HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - Rounds 2-7 9:00 AM NHLN

Old
03-07-2014, 08:48 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Im gonna get jumped on for this but wont be the worst thing in the world we have allot more forward depth on prospects then we do on d. As we only have 1 d prospect worth talking about at this point. Though we do have a good young d core. If rather one of the high offence center prospects with our first but we should take a d with the 2nd round. We need to reload on the long term d
I definitely think our first needs to be a forward. After Ekblad, I don't really see any dman worth taking until 12 or later. Fleury isn't really top ten material in my eyes, and McKeown has reallt fallen a lot since the start of the season, to around 15-20ish.

I'd definitely be for taking a dman with the 2nd round pick. Depends on who is available though, 2nd round could hold some decent players like Cornel who I'd have a hard time passing on for a dman.

Hopefully we get the Red Wings second (is that condition confirmed yet?) and then we can go dman/forward with the two.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 09:00 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
To put this draft in perspective, I've seen more than once that the top ranked prospect (be it Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, or whomever) would likely have gone 5th or 6th in last year's draft.

That's not to say we won't get a quality player in the top ten, but there's really not a superstar talent in this draft.

My hunch says that if Nylander is there, we take him. We like our Swedes, and he's got a really nice offensive skillset.
Honestly, I'm not really sure why this draft isn't getting some sort of hype. It's top end isn't as great as some previous ones, but it's hardly bad. Dal Colle, Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennet, Draisatl are all very high end players IMO and Virtanen/Ritchie/Ehlers/Nylander have some pretty high potential too. And the depth of the draft isn't awful either, just a different kind of depth.

Lots of (the best way I can put it) players who are very good at one dimension of the game but either raw in another or just not having any other elements. Lots of undersized scoring players like DeAngelo, Ho-Sang, Goldobin, Fabbri, Milano, Kapanen etc, lots of defensive dman, good number of power forwards.

And to be honest, I think Reinhart might be the best player to come out of the WHL in a long time. The lack of hype he's getting is astounding to me. He's one of the smartest players I've seen in a very long time. He's going to be an absolute beauty.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:14 AM
AintLifeGrand

If we stay where we are at we are getting either Nylander, Ritchie, or Draisatl

My money is on Draisatl

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I cannot see the Predators outside of the top 9 picks of this draft. If they have a player targeted, it would be an interesting gamble to move up and get that player. If Reinhart is that man, go for it.

03-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Now that the deadline is done, I'm focusing on the draft. Reading this article and here what scouts are apparently saying about a few guys of interest.

Quote:
Leon Draisaitl (WHL, Price Albert)
The same scout who was effusive in his praise for Reinhart was critical of Draisaitl based on recent showings: “His effort wasn’t there for me. One thing that troubles me is the speed of the game that he plays at—he likes to slow things down, a control game, which is fine if you can do it. But that’s the one speed he likes to play at and he’s going to have to skate faster and make quicker decisions when he gets to the next level. In terms of his commitment, willingness to go into traffic and take a hit to make a play, he’s not there for me yet.”

Another scout who was crossing over from Ontario was even more damning: “I would have trouble taking him. I don’t think he’s made the transition from the European game. Too soft. Not that I say that about all European players—I give him points for going to the Dub. But I wouldn’t want to draft him and hope that he changes. Other guys are already there.” Trending down, but in doing that scouts will be watching him even more closely in the last weeks of the season.
Quote:
Jake Virtanen (WHL, Calgary)
Said one scouting director: “I’ve seen him four times this season and before. He has one dimension but it’s a great dimension. He’s going to score. He has 40 goals. You look and he’s got half that [23 in fact] in assists. Forty goals for any draft-eligible is a big number but he only missed next year’s draft by less than a month.

“He could have 50 goals, but Calgary spreads the ice time around. It’s not like he gets rolled over on every power play or double-shifted or anything like that. And it isn’t that he dazzles to put the puck in the net. He just makes his mind up and drives hard. He has really good size and strength. Last game I saw him he put two guys out of the game with hits because he wants the puck that bad.” Trending up.
Quote:
Nick Ritchie (OHL, Peterborough)
Said an Ontario-based scout: “Ritchie’s game has been all over the place, but it’s been a lot better in the couple of games I saw him play since Christmas. I think he’s figured it out. It helps that the team is playing better since getting [centre Hunter Garlent] from Guelph. Physically he’s the most ready player to move into the NHL next year. He could play this year. He’s practically 230 lb.

“Some games [earlier in the season] it looked like he didn’t want to play. But he’s completely taken off. Every time I’ve seen him and every report I’ve read [from our other scouts] he has just taken it to another level. We had a guy there the night he scored five goals [three weeks back against Bennett and Kingston]. You can compare him to Lucic but Milan wasn’t scoring five goals, not at 18, not at 19. To me, he’s [Todd} Bertuzzi. Maybe better hands than Bertuzzi.” Trending up.
From that, Virtanen sounds tempting. Maybe a James Neal/Bobby Ryan type that just scores goals?

EDIT: Bob McKenzie (in his top prospects article) called Virtanen a "possible dynamic scoring winger". I'd rather have a C, but...I like the words "dynamic scoring".

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 03-07-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Draisaitl's horrible WJC took some of the air out of his hype balloon.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
GeauxPreds

Ehlers is also really catching fire late in the season. I think he just had 3 consecutive hat-tricks though the streak broke with a 3 point game with 1 goal and 2 assists and apparently 25 points in his last 8 games. Certainly an ability the preds could use.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Top 6 Spaling

With as wildly as some prospect rankings are varying, I'm getting the impression this draft doesn't have as much difference between 1 and 10 as most drafts do.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
With as wildly as some prospect rankings are varying, I'm getting the impression this draft doesn't have as much difference between 1 and 10 as most drafts do.
That's a fair statement. Like I said, there's no "superstar" talent, but the top 15 or so still has some really good possibilties for great players. If Nashville winds up between 6 and 9, they're likely going to come away with a forward that would rank only behind Forsberg in our system.

Old
03-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Nothing Is New

It would be interesting if we draft sixth and Ekblad slips like Jones did and was on the board.

Re-up Trotz and go for super defense!

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:12 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Reinhart apparently dropped to 4th in one of the most recent rankings ... I'd love for us to actually pick up Nylander, apparently he has the best Hockey IQ and is blazing fast
I have been looking for this since you posted it. Where did you see Reinhart dropped to
4th?

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 05:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I have been looking for this since you posted it. Where did you see Reinhart dropped to
4th?
I forget where I saw it, but I saw it as well.

Old
03-07-2014, 05:36 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I forget where I saw it, but I saw it as well.
Is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Now that the deadline is done, I'm focusing on the draft. Reading this article and here what scouts are apparently saying about a few guys of interest.

From that, Virtanen sounds tempting. Maybe a James Neal/Bobby Ryan type that just scores goals?

EDIT: Bob McKenzie (in his top prospects article) called Virtanen a "possible dynamic scoring winger". I'd rather have a C, but...I like the words "dynamic scoring".
Scratch Virtanen from ever wearing Predators Gold being a one way player and that one way not being defense means he will never be considered even with a 7th round pick

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 07:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Scratch Virtanen from ever wearing Predators Gold being a one way player and that one way not being defense means he will never be considered even with a 7th round pick
fact is, everyone, including Trotz, knows we need goal scoring. Yes, Trotz would probably try to teach the kid some defensive responsibility, but if he really is a scorer, and proved it, then just like Kariya and Arnott, he would get some leeway from Trotz, and would probably be placed on a line with a defensively responsible center who could cover for him.

Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 03-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.
PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 08:00 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

I personally believe Kariya was at a point in his career where he could politely tell Trotzy to stuff it.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

So if Buffalo gets the number 1 pick, you have to think they take the forward Reinhart or Bennet. If its Edmonton, Ekbald.

Eitherway, is it worth trying to move up to number 2-3 to get one of those two forwards, assuming the Predators are sitting 5-9. I haven't researched watched any film on these guys yet, outside of hearing about Reinhart for years (and bennet of late).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:24 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

ideally we stay at the 6th spot and get the choice of virtanen, nylander, or draisatl.

I think my preference is for draisaitl (don't look into wjc's too much, kids a stud), then virtanen, then nylander.

virtanen is a scoring machine, and would give us a nice top line power forwards possibility. issue would be he needs a playmaker. draisastl gives us a little more size down the middle and that rangy playmaking center.

2nds I would go with a defender with Nashville's 2nd, and a forward with Detroit's if they make the playoffs. something like josh Jacobs and Eric Cornell.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I think part of the reason Reinhart's stock is falling a bit is a style issue. He is a fairly pure playmaker, and teams more and more wanting their centers to be Getzlaf-y. Crazy talent, but a lot of teams would rather have a bit "worse" of a player if he plays like Getz/Lucic over Giroux.

This debate will likely come up again next year with McDavid/Eichel. Side Note: I desperately want Eichel to be a Pred.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

fact is, everyone, including Trotz, knows we need goal scoring. Yes, Trotz would probably try to teach the kid some defensive responsibility, but if he really is a scorer, and proved it, then just like Kariya and Arnott, he would get some leeway from Trotz, and would probably be placed on a line with a defensively responsible center who could cover for him.
I'm not the only one that sees this. I hear it all the time, on local radio, neutral fans, and from fellow fans. Trotz holds back offensive skill and would rather have 4 lines of "2-way" players than one true goal scorer. Yet he is OK with having one-way guys as long as that way is Defense. Kariya and Arnott were vets when Trotz coached them. They already had the reputations as scorers.

Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 03-08-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Qdp
Old
03-08-2014, 10:55 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I'm not the only one that sees this. I hear it all the time, on local radio, neutral fans, and from fellow fans. Trotz holds back offensive skill and would rather have 4 lines of "2-way" players than one true goal scorer. Yet he is OK with having one-way guys as long as that way is Defense. Kariya and Arnott were vets when Trotz coached them. They already had the reputations as scorers.
The problem is if youre going to be a floater, you had better score 25 to 30 goals because you will probably be responsible for several goals against as well.

I dont know that we have had anyone other than Rads who would have been a 25 to30 goal scorer if not for Trotz. If you only have 20 goal talent, you better play at least some defense

Old
03-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
The problem is if youre going to be a floater, you had better score 25 to 30 goals because you will probably be responsible for several goals against as well.

I dont know that we have had anyone other than Rads who would have been a 25 to 30 goal scorer if not for Trotz. If you only have 20 goal talent, you better play at least some defense
I agree somewhat, but Trotz and Poile seem to not want those players on their teams to begin with. This team has never taken a chance on a true scorer that is not defensively responsible. It is either 2-way forwards like Colin Wilson, Nick Spaling, Defensemen or Goalies. They never take a chance on the type of player like Virtanen that has the one thing this team always seem to be missing.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I agree somewhat, but Trotz and Poile seem to not want those players on their teams to begin with. This team has never taken a chance on a true scorer that is not defensively responsible. It is either 2-way forwards like Colin Wilson, Nick Spaling, Defensemen or Goalies. They never take a chance on the type of player like Virtanen that has the one thing this team always seem to be missing.
We did exactly that with Radulov..

I suppose we could have taken Nichuskin last year… but I can also understand Poiles reluctance to take a gamble in the first round although several "safe" picks have been busts too

Old
03-09-2014, 08:53 AM
AintLifeGrand

Guys; any and CGY are only 5 pts behind us.. With the way we are playing we can easily drop to number 3 or 4 in the draft.

Just pray Ekblad is taken...

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:13 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Guys; any and CGY are only 5 pts behind us.. With the way we are playing we can easily drop to number 3 or 4 in the draft.

Just pray Ekblad is taken...
Ekblad should be taken, guy's a total monster. I think after Reinhart the value is pretty equal all through the top ten. Dal Colle would be a nice get.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote