HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toughest Ranger Team You've Ever Seen

Old
02-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Yeah.

I remember there was a game against Washington in which Langdon decisioned Simon, Vandy had a great go with Witt and won and Graves even dropped the gloves with Tinordi.

This is was either right before/right after a game where the Blackhawks were in town and I saw that classic bout between Langdon and Probert (Probert always fought Beuke in that game).

You also had Shane Churla at the end of his career, Sylvain Blouin (I thought he was going to be a good NHL fighter) and Sergio Mommesso whose only Ranger highlight was a nice fight against Jovanovski.

96-97 was an interesting season.

For a while it looked like the Rangers were going to have something there.

You had Sundstrom, Dube, Vorobiev, Goneau, Peter and Chris Ferraro, Cairns, etc. who all looked like they could be part of the future.

You also still have Cloutier, Savard, Galanov, Jeff Nielson, Sorachon, in the system.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The first line was Leetch-Beuke-King-Messier-Gartner
Second line was PAtrick-Djos-Orgrodnick-Turcotte-Amonte

Always ticked me off that Graves wasn't in the top 12 forwards. He was only an option on the PK unit.
Didn't Graves play with Messier and Amonte?Didn't Turcotte play with King and Paul Broten?Sergei Nemchinov was the second line center who mostly played with Gartner and Doug Weight was the fourth line center.Then they acquired Randy Gilhen who was another center

The Rangers wanted to acquire Adam Oates from the Blues to fill their 2nd line center spot but he instead was traded to Boston for Craig Janney and Stephane Quintal

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

When the Rangers lost that playoff series in 1992 to Pittsburgh,I left for Europe two weeks later....I didn't return until Labor Day.

Graves got suspended for slashing Mario Lemieux.The slash happened in game 2 but he was allowed to play in game 3 in Pittsburgh.The Rangers beat Pitt in game 3 to take a 2-1 series lead.The day before game 4(on a Friday),the NHL suspended Graves for rest of the Pitt series.I went camping that night and poured.The next night it poured on the Rangers who had a 4-2 lead in the third period of game 4.The Rangers were on a five minute PP and did nothing with it.Pittsburgh had the momentum and then Ron Francis beat Mike Richter from the parking lot to make it 4-3.The Rangers lost 5-4 in OT when Messier went up the middle with the puck.Pittsburgh picked it off and it ended up in the Rangers net

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Didn't Graves play with Messier and Amonte?Didn't Turcotte play with King and Paul Broten?Sergei Nemchinov was the second line center who mostly played with Gartner and Doug Weight was the fourth line center.Then they acquired Randy Gilhen who was another center

The Rangers wanted to acquire Adam Oates from the Blues to fill their 2nd line center spot but he instead was traded to Boston for Craig Janney and Stephane Quintal
Yeah that's what made it weird.

Graves-Messier-Amonte were locked in as a first line
Graves scored 26 goals and was a key part of the team and was almost nowhere to be found in the game.

Turcotte then centered King and Broten (a nice little line that season) and Nemchinov came out of nowhere as a second line center to play with Gartner.

Weight, quietly played in 50 some odd games as well.

He too was nowhere to be found in the game.

That 92 season was the lost season for me. I really thought the Rangers should've won that year, but who knows what would've happened after that.

The Rangers should've and could've had a dynasty in the 90's, they started the decade with the depth to pull it off. But they overpaid for the wrong guys and then didn't pull the trigger on the deals they should've.

Old
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
When the Rangers lost that playoff series in 1992 to Pittsburgh,I left for Europe two weeks later....I didn't return until Labor Day.

Graves got suspended for slashing Mario Lemieux.The slash happened in game 2 but he was allowed to play in game 3 in Pittsburgh.The Rangers beat Pitt in game 3 to take a 2-1 series lead.The day before game 4(on a Friday),the NHL suspended Graves for rest of the Pitt series.I went camping that night and poured.The next night it poured on the Rangers who had a 4-2 lead in the third period of game 4.The Rangers were on a five minute PP and did nothing with it.Pittsburgh had the momentum and then Ron Francis beat Mike Richter from the parking lot to make it 4-3.The Rangers lost 5-4 in OT when Messier went up the middle with the puck.Pittsburgh picked it off and it ended up in the Rangers net
Richter got pulled in Game 4 correct?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
How about the 1992-3 BINGHAMTON Rangers? Sure most people remember them for amassing 124 Points and leading the AHL in Goals For (392). But they were also the best defensive team in the AHL and led the league in PIM. Even look at Don Biggs funny and you'd have to deal with Peter Fiorentino (286 PIM), Daniel Lacroix (255 PIM), Mike Stevens (230 PIM), and Dave Marcinyshyn (184 PIM). And right behind them would be Darren Langdon, Rick Bennett, Craig Duncanson, Steven King, Chris Cichocki, and Joby Messier.
That was a very good team, had the best record in all of pro hockey that year. I went to a few season games and the playoffs against Baltimore when I was going to school there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Fletch

I thought the same...

about Blouin, Edge. But when you watch him, he just didn't seem like a strong kid.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Edge

Yeah and he just didn't have the stuff to hang with the NHL big boys.

That's what was funny about Langdon, even within the Rangers organization there were always flashier options. Stock and Vandy were entertaining, Cairns, Blouin, etc. were bigger.

It was very similar to guys around the league. There were guys who were bigger, better players, younger, more hyped, etc. but in the end Langdon was a damn good fighter for a long time. He didn't have knockout power but he wasn't pillow hands either.

The guy was 6'1, 205 and went with everyone. He never backed down and he won far more than he lost. There was just something you could root for in the guy.

Old
02-15-2007, 05:40 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Yeah and he just didn't have the stuff to hang with the NHL big boys.

That's what was funny about Langdon, even within the Rangers organization there were always flashier options. Stock and Vandy were entertaining, Cairns, Blouin, etc. were bigger.

It was very similar to guys around the league. There were guys who were bigger, better players, younger, more hyped, etc. but in the end Langdon was a damn good fighter for a long time. He didn't have knockout power but he wasn't pillow hands either.

The guy was 6'1, 205 and went with everyone. He never backed down and he won far more than he lost. There was just something you could root for in the guy.
Langdon had the best endurance that I have ever seen in a fighter. The longer the fight the better Langdon did.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Fletch

Loved Langdon...

think he actually scored 6 goals one year, showing that he wasn't just a goon.

He did go with everyone and had better staying power than most fighters and always seemed to come on in the second half of the fight. The only two guys I recall him having any trouble with were Tony Twist and Stu Grissom. Stu pulled Langdon's jersey over his head and started pounding his head. Twist never really got a punch off, but Langdon mostly was holding on in that match and nobody would want to get hit by a Twist punch. That guy wound up and delivered quick, hard punches, when someone would actually drop the gloves with him.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Langdon had the best endurance that I have ever seen in a fighter. The longer the fight the better Langdon did.
That was his strategy, tire em down and then go on the offensive.
You can easily see why this guy became a fan fave. I was always a fan.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

He did go with everyone and had better staying power than most fighters and always seemed to come on in the second half of the fight. The only two guys I recall him having any trouble with were Tony Twist and Stu Grissom. Stu pulled Langdon's jersey over his head and started pounding his head. Twist never really got a punch off, but Langdon mostly was holding on in that match and nobody would want to get hit by a Twist punch. That guy wound up and delivered quick, hard punches, when someone would actually drop the gloves with him.
If anyone was the poster child for steroid testing it was Tony Twist. There was a 2-3 year period where he was terrifying. Remember when Twist almost killed Mike Peluso.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

I always thought Lagndon was going to become more of a player than he did. Especially those first two or three years under Campbell. I was thinking 10 goals, 15 some odd points but it never really happened.

Langdon rarely ever lost bad. He struggled with Grimson and like everyone else wasn't about to go toe to toe with Twist and had a bit of difficulty with McCarthy, but outside of that he was always a top 10 fighter in my book.

Old
02-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
If anyone was the poster child for steroid testing it was Tony Twist. There was a 2-3 year period where he was terrifying. Remember when Twist almost killed Mike Peluso.
Yeah no kidding.

He was one of the one's who was certainly always under suspicion and there were a lot of questions amongst people who worked in the sport.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
gravy121

Fotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iPkffrJuI

and of course, my favorite, Nick Fotiu at 3:12 (or just watch from maloney spot on as hospodar punches goalie..hehe)... Nick comes down to the stands in his white suit to beat the guy who grabbed hospodar. CLASSIC!!

Was at Saturdays game vs Flyers; and had the fortune of sitting two rows in front of Nick Fotiu. Great guy. We had a good conversation, and I had to ask about the Kings brawl - - alas, he admited he no llonger has that white suit.

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote