Nashville has become a powerhouse and yet the Oilers are still floundering.

What are they doing right or what are we doing wrong? Does Nashville (to site an example), have superior drafting, coaching, playing system, player chemistry or motivation?

I know the Oilers are way better than Columbus, St. Loo and Chicago, but if we compare apples to apples what is missing that is not conducive to building a perennial winner (salary cap aside)?

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:40 AM
okgooil

It is weird, I wonder what team has been the most like us year in and year out, I can think of perennial winners like detriot, but I cna't think of another team that for what 10 years now has alwasy been around 8th spot. The canadians maybe??

Most teams have bigger ups and bigger downs, we just stay in the middle. not sure what it is.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Tyrolean

In the old days teams like Pittsburgh were like the Oilers now, wallowing on the edge of playoffs every year but never taking the great leap forward until they bottomed out and got Lemieux. If the Oilers never bottom out, they may drift in the middle ground forever. Having said that just getting as super star like Pronger elevated every player and made MacT and Lowe look like geniuses.

Ah, I beckon for the past but maybe I shouldn't complain as hopefully we never have a Stanley Cup ceremony honouring the last win like the Leafs 40 years ago.

Old
02-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Tyrolean

Just thought of something that might be a key. Minnesota/Dallas drafted Modan and have been contenders for a decade whereas the Oilers screwed up their highest draft pick in Bonsignore and have been so so for a decade. They should hang those scouts in Effigy.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:04 AM
The Imp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Just thought of something that might be a key. Minnesota/Dallas drafted Modan and have been contenders for a decade whereas the Oilers screwed up their highest draft pick in Bonsignore and have been so so for a decade. They should hang those scouts in Effigy.
In the Modano draft, Dallas missed the likes of Mark Recchi, Rob Blake, Tony Amonte, Mogilny and Kamensky.

My point? The draft is hardly an exact science. Sure, the Oilers had a penchant for missing rather than hitting, but at least that's changed to a large extent, with Prendergast running things.

The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:10 AM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I always get frustrated when teams start out the same as the Oilers 5 years ago (or 3 years since lockout) and are now way better. A team like Nashville has become a powerhouse and yet the Oilers are still floundering.

What are they doing right or what are we doing wrong? Does Nashville (to site an example), have superior drafting, coaching, playing system, player chemistry or motivation?

I know the Oilers are way better than Columbus, St. Loo and Chicago, but if we compare apples to apples what is missing that is not conducive to building a perennial winner (salary cap aside)?
to a large extent it's drafting, where they had a huge advantage because they sucked and drafted high for many years. they've also been lucky to get a guy that wasn't that highly regarded in vokoun that has turned into one of the league's best.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote