HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Time for Huge Speciman

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2007, 10:21 PM
free0717

vCash: 500
Time for Huge Speciman

Now that Shanny is hurt and out for a while, I would love to see Hugh Jessiman in the Lineup and give him a look next to Straka. He has been tearing up the ECHL and we dont really have another Power Forward Prospect at Hartford. What do you guys think?

Old
02-18-2007, 10:23 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Now that Shanny is hurt and out for a while, I would love to see Hugh Jessiman in the Lineup and give him a look next to Straka. He has been tearing up the ECHL and we dont really have another Power Forward Prospect at Hartford. What do you guys think?
I think there are much more deserving players in Hartford than Jessiman...that's what I think!

Old
02-18-2007, 10:24 PM
NYROrtsFan

he's done a nice job with the CHeckers but lets see him play in Hartford and make a difference there first...

Old
02-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Balej20*

22 points in 20 games is hardly tearing up that league. He should be doing much more if he's got a real future in the NHL.

No way does he come up over other more deserving players in the AHL.

Old
02-18-2007, 10:32 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
22 points in 20 games is hardly tearing up that league. He should be doing much more if he's got a real future in the NHL.

For him its a step in the right direction, he's gotta move up and not skip a beat though in Hartford, he can't taper off and dissapear like he has in the past. This guy is supposed to become a POWER forward, he needs to stand out every game at that level!

Old
02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I'm sure people are going to disagree with me here, but this is my take. The guys been a bust everywhere, so what do we do? We give him a shot in the NHL. Tell him it's now or never. Give him a chance until Shanny comes back and see what he can do, some guys suprise in the NHL. If he sucks, then we know he sucks and trade him or dump him and move on to something else and he if suprises, then all of the sudden we have something to work with. He's not doing anyone any good in Hartford and if he doesn't do something soon he's gonna be flipping burgers in Burger King. I realize the likelihood of this actually happening is less than zero, but it's what I think.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:03 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I'm sure people are going to disagree with me here, but this is my take. The guys been a bust everywhere, so what do we do? We give him a shot in the NHL. Tell him it's now or never. Give him a chance until Shanny comes back and see what he can do, some guys suprise in the NHL. If he sucks, then we know he sucks and trade him or dump him and move on to something else and he if suprises, then all of the sudden we have something to work with. He's not doing anyone any good in Hartford and if he doesn't do something soon he's gonna be flipping burgers in Burger King. I realize the likelihood of this actually happening is less than zero, but it's what I think.
So he's failed at the lower levels so you give him a shot at the highest level? That's like giving a guy who was demoted from administrative work to the mailroom a CEO title...I don't buy it.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:05 PM
gaels22

how are his fighting skills? at 6 6 230, hes one big mofo

Old
02-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Pock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
So he's failed at the lower levels so you give him a shot at the highest level? That's like giving a guy who was demoted from administrative work to the mailroom a CEO title...I don't buy it.
What about other sports where you can have a late pick in the draft, and they come out dominating at the highest level? Take Marques Colston or Tom Brady for example in the NFL. Brady was a 6th round pick of 7 possible rounds, but he's won 3 Super Bowls in under 4 years, etc.
You can't tell unless you try, and he shouldn't be denied a shot, but I definitley think that will not happen at all.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:15 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
he has been tearing it up in the ECHL

Old
02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pock View Post
What about other sports where you can have a late pick in the draft, and they come out dominating at the highest level? Take Marques Colston or Tom Brady for example in the NFL. Brady was a 6th round pick of 7 possible rounds, but he's won 3 Super Bowls in under 4 years, etc.
You can't tell unless you try, and he shouldn't be denied a shot, but I definitley think that will not happen at all.
I can't believe you just compared Hugh Jessiman to Tom Brady. Those players succeeded at college, the level just below the NFL. Hugh Jessiman was very good but not dominant in college. He failed to be consistent in the AHL, the parallel to college football for the NFL, and his been a point a game player in the ECHL which is like NFL Europe.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:30 PM
dkich96

i vote to give him a shot, same idea as we did with Cally... At worst he'll have a confidence boost that might help him...

Old
02-18-2007, 11:37 PM
PanniniClaus

Insane. The Rangers sent him down to the ECHL as the biggest of big wakeup calls. Time to be a pro. I can guarantee you they will not be promoting skaters from the ECHL to the NHL.Jessiman needs to show them he is serious about being a pro hockey player. get back to hartford and work hard and see what happens next year.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post

'nuff said.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Sandmachine

Though I've barely seen them play, aren't Dane Byers and Brandon Dubinsky supposed to be of a Power Forward mold?

Old
02-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Pogo

Quote:
ECHL is a loooong looong way from the big boys league. That being said I'm in an inner battle to say either make him earn anything (old school train of thought) vs **** it! throw him out there and see what he's got (last chance style).
Probably stick to making him earn it. Unless the only thing holding him back is motivation/confidence, a la Hossa. In which case a good situation may help.

Old
02-19-2007, 06:07 AM
eco's bones

First off we don't really have to call anyone up. Not sure how long Shanny is going to be out. Jessiman had 1 goal in 23 games in Hartford--what makes anyone think he's going to start scoring goals in the NHL? And if he's not put on a scoring line where are we going to put him? Other than that I don't think it sends a good message to other players who have earned it more. He needs to be successful at the AHL level before we bring him up. If you're looking for someone with size, strength and some grit in the AHL it's the older guy Isbister. He can do anything that Jessiman can do better--which is not to say I would bring him up either.

Old
02-19-2007, 07:09 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Nice thought, but not based on any reality. He struggles at the AHL level & you want to leap frog him into the NHL? No. Plus what about all the prospects in Hartford that have busted their hump to get consideration? He has to earn his call to the NHL. Right now I don't know if he gets another contract. He has a long, long way to go. Playing well in Charlotte in step one. Step two is to do what he is doing in Charlotte for Hartford, then he gets back on the radar.

Old
02-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Some guys play better in the NHL than the minors.
Take Ryan Malone for instance.
He had a very average NCAA career.
He wasn't on the Penguiss radar.
He once sticked in training camp and never looked back. I think he has something like 3 career AHL games.

Try him, what do you have to lose? Maybe if he doesn't stick, it'll motivate him to do more to come back.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
gaglinefan

HJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Insane. The Rangers sent him down to the ECHL as the biggest of big wakeup calls. Time to be a pro. I can guarantee you they will not be promoting skaters from the ECHL to the NHL.Jessiman needs to show them he is serious about being a pro hockey player. get back to hartford and work hard and see what happens next year.
I agree. There is not much HJ could do here besides ruin his confidence (?) and not do much in a few minutes per game. Our guy Marcel Hossa struggled to find his game and look, he is Producing. I am not totally suprised, more like really happy about it. We could have a front line guy here who was routinely trashed by fans including me. Let HJ work it out in Hartford and then whatever, I say trade bait; give me Mike Knuble anyday.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:06 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Uh... lets see him "tear up" the AHL first. Then maybe he deserves a look.

Callahan would be my first choice. Hes earned it.

And you bring him up and what if he does well? You keep him on the team? you know Renney isnt gonna have Hossa patience with Hugh.
What if he does bad? Then youve just assured the NHL that he is a crap commodity.

Theres a reason why hes in the ECHL guys. Being in the ECHL for 20 games isnt just a "wake up call".

Kinda funny how everyone yells and screams about Prucha being mis-managed, and now he finally gets his shot to get some top line minutes in Shannys place, and now Jessiman is the answer? Jessiman!? Pruchas played well, lets keep him there.
This is not the time for the Rangers to get creative.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 02-19-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old
02-19-2007, 08:32 AM
chosen

I saw a kid playing roller hockey the other day and he looked ok. Let's put him on the Rangers #1 line and see how it works out.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Larry Melnyk

The Rangers won't even think of Jessiman for a nano-second..He's so far offthe nHL radar it isn't even funny...

But, I'm glad he's doing well in the ECHL. gaining confidence..Hopefully he gets a late season chance for the Wolf Pack and really see if he has improved...Hoping is better then giving up...

As for a Ranger recall, the only guy I can see right now when the POs are still a possibility and only a 4th line spot open is ISBISTER again...Don't get me wrong, CALLAHAN deserves it, but it would be a waste for 5-7 minutes with Betts and Holly

Old
02-19-2007, 09:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
The Rangers won't even think of Jessiman for a nano-second..He's so far offthe nHL radar it isn't even funny...

But, I'm glad he's doing well in the ECHL. gaining confidence..Hopefully he gets a late season chance for the Wolf Pack and really see if he has improved...Hoping is better then giving up...

As for a Ranger recall, the only guy I can see right now when the POs are still a possibility and only a 4th line spot open is ISBISTER again...Don't get me wrong, CALLAHAN deserves it, but it would be a waste for 5-7 minutes with Betts and Holly
Completely agree. If Jessiman wasn't a first round pick, nobody would even consider bringing him up.

02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
while his isnt tearing up the ECHL with avg just about a point a game and for the pick he was sould be avg atleast 2 1/2points per, then atleasy avg'ing a point per in the A. But why not just give the kid a shot, for a season, you never know, just throw him in and it could all just come together, i just have a feeling with hi m at times. I must agree its like a waste of a pick, not to do anything with him atleast try it.

Closed Thread